News Coco Boat Ride Coming to Disney California Adventure

Architectural Guinea Pig

In the Parks
No
I just checked YouTube- looks like the Tangled ride is about 6 min long.

Hope you re right. I just don’t don’t think it’s likely.
It definitely feels like it's going to be a similar version of Tokyo's Tangled ride, just like how the Avengers E-ticket will be similar in layout to Neverland Adventure. Except for Tokyo's outdoor portion becoming indoors, it would make sense for everything to remain relatively the same in layout, especially with the massive lantern scene becoming a concert set inside the city (and equally romantic, this is probably a Disneyfied Tunnel of Love). There is reason to believe there will be some form of backlash from fans due to its lack of multiple scenes, but it's still just a dark ride and not meant to be the standout attraction. This would cut a LOT of the R&D costs if it does happen to be glorified version of Tangled's layout.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Hahah yes thats what happens in conversation when one is willing to engage genuinely. I don't just formulate an opinion with little thought or research and stubbornly stick to it at all costs. Throughout our little back n forth I've been pulling up YouTube videos of new Disney boat rides and my opinion is now that it could somewhere between 6-7 minutes but most likely no longer than that. If the headliner for the new land in Hong Kong is only 7 it would be hard for me to see the Coco ride being more than that. Coco seems like it'll be a D+ ticket while more of the resources and effort will go towards making Avatar an E+.
I still think it could be longer than that, but won't be surprised or upset by a 6-7 min ride.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It definitely feels like it's going to be a similar version of Tokyo's Tangled ride, just like how the Avengers E-ticket will be similar in layout to Neverland Adventure. Except for Tokyo's outdoor portion becoming indoors, it would make sense for everything to remain relatively the same in layout, especially with the massive lantern scene becoming a concert set inside the city (and equally romantic, this is probably a Disneyfied Tunnel of Love). There is reason to believe there will be some form of backlash from fans due to its lack of multiple scenes, but it's still just a dark ride and not meant to be the standout attraction. This would cut a LOT of the R&D costs if it does happen to be glorified version of Tangled's layout.
I think you've mentioned this "tunnel of love" thing before. I'm not sure where you get the "romantic" vibe from this theme. Coco is about the love of family not romantic love, so I wouldn't think they would have the "tunnel of love" thing going on as you're suggesting.

mickEblu

Original Poster
It
definitely feels like it's going to be a similar version of Tokyo's Tangled ride, just like how the Avengers E-ticket will be similar in layout to Neverland Adventure. Except for Tokyo's outdoor portion becoming indoors, it would make sense for everything to remain relatively the same in layout, especially with the massive lantern scene becoming a concert set inside the city (and equally romantic, this is probably a Disneyfied Tunnel of Love). There is reason to believe there will be some form of backlash from fans due to its lack of multiple scenes, but it's still just a dark ride and not meant to be the standout attraction. This would cut a LOT of the R&D costs if it does happen to be glorified version of Tangled's layout.

I originally thought Tangled but I’m hoping more Frozen Hong Kong with a drop or two and better practical effects since they brought up Mansion/ POTC. The concept art shared didn’t really inspire me to think any bigger than D ticket but not sure how much stock we can put in that.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Nor will I. And I think it would be cool if they exceeded expectations and made Coco a true E ticket.
So here is hoping they find a happy medium where they maximize space and give a 7+ min experience with lots of scenes.

I also think that NRJ could be lengthened beyond 5 mins just by adding an additional scene or two which wouldn't take up much more space. Hoping that gets a major refurb in the future to do that.

Architectural Guinea Pig

In the Parks
No
I think you've mentioned this "tunnel of love" thing before. I'm not sure where you get the "romantic" vibe from this theme. Coco is about the love of family not romantic love, so I wouldn't think they would have the "tunnel of love" thing going on as you're suggesting.
I don't think I've ever mentioned a tunnel of love thing, but I was referring to the vibe of it being that of a classic boat ride in seaside amusement parks, especially with the Victorian bulb lighting, aka a tunnel of love. While the land of the dead isn't exactly a very romantic setting, the movie has very strong themes of love, from the song "Un poco loco" and "Remember Me" in different styles, as you said about love of family so I agree with what . I'm placing all bets that this will be haunted by couples in the near future.
E70DD725-7E17-49AF-B4D4-930DB2D8092B.jpeg

The art reeks of beauty and charm…

I'm very much rambling here, and I’m not arguing or anything, just saying that this would be Disney’s take on a turn of the century tunnel of love boat ride, ip fused and familyfied.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I don't think I've ever mentioned a tunnel of love thing, but I was referring to the vibe of it being that of a classic boat ride in seaside amusement parks, especially with the Victorian bulb lighting, aka a tunnel of love. While the land of the dead isn't exactly a very romantic setting, the movie has very strong themes of love, from the song "Un poco loco" and "Remember Me" in different styles, as you said about love of family so I agree with what . I'm placing all bets that this will be haunted by couples in the near future.
View attachment 810686

I'm very much rambling here, and I’m not arguing or anything, just saying that this would be Disney’s take on a turn of the century tunnel of love boat ride, ip fused and familyfied.

I Guess I never really took a good look at the concept art. That looks more grand and comes across as having bigger scale than I remember. I must have been very focused on the foreground in the excitement of the news and flurry of announcements.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
View attachment 810686

The "tunnel of love" has been mentioned in this thread in the past week, sorry if that wasn't you. Anyways, when the term "tunnel of love" is used it evokes a very specific ride that is romantic in nature from the turn of the century where couples would cuddle during the ride. The IP chosen doesn't evoke that same theme or feeling in my opinion, as mentioned its about love of family not romantic love. As in the movie its only Hector and Imelda reconciling at the end of the movie that even has a romantic setting. So again I don't see this idea of "couples" and romantic theming being part of it, at least not in a major way. So maybe a scene or two, like with Hector and Imelda, but not the entire focus of the ride.

Anyways we'll see how it comes together, but I just don't see the "tunnel of love" aspect as being part of it.

Also I do think this attraction will be a major focus in some way during OBB, especially that first year.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Mice Chat now speculating the same spot.

View attachment 810687
I don't know if its been mentioned what those two buildings along the perimeter are. But if they aren't critical they could remove them and reroute that back stage road along the edge and take over the entire corner area for Coco. It would be ~77k sqft, which is ~10k more than Pirates at DL. So they have plenty of room to build a huge long boat ride if they want to in that spot.

MistaDee

The "tunnel of love" has been mentioned in this thread in the past week, sorry if that wasn't you. Anyways, when the term "tunnel of love" is used it evokes a very specific ride that is romantic in nature from the turn of the century where couples would cuddle during the ride. The IP chosen doesn't evoke that same theme or feeling in my opinion, as mentioned its about love of family not romantic love. As in the movie its only Hector and Imelda reconciling at the end of the movie that even has a romantic setting. So again I don't see this idea of "couples" and romantic theming being part of it, at least not in a major way. So maybe a scene or two, like with Hector and Imelda, but not the entire focus of the ride.

Anyways we'll see how it comes together, but I just don't see the "tunnel of love" aspect as being part of it.

Also I do think this attraction will be a major focus in some way during OBB, especially that first year.

That might be one way to narrowly interpret a "tunnel of love" but I think previous posters are correctly identifying that the earliest boat based dark rides at turn of the century piers were often referred to as a "tunnel of love" ride even if they don't overtly feature romantic themes. Another term used would be an "old mill."

I don't think anyone is suggesting this Coco ride will focus on romantic love narratively or even thematically, but rather as a boat based dark ride in Pixar Pier, the ride system and concept will absolutely harken back to the history of this specific ride system in a seaside amusement pier setting, just without the connotations of smooching in the dark.

I actually think making a Tunnel of (Platonic) Love (of our Ancestors & Family) is a neat way to play with the theme park heritage. I find the very early history of dark rides is super fascinating if anyone is curious.

As for scale, the area shown from the "other site" seems pretty small, I'm certainly hoping (but not expecting) this experience is closer in scale and length to Tokyo's Frozen (6-7 minutes?) than Tangled (5m?). For the show building I do sincerely hope they can knock down the backstage buildings and either relocate or incorporate them into the new structure with the access road routed around the back.

This is probably completely unfeasible, but I would love if they were able to include an outdoor portion like Tangled does, that's a great way to add length to the attraction without adding showbuilding size, kinetic energy to the land and make the whole thing more cohesive. I don't think entering the actual lagoon would be feasible but I wonder if they could build a flume that takes a lap around Mickey's Fun Wheel and sits in its own water but is disguised to blend in witht he rest of the lagoon.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That might be one way to narrowly interpret a "tunnel of love" but I think previous posters are correctly identifying that the earliest boat based dark rides at turn of the century piers were often referred to as a "tunnel of love" ride even if they don't overtly feature romantic themes. Another term used would be an "old mill."

I don't think anyone is suggesting this Coco ride will focus on romantic love narratively or even thematically, but rather as a boat based dark ride in Pixar Pier, the ride system and concept will absolutely harken back to the history of this specific ride system in a seaside amusement pier setting, just without the connotations of smooching in the dark.

I actually think making a Tunnel of (Platonic) Love (of our Ancestors & Family) is a neat way to play with the theme park heritage. I find the very early history of dark rides is super fascinating if anyone is curious.

As for scale, the area shown from the "other site" seems pretty small, I'm certainly hoping (but not expecting) this experience is closer in scale and length to Tokyo's Frozen (6-7 minutes?) than Tangled (5m?). For the show building I do sincerely hope they can knock down the backstage buildings and either relocate or incorporate them into the new structure with the access road routed around the back.

This is probably completely unfeasible, but I would love if they were able to include an outdoor portion like Tangled does, that's a great way to add length to the attraction without adding showbuilding size, kinetic energy to the land and make the whole thing more cohesive. I don't think entering the actual lagoon would be feasible but I wonder if they could build a flume that takes a lap around Mickey's Fun Wheel and sits in its own water but is disguised to blend in witht he rest of the lagoon.
I'm aware of the history of the ride and the term. The whole reason it was called a tunnel of love was because it was used by couples to cuddle in the dark, which was then leaned into with theming as time went on. And I'm saying that I don't see Disney leaning into that for this attraction due to the IP being used. Now obviously I can be wrong but I just don't get the "tunnel of love" vibes when I look at the concept art. We'll have to see as we get new pieces of concept, but I think an old school "theater" theming like in the original concept art for the Pixar Promenade would more the way they go.

Tangled is ~6mins, just FYI. And while an outdoor portion would be nice I'm not sure if there is enough room but I guess we'll see what they do.

MistaDee

I'm sure these estimates are full of small errors but as a general sense for the potential space here's a guess

Potential Coco acreage:
Plot from "other site" 0.88 acres
1724181606985.png

Full backstage takeover 2.07 acres
(tried to leave room for a good sized perimeter road)
1724181872895.png

Rough acreage estimates for recent boat ride comps:

Tokyo Frozen 1.96 acres
1724180911261.png

Tangled 1.21 acres
1724181226752.png

Tangled excluding outdoor 0.92 acres
1724181382104.png

I guess my takeaway is they have the space to do something as ambitious as Tokyo's Frozen. I'm skeptical we'll get all that but am hoping we get something a little grander than the Tangled ride. I'd also love to see a great gift shop which I feel like would move a fair amount of merch

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm sure these estimates are full of small errors but as a general sense for the potential space here's a guess

Potential Coco acreage:
Plot from "other site" 0.88 acres
View attachment 810812

Full backstage takeover 2.07 acres
(tried to leave room for a good sized perimeter road)
View attachment 810818

Rough acreage estimates for recent boat ride comps:

Tokyo Frozen 1.96 acres
View attachment 810805

Tangled 1.21 acres
View attachment 810809

Tangled excluding outdoor 0.92 acres
View attachment 810810

I guess my takeaway is they have the space to do something as ambitious as Tokyo's Frozen. I'm skeptical we'll get all that but am hoping we get something a little grander than the Tangled ride. I'd also love to see a great gift shop which I feel like would move a fair amount of merch
The thing to remember is that those measurements are only area, not usable square footage. As they can also go underground and vertical, creating multiple stories, which would increase the amount of usable square footage. So just because the measured area might seem smaller, the usable area can be just as big if not bigger than those other attractions mentioned. :)

MistaDee

I'm aware of the history of the ride and the term. The whole reason it was called a tunnel of love was because it was used by couples to cuddle in the dark, which was then leaned into with theming as time went on. And I'm saying that I don't see Disney leaning into that for this attraction due to the IP being used. Now obviously I can be wrong but I just don't get the "tunnel of love" vibes when I look at the concept art. We'll have to see as we get new pieces of concept, but I think an old school "theater" theming like in the original concept art for the Pixar Promenade would more the way they go.

Tangled is ~6mins, just FYI. And while an outdoor portion would be nice I'm not sure if there is enough room but I guess we'll see what they do.

I'm a little confused as to how you seem to be interpreting what "tunnel of love vibes" means for Disney's implementation.

By nature of being a dark ride in a boat on a pier it will be a part of the legacy of Tunnel of Love, Old Mill, river cave attractions - full stop. That doesn't mean it needs a giant heart facade to walk through or overtly romantic show scenes, it's just what it is, debating past that is sorta semantics.

Personally I love the concept for voyage into the world of Coco through a modern tunnel of love on Pixar Pier. I really hope they go nuts with the blacklight accents, projection-mapped "2.5D" backgrounds from Runaway Railway mixed with more practical sets and AAs.

Is tangled 6 minutes? I think it's more like 5 minutes of actual ride content not counting being stuck behind other boats at the beginning or end. Tokyo Disney's official website seems to agree:
1724186807681.png

In any case, I'm curious what songs/music Disney selects for the ride and how long each one will have. Top of mind:

1. Remember Me - bolero-ranchero ballad at first, then a lullaby - will we get both?
2. Un Poco Loco - Son Jarocho folk music, almost sounds like Flamenco, would be a good song for a large gathering/party scene
3. La Llorona - a real Mexican folk song from Day of the Dead
4. Proud Corazon - song for finale scene/exit music?

If each of those had a minute of song/scene, plus one minute of transitions that's already 5 minutes. Hoping we can get more!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm a little confused as to how you seem to be interpreting what "tunnel of love vibes" means for Disney's implementation.

By nature of being a dark ride in a boat on a pier it will be a part of the legacy of Tunnel of Love, Old Mill, river cave attractions - full stop. That doesn't mean it needs a giant heart facade to walk through or overtly romantic show scenes, it's just what it is, debating past that is sorta semantics.

Personally I love the concept for voyage into the world of Coco through a modern tunnel of love on Pixar Pier. I really hope they go nuts with the blacklight accents, projection-mapped "2.5D" backgrounds from Runaway Railway mixed with more practical sets and AAs.

Is tangled 6 minutes? I think it's more like 5 minutes of actual ride content not counting being stuck behind other boats at the beginning or end. Tokyo Disney's official website seems to agree:
View attachment 810834

In any case, I'm curious what songs/music Disney selects for the ride and how long each one will have. Top of mind:

1. Remember Me - bolero-ranchero ballad at first, then a lullaby - will we get both?
2. Un Poco Loco - Son Jarocho folk music, almost sounds like Flamenco, would be a good song for a large gathering/party scene
3. La Llorona - a real Mexican folk song from Day of the Dead
4. Proud Corazon - song for finale scene/exit music?

If each of those had a minute of song/scene, plus one minute of transitions that's already 5 minutes. Hoping we can get more!
Sorry just to me when someone says "Tunnel of Love" I see this -

s-l1600.jpg

tunnel_of_love.jpg

CmOpNpbWQAANHmR.jpg

It evokes a certain type of attraction meant to be "romantic", as a "tunnel of love" was a specific type of old mill meant for couples to get closer in a two seater boat (whether side-by-side or single file). If someones says old mill ride, boat ride, heck even shoot the chutes/flume ride, etc, I think of something more of what you're and the other poster is talking about.

As for the rest I agree floating through the Land of the Dead I think will be great.

And I'm basing the ~6mins of Tangled based on YT videos I've seen where I time it from the time the boat leaves load/unload to the time it returns.

MistaDee

Sorry just to me when someone says "Tunnel of Love" I see this -

s-l1600.jpg

View attachment 810838

CmOpNpbWQAANHmR.jpg

It evokes a certain type of attraction meant to be "romantic", as a "tunnel of love" was a specific type of old mill meant for couples to get closer in a two seater boat (whether side-by-side or single file). If someones says old mill ride, boat ride, heck even shoot the chutes/flume ride, etc, I think of something more of what you're and the other poster is talking about.

As for the rest I agree floating through the Land of the Dead I think will be great.

And I'm basing the ~6mins of Tangled based on YT videos I've seen where I time it from the time the boat leaves load/unload to the time it returns.

I don't think your understanding of the early history is quite accurate here. Boat rides in the dark came first, couples then took advantage of them for some unchaperoned time where they became colloquially known as Tunnel of Love, and finally parks responded by adding the hearts and pink/red color scheme or overtly branding the ride as a "Tunnel of Love." In the early 1900s a tunnel of love ride and an old mill ride were one and the same.

In popular media the tunnel of love trope has been done to death so a lot of people have misconceptions about the period, but in a lot of places parks would have "no kissing" signs or even employees posted with plastic bats to interrupt any untoward canoodling so it's not always the case these boat rides were "meant" for romance

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom