Comcast CEO: "Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"

WDWDad13

If you're willingness to spend at Walt Disney World has declined that seems rather dishonest that you profit from getting people to do something you would not do yourself.

So everything someone sells has to be something they would do, or wear, or eat, or go, or buy themselves?

Cesar R M

SirLink

Jim Hill really sounds like a "Uni drooler" on the latest episode of The Disney Dish Podcast. There is an excitement in his voice I have never heard before on anything else where I've heard him.

TBH he really sounded excited discussing Star Wars project for DHS ... and we know where that is.

71jason

Rumor has it that the E-Ticket attraction for Avatarland (which, as a name, makes nonsense whatsoever) is a Soarin' extension.

Disney needs to try much, much harder.

In fairness, I'd bet large sums of money it won't be called "Avatarland" when it finally opens. More likely "James Cameron presents Pandora: The World of Avatar",or something like that.

But "Avatarland" is nice shorthand, just like "Potterland." Thanks to Walt, we're stuck with the term "____land" just like we're stuck with "weenie."

lazyboy97o

TBH he really sounded excited discussing Star Wars project for DHS ... and we know where that is.
None of the Star Wars rumors have really fired my imagination. Maybe it's because I'm more familiar with Star Wars than Harry Potter so I'd have less to discover, but it's all just seemed like Disney [again] phoning it in. What if each Star Wars land was a singular place? Tomorrowland at Disneyland becomes Coruscant and in Florida we just got Endor or Tattooine and another park gets another locale?

SirLink

Because it's rumored to be a flight ride with projections right so of course all it is is soarin nothing more.

We're saying Disney needs to try much harder when they have barely even moved dirt

Yes we are - they at present are creatively bankrupt the last I would say truly great 'OMG I have to ride this as many times as I can possibly do it' E ticket was Indiana Jones at DL. RSR was good but the it was a disjointed experience, the dark ride portion was at odds with the place making of Radiator Springs.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I'm always up for a drink. If only we could spike some warm Butterbeer.

Man this thread gives me headaches...I need a drink! Who wants to join?

If you fellas can make it to Mexico Pavilion Ive two drinks ready to go! I would offer one to @WDWDad13 but judging by most of his comments I think he has already had a few.

20140121_180048.jpg

Last edited:

SirLink

I agree except for they don't HAVE to do it better than Uni

Different strokes for different folks

They are in an industry, like many on this site we are all in different industry - they need to put up the goods and quickly. If we(royal) in our respective industries just did the bare minimum, each of our industries would be poorer e.g. interactive entertainment, journalism, photography, television, etc. The problem is Disney doesn't have to do it for us the fans, they do have to do it to attract talent and they have to do it with speed and cost correctly ...

biggreen19

For me, Disney will always hold a special place in my heart, but last few years I haven't felt the magic at all. Maybe I have finally sniffed enough pixie dust that I am immune. I mean, I went from an avid fan back in 2003 to a DVC member in 2005 to dumping DVC last year. That term "declining by degrees"? I am sorry, but really see no value in return visits when very few real attractions have been added over the years, the standardization of the restaurant menus, to squeezing bus transportation to run "as lean as possible", to decreased park maintenance, to housekeeping decline, the list goes on. Man, I even remember my first stay to AKL, I was blown away by everything, even down to the pool bottom being painted a murky green to give the feel of a real watering hole. Now, it's friggin painted bright blue, no doubt enough of the life-style crowd complained that the pool looked dirty. I will no doubt return to WDW someday, but I don't know when, and quite frankly the mouse will never see my vacation dollars in the amount$ he once did.

For me, Disney is not trying, and it is really starting to show.......Uni on the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised come 2017 when Avatarland is further delayed (which I really want to check out, even though I can never sit through that movie!) people over in the mouse house are going to be wondering why the "fad" up the street continues to draw large numbers, and how is it possible a Uni park surpassed a WDW park in attendance?

lebeau

In fairness, I'd bet large sums of money it won't be called "Avatarland" when it finally opens. More likely "James Cameron presents Pandora: The World of Avatar",or something like that.

But "Avatarland" is nice shorthand, just like "Potterland." Thanks to Walt, we're stuck with the term "____land" just like we're stuck with "weenie."

Kind of like "Under the Sea- The Journey of the Little Mermaid". Why have a simple name when you can call it something complicated that no one will ever actually use?

SirLink

I'm always up for a drink. If only we could spike some warm Butterbeer.

Go into Hogs Head and ask for a Butterbeer and a shot of Whiskey when they pour the main part of the Butterbeer into a cup ask them to put the shot of whiskey in and stir. Then get them to finish with the foam. It is OMG del.ci.ous. :cat:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom