Comcast CEO: "Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"

bhg469

Ditto. I would go so far as to call myself a former Disney fanboy, turned Universal enthusiast.
I have single day passes for both resorts in march. I haven't been to wdw in 2 years and I haven't been to universal in about 20... I think I'm gonna be a convert too...

WDWDad13

What's really crazy is how people keep saying this over and over like that has been the argument. For us former Disney fanboys that are now tooting The UNI horn. We really don't care who is making more money or who is serving more people any more than when I go to TGIFridays to get me an awesome burger and some clown outside asks my why I'm going there when everyone knows McDonald's is a better burger company because they are selling more burgers and make more money. The fact of the matter is the burgers are better at Fridays regardless how many more Mickey Ds sell every year. Will Fridays ever over take McDonlds and start selling more burgers some day? He'll no, but as a burger lover I don't give a crap. I'll still go to McDonald's and eat and I still go to Fridays and i'll always love WDW and i eat at mcdonalds more than Fridays and go to WDW more than UNI but if someone asks me who makes a better burger im saying Fridays everytime. All us UNI converts are saying is don't try to convince us Mickey Ds or Mickey Mouse is a better burger cause it ain't any longer.

obviously there are crossovers and exceptions but:
Disney tends to be more focused on the younger crowd and the overall family crowd
Uni tends to be more focused on the teen-young adult crowd

I would love to do a survey on these board with everyone that bashes Disney now and drools over the thought of Uni and see what age groups the majority fall into...I think it would be very interesting

lazyboy97o

I'd still count myself a Disney fanboy. Universal, for all they are doing, show no interest in pushing themed entertainment as a culture defining medium in places like Main Street, USA or the EPCOT Center. They're pushing immersion in wholly fictional, established places. Disney today, on its own, is just not interested in doing either.

KJC

Disney tends to be more focused on the younger crowd and the overall family crowd

I would love to do a survey on these board with everyone that bashes Disney now and drools over the thought of Uni and see what age groups the majority fall into...I think it would be very interesting

That's a dated argument that would've worked about ten years ago. All of their recent additions and expansions - Potter, Despicable Me, Simpsons, Transformers - have had broad, all ages appeal. The key difference is Universal seems to have a lot more to offer and interest young boys than Disney does at present, which is why I think it would be wise of the latter to heavily invest in a Star Wars expansion. The line to meet Optimus Prime at USF is insane!

Californian Elitist

I'd say both are geared towards families. Are you saying Uni isn't because of the coasters? Kids and adults like coasters.

maxairmike

And what if people in the age range you expect to see in the "result" heavily favored Disney over Universal as recently as Spring of 2010? What if they still watch the Disney classics on a regular basis, watch the less known/appreciated movies just as much or more, listen to predominantly Disney soundtracks, go nuts over Disney history, would be qualified by friends and family as a "Disney enthusiast?" How would that affect the view of the results? I know what you expect, the majority to fall in the 18-24 and 24-30 range, single, likely not married. I've been around the industry in a few different locations and roles to know exactly what you would expect to see on the parks side in terms of simple demographics. The thing is, this is much more nuanced than some simple demographics research can tell you. Looking at it solely through that very focused and frankly inadequate lens would be stupid, and I think you know that too. It is just as ridiculous as the Thick One proclaiming that Disney is king just because of the attendance numbers.

I know what you're trying to do, but the simple fact is that the image you would try to paint with the results would be wrong.

lazyboy97o

Limiting yourself to the vacuum of Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando Resort ignores what else people "drool" over at other parks, including other Disney parks. There is no inconsistency in "drooling" over Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort and/or Hong Kong Disneyland while "bashing" Walt Disney World. A DisneyPark is not the same as every other DisneyPark.

maxairmike

Limiting yourself to the vacuum of Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando Resort ignores what else people "drool" over at other parks, including other Disney parks. There is no inconsistency in "drooling" over Disneyland Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort and/or Hong Kong Disneyland while "bashing" Walt Disney World. A DisneyPark is not the same as every other DisneyPark.

This as well. You may like to note that several posters who "bash" WDW frequent DCL, DLR, or even...*gulp*...the international parks (the horror!).

rioriz

Who though is outright denying the problems that remain at Universal Orlando Resort? It's not that they are unacknowledged, they're just forgiven due to the general upward trend the resort has taken and the actions of management (at all levels) that show a commitment to maintaining the momentum. That is the pivotal difference. Being excited about Universal doing the bare minimum would be the standard for a "Muggle Lover."

This as well. You may like to note that several posters who "bash" WDW frequent DCL, DLR, or even...*gulp*...the international parks (the horror!).

This is something I have said ad nauseam but gets passed over a lot. When people say they have lost faith in Disney I always disagree because I see the whole, not just WDW. I sat down last year and probably watched Every angle of Mystic Manor and Grizzly Gulch for hours amazed at the product Disney can still offer.

Unfortunately WDW is not offering items like this currently, and since we are on a WDW site, the Disney Brand seems to get whittled down to just WDW.

lazyboy97o

This is something I have said ad nauseam but gets passed over a lot. When people say they have lost faith in Disney I always disagree because I see the whole, not just WDW. I sat down last year and probably watched Every angle of Mystic Manor and Grizzly Gulch for hours amazed at the product Disney can still offer.

Unfortunately WDW is not offering items like this currently, and since we are on a WDW site, the Disney Brand seems to get whittled down to just WDW.
The reason I would say your faith is a bit misplaced is due to the external actors. Disney did not decide on their own to expand Hong Kong Disneyland, they were told they had to by the Government. Even in Anaheim, Disney was fearful of changes to the Resort District due to a growing sentiment that Disney had given up on serious invest in the Disneyland Resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom