News Club 33 coming to Walt Disney World this Fall

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Club 33 is something very, very different. And it's not cheap to operate.

Since you seem to have some knowledge here. Let me ask the one question I have.

Is there a spending floor? Country Clubs have spending floors. You have to spend "x" every month. If you don't, you get billed that amount anyway. Does Club 33 operate the same way?

If it does, that's where they make the big bucks.

Laketravis

I am not a Club 33 member, but I have dined there a couple times in the last 15 years and I have had a cocktail at the 1901 Lounge (Club 33 satellite location in California Adventure) as a guest of a member. I think you are misunderstanding the service level and operational needs of the Club 33 concept. It is not just a cheesy corporate lounge at Epcot for Exxon employees to get free Cokes and pretzels.

As one example, Club 33 requires a full staff of concierges. And not just WDW hotel "concierges" which are just college kids in ill-fitting polyester suits sitting at a desk in the Poly lounge to tell you that the parade is at 3 o'clock and Ohana is fully booked, all things anyone with an iPhone could do for themselves in 30 seconds. Club 33 concierges are actual, real-world concierges that arrange your guests entire Disneyland stay, from VIP tour guides to airport Town Car pickup to a club box at an Angels game and third row seats to the sold out Michael Buble concert at the Hollywood Bowl next weekend.

Then you've got hostesses at the door that pass out seasonally chilled or heated scented moist towels as you enter (to wipe off the theme park germs), a battalion of waiters and waitresses, bartenders and barbacks, the maitre'd, bussers, an entire kitchen staff, management and member services staff, live jazz bands and singers in the lounge, a live pianist in the lobby, etc., etc. It doesn't just take a village, it takes an army of staff to run Club 33 and 1901 Lounge for a day.

Quite frankly, with a $50,000 initiation fee and $12,000 annual dues after that and a multi-year waiting list to get in, I'm surprised that Disneyland makes much money on the whole thing after seeing the incredible level of staffing and service they provide members and their guests 365 days per year.

WDW management has a huge task to live up to the Club 33 service level. It can't just be a nicely decorated lounge with a bored bartender and a random college kid CM checking ID's at the door. WDW already has that middling lounge service with their "Deluxe Hotel Concierge Lounges" and the Epcot sponsorship lounges for every General Motors or Exxon middle manager and his sweaty kids. Club 33 is something very, very different. And it's not cheap to operate.

I assume TDO and WDW management understand what they are getting themselves into with this. :confused:

Impressive. I'm not misunderstanding the concept at all. If they follow the same model and maintain the same service level at WDW let's multiply the couple of CM's times ten and then double that payroll. Surely not everyone stops in without incurring additional costs beyond their initiation and base membership fee. My bet is the numbers still work without a huge volume of members. And it will have to because many are paying that much simply for the exclusivity factor.

BubbaQuest

I don't see why this really bugs so many people. DL had it for decades and it doesn't really affect people's enjoyment of the park. Just because someone decides to pay for higher level features doesn't mean it detracts from my enjoyment. If that was the case, then we should be ****ed about Moderate and Deluxe resorts no? Sounds a bit like sour grapes to me. :confused:

Maybe because Club 33 was originally purpose built for something other than being a perk for the collectibles market? Club 33 is no longer a place for investors to meet, discuss, or view their investments. Let's call it what it is now, DVC Theme Park Tickets with dinner reservations and a $25000 buy-in. What better way to justify the price than to stamp a Club 33 logo on it and artificially limit supply and demand.

I understand companies are free to do what they want with their products, but the whole thing is starting to verge on a pyramid scheme to me. Want access to a gondola instead of a horrible bus on your next WDW vacation, for only $15000 we can get you on a list so you might be able to pay for that. Want to enjoy the parks without having to deal with that whole FP+ thing, for only $25000 we can get you on a list to pay for that. You're not paying for products, you're paying for access to pay for products.

Again, companies are free to do this. Private Golf Clubs for example. But a cycle of reducing base level amenities and artificially inflating base level prices to justify DVC buy-in costs, and encouraging buy-in so you can sell your access for profit, that is something very different.

21stamps

I am not a Club 33 member, but I have dined there a couple times in the last 15 years and I have had a cocktail at the 1901 Lounge (Club 33 satellite location in California Adventure) as a guest of a member. I think you are misunderstanding the service level and operational needs of the Club 33 concept. It is not just a cheesy corporate lounge at Epcot for Exxon employees to get free Cokes and pretzels.

As one example, Club 33 requires a full staff of concierges. And not just WDW hotel "concierges" which are just college kids in ill-fitting polyester suits sitting at a desk in the Poly lounge to tell you that the parade is at 3 o'clock and Ohana is fully booked, all things anyone with an iPhone could do for themselves in 30 seconds. Club 33 concierges are actual, real-world concierges that arrange your guests entire Disneyland stay, from VIP tour guides to airport Town Car pickup to a club box at an Angels game and third row seats to the sold out Michael Buble concert at the Hollywood Bowl next weekend.

Then you've got hostesses at the door that pass out seasonally chilled or heated scented moist towels as you enter (to wipe off the theme park germs), a battalion of waiters and waitresses, bartenders and barbacks, the maitre'd, bussers, an entire kitchen staff, management and member services staff, live jazz bands and singers in the lounge, a live pianist in the lobby, etc., etc. It doesn't just take a village, it takes an army of staff to run Club 33 and 1901 Lounge for a day.

Quite frankly, with a $50,000 initiation fee and $12,000 annual dues after that and a multi-year waiting list to get in, I'm surprised that Disneyland makes much money on the whole thing after seeing the incredible level of staffing and service they provide members and their guests 365 days per year.

WDW management has a huge task to live up to the Club 33 service level. It can't just be a nicely decorated lounge with a bored bartender and a random college kid CM checking ID's at the door. WDW already has that middling lounge service with their "Deluxe Hotel Concierge Lounges" and the Epcot sponsorship lounges for every General Motors or Exxon middle manager and his sweaty kids. Club 33 is something very, very different. And it's not cheap to operate.

I assume TDO and WDW management understand what they are getting themselves into with this. :confused:
It's 50/12 not 25/10? Either way, I would think Disney World would have to be priced higher, but if it's 50/12, how much higher do you think they would go?

21stamps

Maybe because Club 33 was originally purpose built for something other than being a perk for the collectibles market? Club 33 is no longer a place for investors to meet, discuss, or view their investments. Let's call it what it is now, DVC Theme Park Tickets with dinner reservations and a $25000 buy-in. What better way to justify the price than to stamp a Club 33 logo on it and artificially limit supply and demand.

I understand companies are free to do what they want with their products, but the whole thing is starting to verge on a pyramid scheme to me. Want access to a gondola instead of a horrible bus on your next WDW vacation, for only $15000 we can get you on a list so you might be able to pay for that. Want to enjoy the parks without having to deal with that whole FP+ thing, for only $25000 we can get you on a list to pay for that. You're not paying for products, you're paying for access to pay for products.

Again, companies are free to do this. Private Golf Clubs for example. But a cycle of reducing base level amenities and artificially inflating base level prices to justify DVC buy-in costs, and encouraging buy-in so you can sell your access for profit, that is something very different.

I don't know how it's a pyramid scheme.

BubbaQuest

I don't know how it's a pyramid scheme.

From wikipedia, regarding multi-level marketing (MLM):
According to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission legitimate MLM, unlike pyramid schemes:
"have a real product to sell. More importantly, MLM's [sic] actually sell their product to members of the general public, without requiring these consumers to pay anything extra or to join the MLM system. MLM's may pay commissions to a long string of distributors, but these commission are paid for real retail sales, not for new recruits.

Not saying DVC or Club 33 is a pyramid scheme. Just saying there is a very fine line between selling an actual product and selling access to a product.

21stamps

From wikipedia, regarding multi-level marketing (MLM):

Not saying DVC or Club 33 is a pyramid scheme. Just saying there is a very fine line between selling an actual product and selling access to a product.
I'm so confused. I know what a pyramid scheme is. I don't see Disney as comparable in any way, shape, or form.

Disney is selling products every day.. and with the 2 that you listed- one's a timeshare..the other is a private club, with included perks, not just access to purchasing a product.

It's not an accurate or fair comparison to a pyramid company at all.

Otterhead

Club 33 is something very, very different. And it's not cheap to operate.
I remember during my visit there how amazing the service was. They have a buffet, but it's fully staffed; there was a CM there just to pour little demitasse cups of soup, and another standing there to crack the crab legs for you. It's kind of surreal going from New Orleans Square to a four-star restaurant.

EPCOTCenterLover

Marni or Spirit or Magic Feather or anyone else on the inside, Will these new Club 33s replace the plans for Walt's at Disney Springs? I hope not. Is that project still happening?

Otterhead

EDIT: This was a 3 paragraph explanation of what a pyramid scheme is, what an MLM is, and why Club 33 appears to be neither, but I'm not game for the follow up, so I'll let others weigh in.
It's neither. It's simply a very expensive, very exclusive private club. The original has a 10+ year waiting list. I expect any similar clubs at WDW to be as exclusive and expensive and as in-demand, if they do it right.

BubbaQuest

EDIT: This was a 3 paragraph explanation of what a pyramid scheme is, what an MLM is, and why Club 33 appears to be neither, but I'm not game for the follow up, so I'll let others weigh in.

Maybe I misused the term pyramid scheme, but I thought it was also used to explain a situation where supply is arbitrarily limited so supply never exceeds demand, keeping prices and demand artificially high. A "membership" allows you to skip this arbitrary barrier.

I'm just concerned that FP+ is becoming this artificial scheme.

WDW1974

But no one knows that yet. The original article even said this isn't confirmed yet. So everyone is jumping on the judgement bandwagon without any design confirmation. And Walt may have created a similar institution into WDW if he had lived long enough to see it's construction till the end.

First of all, it has been confirmed internally. And let's leave Old Dead Guy Walt out of this.

Right now, it appears the Club 33 lounges/bars will be located at Skipper Canteen at MK, AA at EPCOT, Brown Derby at the park with no name or identity and at Tiffins/new build addition at DAK.

WDW1974

This is inappropriate and ridiculous on every level. I don't know why you're so bitter about WDW visitors but maybe you need a break from WDWMagic.

Please, let's put away the indignation and upset. Society has become a mess and WDW is a microcosm of it. Perhaps using 'white trash' was inflammatory when the reality is that the trash is multi-hued (but mostly white people from the USA and UK who can afford it).

You may not like my opinions on visitors, but everytime I'm there I see proof. No, it isn't acceptable to have filthy shoes on the furniture ... new at that ... in the WL lobby, but ... No, it isn't acceptable to picnic in the lobby of the Poly, while your kids run around like wild animals but ... It isn't acceptable to make racist comments while in line for Peter Pan.

I don't like it. I don't accept it. And I will rant about it here as I see fit.

The problem isn't me or what I am saying. The problem is if anything I am downplaying things. I guess let me put it this way, the majority (that only means 51% or more) of WDW Guests belong in ... what analogy to use? ... an Easter basket of deplorables. Not anything different than in society at large. But WDW used to be an escape from it and now it is like Exhibit No. 1 on how this behavior is allowed and accepted.

21stamps

Maybe I misused the term pyramid scheme, but I thought it was also used to explain a situation where supply is arbitrarily limited so supply never exceeds demand, keeping prices and demand artificially high. A "membership" allows you to skip this arbitrary barrier.

I'm just concerned that FP+ is becoming this artificial scheme.

Have you ever bought a Kirby vacuum? lol

WDW1974

So why are they rubes? Some people,just have more money then they k ow what to do with and if they want to spend it let them. But those people are the far and few between. The people that mortgage everything to join are the idiots. Not those that won't even notice the money gone when the sign up.

If my business was in Orlando I would consider this to entertain customers just like I consd9er my Bulls, Cubs, Hawks and Bears tickets I spend a fortune on every year or my golf memberships.

People who spend money simply to spend and play "I'm a bigger and better Disney fan than you" would fall into this category. Just watch and see what happens and who winds up in these bars. Because Orlando isn't Anaheim or Tokyo and the market for this is pretty much the same as the market for those $1.2 million homes on old orange groves NW of Disney. Meaning it basically doesn't exist. No one is going to want to have a business meeting at a bar that is about the size of the 1901 Lounge at Carthay Circle (I have been. It is very small.) with kids screaming and people in shorts and tees talking about how they know some ridiculous -- and likely incorrect -- Disney factoid.

Again, this isn't in the LA or Tokyo markets. Big business does not happen in the swamps.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom