Comcast CEO: "Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"

willtravel

Is this question serious?

How can any of the aggressive purchases Iger has made not be considered made towards long term profitability? Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar will all made boat-loads of money until the world ends. Shareholders like myself wouldn't trade any of those purchases for a small blip of fad audience for small revenue in a small time amusement part.

Disney is being run right, this should not be questioned.

Jimmy Thick- Back to black.
Oh brother......................:rolleyes:

I forgot, in your eyes Disney Corp. does walk on water.

Skibum1970

Are Star Wars, Marvel or Pixar bad long term investments?

Please enlighten me.

Jimmy Thick- Should be good.

I think that they are good investments overall. Marvel has already paid huge dividends and so has Pixar. Lucasfilm is more than just Star Wars and gets into special effects used by other movie makers (further income if it was included in the purchase) and the new movies always have potential. I think that the big thing is that people would like to see more of these investments in the parks. I would much rather have seen something from Lucas' works, Pixar, or even Disney IP's in the Animal Kingdom expansion. At the very least, more development at Hollywood Studios would be great. I sincerely believe that a Lucas based land with Star Wars rides and let's bring on some others (Indiana Jones if possible) would be extremely successful. We just aren't seeing anything along those lines yet.

The natives are getting restless. Sometimes, in a famine, the natives move to a different area that has the goods. In this case, UNI with its new toys.

PCaudill - UNI isn't small potatoes and that's intending no disrespect to Disney.

Jimmy Thick

I think that they are good investments overall. Marvel has already paid huge dividends and so has Pixar. Lucasfilm is more than just Star Wars and gets into special effects used by other movie makers (further income if it was included in the purchase) and the new movies always have potential. I think that the big thing is that people would like to see more of these investments in the parks. I would much rather have seen something from Lucas' works, Pixar, or even Disney IP's in the Animal Kingdom expansion. At the very least, more development at Hollywood Studios would be great. I sincerely believe that a Lucas based land with Star Wars rides and let's bring on some others (Indiana Jones if possible) would be extremely successful. We just aren't seeing anything along those lines yet.

The natives are getting restless. Sometimes, in a famine, the natives move to a different area that has the goods. In this case, UNI with its new toys.

PCaudill - UNI isn't small potatoes and that's intending no disrespect to Disney.

Nice post.

But Disney is investing in their parks and building new ones. I have complete faith in Disney that they will take a look at WDW when all their other building is complete. People need to remember all Disney parks combined outdrew all Universal parks by like 100 billion people.

Universal is investing in their parks, great, fantastic, but they still have billions of miles to go to be considered true competition. Its why I have to laugh when people say how they are, the numbers say differently.

Jimmy Thick- Potter phase two? After one year, attendance around 8.2 million, all Disney parks over 10 million, at least...

lazyboy97o

Nice post.

But Disney is investing in their parks and building new ones. I have complete faith in Disney that they will take a look at WDW when all their other building is complete. People need to remember all Disney parks combined outdrew all Universal parks by like 100 billion people.

Universal is investing in their parks, great, fantastic, but they still have billions of miles to go to be considered true competition. Its why I have to laugh when people say how they are, the numbers say differently.

Jimmy Thick- Potter phase two? After one year, attendance around 8.2 million, all Disney parks over 10 million, at least...
If Shanghai Disneyland really is following the Hong Kong Disneyland model then Shanghai Shendi Group is paying about 90% of the initial construction costs. The Walt Disney Company will be paying just under 50% of the costs for the Iron Man Experience. Ratatouille: L’Aventure Totalement Toquée de Rémy is being financed by The Walt Disney Company. So where else is all of this spending happening?

gonnichi

Looking at all of the amazing things to do at Diagon Alley one thing struck me as I was thinking about how much fun this place will be. The thought that struck me was I don't care how expensive any of this is going to be, I need to do it all. I usually penny pinch my way through WDW, trying to get the most fun at the least cost. I want to throw money at Diagon Alley, lol. They sure are competing aggressively with Disney, competing for my cash!
I better start saving now. lol

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If Shanghai Disneyland really is following the Hong Kong Disneyland model then Shanghai Shendi Group is paying about 90% of the initial construction costs. The Walt Disney Company will be paying just under 50% of the costs for the Iron Man Experience. Ratatouille: L’Aventure Totalement Toquée de Rémy is being financed by The Walt Disney Company. So where else is all of this spending happening?

The Stock Buyback - which I am sure will buy back stock held by TWDC executives first...

bhg469

Is this question serious?

How can any of the aggressive purchases Iger has made not be considered made towards long term profitability? Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar will all made boat-loads of money until the world ends. Shareholders like myself wouldn't trade any of those purchases for a small blip of fad audience for small revenue in a small time amusement part.

Disney is being run right, this should not be questioned.

Jimmy Thick- Back to black.

Disney may be "run right" but wdw is not, and it has not in a long time.

PhotoDave219

Are Star Wars, Marvel or Pixar bad long term investments?

Please enlighten me.

Jimmy Thick- Should be good.

I find them fantastic long term investments that have altered the course of the company.

I'd really like to see the company leverage the IP they own in their Parks and Resorts Division.

Why am I ticked? Because Universal is going hogwild and Disney isnt doing a thing in response.

Matt_Black

I find them fantastic long term investments that have altered the course of the company.

I'd really like to see the company leverage the IP they own in their Parks and Resorts Division.

Why am I ticked? Because Universal is going hogwild and Disney isnt doing a thing in response.

Well, in regards to the Marvel IP, Disney is limited in how they can leverage that, at least in the case of WDW. They've been leveraging Lucasfilm and Pixar in the parks for decades, it's just that they own both now.

Cesar R M

"until the world ends" is a BS statement. unless they keep fresh, keep working hard to keep it going on.. it will go forever..
If not, it will go the way of many series, IP and other stuff that ended boring , repetitive and then unwanted.

Oh brother......................:rolleyes:

I forgot, in your eyes Disney Corp. does walk on water.

He earned well his reputation. (Besides Pretty sure he confirmed he said he owned disney stock.. so he clearly as to say ONLY the good AND nitpicked things to keep his profits healthy)

Iger's bonuses.

Last edited:

Funmeister's Delight

Just a little bit of my opinion of the situation in Orlando. You know I stopped visiting Orlando almost 5 years ago... I have no temptation to go back. People are always like "OH YOU LIKE DISNEY?! YOU MUST LOVE DISNEY WORLD" and I say "I used to" then they usually give me a funny look. Whenever I'm offered a trip to Florida I just say: "I'm good thanks..." My last several trips to WDW were so miserable I just haven't looked back. I really hope Universal destroys WDW's popularity so some things will actually be done. The resort has not been in decent condition in almost 15 years and to be honest I've given up on it. TDO has proved to me time and time again that they really don't care, so why should I? I suggest everyone else do the same, but that again is just my opinion.

alissafalco

Just a little bit of my opinion of the situation in Orlando. You know I stopped visiting Orlando almost 5 years ago... I have no temptation to go back. People are always like "OH YOU LIKE DISNEY?! YOU MUST LOVE DISNEY WORLD" and I say "I used to" then they usually give me a funny look. Whenever I'm offered a trip to Florida I just say: "I'm good thanks..." My last several trips to WDW were so miserable I just haven't looked back. I really hope Universal destroys WDW's popularity so some things will actually be done. The resort has not been in decent condition in almost 15 years and to be honest I've given up on it. TDO has proved to me time and time again that they really don't care, so why should I? I suggest everyone else do the same, but that again is just my opinion.
Are you in any relation to @Funmeister ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom