Comcast CEO: "Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"

pheneix

I just skimmed this thread.

It seems like fans and cast members alike who still have "the Disney" in them are getting more and more anxious and agitated whenever the word "Universal Studios" comes up. Seriously, morale at WDW is already bad enough on its own. Bring up Universal and you're likely gonna get an incoherent and scattershot argument about "why Universal sucks!" in return.

There's lots of red appearing in this pure blue ocean, people. And Diagon Alley is not even open yet.

Btw, @ParentsOf4 , Transformers for Orlando came in well under $100M. Well, it was supposed to anyway! :D

BryceM

it was also failed to mention that Midway Mania is a ride in a park of, what, 6 rides? 4 of them being considered "thrilling" or "scary". the other being a completely miserable waste of time...

but I doubt my point even matters

Matt_Black

I just skimmed this thread.

It seems like fans and cast members alike who still have "the Disney" in them are getting more and more anxious and agitated whenever the word "Universal Studios" comes up.

And Uni fans seem more and more determined to prove how much "better" their park is. It's a vanilla / chocolate scenario, in my opinion. No one is right or wrong for liking one over the other. I like one, and will state why I like it.

pheneix

it was also failed to mention that Midway Mania is a ride in a park of, what, 6 rides? 4 of them being considered "thrilling" or "scary". the other being a completely miserable waste of time...

but I doubt my point even matters

Has anyone here ever added up all the hourly capacities of all the rides and shows in these parks and arrived at the total number of guests per hour any of these parks can actually host?

Universal's parks are larger and can host many thousands more guests per hour than any Disney park in Florida save for Magic Kingdom. Which, unsurprisingly, is a larger facility that can host many more thousands of guests per hour than Universal's parks.

Definitely worth keeping in mind when comparing wait times between parks. Also, Disney's operational efficiencies are quite poor and their rides post some of the lowest hourly counts in the industry when compared to peers who use similar rides. (Toy Story at DHS does 1100/hr at best and 900/hr on average. No surprise it has three hour waits!)

Universal's wait times are almost always going to be shorter, even when they are busier.

Matt_Black

Universal's parks are larger and can host many thousands more guests per hour than any Disney park in Florida save for Magic Kingdom. Which, unsurprisingly, is a larger facility that can host many more thousands of guests per hour than Universal's parks.

True, but that doesn't take into account park hopping.

pheneix

True, but that doesn't take into account park hopping.

Which makes Universal's choo choo train ride all the more interesting. If a guest goes to USF, hangs out in Diagon for two hours, then hops a train to IOA and hangs out there for the remaining 10 hours of IOA's operating day, which park did they really "visit"? I think for most guests that question will only be solved by going back to Universal for a second day.

Matt_Black

Indeed. WDW has four parks, two water parks, a shopping complex, and a host of other activities around the area to help defray crowds at any one park. At Christmas time, I'd hit Magic Kingdom in the morning while there was no one around, and then go elsewhere as the crowds started to build up.

Skibum1970

In my opinion, the thing that matters is the difference in the two companies. One has the market share and is content to stand pat. I don't count Avatar construction as it is several years from fruition. Yes, the mine ride opens sometime this year but also was constructed slowly. Meanwhile, UNI has added a flat ride, Transformers, and the expansion to HP in the same timeframe as the mine ride's construction. Also, Disney is rolling out MyMagic with hopes of gaining profits through merchandising and Disney's reputation. Given that most visitors don't read about or care about the insider information, this might work out. For a while.

Down the street, UNI wants more market share. The way to do that is through intensive growth and that means building more attractions. They are hoping to poach from Disney's normal visitors by offering some more thrilling rides based upon great IP's (HP, Kong, and others). This will probably be effective on the teenage crowd and also on the people who typically did repeat vacations at Disney (UNI has new stuff and Disney is same-old).

So, many of us wish that Disney took the approach of building more rides or, at the least, keeping the current rides maintained. It is fine for those who love Disney to stay true to that. However, don't insult or downplay those of us who like the fact that UNI is bringing in some awesome looking rides/lands.

draybook

And Uni fans seem more and more determined to prove how much "better" their park is. It's a vanilla / chocolate scenario, in my opinion. No one is right or wrong for liking one over the other. I like one, and will state why I like it.

But what defines a "Universal fan"? It seems on these boards that if you voice your approval of Universal then you're a "Uni fan". Make no bones about it people, I STILL prefer WDW over Universal even after the lousy experience we had back in September. Or should I state that I still prefer Epcot, AK and DHS. The MK has turned into Hell as far as I'm concerned. However, even a sissy, non-thrill riding pansy like me can see the writing on the wall. As far as giving the people the best BANG for their buck, Universal is giving Disney the beat down right now.

I mean c'mon folks, there's a poll in the other thread about the two expansions between the two brands. On this DISNEY forum, the Universal expansion is giving the Disney expansion a whipping. That's not just a fluke if you ask me. Right now, Disney is giving the regular visitors and AP'ers the big middle finger while they stuff cash into their pockets with their free hand.

I really hope that Avatarland is as good as some folks think it will be. I would love to stay later in that park and see the night time shows and events. Plus, I'm hoping it will thin out the MK crowds a little so I can venture back into that park without wanting to commit a felony assault.

alissafalco

But what defines a "Universal fan"? It seems on these boards that if you voice your approval of Universal then you're a "Uni fan". Make no bones about it people, I STILL prefer WDW over Universal even after the lousy experience we had back in September. Or should I state that I still prefer Epcot, AK and DHS. The MK has turned into Hell as far as I'm concerned. However, even a sissy, non-thrill riding pansy like me can see the writing on the wall. As far as giving the people the best BANG for their buck, Universal is giving Disney the beat down right now.

I mean c'mon folks, there's a poll in the other thread about the two expansions between the two brands. On this DISNEY forum, the Universal expansion is giving the Disney expansion a whipping. That's not just a fluke if you ask me. Right now, Disney is giving the regular visitors and AP'ers the big middle finger while they stuff cash into their pockets with their free hand.

I really hope that Avatarland is as good as some folks think it will be. I would love to stay later in that park and see the night time shows and events. Plus, I'm hoping it will thin out the MK crowds a little so I can venture back into that park without wanting to commit a felony assault.
I would like to hear about what happened on your last trip to make it so un-enjoyable. Have you posted it anywhere? In a TR?

lazyboy97o

Some of us are trying to look beyond personal preferences and discuss bigger trends and developments. How the industry is shifting is not a matter of personal taste.

maxairmike

Or some of us have no sense of loyalty to a park brand (I learned several years ago that these days the $ is what matters, they don't care about the guest beyond what's needed to part you and your money, Disney included and especially), and thus gravitate to the park(s) actually creating compelling experiences to make parting with my money more tolerable. I have no loyalty to a park beyond what it has done for me lately, I just can't stand the misinformed and in many cases flat out wrong "opinions" pushed as "fact" by some.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom