News Club 33 coming to Walt Disney World this Fall

Biff215

But re-purposing the Frozen ride took over 2 years.
Apples and oranges comparing restaurants to attractions. Personally I felt Skipper Canteen took entirely too long to convert, but it was still far less than Frozen. Club 33 East might simply include VIP lounges, and those already exist, all that's needed is some new decorating in most cases. Even if one or more include a dining option, Disney will likely use existing facilities that already have the basics needed, or perhaps they're being built as we speak (Avatar). Either way, I agree that this is another cash grab, but the turnaround shouldn't be all that impressive given what's involved IMO.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So why are they rubes? Some people,just have more money then they k ow what to do with and if they want to spend it let them. But those people are the far and few between. The people that mortgage everything to join are the idiots. Not those that won't even notice the money gone when the sign up.

If my business was in Orlando I would consider this to entertain customers just like I consd9er my Bulls, Cubs, Hawks and Bears tickets I spend a fortune on every year or my golf memberships.

Exactly as a business venue it makes sense as an individual not so much. Bring your customer to the club for talks and use the admissions which come with club membership to entertain customers SO and kids which helps seal the deal.

Biff215

The Poly bungalows should never have been built in the first place. One of the dumbest things they have ever done.
The point levels are what will ultimately doom the Poly DVC as a whole, given a ton of points being sold are allocated to the Bungalows even though a majority of buyers have no intentions (or ability) to ever stay in them. Once the resort sells out, I predict it will be close to impossible to book a studio, forcing DVC to reallocate points which will make the studios outrageous. Same thing might happen next at Wilderness. This is one reason we chose to use our points to stay at Poly this summer.

Club 33 in WDW could suffer a similar fate if they overprice it and then try to backpedal. You can't charge the first members $40,000 then reduce it later (at least you shouldn't). Closing it would be the only other option which would also be a disaster. It will be interesting where they price this as a certain level of membership is the only thing that will keep it afloat long term. I'm not sure it will work the same way it does in DL, but only time will tell.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
But no one knows that yet. The original article even said this isn't confirmed yet. So everyone is jumping on the judgement bandwagon without any design confirmation. And Walt may have created a similar institution into WDW if he had lived long enough to see it's construction till the end.

Its confirmed alright there is now a website and an email adress for sales information

doctornick

Higher level of discourse? This is a Disney fan forum, not the MENSA boards.

The irony is that you have people complaining about the behaviors of others in a location as trivial as a theme park or hotel lobby, while not being willing to withhold from arguably "classless" speech themselves. It tends to undermine the message.

Personally, I agree with promoting class and good behavior in society, but I also think that such behaviors start from within and setting the example one desires. If you aren't willing to engage in higher level discourse on a "lowly" message board, then how could one expect others to have classy behavior in "just" a theme park?

YMMV.

Laketravis

I really don't think WDW needs very many members to justify the one time cost of refurbishing four areas into lounges and then the continued operational cost of a CM or two and incidentals each day. Any additional members are almost pure profit because the incremental cost of adding more members once costs are covered is nil. Even the perks aren't cost items in the strictest sense, they just have a microscopic effect on capacity.

Bandini

Au contraire! I've seen many examples of so called wealthy, upper class parents who did not bother to discipline their children or try to teach them common manners. We had a resort for 19 years and ran into this repeatedly. So, it's not one of the defining points, IMO
I don't think wealth is a measure of trashy behavior. Let's face it, trashy behavior can be found in every race and at every socioeconomic level.
I also think that there are always people who feel compelled to flaunt their wealth whether it's real or imagined.

Biff215

I really don't think WDW needs very many members to justify the one time cost of refurbishing four areas into lounges and then the continued operational cost of a CM or two and incidentals each day. Any additional members are almost pure profit because the incremental cost of adding more members once costs are covered is nil. Even the perks aren't cost items in the strictest sense, they just have a microscopic effect on capacity.
That's if they're all just lounges, which is certainly not what Club 33 is in DL. I'm sure there's a decent number of CM's involved there. And let's be honest, WDW won't be content on this just covering its costs, they'll want to milk it for all it's worth. They don't need a ton of members, but I'm sure there's a magic number they envision where they'll perhaps cap it to generate exclusivity. Again it's all about the initial price they set, which is made clear by some saying they could justify the cost based on the price and perks offered by the original. That's why it's likely WDW goes well beyond this in hopes of maximizing profit.

Laketravis

They do cap membership at DL - there's currently (and almost always has been) a waiting list. No doubt it's a profitable venture.

But Club 33 opened in DL in 1967. Why does anyone think Disney waited almost half a century to open the equivalent at WDW?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Au contraire! I've seen many examples of so called wealthy, upper class parents who did not bother to discipline their children or try to teach them common manners. We had a resort for 19 years and ran into this repeatedly. So, it's not one of the defining points, IMO

I said ONE of the defining factors not THE defining factor.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
They do cap membership at DL - there's currently (and almost always has been) a waiting list. No doubt it's a profitable venture.

But Club 33 opened in DL in 1967. Why does anyone think Disney waited almost half a century to open the equivalent at WDW?
It's because Disney World only attracts white trash. Come on man, it's like you didn't even read the thread.

Minnesota disney fan

I said ONE of the defining factors not THE defining factor.
So did I, just reread it. Maybe we both need to take a second looko_O I guess acting out children and ignoring parents come in all classes. Having a large pubic service business opens your eyes to the general public and prior opinions I might have had about the rich and not so rich:)

Biff215

Besides that.
They ran out of other upcharge ideas that could increase profits. Honestly, Club 33 is a concept that doesn't necessarily work in WDW the same way it has at DL since it's inception, as pointed out by many in this thread. I'm not saying it will definitely fail, but it will no doubt have to look and feel different if it's going to be successful. Hopefully this has been well thought out as opposed to thrown together in a desperate attempt to pad the bottom line.

TP2000

I am not a Club 33 member, but I have dined there a couple times in the last 15 years and I have had a cocktail at the 1901 Lounge (Club 33 satellite location in California Adventure) as a guest of a member. I think you are misunderstanding the service level and operational needs of the Club 33 concept. It is not just a cheesy corporate lounge at Epcot for Exxon employees to get free Cokes and pretzels.

As one example, Club 33 requires a full staff of concierges. And not just WDW hotel "concierges" which are just college kids in ill-fitting polyester suits sitting at a desk in the Poly lounge to tell you that the parade is at 3 o'clock and Ohana is fully booked, all things anyone with an iPhone could do for themselves in 30 seconds. Club 33 concierges are actual, real-world concierges that arrange your guests entire Disneyland stay, from VIP tour guides to airport Town Car pickup to a club box at an Angels game and third row seats to the sold out Michael Buble concert at the Hollywood Bowl next weekend.

Then you've got hostesses at the door that pass out seasonally chilled or heated scented moist towels as you enter (to wipe off the theme park germs), a battalion of waiters and waitresses, bartenders and barbacks, the maitre'd, bussers, an entire kitchen staff, management and member services staff, live jazz bands and singers in the lounge, a live pianist in the lobby, etc., etc. It doesn't just take a village, it takes an army of staff to run Club 33 and 1901 Lounge for a day.

Quite frankly, with a $50,000 initiation fee and $12,000 annual dues after that and a multi-year waiting list to get in, I'm surprised that Disneyland makes much money on the whole thing after seeing the incredible level of staffing and service they provide members and their guests 365 days per year.

WDW management has a huge task to live up to the Club 33 service level. It can't just be a nicely decorated lounge with a bored bartender and a random college kid CM checking ID's at the door. WDW already has that middling lounge service with their "Deluxe Hotel Concierge Lounges" and the Epcot sponsorship lounges for every General Motors or Exxon middle manager and his sweaty kids. Club 33 is something very, very different. And it's not cheap to operate.

I assume TDO and WDW management understand what they are getting themselves into with this. :confused:

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom