CM Attacked at ToT

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It’s something that OSHA will investigate if requested. All I’m saying is a more proactive approach would take some of the pressure off the employee. I’m not talking about OSHA’s current rules and policies I’m saying they should change to better protect employees.

Here's OSHA's pamphlet on work place violence. They'd be hard-pressed to consider the majority of Disney employees falling under their guidelines.

I've worked for a regulatory agency. We were very careful to not exceed our authority in rule making.

factsheet-workplace-violence.pdf

ETA:. Oops, the link didn't copy.

s8film40

Here's OSHA's pamphlet on work place violence. They'd be hard-pressed to consider the majority of Disney employees falling under their guidelines.

I've worked for a regulatory agency. We were very careful to not exceed our authority in rule making.

factsheet-workplace-violence.pdf
I think you totally missed my point. OSHA is responsible for setting the standards and enforcement. There’s been a growing trend at Disney to sweep this stuff under the rug and pressure employees not to pursue charges. It’s a real issue because it deprives employees of the legal remedies available to them and empowers guests to be more inclined to do these type of things creating a less safe work environment. That is exactly where OSHA is supposed to step in. I’m saying changes need to be made, and again I don’t really expect it though.

Under the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970, employers are responsible for providing safe and healthful workplaces for their employees. OSHA's role is to ensure these conditions for America's working men and women by setting and enforcing standards, and providing training, education and assistance.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I think you totally missed my point. OSHA is responsible for setting the standards and enforcement. There’s been a growing trend at Disney to sweep this stuff under the rug and pressure employees not to pursue charges. It’s a real issue because it deprives employees of the legal remedies available to them and empowers guests to be more inclined to do these type of things creating a less safe work environment. That is exactly where OSHA is supposed to step in. I’m saying changes need to be made, and again I don’t really expect it though.

I perfectly understand OSHA's role.

The issue is would this fall under OSHA's General Duty Clause? Is Disney not taking reasonable steps to prevent or abate a recognized violence hazard in the workplace? Only those actions can be cited.

s8film40

I perfectly understand OSHA's role.

The issue is would this fall under OSHA's General Duty Clause? Is Disney not taking reasonable steps to prevent or abate a recognized violence hazard in the workplace? Only those actions can be cited.
Yeah the issue I think needs to be adddessed is Disney actively persuading employees not to press charges. They are supposed to advise employees of their rights and not retaliate against them if they choose to press charges. That is not at all what happens at Disney and contributes to a less safe work environment through Disney’s very intentional actions. It truly needs to be adresssed. Like I said I know this is something where OSHA takes a fairly soft approach and I don’t expect it to change. It would be nice if they would find a way to better take care of this issue.

Goofyernmost

How can the merge podium “affect the ride”?
Stop asking silly questions. There probably is a button on the podium that shuts down WDW in it's entirety, resorts and all. Hotels Doors lock, lagoons drain automatically, food goes bad, refrigerators heat instead of cool, costume characters melt into large puddles of melted plastic and fuzzy cloth. Air Conditioners no longer condition and Gondola's burst into flame. You have to have a pretty heavy security clearance to operate that button.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Hypothetical here.

Say, after interviewing the victim, eye witnesses and all video evidence, the SA decides to press criminal charges against the alleged perpetrator. If the prosecutor felt that the victim's employer was hindering the victim's assistance with the case or appearance in court, that employer would be getting a phone call from said prosecutor.
Can a prosecutor demand paid time off? If taking time off without pay is enough of a burden, then that is going to discourage pressing charges. The way Disney handles scheduling, with the attitude of “You’re available when we say you are available,” and missed shifts is also a disincentive. There are plenty of stories of people who missed shifts for legitimate reasons, notified multiple levels of the chain of command, were assured no negative remarks would be given and then later, sometimes years later, find out the issue was improperly recorded.

s8film40

Stop asking silly questions. There probably is a button on the podium that shuts down WDW in it's entirety, resorts and all. Hotels Doors lock, lagoons drain automatically, food goes bad, refrigerators heat instead of cool costume characters melt into large puddles of melted plastic and fuzzy cloth. Air Conditioners no longer condition and Gondola's burst into flame. You have to have a pretty heavy security clearance to operate that button.
I think the point to consider isn’t what the buttons on that podium do, but rather the guest didn’t know and pressed them anyway. It’s the behavior not the literal actions and what the buttons do. A guest that would do this would probably also do it on the load platform if a different issue arose, and I’m guessing there’s probably at the least an e-stop there somewhere.

WallyWorld

Why is there any assumption we know nearly any what is going on here. After the DL brawl, same thing. A little time passes and there a big consequences for those involved. Seems Disney removed themselves from the situation but there were some very serious consequences. What Happened at ToT was horrible....but time will tell how it plays out....after it's out of the press. I am sure there are confidentiality agreements...no one here knows all the details.

Goofyernmost

Sugar causes uninhibited aggression?
I've had High Blood Pressure almost all my adult life. Now I understand why I have killed so my bugs during that time. I must be stopped!
High blood pressure causes mood swings. Sugar can cause high blood pressure. If we follow the process of @powerfulpuffin 's system for accountability, then we should we blame sugar for a possible cause of this CM being punched. Basically, anything that was not mentioned in the sheriff's report is to blame.
I'm not sure where you are getting that information. High Blood Pressure doesn't cause mood swings. Never heard that High blood sugar causes High Blood pressure either. Two separate problems.

Last edited:

bclane

With all the 💩 CMs deal with on a daily basis, i’m actually shocked we don’t ever hear about them assaulting guests. As amazing as they are, they are still only human beings so it’s bound to happen at some point. Everyone has a breaking point. I mean if what people are saying is true (which I believe) and cast members are getting spit upon and punched, at some point some CM is gonna hit back. Anyway, hats off to all the CMs who put up with the masses everyday so that the rest of us can enjoy some time away from the daily grind. We appreciate you!

Yert3

The customer is always right" is a horribly toxic and outdated ideology and all businesses need to come to the realization that not all customers are worth retaining.
Agreed. I worked at a Kroger a few years ago and we had this rude couple that came in every Sunday. They used racial slurs, fake coupons(which management let them use), and called one of our cashiers a one time. The management refused to ban them because they said they didn’t want to deal with the PR.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Can a prosecutor demand paid time off? If taking time off without pay is enough of a burden, then that is going to discourage pressing charges. The way Disney handles scheduling, with the attitude of “You’re available when we say you are available,” and missed shifts is also a disincentive. There are plenty of stories of people who missed shifts for legitimate reasons, notified multiple levels of the chain of command, were assured no negative remarks would be given and then later, sometimes years later, find out the issue was improperly recorded.

If a CM is appearing as a result of a subpoena, Disney would have some serious problems making negative notes on that CM's file. That would include a jury summons, which is in essence a subpoena. In Florida, you're paid $15 a day for jury duty, as long as your employer doesn't pay for the time.

lazyboy97o

If a CM is appearing as a result of a subpoena, Disney would have some serious problems making negative notes on that CM's file. That would include a jury summons, which is in essence a subpoena. In Florida, you're paid $15 a day for jury duty, as long as your employer doesn't pay for the time.
I’m not talking about an intentional negative note. Im talking about a very common clerical error that is not reported to the employee and is still difficult to correct when all parties agree an error was made.

rct247

The fastpass bit, verbal abuse and sense of entitlement happen at almost every popular attraction at Disney World every single day. They don't usually escalate to this degree, but that type of work environment is why the cast members don't always seem as magical anymore.

Glad this hit mainstream media. It raises awareness and it also lets those who think its ok to treat other people this way does come with consequences.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I’m not talking about an intentional negative note. Im talking about a very common clerical error that is not reported to the employee and is still difficult to correct when all parties agree an error was made.

If that's the case and happens on a regular basis and can affect an employee's status in terms of retention, promotion or pay raises, then Disney does have a serious problem that the EEOC should investigate. Such clerical errors cannot and should not be tolerated. And if they are routinely occurring, then better training, policy and disciplinary action is warranted. We wouldn't have tolerated that where I worked. People would have gotten fired.

s8film40

Yep Disney has a very strict system and they don’t seem to have a good way to implement common sense when mistakes are made.

I know someone who was fired for being pregnant because of errors like that.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I wonder if we'll start seeing FP CM's behind these...

jaklgreen

Perhaps you misinterpreted the intent of my post. Either way, We are all lucky that its not your place to decide the fate of others.

I understand what you are saying, but do not agree. It is the sentiment that "oh, we shouldn't judge others" is what gives people license to act this way. If society didn't glamorize and, in a way, allow this type of behavior, but condemned it more harshly, then people would be less likely to commit these kinds of acts. There is zero justification for this person's actions.

jaklgreen

High Blood Pressure doesn't cause mood swings.

I don't think that is true at all. My grandmother has severe high blood pressure. She is on 3 different blood pressure medicines and has been for over 2 decades. One of the signs that I recognize with her blood pressure spikes is her behavior. High blood pressure can affect your mental abilities, no doubt about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom