Comcast CEO: "Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Well, there are the compelling arguments that the dragon will take away from theme and that the alley looks like Hollywood Studios...

Oh, and don't forget the "ask the kids" argument that results in "the kids want to go toUniversal".

Yepp, I think it looks EXACTLY alike. Even with shops you cannot go in.... oh wait.

Excitement doesn't do my feelings justice on it.

WDWDad13

Well, there are the compelling arguments that the dragon will take away from theme and that the alley looks like Hollywood Studios...

Oh, and don't forget the "ask the kids" argument that results in "the kids want to go toUniversal".

How could I forget....the little nerd boy flying around on a broom is much more grown up than princesses lol

Seems I hit a button with some of you Unidroolers

lebeau

How could I forget....the little nerd boy flying around on a broom is much more grown up than princesses lol

You are confusing IP with execution. Disney could build equivalent attractions with a princess theme. But they didn't. Instead, they spent years building a modest expansion while Universal has repeatedly raised the bar.

Seems you're being argumentative for no good reason.

lebeau

Nor have the kids that want to go seen a movie or read one of the books. They just think it looks cool. I am willing to bet they will be getting the movies after going. Thus sealing its timeless nature.

My oldest read the first book. That sealed the deal for her. Since then she has started the second book and watched the first movie.

It's weird how kids haven't gotten the message that the Harry Potter "fad" is over. They stubbornly insist on becoming new generations of fans.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Make sure they read the books at some point.
My oldest read the first book. That sealed the deal for her. Since then she has started the second book and watched the first movie.

It's weird how kids haven't gotten the message that the Harry Potter "fad" is over. They stubbornly insist on becoming new generations of fans.

They most certainly will. I read the bulk of them within a week of release each time. Yea it is odd how the memo was left out for them. It almost seems the memo says it is gaining popularity. But hey, what do the kids know; just that they'd rather see the Boy Who Lived over NakedBluePeople.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

There's both boy nerds and girl nerds flying about. Princesses tend to stay within one gender. And neither are necessarily grown up, but the former does tend to spread the appeal around....

TalkingHead

Nor have the kids that want to go seen a movie or read one of the books. They just think it looks cool. I am willing to bet they will be getting the movies after going. Thus sealing its timeless nature.

I'd never read any of the books and had only seen one of the movies before Hogsmeade opened.

I was so taken with the environment at IOA that I ended up reading all the books and started watching the movies with my wife.

She fell in love with the movies, which we bought, and now she's reading the books. I took her to Hogsmeade last year, and she thought it was incredible. Raved about Butterbeer, Forbidden Journey, the shop windows.

We'll be at Diagon this summer ready to wait many hours to get in to see this place. I guess Hogsmeade made fans of us.

Moral of the story: It's funny what building a fully-realized environment and one-of-a-kind attraction (FJ) can do for your "brand."

Skibum1970

Disneyphiles are unwilling to give credit where it is deserved. The HP areas at IOA and UNI are both immersive and well done (guessing on the UNI expansion based upon various accounts). The HP books were some of the most popular books sold and that wouldn't be true if they appealed to nerds alone. If only Disney would ramp up their side instead of seemingly plodding along as if the UNI Resort growth was also just a "fad".

ParentsOf4

Ask the kids you might be surprised
Depends what age.

Among the children my family knows, everyone's really excited about the "new Harry Potter roller coaster" and "Hogwart's Express". (Really scary that they all know its name; who said Harry Potter was a dead franchise?)

Their biggest worry (first world problem) is whether they'll be tall enough for Gringott's.

I don't think anyone over the age of 6 cares at all about what's happening this year at WDW.

WDW isn't even trying to compete for the grade school crowd anymore. :(

71jason

You know, I'd mark out even harder for the Snow Queen's Arendelle if it was done on this sort of scale, with this level of individualized detail and commitment. Or Aladdin's Agrobah.

Although I do recognize none of these are particularly "grown-up." But as a guy* once said, grown-ups are just big kids anyway.

* (Apparently Traditions isn't a requirement to work at Celebration Plaza?)

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
I'd never read any of the books and had only seen one of the movies before Hogsmeade opened.

I was so taken with the environment at IOA that I ended up reading all the books and started watching the movies with my wife.

She fell in love with the movies, which we bought, and now she's reading the books. I took her to Hogsmeade last year, and she thought it was incredible. Raved about Butterbeer, Forbidden Journey, the shop windows.

We'll be at Diagon this summer ready to wait many hours to get in to see this place. I guess Hogsmeade made fans of us.

Moral of the story: It's funny what building a fully-realized environment and one-of-a-kind attraction (FJ) can do for your "brand."

Somewhat similar story here. I never read the books but right before our first visit to Uni I watched the films. My wife had read one of the books but that's about it. Even still, she was just as blown away as I was when she saw WWoHP.

Before we went I actually had to talk her into taking a day away from WDW to go to Uni on our anniversary trip last year. UOR totally won her over and made her look at WDW in a much different light, and it isn't a very bright light for the mouse in Orlando through her eyes.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Reminds me of a narrow Hollywood studios alley with a stationary(?) dragon taking away from the other scenery

How does the dragon take anything aware from the scenery? Unlike the the hat in DHS which doesn't fit with the surrounding environment, the dragon is right out of the movie and is a key part of the story of the building it is perched on.

Image directly from the movie:

Thedragonescpe.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom