Club 32 Lounge

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Sketch #1 (Ignore the pathways on the right side those can always be streamlined)
9076802382959994453%253Faccount_id%253D9

Following the basic N E S W format. With Critter and Villains being the two "outsider" lands.

One thing is I felt like Critter fits more with Frontierland than it would if we had Fantasyland, Critter, Adventureland, then Frontierland.

Adventureland would be more fanciful in this edition, similarly in Discoveryland as well -- branching off of the Fantasyland proper, whereas the southern lands become more realistic.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Btw is there a certain era you guys are using for Main Street?
Also where are we building this?
Let's decide!

If we were doing a Main Street it was always going to be a turn of the century Main Street and the location was just thought to be a replacement for WDW's MK.

But let's delve deeper into it and come up with a location and if we use Main Street let's pick a different era(s)

Voxel

President of Progress City
Let's decide!

If we were doing a Main Street it was always going to be a turn of the century Main Street and the location was just thought to be a replacement for WDW's MK.

But let's delve deeper into it and come up with a location and if we use Main Street let's pick a different era(s)
The only reason I would ask is cause that effects the style of the Engines and the buildings

Sketch #1 (Ignore the pathways on the right side those can always be streamlined)
9076802382959994453%253Faccount_id%253D9

Following the basic N E S W format. With Critter and Villains being the two "outsider" lands.

One thing is I felt like Critter fits more with Frontierland than it would if we had Fantasyland, Critter, Adventureland, then Frontierland.

Adventureland would be more fanciful in this edition, similarly in Discoveryland as well -- branching off of the Fantasyland proper, whereas the southern lands become more realistic.
I like this blue prints And the way you do villain you might still be able to do it with a night show.

I would switch Tomorrowland and Discoveryland that way the train station in tomorrowland can be an "Attraction" that takes rides into the past. (in the advertising and themeing of the station).

Voxel

President of Progress City
I actually have extreme interest in doing Critter Country (or whatever it may become). I had an idea about introducing an obscure non-Disney IP about a certain bear and bird duo that I think fits th charm of Disney perfectly.
I need to know!!

Also I just had an epic, totally Disney attraction idea for Kingdom Keeper's, that is finally in the realm of technology. MWUAHAH.

D Hulk

Phew! Finally back from Easter dinner. So what'd I miss?

@spacemt354, like the new map. One or two suggestions. Could Villains Land move to the west side of Fantasyland, so that it can directly meet up with Critter Country behind the railroad?

And for the railroad, I agree with @Voxel that Tomorrowland might want a train station more than Discoveryland. Right now there are three stations total. Could we do four, adding one to Fantasyland and moving the last station into Tomorrowland?

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Phew! Finally back from Easter dinner. So what'd I miss?

@spacemt354, like the new map. One or two suggestions. Could Villains Land move to the west side of Fantasyland, so that it can directly meet up with Critter Country behind the railroad?

And for the railroad, I agree with @Voxel that Tomorrowland might want a train station more than Discoveryland. Right now there are three stations total. Could we do four, adding one to Fantasyland and moving the last station into Tomorrowland?
For sure!

I've actually just come up with something a bit different. It'll still keep the spirit of what we have -- but be a mix of your thought to design all of the lands only with an inspiration to the originals and changing the names

It'll make more sense when I draw it out. Coming up soon.

D Hulk

For sure!

I've actually just come up with something a bit different. It'll still keep the spirit of what we have -- but be a mix of your thought to design all of the lands only with an inspiration to the originals and changing the names

It'll make more sense when I draw it out. Coming up soon.
Sounds sweet! I think it's wise to move beyond the lands as we know them, while taking inspiration. My all-medieval version of that idea might not have been the best, I dunno, but I'm excited to see what you have developing!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Sounds sweet! I think it's wise to move beyond the lands as we know them, while taking inspiration. My all-medieval version of that idea might not have been the best, I dunno, but I'm excited to see what you have developing!
I'll give a brief tease in that...

We all look up to and aspire to be Walt Disney -- I mean if I could probably meet anyone famous who has passed away it would probably be Walt.

And a lot of what Walt loved became Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom as we know it.

For instance -- Walt loved outer space (hence the ideas for Rocket to the Moon, Space Mountain, etc)
B9WALT-ROCKETTOTHEMOON.jpg

Walt loved all things Polynesia
Tiki-RoomLARGE.jpg

He loved trains and old fashioned town settings that he grew up in
Trains.jpg

He loved telling stories - many times acting them out for his employees to inspire them
original

And California is an essential part of Walt's life as he created Mickey Mouse on the train out there, made his films and fortune, and settled down out there.

And he loved Progress
1.png

And he loved history
walt-and-lincoln.jpg

-------------------------------------------

The pull nowadays is towards -- what popular IP could blend into this park or that park, often times with a disregard to thematic backdrop and story (Epcot is a prime example). I'm not against IPs like Star Wars...but that to me ....it needs to fit into the narrative of the park (like a Hollywood Studios) but not a Magic Kingdom.

What I'm thinking of is a "back to the basics" park -- told to a new audience. The theme would be ...Walt Disney and keeping true to the man who started it all, with a core values theme park for all to explore.

---------------------------------------

This theme park would have lands such as: (names can be changed)

Colonial Street (inspired by Liberty Square/Main Street U.S.A./Edison Square (entrance to the park); featuring Walt's love of history)
Polynesia (inspired by tropical, Caribbean themes of Adventureland, Treasure Cove, Adventure Isle)
Carolwood (inspired by Frontierland and Walt's love of trains)
Pacific Wharf (inspired by the quaint designs of New Orleans Square and Liberty Square; modeled after old fashioned San Francisco)
Storybookland (inspired by Fantasyland, Storybook Circus, Villains Land, and Walt Disney animated films)
Tomorrowland (it's too iconic of a name...inspired by Walt's love of outer space - a merger of both Discoveryland/Bay and Tomorrowland)
Progressland (inspired by the 1964 World's Fair and Walt's love of progress, a "prequel" to Epcot)

I'd like to link these to show that while this park keeps these same core values, they'd be written in a different context.
Disneyland_plaque.jpg

Quiz3%20-%2012b.jpg

Our park slogan: (forgive my late at night writing)

This is a world of adventure, fantasy, and hope. A tribute to the visionaries of the past, present, and future. A Magic Kingdom that embodies the philosophies of Walt Disney and the entire Disney organization. May this happy place be a source of creativity, exploration, and discovery for all who aspire to believe...'if you can dream it, you can do it'.

D Hulk

I'll give a brief tease in that...

We all look up to and aspire to be Walt Disney -- I mean if I could probably meet anyone famous who has passed away it would probably be Walt.

And a lot of what Walt loved became Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom as we know it.

For instance -- Walt loved outer space (hence the ideas for Rocket to the Moon, Space Mountain, etc)
B9WALT-ROCKETTOTHEMOON.jpg

Walt loved all things Polynesia
Tiki-RoomLARGE.jpg

He loved trains and old fashioned town settings that he grew up in
Trains.jpg

He loved telling stories - many times acting them out for his employees to inspire them
original

And California is an essential part of Walt's life as he created Mickey Mouse on the train out there, made his films and fortune, and settled down out there.

And he loved Progress
1.png

And he loved history
walt-and-lincoln.jpg

-------------------------------------------

The pull nowadays is towards -- what popular IP could blend into this park or that park, often times with a disregard to thematic backdrop and story (Epcot is a prime example). I'm not against IPs like Star Wars...but that to me ....it needs to fit into the narrative of the park (like a Hollywood Studios) but not a Magic Kingdom.

What I'm thinking of is a "back to the basics" park -- told to a new audience. The theme would be ...Walt Disney and keeping true to the man who started it all, with a core values theme park for all to explore.

---------------------------------------

This theme park would have lands such as: (names can be changed)

Colonial Street (inspired by Liberty Square/Main Street U.S.A./Edison Square (entrance to the park); featuring Walt's love of history)
Polynesia (inspired by tropical, Caribbean themes of Adventureland, Treasure Cove, Adventure Isle)
Carolwood (inspired by Frontierland and Walt's love of trains)
Pacific Wharf (inspired by the quaint designs of New Orleans Square and Liberty Square; modeled after old fashioned San Francisco)
Storybookland (inspired by Fantasyland, Storybook Circus, Villains Land, and Walt Disney animated films)
Tomorrowland (it's too iconic of a name...inspired by Walt's love of outer space - a merger of both Discoveryland/Bay and Tomorrowland)
Progressland (inspired by the 1964 World's Fair and Walt's love of progress, a "prequel" to Epcot)

I'd like to link these to show that while this park keeps these same core values, they'd be written in a different context.
Disneyland_plaque.jpg

Quiz3%20-%2012b.jpg

Our park slogan: (forgive my late at night writing)

This is a world of adventure, fantasy, and hope. A tribute to the visionaries of the past, present, and future. A Magic Kingdom that embodies the philosophies of Walt Disney and the entire Disney organization. May this happy place be a source of creativity, exploration, and discovery for all who aspire to believe...'if you can dream it, you can do it'.
I do believe you've got something there!!!

Plenty to think on here, and how this guiding principle can guide us all towards creating consistently unique new interpretations of old classics...but the hour grows late. For now, slumber. More thoughts tomorrow. Fascinating ideas, @spacemt354.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
For more explanation -- going for "flow" -- Colonial Street would be inspired by Colonial Boston
boston-acorn-street_1715_600x450.jpg

I've gone to school for many years in Boston -- I would be all over this area...making it a quaint and beauty entry into the park.

I also have an idea how it would flow (inspired by my Columbia Harbor House example earlier.

At the end of Colonial Street is a Harbor (like Boston Harbor but a bit more fanciful)
4563-boston.jpg

Across the Bay you'd be looking at a medieval castle and Storybookland inspired by Fantasyland straight ahead...so it would fit thematically! It would be like looking across from Colonial Boston to England

New England to well...Old England!

It was something I just thought of and thought would be a neat transition.

As for the transitions into the other lands off the hub -- I'm not 100% sure yet...but I'm thinking
destruction.jpg

Could be possible to have a ship docked leading into Polynesia (as it would be a segue into "adventure")

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I do believe you've got something there!!!

Plenty to think on here, and how this guiding principle can guide us all towards creating consistently unique new interpretations of old classics...but the hour grows late. For now, slumber. More thoughts tomorrow. Fascinating ideas, @spacemt354.
Sounds good I should as well

Goodnight everyone!:) Will continue tomorrow!

D Hulk

Not asleep yet (I suppose everyone else is), so a little more...

For creating "flow" in between lands: We should all discuss this early when conceiving of the various lands. Write out a list of every transition planned, and we can all brainstorm solutions to each. Particularly, the sub-heads of adjoining lands can collaborate. Agreed, it will be trickiest from the dock hub of Colonial Street.

Now, while I really like this historical, "back-to-basics" approach, I think there's a big trap in it which Tom mentioned a while back. About our Fantasyland concept art, he felt we were leaning too far into the real world, and not fantasy enough. (He contrasted with a sketch of his showing like a zeppelin moored atop a tree, stuff you don't otherwise ever see.) Places like Colonial Street would doubly run that risk! So I'm thinking about overall park tone, something which is very important to me - something akin to the romanticized storybook feel which informs all of Disneyland Paris.

And I think back to Walt Disney and his obsessions, as @spacemt354 cites as our guiding influence. With Tom Sawyer's Island (which Walt designed personally), guests enter a young boy's make-believe adventures. Maybe all of our park could be like this, a make-believe adventure as we imagine young Walt would have imagined. So Colonial Street isn't a historically accurate recreation, but an innocent youth's larger-than-life impression of what the Colonial era was like. Disneyland is already sort of that way, but I say we lean even further into it! It's true to Walt, but hopefully still unique from the style of other castle parks. Thoughts?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom