Comcast CEO: "Universal will compete aggressively with Disney"

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And Uni fans seem more and more determined to prove how much "better" their park is. It's a vanilla / chocolate scenario, in my opinion. No one is right or wrong for liking one over the other. I like one, and will state why I like it.
Funnily, more and more, its Disney-or-die fans saying now much Uni fans think Disney is worse. An interesting observation from these parts in the past year or so. And that's not a dig at you personally.

PeterAlt

But what defines a "Universal fan"? It seems on these boards that if you voice your approval of Universal then you're a "Uni fan". Make no bones about it people, I STILL prefer WDW over Universal even after the lousy experience we had back in September. Or should I state that I still prefer Epcot, AK and DHS. The MK has turned into Hell as far as I'm concerned. However, even a sissy, non-thrill riding pansy like me can see the writing on the wall. As far as giving the people the best BANG for their buck, Universal is giving Disney the beat down right now.

I mean c'mon folks, there's a poll in the other thread about the two expansions between the two brands. On this DISNEY forum, the Universal expansion is giving the Disney expansion a whipping. That's not just a fluke if you ask me. Right now, Disney is giving the regular visitors and AP'ers the big middle finger while they stuff cash into their pockets with their free hand.

I really hope that Avatarland is as good as some folks think it will be. I would love to stay later in that park and see the night time shows and events. Plus, I'm hoping it will thin out the MK crowds a little so I can venture back into that park without wanting to commit a felony assault.
Here's the thing. We have to look at trends. The trend lately has been that Comcast is willing to invest whatever it takes to whoop Disney in the you know what. Disney, up until now, showed little interest. Let's say that Disney continued on a policy of minimum park investment. They would still have a lot more over Universal for some years to come; but, eventually, Universal would be "cool" and WDW would be boring and stale. Fortunately, I now have some confidence that Disney is finally taking Universal seriously, making the bold and courageous decision to fund Avatar (and the other DAK improvements) at $800 million - double what they said originally. I am concerned, however, that they are concentrating the "bang" into a single spot, instead of spreading it out. By concentrating the all that bang into a single area, this guarantees better chances to "wow" and "awe" WDW guests, versus the potential with HP.

PeterAlt

Me I'm typing this naked with two pencils up my nostrils while twerking my MacBook to the tune of Blackadder Goes Forth.

While the manager already asked me to leave this Starbucks twice.
I've tried that and ended up in a tank naked at Sea World on a mission trying to save orcas after being transported from EC's Living Seas when I accidentally climbed into the tank from a tunnel I dug while trying to photograph and find buried monorail footINGs!

culturenthrills

Per Disney's 10K filings, Per Capita Guests Spending (PCGS) (that's the amount spent per guest at the theme parks):

- 2011: up 8%
- 2012: up 7%
- 2013: up 8%

Those are the 3 highest percent increases this century.

Disney has maintained aggressive PCGS growth in recent years. Some might suggest too aggressive growth since median household income has trailed far behind.

Similarly, Per Room Guest Spending (PRGS) (the amount spent at the hotels):

- 2011: up 8%
- 2012: up 7%
- 2013: up 4%

People only have so much to spend on their vacations and WDW's hotels are so damned expensive.

What Disney wants to do with MyMagic+ is to bring "value" into Disney's hotels in order to bridge the growing gap between the price of onsite and offsite hotels. Increase the perceived value of WDW's hotels enough and more guests will shift from offsite to onsite stays.
The thing is though that Disney's increases are mostly due to jacking up there prices. That is unsastainable because they are already starting to price some families out of staying with them. UNI increases have been due to increased attendance, increased guest spending on unique merchandise and food offerings.

TalkingHead

A Jason Garcia story about the Hogwarts Express and what it means for Universal's ticketing:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-cfb-forecast-theme-parks-20131224,0,3306766.story

Funny part is the "Forecast 2014" at the end of the story:

Bright spots: Walt Disney World will complete its Fantasyland expansion in the Magic Kingdom with the opening of the "Seven Dwarves Mine Train." SeaWorld Orlando is deploying more walkway performers, pop-up entertainment and animal encounters as part of its "Sea of Surprises" 50th anniversary promotional campaign.

Storm clouds: SeaWorld is still battling fallout from "Blackfish" and anti-captivity activists. Disney's still scrambling to fully implement its billion-dollar "MyMagic+" technology systems. And Universal has a high bar to clear following the success of the original Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Trends to watch: Disney's MyMagic+ is the boldest — and most expensive — attempt to weave new technologies into the park experience, but Universal and SeaWorld are also testing and expanding things such as new ride-reservation systems and mobile-ticketing platforms.

Maybe it's just me, but the bright spots should include Universal's expansive new area with multiple attractions and atmosphere to spare. In fact, I'm not sure how you conclude anything about Diagon Alley is a "storm cloud," unless you're trying to manufacture drama.

And I'd say Seven Dwarves Mine Train is as much a bright spot as storm cloud. Worried about how guests will handle the 90-120 minute waits after it gets hyped as the "big" new thing this year.

PeterAlt

A Jason Garcia story about the Hogwarts Express and what it means for Universal's ticketing:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-cfb-forecast-theme-parks-20131224,0,3306766.story

Maybe it's just me, but the bright spots should include Universal's expansive new area with multiple attractions and atmosphere to spare. In fact, I'm not sure how you conclude anything about Diagon Alley is a "storm cloud," unless you're trying to manufacture drama.

And I'd say Seven Dwarves Mine Train is as much a bright spot as storm cloud. Worried about how guests will handle the 90-120 minute waits after it gets hyped as the "big" new thing this year.
What they are doing for AK is exactly what they need to do for that park. (They should also find money to fix and improve EE.) To further improve capacity at MK and compete properly with USO, they need to add two more E-tickets to that park: Fire Mountain at Adventureland and Oz at Fantasyland. (The should also find money to fix and improve Space Mountain and BTMRR.) Of course, EC and HS need a lot of TLC too. If they do all these things, they won't have to worry about Uni taking future business from them.

Tony Perkis

What they are doing for AK is exactly what they need to do for that park. (They should also find money to fix and improve EE.) To further improve capacity at MK and compete properly with USO, they need to add two more E-tickets to that park: Fire Mountain at Adventureland and Oz at Fantasyland. (The should also find money to fix and improve Space Mountain and BTMRR.) Of course, EC and HS need a lot of TLC too. If they do all these things, they won't have to worry about Uni taking future business from them.

After NFL is completed, you can bet that the Magic Kingdom won't be receiving any significant additions for a good while.

PeterAlt

After NFL is completed, you can bet that the Magic Kingdom won't be receiving any significant additions for a good while.
Tony Baxter designed an Oz attraction for DL's FL before he retired. I think something like that wedged between Haunted Mansion and north of FLE would complete that section of the park, adding capacity and appeal at the same time. They need to give Space Mountain and BTMRR all the enhancements given to and planned for DL. Finally, they need to add the once-planned Fire Mountain inverted roller coaster to Adventureland. Then, MK would be "complete".

Tony Perkis

Tony Baxter designed an Oz attraction for DL's FL before he retired. I think something like that wedged between Haunted Mansion and north of FLE would complete that section of the park, adding capacity and appeal at the same time. They need to give Space Mountain and BTMRR all the enhancements given to and planned for DL. Finally, they need to add the once-planned Fire Mountain inverted roller coaster to Adventureland. Then, MK would be "complete".

I'm sure there are a number of blue sky ideas and attractions floating around WDI for MK. That doesn't mean Disney is going to invest in them.

PeterAlt

I'm sure there are a number of blue sky ideas and attractions floating around WDI for MK. That doesn't mean Disney is going to invest in them.
True, but we can hope and dream. It would also be a prudent investment, considering increased competition from Uni and the need to increase capacity.

Funmeister

Momentum. For just a moment we are no longer "Disney" or "Universal" fans. Let's say Avatar opens and totally blows everyone away and is better than WWoHP and the Diagon Alley expansion put together. Let's say it becomes the best themed experience in the world making Tokyo Disney Sea look like Splendid China.

Look at the momentum Universal will have by the time it opens in 2017 (2018 anyone?) Universal has some announcements coming up that will fill the their construction slate between now and the opening of Avatar. It would not surprise me if rumors really start heating up about a third phase of Potter. Where would it go? No one ever thought phase two was going to be in the sister park next door!

The point is at this point Disney IS losing its hold on market share. (Not only in Florida but that is another thread) If...IF Universal builds a third gate and the 15,000 hotel rooms materialize I really think they can and will give Disney daily competition. They will only be lacking 8,000+ hotel rooms than Disney. Think about that for just a moment. 8,000+ rooms away from matching what Disney has on property. That means that Universal is very confident on what is coming in the next five to ten years.

They are building the infrastructure for what is to come...not what they already have.

The only way Disney can stop this is to get MM+ firing on all cylinders and go through its own renaissance with the addition of new shows and attractions FOR EACH OF THE FOUR PARKS at the rate Universal is currently building.

7DMT will not bring in addition attendance. The company will not spend huge amounts of money on marketing 7DMT. It will be an "add-on" marketing piece. Basically they will try to attach the "NEW" 7DMT marketing message on previously scheduled national marketing and media. (This does not apply to local advertising such as bus wraps and billboards)

Even if they announce Star Warsland and/or Carsland tomorrow morning, what is the earliest you think it will open to guests? 2018? 2019? Avatar is already scheduled for 2017. Any major project announced now you can expect to open after Avatar.

Things will change with Disney but I am afraid it will not be until after Iger is gone and hopefully someone who wants to put quality back into the product will reign.

Fun Fact: Prior to DAK opening in 1998 there were marketing plans, financial analysis and impact studies made on the impact of quickly adding a fifth gate. For various reasons the company realized pretty quick that the investment in DAK was probably not the best. I heard from many that investing the amount it cost to build DAK in the other three parks would have been much more beneficial over the cannibalization DAK continues to have on the other parks (Disney) today. MM+ is part of a plan to help recoup some of those costs. Problem is it is over budget and will probably never pay for itself.

Thoughts? Comments?

PeterAlt

This is the part I found most interesting:
And it's no wonder they are excited. Analysts expect the Hogwarts Express will give Universal the leverage to dramatically raise the price of Universal's "park to park" passes.

Robert Niles, publisher of ThemeParkInsider.com, recently predicted that the price of a one-day, two-park ticket at Universal will leap to $149 before tax — a 16 percent bump from the current $128 price. (A one-day, one-park ticket to either Universal Studios or Islands currently costs $92 before tax.)
In other words, if they succeed in raising prices for park hopper tickets, you can bet Disney will do something similar between EC and HS, such as a people mover (which Hogswarts really is).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom