Club 32 Lounge

The Excavator

Just wanted to say welcome to the forums to @Tom Thordarson :)

I must say after reading the blog http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2009/04/tribute-to-tom-thordarson-aka-thor_06.html -- your sketches and designs for Journey to the Center of the Earth are incredible! That ride is on my bucket list for an attraction I want to ride one day.

Anyways -- this thread (and this section of the forum) is a fun group of "armchair" imagineers that enjoy designing concepts together, if you ever wanted to take a look around and chime in. The last few pages offer some of the summaries of our work over the last few weeks. Welcome once again!
Wow so fun to read through that. Welcome @Tom Thordarson , nice to meet you!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Here's a concept art sketch of our Snow White attraction ride through -- titled Snow White and the Magic Mirror

Rough Order of Scenes

Enter (From Loading Area)
1 - Castle Courtyard, Snow White
2 - Dwarf Mine "Hi-Ho"
3 - Evil Queen and the Magic Mirror
4 - Snow White in the Forest
5 - Cottage, Cleaning, and Dancing
6 - "Take a Bite of the Apple"
7 - Dark Forest
8 - 7 Dwarfs to the Rescue
9 - Evil Queen's Last Stand
10 - "Some Day My Prince Will Come" Finale
Exit (To Unload Area)

Detailed Scene descriptions coming soon! Thoughts/feedback welcome in the meantime!

DlpPhantom

Here's a concept art sketch of our Snow White attraction ride through -- titled Snow White and the Magic Mirror

Rough Order of Scenes

2 - Dwarf Mine "Hi-Ho"
7 - Dark Forest
Exit (To Unload Area)

Detailed Scene descriptions coming soon! Thoughts/feedback welcome in the meantime!
great map reminds me of this.
cali83_mapken.jpeg

kap91

Rough Order of Scenes

2 - Dwarf Mine "Hi-Ho"
7 - Dark Forest
Exit (To Unload Area)

Daaaaaamn. Some skills!

Brer Oswald

Rough Order of Scenes

2 - Dwarf Mine "Hi-Ho"
7 - Dark Forest
Exit (To Unload Area)

I really love the design of this concept art, and I love the creative name for the attraction!

kap91

5092821030982675526%253Faccount_id%253D9

Didn't turn out quite as I was thinking haha -- but I was trying to make the trees seem like they are 3D with different shading in branch areas to make it seem like it's going in and out of the page. Have to work on it..

This is the dark forest scene btw
Definitely leans that way. I have to keep in mind when I'm drawing where the lights are at all times and remind myself I'm essentially drawing the shadows and areas not directly lit, not the object itself.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Hey everyone!

I was talking with a new member to the forums @Tom Thordarson who was kind enough to give a little feedback to our "Ultimate Magic Kingdom" project!

Being a former imagineer and the concept art designer for attractions such as Journey to the Center of the Earth, I think reading his feedback would be really helpful to us in organizing and designing the final drafts to our project. He has some really great tips and advice. Here's his feedback.
O.K...so I am just going to start in the middle of all this. We can work our way through as it unfolds. Let me start with over all observations and questions to send back at you guys!!
Look at every aspect so far. The over all plan. Then each "land". Also look at the art representing the idea..for each land and the over all feel of this project. There is a a great way I test myself as I draw as to how others will "feel" my idea and how and image is looked at. I call it...the 3 "reads". A "read" means how a person looks at the art. Your art is a visual story. What is challenging is that you...at first...often have just one frame..one picture to capture your "audience". If you over whelm them so they are looking at a bunch of "stuff" all at once...you WILL lose them. SO you learn as a concept designer...to "steer" your captive viewer to look at things in and order that...they can take in. Let's call it the 1, 2 3 "read".

I am looking at the art and the master plan and, especially in the illustrations of the areas, I don't feel a 1, 2 3 "read'. I am not sure what to look at as important and then what supports it. Great start and some nice art! But it needs to serve a different purpose.

In other words, "ONE" is a focal point. Always have a focal thing in your illustration. Disney called this the "weenie". In the industry..these illustrations are often called, P.O.V's. (Point of views). This is a way of saying..the point of view a guest will be seeing and experiencing your creation.

The human mind gets over whelmed if its asked to see everything at one time of equal importance. Like a song you listen to...there is a melody and a beat and there are notes of music that support those major firts" reads". A drawing/p.o.v is no different if done right.

SO before we move forward. I would ask everyone on this team. What is your focal "thing" in each p.o.v and have a first and second and third "read" of priority. This will "allure" your guest....into more and more about the story you are wanting to tell. On a master plan...what makes a person want to go down a path? What draws them? What's the "weenie".

But first, you have to do the above...to entrance them. As an illustrator, It's like saying..."Take my hand for a moment....and feel comfortable....and from here, I will take you to things beyond your imagination!!
Feel free to ask questions. Post your changes and such and I will take yah from there!! Have fun!!! Just "feel it" and draw it!! Remember...1, 2, 3 "read" ~~~

He'll post future feedback to the thread as we bring our project together. I can't thank you enough for the feedback! It's a real honor and thank you for your continued support of us into the future! Such a pleasure and treat to have someone as prominent as Tom Thordarson helping us out! :)

MonorailRed

Applebees
Hey everyone!

I was talking with a new member to the forums @Tom Thordarson who was kind enough to give a little feedback to our "Ultimate Magic Kingdom" project!

Being a former imagineer and the concept art designer for attractions such as Journey to the Center of the Earth, I think reading his feedback would be really helpful to us in organizing and designing the final drafts to our project. He has some really great tips and advice. Here's his feedback.

He'll post future feedback to the thread as we bring our project together. I can't thank you enough for the feedback! It's a real honor and thank you for your continued support of us into the future! Such a pleasure and treat to have someone as prominent as Tom Thordarson helping us out! :)

A big thank you to @Tom Thordarson for the feedback!

It's great to have you looking at the project Tom! :D Can't wait to see more feedback as the project goes on!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Happy Easter everyone!

I wanted to take a moment to dissect Tom's review looking specifically at a few portions (but I encourage everyone to read the whole review)

"In other words, "ONE" is a focal point. Always have a focal thing in your illustration. Disney called this the "weenie". In the industry..these illustrations are often called, P.O.V's. (Point of views). This is a way of saying..the point of view a guest will be seeing and experiencing your creation."

A few pages ago I combined everything we have so far in the project....however to a 3rd eye (a guest so to speak) who isn't privy to our project and is reading for the first time like Tom did, having every attraction of equal importance can overwhelm the reader. We have like 15 separate attractions (which all have nice art and stuff) but we don't have the "weenie" to the project.

If anything from now on -- I think we should focus our attention back to the big picture. Have something that entices the guest to continue to read further. As Tom was saying:

"SO before we move forward. I would ask everyone on this team. What is your focal "thing" in each p.o.v and have a first and second and third "read" of priority. This will "allure" your guest....into more and more about the story you are wanting to tell. On a master plan...what makes a person want to go down a path? What draws them? What's the "weenie".

But first, you have to do the above...to entrance them. As an illustrator, It's like saying..."Take my hand for a moment....and feel comfortable....and from here, I will take you to things beyond your imagination!!"

Let's take his advice and re-focus our attention on this!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom