News Coco Boat Ride Coming to Disney California Adventure

truecoat

Just open the hole and rename it.

Awkward The Office GIF

mickEblu

Original Poster
L
They could just turn SSS into Mood Swings. Its not like they put a lot of time and money into an Inside Out attraction, its a reskin of a Bugs Land flat spinner.

That’s what I suggested somewhere - just expanding the Inside Out neigborhood to SSS. Granted the coaster layout makes Inside Out and awkward layout for a neighborhood as you have Emotional Whirlwind inside the helix with Bing Bong on one side and Future Mood Swings/ SSS on the other. Jellyfish gets a minor Nemo update/ name change and then you just have to figure out Zephyr. I would it rush into sacrificing either Zephyr or JJ but if there were plan for Coco to be a little more elaborate of a mini land or neighborhood I wouldn’t dismiss the idea either. I’m just not sure any of them are actually in the way

Professortango1

L

That’s what I suggested somewhere - just expanding the Inside Out neigborhood to SSS. Granted the coaster layout makes Inside Out and awkward layout for a neighborhood as you have Emotional Whirlwind inside the helix with Bing Bong on one side and Future Mood Swings/ SSS on the other. Jellyfish gets a minor Nemo update/ name change and then you just have to figure out Zephyr. I would it rush into sacrificing either Zephyr or JJ but if there were plan for Coco to be a little more elaborate of a mini land or neighborhood I wouldn’t dismiss the idea either. I’m just not sure any of them are actually in the way
I mean, does the neighborhood concept even resonate? Pixar Pier jus feels like a land with a bunch of Pixar stuff thrown together. Jessie right next to Incredicoaster. It's not like the neighborhoods look different or like their film franchise, it's just a seaside carnival using Pixar characters for themeing.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I mean, does the neighborhood concept even resonate? Pixar Pier jus feels like a land with a bunch of Pixar stuff thrown together. Jessie right next to Incredicoaster. It's not like the neighborhoods look different or like their film franchise, it's just a seaside carnival using Pixar characters for themeing.

No they doesn’t really resonate at all but having a coaster helix trisect a neighborhood makes it even less effective.

mickEblu

Original Poster
To me the whole neighborhood concept was sort of dumb in the first place.

Don’t really care about the neighborhoods as much as think the remaining non Pixar themed carnival rides will feel even more random if GSS and Plaza Gardens go away or are rethemed for Coco. So it would make sense to continue the Pixar theming and neigborhood motif at least with SSS/ Mood Swings right next to EW. Then maybe Nemo for Jellyfish and so on.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Don’t really care about the neighborhoods as much as think the remaining non Pixar themed carnival rides will feel even more random if GSS and Plaza Gardens go away or are rethemed for Coco. So it would make sense to continue the neigborhood motif at least with SSS/ Mood Swings right next to EW.
Well if they throw away the whole neighborhood concept then it doesn't matter that the "carnival rides" are next to Coco, if it does go into Plaza Gardens.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Honestly, the more I think about it, even though I advocated for Coco to go in Paradise Gardens, mainly because it would have more room and could be a more fleshed out mini-land, it really does make more sense that it goes behind Incredicoaster with the Pixar Promenade being the entrance.

Current park maps already put the boarder of the lands between Emotional Whirlwind and SSS, so they wouldn't have to change that. Also, as others have said, you wouldn't have to worry about the mismatch of themes if it were in PG nor would you need to retheme or remove the existing attractions. I don't think Disney will want to reduce the attraction count and even if they aren't super popular they are still people eaters.

They could just turn SSS into Mood Swings. Its not like they put a lot of time and money into an Inside Out attraction, its a reskin of a Bugs Land flat spinner.
I doubt this will happen. SSS has a 40" height limit where EW doesn't have any limit.

Phroobar

L

The Zephyr could be rethemed to Buzz Lightyear easily enough. I'm surprised they didn't do that. I don't think they remember the Zephyr and Jumping Jellyfish still exist. It is amazing that stuff has survived.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Honestly, the more I think about it, even though I advocated for Coco to go in Paradise Gardens, mainly because it would have more room and could be a more fleshed out mini-land, it really does make more sense that it goes behind Incredicoaster with the Pixar Promenade being the entrance.

Current park maps already put the boarder of the lands between Emotional Whirlwind and SSS, so they wouldn't have to change that. Also, as others have said, you wouldn't have to worry about the mismatch of themes if it were in PG nor would you need to retheme or remove the existing attractions. I don't think Disney will want to reduce the attraction count and even if they aren't super popular they are still people eaters.

I doubt this will happen. SSS has a 40" height limit where EW doesn't have any limit.

I agree. It's certainly the safer more cost effective choice for Disney. Putting a more elaborate Coco mini-land/ neighborhood in Plaza Gardens could be nice but Could/would come at a potential cost even if a small one. Putting it at Pixar Promenade entrance and we lose nothing.

If we are to believe the rumor a couple pages back where the person said Avatar will be really poorly placed and "Coco is a perfect fit" it kind of suggests to me that it might be taking up Plaza Gardens in some way. Of course they could just mean its perfect because its in Pixar Pier but in it's context I take "perfect" to mean that it feels organic in its placement due to the Coco presence that already exists. For me, either put it next to to Toy Story or give it its own land as part of DL Forward. Don't give me the Slightly Sweet Tea. My brain cant process what it is and my tastebuds don't enjoy it. Give me the Iced Tea with no sweetener or the Super Sweet Tea.

mickEblu

Original Poster
The Zephyr could be rethemed to Buzz Lightyear easily enough. I'm surprised they didn't do that. I don't think they remember the Zephyr and Jumping Jellyfish still exist. It is amazing that stuff has survived.

True and it could be as simple as a paint job, new marquee and name change. Wouldn't expect much more than that.

Phroobar

I agree. It's certainly the safer more cost effective choice for Disney. Putting a more elaborate Coco mini-land/ neighborhood in Plaza Gardens could be nice but Could/would come at a potential cost even if a small one. Putting it at Pixar Promenade entrance and we lose nothing.

If we are to believe the rumor a couple pages back where the person said Avatar will be really poorly placed and "Coco is a perfect fit" it kind of suggests to me that it might be taking up Plaza Gardens in some way. Of course they could just mean its perfect because its in Pixar Pier but in it's context I take "perfect" to mean that it feels organic in its placement due to the Coco presence that already exists. For me, either put it next to to Toy Story or give it its own land as part of DL Forward. Don't give me the Slightly Sweet Tea. My brain cant process what it is and my tastebuds don't enjoy it. Give me the Iced Tea with no sweetener or the Super Sweet Tea.
I think the Coco ride has always been phase 2 of Pixar Pier. They built the Pixar Promenade exactly for this purpose just like the Avengers HQ was always suppose to be the entrance to the e-ticket ride.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I think the Coco ride has always been phase 2 of Pixar Pier. They built the Pixar Promenade exactly for this purpose just like the Avengers HQ was always suppose to be the entrance to the e-ticket ride.

Yeah I think you re right. I remember Lasseter at D23 saying “and maybe some new rides” during the Pixar Pier announcement. I believe he was referring to whatever was going to go in the Pixar Promenade plot. He kind of looked at someone (Chapek?) as if to ask “can I say that?”

Phroobar

Yeah I think you re right. I remember Lasseter at D23 saying “and maybe some new rides” during the Pixar Pier announcement. I believe he was referring to whatever was going to go in the Pixar Promenade plot. He kind of looked at someone (Chapek?) as if to ask “can I say that?”
I also have a feeling the Ancient Sanctum will disappear for the robot arm ride entrance for the same reason. It is just place holder.

Professortango1

I also have a feeling the Ancient Sanctum will disappear for the robot arm ride entrance for the same reason. It is just place holder.
I wonder if they could build a smallish Sanctum experience/theatre in the Animation building with a entryway from AC. Or if Hyperion is going away, build a smaller thing there. I'd love to have a permanent magic show at DCA with seating and AC with plenty other illusions to explore in the building.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Going out for the evening, so I'm rapid responding to multiple posts.

It doesn't seem like they are interested in extending the Pixar Pier theme to the north cause then Mermaid (and GSS) would be the awkward step-child in the area.

I am hoping Coco would have one small drop. A fume ride without one would be so underwhelming for a dark ride.
The Splash Tiana Mountain show building is two story and not very big.....except in that regard you are lifted to the second story outside of the show building. They would have to make the Coco show building big enough to accommodate a lift hill. I suppose it's possible.

While it would be nice for Coco to be themed to fit contextually at its entrance or surrounding area, we can look at Little Mermaid or Monsters Inc. to see that those attractions aren't really in Mermaid or Monsters contextual areas.

Pixar is its contextual theme. The lights on the Pixar Promenade kinda already look like the lights on some of the Coco buildings in the movie.

1723844779973.png

1723844769311.png

The Sanctum is still in the concept art though.

1723844711451.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom