Comcast CEO: "Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"

Animaniac93-98

You know, I'd mark out even harder for the Snow Queen's Arendelle if it was done on this sort of scale, with this level of individualized detail and commitment. Or Aladdin's Agrabah.

Many Disney locales would look great if given the same scale and approach as Carsland or HP. Heck, they even had the chance to do so with NFL, but split it into so many fragments it's never as immersive (and gave too much real estate to Dumbo's circus). A shame.

lazyboy97o

Do you really think so? Even if the final product looks as good or better than the concept image, it's still a beautifully themed shopping area. It's an alley. If Hogwarts school uniforms are the be all, end all, then I guess so. Game over man, game over.
No piece of themed entertainment has had a stronger cultural impact than Main Street, USA and even at its height it was still a "beautifully themed shopping area."

TalkingHead

How does the dragon take anything aware from the scenery? Unlike the the hat in DHS which doesn't fit with the surrounding environment, the dragon is right out of the movie and is a key part of the story of the building it is perched on.

I look at the dragon as necessary for the theme park environment.

One of the great moments walking through Hogsmeade from the Lost Continent gate is when you turn the corner and see Hogwarts looming in the distance.

Having Gringotts at the end of Diagon Alley would've been a little underwhelming. The dragon adds the necessary dramatic punch to the bank to be a (ugh, I hate this term, thanks Walt) "weenie."

The dragon is essentially an elaborate sign for the ride that you can see as soon as you enter the alley. And if it actually moves in addition to breathing fire? Could be the greatest flourish in the expansion. Even if it's static, I think it can work.

SirLink

How could I forget....the little nerd boy flying around on a broom is much more grown up than princesses lol

Seems I hit a button with some of you Unidroolers

Why do you go for the ad hominem attacks ... why not be classy and say it does nothing for you personally, and leave it at that? You know what I think - it actually scares you that the brand(read: WDW) you have cherished over the last 40 years of your life is beginning to be outpaced creatively by a newer resort.

maxairmike

Ask the kids you might be surprised

I'm still waiting on the results from your little poll, the one I asked if you really thought could explain things. I think I have my answer after your last few posts. Yeah, I'm a Uni-drooler all right, one that also stopped and just had my jaw hit the floor when I saw Radiator Springs, can't get back to DLR fast enough. One that also drools over the latest rides at parks like Dollywood, Cedar Point, Kings Island, etc. Could it be I'm (and most of the people here not talking kindly of Disney) not a Uni-drooler, but rather a consumer that enjoys parks as an entertainment mainstay and Universal is making the real attempt at giving me what I want? No, of course not, I'm just a Uni-drooler who likes ridiculous fads and ugly roller coasters; no taste in amazing themed areas with no substance, future attractions that take three years plus from the date of announcement. Hardly a smart, discerning person of the industry.

Give up your misplaced loyalty to a brand, a loyalty that will never actually benefit you. You may be surprised at what's out there to really enjoy.

TalkingHead

Give up your misplaced loyalty to a brand, a loyalty that will never actually benefit you. You may be surprised at what's out there to really enjoy.

He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named (because I have him on ignore) also says he's a travel agent peddling Disney vacations, so I think it's a combination of business interest, brand loyalty, and disappointment in the Mouse.

draybook

Reminds me of a narrow Hollywood studios alley with a stationary(?) dragon taking away from the other scenery

C'mon man, you can't be serious? I'm critical of Disney, sure, but even I have to give them credit on what Avatarland COULD be. I think you're just trying to argue this for the sake of arguing. To deny that this new Potter expansion will be anything less than stellar is absurd. I'm not even a fan of Harry Potter and this looks amazing.

SpectroMan93

Seems I hit a button with some of you Unidroolers
I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that being a Disney or Universal fan was mutually exclusive. Is it really that difficult to see that Universal has been doing amazing things in Orlando the past several years? Does anyone else think it's weird and maybe a little sad that grown adults are allowing their love for one resort make the accomplishments of another that offensive? And then it gets to the point of childish name-calling and over-shooting tempers. Over. An. Amusement. Park. I think theme park fanatics are among the scariest people I've ever come across.

Nubs70

ABC needs to divest Disney in order to allow Disney the opportunity to move away from the management by quarter.

Cesar R M

C'mon man, you can't be serious? I'm critical of Disney, sure, but even I have to give them credit on what Avatarland COULD be. I think you're just trying to argue this for the sake of arguing. To deny that this new Potter expansion will be anything less than stellar is absurd. I'm not even a fan of Harry Potter and this looks amazing.
Well, we wont know until its open.
It could go really well (if they put effort and money ) or really bad ( If Iger decides its "too costly" and starts to cut the project left and right). Or like some guys in the forum says.. they would add disco lights to the pandora creatures's animatronics when they fail.. and ruin the whole thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom