News Coco Boat Ride Coming to Disney California Adventure

etc98

I am hoping Coco would have one small drop. A fume ride without one would be so underwhelming for a dark ride.
I could imagine it sort of mirroring pirates. The ride path meanders through Miguel’s village, into the cemetery, and then into Ernesto’s mausoleum. Then goes down a drop and you wind up in the land of the dead for the main part of the ride

mickEblu

Original Poster
While it would be nice for Coco to be themed to fit contextually at its entrance or surrounding area, we can look at Little Mermaid or Monsters Inc. to see that those attractions aren't really in Mermaid or Monsters contextual areas.

Pixar is its contextual theme. The lights on the Pixar Promenade kinda already look like the lights on some of the Coco buildings in the movie.

They could just extend Pixar Pier until Mermaid and finally give Performance Corridor the ride it’s always deserved. Not sure retheming the rest of the carnival rides is worth it though if they re not putting Coco in the Gardens area.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I could see it being 8-12 mins long. I mean NRJ is 5 mins long, so its not hard to add 3-7 mins.

It would be great but what gives you that confidence? Other than Pirates in Shanghai which is the headliner of the park and located in China, has any ride they have done in recent memory been longer than 5-6 minutes? I can’t think of one. I’d be very happy if Coco is 8 minutes long or more. I’m more confident in the Avatar boat ride having a longer ride time.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It would be great but what gives you that confidence? Other than Pirates in Shanghai which is the headliner of the park and located in China, has any ride they have done in recent memory been longer than 5-6 minutes? I can’t think of one. I’d be very happy if Coco is 8 minutes long or more. I’m more confident in the Avatar boat ride having a longer ride time.
Well the fact they called out Pirates and HM specifically as their inspiration is one reason. And yes Pirates at Shanghai, which is ~8 mins long, that was only built 8 years ago as another reason.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Well the fact they called out Pirates and HM specifically as their inspiration is one reason. And yes Pirates at Shanghai, which is ~8 mins long, that was only built 8 years ago as another reason.

Pirates is Shanghai’s signature attraction in a park where they were trying impress Chinese fans at the first ever Disney park in mainland China. And it’s the only attraction in the last 10-15 years that’s over 6 minutes and that’s giving you confidence? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Coco is most likely a D ticket. Maybe a soft E if you consider Frozen at Epcot an E ticket.

Shanghai POTC is only 8 minutes long? Thought it was longer. That’s probably what I would expect for Avatar then. Then probably 5 minutes or so for Coco.

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

Pirates is Shanghai’s signature attraction in a park where they were trying impress Chinese fans at the first ever Disney park in mainland China. And it’s the only attraction in the last 10-15 years that’s over 6 minutes and that’s giving you confidence? 🤷🏻‍♂️ Coco is most likely a D ticket. Maybe a soft E if you consider Frozen at Epcot an E ticket.

Shanghai POTC is only 8 minutes long? Thought it was longer. That’s probably would I expect for Avatar then. Then probably 5 minutes or so for Coco.
Even the latter Pirates in Tokyo and Paris are shorter than the original and closer to the 10-12 minute mark, despite not having that different from the Disneyland version. Granted, a big part of that is not having to waiting to go up the waterfall as at DL, as it's either done after riders disembark (Tokyo) or having it integrated early in the ride at a point where it isn't as likely to cause a big backup (Paris).

The only attractions I can think of that are really long (like, 16 min or more) outside of Disneyland (and, in some cases, clones elsewhere) are Kilimanjaro and Living with the Land, maybe Spaceship Earth.

MK-fan

When are we thinking this ride is gonna open 2028-29?

My ideal timeline for the next 6 years:

2025: Disneyland’s 70th Anniversary Celebration

2026: DCA’s 25th Anniversary; New or returning parade, New World of Color
New Smuggler’s Run adventure

2027: Avengers Infinity Defense, Stark Flight Lab

2028: New Coco Ride

2029/30: Avatarland

2030: Disneyland 75th Anniversary Cerebration, New Tomorrowland

Hopefully this is the way things turn out and if a New Tomorrowland doesn’t pan out, hopefully the proposed New Tomorrowland entrance is done by the 75th. Hard to believe that thing still hasn’t been done after work began 5 years ago. Tomorrowland 67’ and 98’ are separated by 31 years. If we get a new version of the land in 2030, it will be 32 years between then and 98’.

Last edited:

coffeefan

Even the latter Pirates in Tokyo and Paris are shorter than the original and closer to the 10-12 minute mark, despite not having that different from the Disneyland version. Granted, a big part of that is not having to waiting to go up the waterfall as at DL, as it's either done after riders disembark (Tokyo) or having it integrated early in the ride at a point where it isn't as likely to cause a big backup (Paris).

The only attractions I can think of that are really long (like, 16 min or more) outside of Disneyland (and, in some cases, clones elsewhere) are Kilimanjaro and Living with the Land, maybe Spaceship Earth.
IDK about other parks, but this is Disneyland, and we're used to long boat rides. A dark boat ride that's only 5 minutes would feel so unsatisfying right next to the Disneyland classics. On the lower end, I hope it's at least 8-10mins long.

I have faith in Pirates/HM being the inspiration too, and in Daniel Jue being in charge of overlooking the changes at the parks.

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

IDK about other parks, but this is Disneyland, and we're used to long boat rides. A dark boat ride that's only 5 minutes would feel so unsatisfying right next to the Disneyland classics. On the lower end I hope it's at least 8-10mins long.

I have faith in Pirates/HM being the inspiration too, and also Daniel June being in charge of overlooking the changes at the parks.
Yes, and you may have noticed that despite that, the only really long ride (16 min or more in duration, as noted in the post you quoted) that's been built anywhere remotely recently is Rise, and even then that's if you're counting the length of the entire experience, and even Rise just barely makes it.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Yes, and you may have noticed that despite that, the only really long ride (16 min or more in duration, as noted in the post you quoted) that's been built anywhere remotely recently is Rise, and even then that's if you're counting the length of the entire experience, and even Rise just barely makes it.

Yup those rides were built in the 50s and 60s. Plus, Coco is going to DCA in Pixar Pier. People will be ecstatic to just be entering a highly themed show building in that land/park. I’d be very happy if the Coco ride is 6 minutes +

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Shanghai POTC is only 8 minutes long? Thought it was longer. That’s probably what I would expect for Avatar then. Then probably 5 minutes or so for Coco.
Well I would expect them both to be over 6-8 minutes in general. So if you're saying Avatar will be longer, and I have no reason to think different, then I would say Avatar would be ~8-12 mins and Coco ~6-10 mins (which puts it around a similar length as the new Tangled ride at TDL). I think they've learned from NRJ that 5 mins is too short.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Well I would expect them both to be over 6-8 minutes in general. So if you're saying Avatar will be longer, and I have no reason to think different, then I would say Avatar would be ~8-12 mins and Coco ~6-10 mins (which puts it around a similar length as the new Tangled ride at TDL). I think they've learned from NRJ that 5 mins is too short.

I just checked YouTube- looks like the Tangled ride is about 6 min long.

Hope you re right. I just don’t don’t think it’s likely.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I just checked YouTube- looks like the Tangled ride is about 6 min long.

Hope you re right. I just don’t don’t think it’s likely.
Well lets flip the question on its head....

Outside of NRJ what boat ride at any Disney Park is less than 6 mins? If the answer is 0 or 1 (in case I forgot one) that should give you enough confidence that it'll be at least 6 mins if not longer.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Well lets flip the question on its head....

Outside of NRJ what boat ride at any Disney Park is less than 6 mins? If the answer is 0 or 1 (in case I forgot one) that should give you enough confidence that it'll be at least 6 mins if not longer.

You could probably sell me on 6-7 minutes if perhaps there is a shift in Mindset after NRJ but don’t see it being longer than that. Looks like the Frozen boat ride that just recently opened at Hong Kong is only about 7 minutes long though and that’s the lands headliner.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You could probably sell me on 6-7 minutes if perhaps there is a shift in Mindset after NRJ but don’t see it being longer than that. Looks like the Frozen boat ride at Hong King is only about 7 minutes long though and that’s the lands headliner.
Ok, but that is still longer than the 5-6 mins you originally were saying it would be. So we're making progress.... ;)

Anyways, as NRJ is the only real example of a less than 6 min boat ride with more recent examples being at 6 mins or longer I don't think there is any reason to think it'll be less than 6 mins.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Ok, but that is still longer than the 5-6 mins you originally were saying it would be. So we're making progress.... ;)

Anyways, as NRJ is the only real example of a less than 6 min boat ride with more recent examples being at 6 mins or longer I don't think there is any reason to think it'll be less than 6 mins.

Hahah yes thats what happens in conversation when one is willing to engage genuinely. I don't just formulate an opinion with little thought or research and stubbornly stick to it at all costs. Throughout our little back n forth I've been pulling up YouTube videos of new Disney boat rides and my opinion is now that it could somewhere between 6-7 minutes but most likely no longer than that. If the headliner for the new land in Hong Kong is only 7 it would be hard for me to see the Coco ride being more than that. Coco seems like it'll be a D+ ticket while more of the resources and effort will go towards making Avatar an E+.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom