Comcast CEO: "Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"

Skibum1970

Well dude, no offence.. but thats how they react.. I've seen their "discussions" online.. the best part is this conversation is: It hasnt reached insult levels.. (while religion talks ALWAYS reach that level).

The issue is the first ones can get very violent when insisting their viewpoints are un-revocable and sole whole truth.

Anyway.. why we are moving to religion when we are talking about the UNI big spending to be #1 ?

One thing of interest in your post about UNI spending. Transformers cost a little less than The Little Mermaid ride and it is supposed to be top notch. Diagon Alley will probably have cost around $500-600 million (I don't know the total) which equates to a little less than Avatar's reported budget of $800MM. For UNI, they have two E-ticket labeled rides and a new land. AVATAR appears to have one E-Ticket and a second C-ticket, per the insiders on the board. UNI may be spending big but they're being efficient.

I am already planning a September visit to UNI to experience the new rides and I will probably spend time at WDW to see the Mine coaster. When AVATAR opens, I will schedule a trip to see it as well. However, by the time AVATAR opens, UNI may have opened a new Kong ride and possible two other rides in the Jurassic Park area. So, it isn't hard to see me splitting my time at WDW and UNI when I used to be pretty much WDW only.

tirian

How could I forget....the little nerd boy flying around on a broom is much more grown up than princesses lol

Seems I hit a button with some of you Unidroolers

So we're supposed to accept the sh*t Disney has been shoving out in Florida and not agree that other people are doing a better job right now?

Twenty years ago, Disney offered significantly more bang for the buck with lower prices (even adjusted for inflation). I'm assuming you realize that major attractions have been shut down in the MK and Epcot with no replacements or vastly inferior ones? And going back to the "resort soda" threads, do you realize resort and water park meal combos used to include drinks? At its heyday, WDW included restaurants that stayed open year-round, a third water park, a bustling DTD, a unified Tomorrowland, two extra E-tickets in the MK, Wonders of Life, a functioning D-MGM park, a full Imagination pavilion, a complete Living Seas experience, a thriving nightclub district, and much more.

And Disney was constantly pushing for newer, better attractions simply because they could. They didn't have an ounce of real competition, either.

THAT was the WDW that made it the most visited place on earth.

FLE is nice and Pandora will be interesting, but don't pretend they don't follow a decade of creative bankruptcy.

Look at all the empty buildings in Epcot. Soarin' and TT routinely have 80-minute waits because THERE ISN'T ENOUGH TO DO. A C-ticket dark ride at the Studios runs out of FPs by 10 am every day because THERE ISN'T ENOUGH TO DO. Pandora is a necessary expansion because the rest of DAK can be completed in a couple of hours.

IMO the older parts of Uni are barely better than a glorified Six Flags, yet everything since WWOHP has been incredible on the level of what Disney did years ago.

BTW, Disney still innovates on the West Coast and in other countries.

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

ABC needs to divest Disney in order to allow Disney the opportunity to move away from the management by quarter.

326.gif

Captain Chaos

So we're supposed to accept the sh*t Disney has been shoving out in Florida and not agree that other people are doing a better job right now?

Twenty years ago, Disney offered significantly more bang for the buck with lower prices (even adjusted for inflation). I'm assuming you realize that major attractions have been shut down in the MK and Epcot with no replacements or vastly inferior ones? And going back to the "resort soda" threads, do you realize resort and water park meal combos used to include drinks? At its heyday, WDW included restaurants that stayed open year-round, a third water park, a bustling DTD, a unified Tomorrowland, two extra E-tickets in the MK, Wonders of Life, a functioning D-MGM park, a full Imagination pavilion, a complete Living Seas experience, a thriving nightclub district, and much more.

And Disney was constantly pushing for newer, better attractions simply because they could. They didn't have an ounce of real competition, either.

THAT was the WDW that made it the most visited place on earth.

FLE is nice and Pandora will be interesting, but don't pretend they don't follow a decade of creative bankruptcy.

Look at all the empty buildings in Epcot. Soarin' and TT routinely have 80-minute waits because THERE ISN'T ENOUGH TO DO. A C-ticket dark ride at the Studios runs out of FPs by 10 am every day because THERE ISN'T ENOUGH TO DO. Pandora is a necessary expansion because the rest of DAK can be completed in a couple of hours.

IMO the older parts of Uni are barely better than a glorified Six Flags, yet everything since WWOHP has been incredible on the level of what Disney did years ago.

BTW, Disney still innovates on the West Coast and in other countries.

I hope you're getting well paid to make ignorant statements.
HERE HERE!!!!

Have a butterbeer (or two) and a pumpkin juice on me!!!

butterbeer-and-pumpkin-juice.jpg

WDWDad13

I'm still waiting on the results from your little poll, the one I asked if you really thought could explain things. I think I have my answer after your last few posts. Yeah, I'm a Uni-drooler all right, one that also stopped and just had my jaw hit the floor when I saw Radiator Springs, can't get back to DLR fast enough. One that also drools over the latest rides at parks like Dollywood, Cedar Point, Kings Island, etc. Could it be I'm (and most of the people here not talking kindly of Disney) not a Uni-drooler, but rather a consumer that enjoys parks as an entertainment mainstay and Universal is making the real attempt at giving me what I want? No, of course not, I'm just a Uni-drooler who likes ridiculous fads and ugly roller coasters; no taste in amazing themed areas with no substance, future attractions that take three years plus from the date of announcement. Hardly a smart, discerning person of the industry.

Give up your misplaced loyalty to a brand, a loyalty that will never actually benefit you. You may be surprised at what's out there to really enjoy.

I never did a poll but based on you mentioning dollywood (which I live about an hour away from) proves my point that most of you just want rides..and mostly thrill type rides at that. Disney is more than just rides and if some of you are forgetting that or failing to see that and take it all in then that's sad.

Dollywood has some nice coasters....but that's all they are.... no real good theming (except for the mine).

I am very impressed with what Uni is doing and I think WDW better get off their you know what and do more but that doesn't change the fact that the overall experience is still (and always may be) different at WDW than at Uni which is what millions of families still love.

The HP areas are nice but I don't know if it'll keep the mass crowds that come to see it for the first time coming back every year like so many do at WDW. They also need more family attractions. It's just a different experience and believe what you will but I like Uni's park don't get me wrong....it's just not the same atmosphere as WDW

Last edited:

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I am very impressed with what Uni is doing and I think WDW better get off their you know what and do more but that doesn't change the fact that the overall experience is still (and always may be) different at WDW than at Uni which is what millions of families still love.

See man, this is why I can't figure you out. Sometimes you're perfectly reasonable and give Uni credit for what they're doing, even though you prefer Disney; a popular, perfectly fine, stance. Then the next day, or even in the same post, you sound like Jimmy Thick Jr.

lebeau

I never did a poll but based on you mentioning dollywood (which I live about an hour away from) proves my point that most of you just want rides..and mostly thrill type rides at that. Disney is more than just rides and if some of you are forgetting that or failing to see that and take it all in then that's sad.

Dollywood has some nice coasters....but that's all they are.... no real good theming (except for the mine).

The HP areas are nice but I don't know if it'll keep the mass crowds that come to see it for the first time coming back every year like so many do at WDW. They also need more family attractions. It's just a different experience and believe what you will but I like Uni's park don't get me wrong....it's just not the same atmosphere as WDW

One person mentions Dollywood in passing and from that you extrapolate that most people who are critical of Disney World are thrill junkies? That's quite a leap you have taken.

We're members here because we love Disney World. I feel safe in saying that every single poster here wishes Disney World would roll out impressive attractions like Universal. Rides are a critical component of that equation, but not the whole picture. We all know that. That's what regional parks are for. No one is suggesting Disney build unthemed coasters. We want Disney to do what they used to do and what Universal is doing now. Raise the bar.

I agree that Universal still has short-comings. My family isn't going to Universal this year because they lack the family rides you mention. But rumor has it, they will add more family rides. And my kids will get older. Soon, it will be a perfect fit for us.

Meanwhile, the Disney experience is growing more and more stale with each passing year. And they aren't doing anything to reverse that trend.

WDWDad13

See man, this is why I can't figure you out. Sometimes you're perfectly reasonable and give Uni credit for what they're doing, even though you prefer Disney; a popular, perfectly fine, stance. Then the next day, or even in the same post, you sound like Jimmy Thick Jr.

see if this helps :)

Do I think Uni is on the right track and is designing some impressive attractions? - YES

Do I think WDW needs to do more (build new attractions, better upkeep/maintenance, etc.) - YES

Do I think WDW is stale? - not really, but maybe in some ways (I can see how some can think so)

Do I think WDW is doing nothing? - NO (plenty of things changing all around us)

Do I think Disney Springs will be impressive? - YES

Do I think Avatarland will be impressive? - YES

Did I despise the Avartarland announcements originally and thought they were nuts? - YES haha

Do I think Uni will ever take over WDW in attendance? - NO

Do I think Uni is overall better than WDW? - NO

Do I think WDW did the right thing by building and implementing the MM+ foundation? - YES

Do I think WDW could do some makeovers in each park (at least 3), connect them all by monorail and wow us
again? - YES

Do I think a lot of people on these boards are more focused on new "rides" than the overall experience, other offerings and surrounding? - YES

Do I think a lot of people on these boards are negatively close minded when it comes to anything Disney does now adays? - YES

Do I wish WDW was doing the same thing Uni was doing? - YES (but honestly, I'm glad HP went to uni and not wdw)

Do I think that the Uni mass growth in both attendance and rides is and will be cyclical over time? - YES

Do I think the MM+ and FP+ "stuff" will be ever adapting, changing, and modified down the road? - YES

Do I think ticket and food prices at both Uni and WDW are ridiculous? - YES haha

Do I think we are all unbelievably obsessed with WDW and Uni around here? - YES :)

Do I think Uni and WDW both benefit each other? - YES

Do I think WDW should look into additional transportation options? - YES

Do I think WDW room costs are ridiculously expensive? - YES

Have I ever visited Uni and IOA? - YES several times

Do I still like WDW as our family's vacation destination over Uni? - YES

Last edited:

WDWDad13

what's wrong with sounding like @Jimmy Thick ? lol

maxairmike

See, that single assumption about me just being a thrill junkie that can't appreciate the amazing themeing that Universal is currently pumping out and that Disney used to pump out because I mentioned that I also appreciate the large, unthemed (but still amazing works of art, and it puzzles me how many can't see it) rides and parks is where you falter, big time. I couldn't even begin to estimate the number of hours I've been to both Universal parks (though mainly IOA) where I did a handful of attractions, if any, and instead spent 90% of my time wandering the parks, taking in the details, studying the themeing and materials used, pondering how I would do it, what changes I would make, the stories I would create. The time must be pushing days numbering into the teens, maybe more. And I've done the same at Disney at DAK, parts of DHS, and especially EPCOT.

This is why I can recognize that what Universal is putting out right now is a much better product, while Disney created the empty FLE (yes, it is pretty, but I find it pretty lacking in substance), and that's all we have. Yeah, I'm a thrill junkie and I really enjoy my 20 second adrenaline rush on Top Thrill Dragster, the intensity of Hulk, the insane airtime on the Voyage. However, even when I was visiting Cedar Point multiple times a year (a place with supposedly no themeing) I would spend a very large chunk of time slowing down and studying the cohesiveness of the park, how everything fit together, the subtle nuances in the areas and the transitions. Yes, even in a park that many of you would view as just a concrete wasteland of un-rideable thrill rides there's a touch of that master planning holding everything together, and it is every bit as important there as at Universal or Disney.

GLaDOS

And that's it? One ride and a (admittedly very nice looking) street?

2 rides: Gringotts (which will raise the bar, yet again) and Hogwarts Express

4 streets: Diagon Alley, Horizont Alley, Crakitt Market, Knockturn Alley

2 restaurant: Leaky Cauldron (serving yet unannounced specialty food) and Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor(serving one of a kind ice creams)

Numerous shops selling unique, themed merchandise: Weasley Wizarding Weezes, Quality Quidditch Supplies, Borgin and Burkes, Scribbulus, Ollivander's, Madame Malkin's, Magical Menagerie, Wiseacre's Wizarding Equipment

There's also more to be announced including a multitude of live entertainment, a bar, and another drink location.

And of course a level of theming yet unseen in Orlando.

maxairmike

Don't forget that Ollivander's is an attraction as well as a shop, and a darn cool one at that. The same goes for the Weasley's store and Borgin and Burke's, which will be attractions in their own way. Actually, given the unique, authentic merchandise they sell and the incredible atmosphere, you could almost count all of them as attractions, but we'll just count the three I mentioned, which will have features making them much more than just stores.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom