Club 32 Lounge

Voxel

President of Progress City
haha i've been here for just over a week and it's ridiculous how much goes on!
we have our slow weeks and our quick weeks. I will appologize I tend to throw around a lot of ideas when I'm around.

Btw space I'm working on a bunch of concept are for an attraction that blends that idea of space you were talking about. I think you might like it

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Not asleep yet (I suppose everyone else is), so a little more...

For creating "flow" in between lands: We should all discuss this early when conceiving of the various lands. Write out a list of every transition planned, and we can all brainstorm solutions to each. Particularly, the sub-heads of adjoining lands can collaborate. Agreed, it will be trickiest from the dock hub of Colonial Street.

Now, while I really like this historical, "back-to-basics" approach, I think there's a big trap in it which Tom mentioned a while back. About our Fantasyland concept art, he felt we were leaning too far into the real world, and not fantasy enough. (He contrasted with a sketch of his showing like a zeppelin moored atop a tree, stuff you don't otherwise ever see.) Places like Colonial Street would doubly run that risk! So I'm thinking about overall park tone, something which is very important to me - something akin to the romanticized storybook feel which informs all of Disneyland Paris.

And I think back to Walt Disney and his obsessions, as @spacemt354 cites as our guiding influence. With Tom Sawyer's Island (which Walt designed personally), guests enter a young boy's make-believe adventures. Maybe all of our park could be like this, a make-believe adventure as we imagine young Walt would have imagined. So Colonial Street isn't a historically accurate recreation, but an innocent youth's larger-than-life impression of what the Colonial era was like. Disneyland is already sort of that way, but I say we lean even further into it! It's true to Walt, but hopefully still unique from the style of other castle parks. Thoughts?
That's the word I was looking for!

Romanticized

This is exactly what I was thinking to help bring the project closer to that feedback. For example Boston in the 1700s would be dirty, poor, etc. However in this version it's clean, quaint, and so on. It's the rose colored glasses view of each area. Same goes for Fantasyland and all the other lands -- I think the San Fran area would run into this as well.

We're seeing it from a child's perspective...because this park is supposed to be a place where the "young at heart" laugh, learn, play - together.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I'm loving what I see here. Space you might be in to something with taking the ideas Walt loved. I'm catch up more when I get home in about 10 hours.
we have our slow weeks and our quick weeks. I will appologize I tend to throw around a lot of ideas when I'm around.

Btw space I'm working on a bunch of concept are for an attraction that blends that idea of space you were talking about. I think you might like it
Sounds great can't wait to see!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Sure! Just fill me in on my specific responsibilities and I'll start!
It can vary based on the individual...but a "sub-lead" based on my interpretation has a vision for the land they are the sub-lead for...and has come to an agreement with the rest of the sub-leads in how each neighboring land flows into yours.

The idea of the sub-leads stems from trying to organize the project by always having someone for each land who knows what's going on -- therefore if a new member wants to join in Fantasyland for example later on, that sub-lead will be able to explain to them what's going on without everyone having to chime in!

JackWatkinson

It can vary based on the individual...but a "sub-lead" based on my interpretation has a vision for the land they are the sub-lead for...and has come to an agreement with the rest of the sub-leads in how each neighboring land flows into yours.

The idea of the sub-leads stems from trying to organize the project by always having someone for each land who knows what's going on -- therefore if a new member wants to join in Fantasyland for example later on, that sub-lead will be able to explain to them what's going on without everyone having to chime in!
I have some basic ideas for Adventureland but that is about all. However I think these could work if I put more thought into them however I wouldn't do this unless nobody else had ideas for what they see Adventureland accomplishing.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I have some basic ideas for Adventureland but that is about all. However I think these could work if I put more thought into them however I wouldn't do this unless nobody else had ideas for what they see Adventureland accomplishing.
Go ahead and share them by all means!

I'm going to expand on what I was talking about with the "back to basics" stuff last night:)

JackWatkinson

Go ahead and share them by all means!

I'm going to expand on what I was talking about with the "back to basics" stuff last night:)
I honestly didn't have much it was just a thought in my head. I would see my Adventureland-like Disneyland Paris- being split into 3 themed areas. One would be a Arabian theme, maybe Agrabah? Then you would have a South American theme- Mayan temples, cities of gold, Peru’s Machu Picchu, and the ornate European towns constructed by the arriving Spanish. Then you would have the pirate themed area, maybe inspired by the old Isla Tortuga concept art?-
pirate%20land%20hkdl.preview.jpg

I've not thought into any more detail than this. I would like to hear peoples thoughts on this and whether it would be worth expanding on?

Voxel

That's the word I was looking for!

Romanticized

This is exactly what I was thinking to help bring the project closer to that feedback. For example Boston in the 1700s would be dirty, poor, etc. However in this version it's clean, quaint, and so on. It's the rose colored glasses view of each area. Same goes for Fantasyland and all the other lands -- I think the San Fran area would run into this as well.

We're seeing it from a child's perspective...because this park is supposed to be a place where the "young at heart" laugh, learn, play - together.
Always romanticize unless you want a dark image. :)

JackWatkinson

These are all very strong concepts for Adventureland, @JackWatkinson. Since we're going with a Polynesian idea, based on Walt's own interest, I suggest more Tiki stuff too, like an expanded sub-land area inspired by the Enchanted Tiki Room. And wouldn't you know it, Tom Thordarson has done a ton of artwork in just this vein!
View attachment 199897
That art looks very good and would mean we have a good mix of distinct, not too dissimilar and not to similar areas to make up adventureland.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
8753984848726971709%253Faccount_id%253D9

Ok so go with me a minute here...Carolwood (Frontierland) and Polynesia (Adventureland) kinda got messed up. Since @D Hindley had brought up the concept of Tom Sawyer Island being a Walt classic...I tried to make both lands part of a "mega" Tom Saywer Island...but I realized then it would be tough...so ignore that for now haha

The bolded lines and labels are ideas I'm comfortable with

Starting in a romanticized colonial era -- you walk down the Colonial Street (with a few side streets as well to truly envelope you in the area) but all roads lead to the Harbor.

The Harbor is the "hub" of the park -- and contains the mouth of the bodies of water throughout the park.

Walking over the bridge to the bottom left, you walk into the Pacific Wharf/American Wharf -- themed to old San Francisco -- the trainsition here would be similar to crossing America's Great Rivers. I'm thinking even a small Tom Saywer Island or Mark Twain inspired ship could be a good gateway transition to the American West from Boston.

Going clockwise from the Wharf entry, we have our 2nd bridge -- and this one would lead directly into the "past" (parallel to the opposite side in the "future" entrance)

This would be the entrance to Carolwood/Frontierland -- and old fashioned romanticized desert/cowboy town (inspired by Western River Expedition most likely)

The next entrance is straight from the harbor -- and that enters Old England. The castle appearing in front of you, and to facilitate more of what Tom was talking about -- I simplified "Storybookland"/Fantasyland into 3 areas

He said that we should have more "fantasy" elements into the land -- so I think the Canals, Neverland, and Wonderland should be basically the entire back portion of the land.

Neverland would also seamlessly flow into "Polynesia"/Adventureland in the back left portion of the park
5a0860c5cf2df9f89eeb50448164006c.jpg

Storybookland creates that whimsical/fantasy perspective...and Wonderland can be completely interactive and immersive.

Off of that would be Villains Land - whose castle can be seen from parts of the land, acting as a weenie.

Based on the map -- I also have guests walking under train bridges in order to get to Neverland, Wonderland, or Villains -- which will all be connected beyond the brim, but creates a more significant transition walking under a bridge than just entering the land from Old England. It's basically like the Storybook Canals open up the imagination -- and you walk further to see that childlike imagination (and nightmares (villains)) come to life!

Off of Mr. Toad/Mary Poppins, would be the "Hundred Acre Wood" -- and a Critter Country Mini-Land with Country Bears and Splash -- which would flow behind the show buildings for Toad and MP -- inspired by the American "south" -- which would transition into the Mississippi and Mark Twain, which you cross in order to reach the Wharf in the bottom left -- and the American Southwest (Carolwood/Western River) if guests decide to make a turn.

On the right side of Fantasyland we have the "forest" which is always on the outskirts of old england towns...that's where BatB is -- which transitions into the Wonderland forest.

Then on the right side I trust Vox's vision -- so I just have Tomorrowland and Progressland/World's Fair

-------------

I'm sorry it's a bit stream of consciousness -- but hopefully some of this makes sense lol Let me know what you think!

Voxel

8753984848726971709%253Faccount_id%253D9

Ok so go with me a minute here...Carolwood (Frontierland) and Polynesia (Adventureland) kinda got messed up. Since @D Hindley had brought up the concept of Tom Sawyer Island being a Walt classic...I tried to make both lands part of a "mega" Tom Saywer Island...but I realized then it would be tough...so ignore that for now haha

The bolded lines and labels are ideas I'm comfortable with

Starting in a romanticized colonial era -- you walk down the Colonial Street (with a few side streets as well to truly envelope you in the area) but all roads lead to the Harbor.

The Harbor is the "hub" of the park -- and contains the mouth of the bodies of water throughout the park.

Walking over the bridge to the bottom left, you walk into the Pacific Wharf/American Wharf -- themed to old San Francisco -- the trainsition here would be similar to crossing America's Great Rivers. I'm thinking even a small Tom Saywer Island or Mark Twain inspired ship could be a good gateway transition to the American West from Boston.

Going clockwise from the Wharf entry, we have our 2nd bridge -- and this one would lead directly into the "past" (parallel to the opposite side in the "future" entrance)

This would be the entrance to Carolwood/Frontierland -- and old fashioned romanticized desert/cowboy town (inspired by Western River Expedition most likely)

The next entrance is straight from the harbor -- and that enters Old England. The castle appearing in front of you, and to facilitate more of what Tom was talking about -- I simplified "Storybookland"/Fantasyland into 3 areas

He said that we should have more "fantasy" elements into the land -- so I think the Canals, Neverland, and Wonderland should be basically the entire back portion of the land.

Neverland would also seamlessly flow into "Polynesia"/Adventureland in the back left portion of the park
5a0860c5cf2df9f89eeb50448164006c.jpg

Storybookland creates that whimsical/fantasy perspective...and Wonderland can be completely interactive and immersive.

Off of that would be Villains Land - whose castle can be seen from parts of the land, acting as a weenie.

Based on the map -- I also have guests walking under train bridges in order to get to Neverland, Wonderland, or Villains -- which will all be connected beyond the brim, but creates a more significant transition walking under a bridge than just entering the land from Old England. It's basically like the Storybook Canals open up the imagination -- and you walk further to see that childlike imagination (and nightmares (villains)) come to life!

Off of Mr. Toad/Mary Poppins, would be the "Hundred Acre Wood" -- and a Critter Country Mini-Land with Country Bears and Splash -- which would flow behind the show buildings for Toad and MP -- inspired by the American "south" -- which would transition into the Mississippi and Mark Twain, which you cross in order to reach the Wharf in the bottom left -- and the American Southwest (Carolwood/Western River) if guests decide to make a turn.

Then on the right side I trust Vox's vision -- so I just have Tomorrowland and Progressland/World's Fair

-------------

I'm sorry it's a bit stream of consciousness -- but hopefully some of this makes sense lol Let me know what you think!
Trusting of vox you do! I'll talk with the ppl on the other thread about ideas tonight. I have some forming but it's a group vision in the end.

Brer Oswald

Ok perfect!

MonorailRed

Applebees
Even nuttier idea (which I mostly say in jest because I know we've done a lot of work on Fantasyland and this proposal would throw most of it out the window....BUT

What if this is just the 5th WDW theme park ....or 2nd Shanghai Disneyland park...or just an extension of an already existing resort. It would give us a grounded presence...and location...which could help drive the narrative as everything would have to be original and unique.

We don't have to do this...but just as long as we are throwing it out there...we would be able to keep rides like Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Tangled, Storybook Canals, etc depending on where the new park would be located. I have no qualms with ridding of my own projects but at the same time I don't want to force others to do the same so if so I'd like to be able to keep most of them.

Actually.... I think I have a pretty cool location idea for this....

@Voxel - World's Fair Location for the 'Crazy Project' of '14?

So for sub-leads in the individual lands (correct me if anything wrong)

World's Fair - @StevenU
Tomorrowland/Discoveryland - @Voxel
American Wharf - @D Hindley

Also @MonorailRed I'm tagging you because I know you love Frontierland and I think would be good to lead that. :p

I'd love to be a sub-lead for Frontierland! Should I make a separate thread for that? :bookworm:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom