Comcast CEO: "Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"

lazyboy97o

The thing is though, Iger was appointed precisely because he was a numbers guy. The first half of the decade was not kind to Disney. Animation wise, you didn't have any really huge hits; in fact, a good number of the Disney animated films with the lowest scores on sites like Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic come from this period. Parks wise, you had the post 9/11 travel slump. The association with Pixar was about to end. AND there was the recession. Iger has turned things around for the company.

To use a Dark Knight style defense, he is not the CEO we wanted, but in some respects he was very much the CEO the company needed.
Iger was chosen by his predecessor at his worst. You also had the continued ascendancy of the remnants of the detested Strategic Planning Group. The very same people who were there to drive Disney into the abyss are the ones you say Disney needed. Even Eisner knew the value of Pixar, thus the jump in Pixar properties at the theme parks and the establishment of Circle 7 Animation Studios to exploit the rights Disney held.

Matt_Black

And yet Pixar was going to walk, because of they way they had been treated. Watch Ratatouille again, and see if you notice any subtext going on in that movie, as it was produced as the Disney/ Pixar negotiations for the future relationship were beginning to break down.

Cesar R M

What's really crazy is how people keep saying this over and over like that has been the argument. For us former Disney fanboys that are now tooting The UNI horn. We really don't care who is making more money or who is serving more people any more than when I go to TGIFridays to get me an awesome burger and some clown outside asks my why I'm going there when everyone knows McDonald's is a better burger company because they are selling more burgers and make more money. The fact of the matter is the burgers are better at Fridays regardless how many more Mickey Ds sell every year. Will Fridays ever over take McDonlds and start selling more burgers some day? He'll no, but as a burger lover I don't give a crap. I'll still go to McDonald's and eat and I still go to Fridays and i'll always love WDW and i eat at mcdonalds more than Fridays and go to WDW more than UNI but if someone asks me who makes a better burger im saying Fridays everytime. All us UNI converts are saying is don't try to convince us Mickey Ds or Mickey Mouse is a better burger cause it ain't any longer.

be careful, or Jimmy will get a heart attack upon reading that.

PeterAlt

And yet Pixar was going to walk, because of they way they had been treated. Watch Ratatouille again, and see if you notice any subtext going on in that movie, as it was produced as the Disney/ Pixar negotiations for the future relationship were beginning to break down.
No, they were acting like they were going to walk because Steve Jobs knew what he was doing.

PeterAlt

then please enlighten me - isn't the limited expansion space a similar problem at both Uni and Disneyland?
In the case of WDW, more space to grow is actually problematic in the same way size has become problematic for Detroit. You get suburban sprawl and dilapidating downtown areas.

PeterAlt

Sadly, no. Disney might never find its voice again and that's what concerns us former pixiedusters the most.

I spent decades thinking Walt Disney World was the most "magical" place in the world, I truly did.

Until a few years ago, I still felt that way. But I also knew something that most did not. I knew from an insider what corporate Disney would become under Bob Iger. That it would be turned into a soulless conglomerate with massive profits and soaring stock prices. That the customer came second, a very distant second, to shareholder equity and corporate leadership's stock options.

Still, I did not want to believe. I grew up adoring Walt Disney World. Was Iger really that much different than Eisner?

Eisner, for all his many faults, still cared. Still believed in the product. Still believed in Imagineering. Still believed that Walt Disney World needed to build, to expand, to add. To explore new ideas. To reward customer loyalty. Eisner still believed that the Disney brand meant something special.

Not Iger.

Iger has no vision. Iger is a numbers guy, a bookkeeper running a multibillion dollar corporation. He could be the head of any of massive money-making institution. Iger has no passion for the product, for the parks. They are just numbers to him, nothing more.

After years of skyrocketing prices, stagnation, quality cuts, miserly pays increases for Cast Members, and rounds of layoffs because Disney's billions in profits were not enough, I've come to realize that my source was all too accurate. That MyMagic+ was nothing more than a poorly conceived money grab created by those who spent as little times as possible in the theme parks they run, a waste of corporate funds that could have been used to build so much more.

I've come to realize that Iger is the epitome of what's wrong with corporate America today. Charge customers more for less. Take advantage of fan loyalty, of the brand name. Allow the product to grow stale. Squeeze employees while simultaneously cashing in on multi-million dollar stock options and attending the latest $1,000 per plate "benefit" for whatever politician or social cause was in vogue at the moment.

I fear that like so much of America, the Walt Disney World that I grew up loving might be gone forever.
Amen, brother!

I think Iger does realize that there's just so much you can push before customers protest. I think he knows he's walking on a very thin rope that's nearing dangerous levels. That's why we are seeing the sudden push in quality for AK projects, but a blind eye on less problematic WDW parks.

PeterAlt

I always wondered if it would benefit Uni to purchase SeaWorld and make that part of their vacation package offering as well
I've thought about this. I actually believe it was in the cards. I think somehow Blackfish is a variable here. Either to push the price down for Comcast or to make the property look unattractive to Comcast. I think all I-Drive properties are being watched very carefully by the company. What will actually happen will depend on the local real estate market in the area.

PeterAlt

Yes. In the left side of the highlighted area is where they currently building the Cabana Bay Beach Resort. The smaller plot between Cabana Bay and Royal Pacific is where Uni's 5th resort will go. It is rumored to be a very high end boutique resort that is supposed to be similar in amenities to The Four Seasons and The Ritz Carlton.

If you look south of I4, Uni recently purchased 55 acres at I-Drive and Universal Blvd. where Wet and Wild and it's parking lots sit. This is rumored to be for 2 large hotels and a new CityWalk like complex. And to be linked to the current resort with a peoplemover or monorail type of transportation system.

And they are rumored to be eyeing more property along Universal Blvd.
I can't wait to see this play out! I want Comcast to win the first round. How else do you convince Disney to do the things people like me have been saying they should be doing?

PeterAlt

I guess you've been answered. In short:

5th resort next to Cabana Bay.

Possible relocation and consolidation of some studios support areas. IOA still has two expansion pads and other areas that will be utilised soon. Studios has one, being consolidated soon, and both parks have under used theatre areas that could be better used. One or two current attractions are also being looked at for retirement.

Wet n Wild land, parking lots, and some ancillary land is now theirs.

Its no secret they've been eyeing land around Major Blvd east of Kirkman. I believe this is now on the back burner.

There's also the large plot mentioned above (Lockheed) that was theirs, then sold by previous owners, and is now coming back into discussion.

It's also no secret they are looking at a mass transit system to link these or other areas.

Early days but serious discussions.
Yay!

Matt_Black

No, they were acting like they were going to walk because Steve Jobs knew what he was doing.

Oh, he's a shrewd business man, but again, that doesn't explain some of the digs at Disney's corporate practices in Ratatouille (hint- Skinner is The Disney Company, and Gusteau is Walt).

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Iger was chosen by his predecessor at his worst. You also had the continued ascendancy of the remnants of the detested Strategic Planning Group. The very same people who were there to drive Disney into the abyss are the ones you say Disney needed. Even Eisner knew the value of Pixar, thus the jump in Pixar properties at the theme parks and the establishment of Circle 7 Animation Studios to exploit the rights Disney held.

Now they don't need Circle 7; they can FORCE Pixar to schlock out Cars 2 while Disney further bastardizes the product with Planes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom