Comcast CEO: "Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"

71jason

IMO the older parts of Uni are barely better than a glorified Six Flags, yet everything since WWOHP has been incredible on the level of what Disney did years ago.

Brilliant post, but this just makes me shake my head. Even Amity/Jaws had its appeal, and IoA out-Disneyed WDW from Day 1. As impressive as Hogsmeade is--and Diagon Alley appears to be--they are not that much of a step up from Seuss Landing or Jurassic Park with fresh paint and everything open.

WDWDad13

2 rides: Gringotts (which will raise the bar, yet again) and Hogwarts Express

4 streets: Diagon Alley, Horizont Alley, Crakitt Market, Knockturn Alley

2 restaurant: Leaky Cauldron (serving yet unannounced specialty food) and Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor(serving one of a kind ice creams)

Numerous shops selling unique, themed merchandise: Weasley Wizarding Weezes, Quality Quidditch Supplies, Borgin and Burkes, Scribbulus, Ollivander's, Madame Malkin's, Magical Menagerie, Wiseacre's Wizarding Equipment

There's also more to be announced including a multitude of live entertainment, a bar, and another drink location.

And of course a level of theming yet unseen in Orlando.

sounds a lot like what all (number wise) is rumored with the avatarland addition... of course wdw is being ridiculed for that

71jason

WOW! really? :confused:

Yes. If you're not "more focused on [number of] 'rides' than the overall experience, other offerings and surrounding[.]" Seuss Landing and Jurassic Park were more immersive than any land in MK except possibly the original MSUSA.

I saw plenty of "cowboy towns" growing up. Never saw a land without a single straight line straight out of the mind of Dr. Seuss.

lebeau

Brilliant post, but this just makes me shake my head. Even Amity/Jaws had its appeal, and IoA out-Disneyed WDW from Day 1. As impressive as Hogsmeade is--and Diagon Alley appears to be--they are not that much of a step up from Seuss Landing or Jurassic Park with fresh paint and everything open.

Agreed. I think any comparisson to Six Flags is over-stating things. And dammit, I loved Jaws.

Uni isn't JUST HP. Men in Black beats any equivalent ride at Disney. Terminator is one of the best 3-D shows in Orlando. The Simpsons and Transformers are solid new additions. IOA was a step up from DHS, DAK and arguably Epcot even before HP.

WDWDad13

Yes. If you're not "more focused on [number of] 'rides' than the overall experience, other offerings and surrounding[.]" Seuss Landing and Jurassic Park were more immersive than any land in MK except possibly the original MSUSA.

I saw plenty of "cowboy towns" growing up. Never saw a land without a single straight line straight out of the mind of Dr. Seuss.

just....wow o_O

GLaDOS

WOW! really? :confused:

in what way? steel outdoor coasters?

Oldest, most tired argument in the book. Opening day Jurassic Park was easily one of the most cohesive lands in Orlando, same with Lost Continent and Seuss Landing. Port of Entry was and still is the second best main street in Orlando. Spider-man is the best ride in the city, and possibly the world.

WDWDad13

Agreed. I think any comparisson to Six Flags is over-stating things. And dammit, I loved Jaws.

Uni isn't JUST HP. Men in Black beats any equivalent ride at Disney. Terminator is one of the best 3-D shows in Orlando. The Simpsons and Transformers are solid new additions. IOA was a step up from DHS, DAK and arguably Epcot even before HP.

WOW

TalkingHead

The New York streets at Universal Studios are a phenomenal area to explore, too. The alley that is close to the Starbucks is especially outstanding.

And, like you said, Seuss Landing should be the textbook example of how to design "a land for kids" that is still engaging for adults.

71jason

in what way? steel outdoor coasters?

Are cartoon rabbits in the old West or African, Polynesian and Caribbean architecture right on top of one another (before they even added Persian) that different? Hulk captures the loud, imposing nature of the comic book character. Dragon coasters have a red lap bar on the front seat (and only the front seat)--to suggest the dragon's tongue. Finding a way to theme steel outdoor coasters was a step forward in theme park design.

71jason

Just from what I have heard there is a LOT more going on in Diagon Alley than what has been mentioned for Avatarland.

Yes but ...

Do I think a lot of people on these boards are more focused on new "rides" than the overall experience, other offerings and surrounding? - YES

Do I think a few people on these boards are negatively close minded when it comes to anything Universal does now adays? - YES

WDWDad13

Are cartoon rabbits in the old West or African, Polynesian and Caribbean architecture right on top of one another (before they even added Persian) that different? Hulk captures the loud, imposing nature of the comic book character. Dragon coasters have a red lap bar on the front seat (and only the front seat)--to suggest the dragon's tongue. Finding a way to theme steel outdoor coasters was a step forward in theme park design.

by paint? innovative indeed

WDWDad13

I know, right? Who knew such a simple solution could be as effective as building an entire building to house the coaster? TDO made a huge mistake when it let such a talented group of imagineers go.

painting an outdoor coaster is as effective as building an entire building to house a coaster that opens up new possibilities of theming? again... this explains no much now

lebeau

nothing else to say.... this explains so much

Well, there's not a lot to say when your most compelling argument is "Wow".

I take it you are just so wowed by Universal's announement that you can't think of anything else to say?

I'm not sure why I am bothering to attempt a discussion with someone eho is clearly using any and every tactic he has available to derail the thread...

I know, right? Who knew such a simple solution could be as effective as building an entire building to house the coaster? TDO made a huge mistake when it let such a talented group of imagineers go.

Sometimes the simple solutions are the best.

The old "steel coaster" argument is so lame. One, there are three steel coasters split between two parks. Two, people like coasters. Three, each one has some element of theme that elevates them above what you would find at a regional amusement park.

TalkingHead

painting an outdoor coaster is as effective as building an entire building to house a coaster that opens up new possibilities of theming? again... this explains no much now

How again do the steel coasters at IOA explain anything about Diagon Alley?

By all accounts, Universal is a few months from opening the new "gold standard" in theme park design. End of.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom