Closing of Tower of Terror (WDW)

Matt_Black

Is anything left of the ride simulator? I know it would be a bit outdated now but I suppose with a little TLC they could bring something up to date like they did Star Tours (even though I do find Star Tours to feel very 80s/90s, even with the updates).

I seem to recall hearing that much, if not all, of what was left was sent to Hong Kong for the Iron Man attraction.

prberk

WDW's ToT is, quite possibly, one of the finest attractions ever. From the queue, to the pre-show, to the ride itself, to the exit, every single detail is there to establish mood and story. While I enjoy Marvel and GotG and want to see them in the parks somehow, I would be remarkably saddened if it came at the expense of what very well may be the pinnacle of Disney Imagineering.
I cannot agree more with regard to the completely immersive quality of that attraction. I agree that it might even be Imagineering's best accomplishment.

DinoInstitute

I haven't heard it will be reduced, I think both will feature the same 2 attractions and DHS might retain Star Tours as well, bringing it to 3. That means the park will have:

Star Tours
Millennium Falcon Attraction
Battle Escape Attraction
Buzz Lightyear Spinner
Slinkydog Coaster
Midway Mania
Muppet Vision 3D
Great Mickey Ride
Rockin Rollercoaster
TOT/Mission Breakout

That would be doubling the amount of rides, and if they do a quick retheme of TOT they can advertise that as another new attraction. It also means that Rockin Rollercoaster might get a Superhero retheme and finally get an appealing facade and queue.
They are not doubling the amount of rides. The park currently has 5 and are adding 4.
Whatever exec(s) is/was pondering this decision does not see the quality and popularity of the ToT.

It is a quality ride. It is a great ride. And I'm not alone in saying that, proof being that it does very very well in guest satisfaction. In my opinion, it's so great because it's not only thrilling, but also pulls you into a strong, cohesive, full story. So many other rides sacrifice story for thrill, and not only does ToT avoid doing that, it makes the thrill an essential part of the story. They are inseperable. That makes a great ride.

It's also hugely popular, drawing long waits! It gets good reviews and ratings from guests. And it's unusually popular outside of these circles. When other people discuss drop rides or drops in general, ToT often comes up. At least where I live, and I live many many miles from Florida, by the way. It's built a name, it's built a legacy. It's become a draw to WDW.

Finally, I shall say this. I have absolutely no doubt that imagineering could turn the ToT into an excellent GotG ride. But the big question is... WHY?! Why would they do it?Replacing Maelstrom, Snow White's Scary Adventures, The Great Movie Ride... that's one thing. But replacing a ride that's not in the least bit outdated, that's popular even to those outside of us park fans, that still draws long waits, that gets great guest reviews... I am at a loss. I cannot understand why they would sacrifice something so universally good for anything, anything at all, no matter what the replacement is.

My only conclusion is that the exec(s) is not very knowledgable. Perhaps they've never been on ToT. Perhaps they had absolutely no backround in theme parks before being put in charge of them.
Honestly, I think ToT belongs in the category of attractions like Haunted Mansion or the three MK mountains that everyone knows about even if you are the farthest thing from a theme park fan, and these rides attract those type of people to the park. ToT is a classic and it just makes zero sense to replace for every reason you said.
Here's another observation to hopefully support the evidence that the OP's rumor was false...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-Worl...193913?hash=item48937e9d79:g:j-4AAOSw9NdXvvCh

This is a new item which just started selling this fall. The official online Disney store seems to be out of them (you can find them on Google search but not on the site itself). Note the words at the bottom. Anything made since 2004 for Tower doesn't specify a location since it was sold at both parks. I have also seen a glass with this same design on it.

(That plate is also pretty cool; I will have to get one when I'm at WDW in June to go along with the various glasses I've been accumulating from Tower of Terror since 1995, including one that's so old I can't find a picture of one like it online).

Speaking of new merchandise, there's also a doll out now. (This definitely looks like something my niece would love, may have to get it for her).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Disney-Parks-Attractionistas-HOLLY-HOLLYWOOD-TOWER-HOTEL-Bellhop-Doll/172365142959?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=39007&meid=abc3b841f2f843c780442b1a334155a8&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&sd=252573089469

I did a little research and this was just released two weeks ago. A good sign, in my opinion.
The plate thing really means nothing...they have no problem selling this type of stuff to the audience they know will pay for it. They also sell GMR ones and classic EPCOT Center plates.

Tavernacle12

Is there a second HS location it could go that WOULDN'T remove a ride? Is there space in that parking lot between ToT and Rockin? If they gut Launch Bay? Maybe behind Backlot Express (or is that SWL?). If the plan was to bulldoze Energy they don't need a base ride to overlay. I agree that I'd rather have Rockin changed than Tower, but it'd be much more useful to have both remain.

Professortango1

They are not doubling the amount of rides. The park currently has 5 and are adding 4.

Honestly, I think ToT belongs in the category of attractions like Haunted Mansion or the three MK mountains that everyone knows about even if you are the farthest thing from a theme park fan, and these rides attract those type of people to the park. ToT is a classic and it just makes zero sense to replace for every reason you said.

The park currently has 6 attractions. If TOT and RR are rethemed alongside GMR, then the park would have 7 new attractions to boast of.

I love Tower, but it definitely needs an update. With the new lands opening, it also seems to stand out as odd. It'd be like if Magic Kingdom had a Main Street Land and attraction instead of Tomorrowland. The majority of the park will now be themed lands centered around non Fairy Take Disney properties, having the entire right side of the park themed the same as the entrance plaza and not IP based seems odd.

The fact is Disney wants to stop the Twilight Zone tie in. They can either remove the references and create new audio and visuals to retain the ghostly attraction or they could go another step and just retheme all of it and use it to promote an IP. Both solutions cost money and effort, but the retheme sells more merchandise and creates more ticket sales.

Last edited:

Bocabear

The park currently has 7 attractions. If TOT and RR are rethemed alongside GMR, then the park would have 6 new attractions to boast of.

I love Tower, but it definitely needs an update. With the new lands opening, it also seems to stand out as odd. It'd be like if Magic Kingdom had a Main Street Land and attraction instead of Tomorrowland. The majority of the park will now be themed lands centered around non Fairy Take Disney properties, having the entire right side of the park themed the same as the entrance plaza and not IP based seems odd.

The fact is Disney wants to stop the Twilight Zone tie in. They can either remove the references and create new audio and visuals to retain the ghostly attraction or they could go another step and just retheme all of it and use it to promote an IP. Both solutions cost money and effort, but the retheme sells more merchandise and creates more ticket sales.
The park currently has 5 rides and a couple shows... Sunset Blvd ALWAYS made sense in the context of the park...there is nothing dated or old about the TOT and the popularity of the attraction pretty much shows this. Destroying what was so beautifully designed and created there would be a travesty... I get they want new IPs in the park...the park is still very low on rides, so why not just build new ones and leave the tried and true crowd pleasers alone...

NearTheEars

I haven't heard it will be reduced, I think both will feature the same 2 attractions and DHS might retain Star Tours as well, bringing it to 3. That means the park will have:

Star Tours
Millennium Falcon Attraction
Battle Escape Attraction
Buzz Lightyear Spinner
Slinkydog Coaster
Midway Mania
Muppet Vision 3D
Great Mickey Ride
Rockin Rollercoaster
TOT/Mission Breakout

That would be doubling the amount of rides, and if they do a quick retheme of TOT they can advertise that as another new attraction. It also means that Rockin Rollercoaster might get a Superhero retheme and finally get an appealing facade and queue.

I actually like the big guitar and how it flows out to the gate.

Professortango1

The park currently has 5 rides and a couple shows... Sunset Blvd ALWAYS made sense in the context of the park...there is nothing dated or old about the TOT and the popularity of the attraction pretty much shows this. Destroying what was so beautifully designed and created there would be a travesty... I get they want new IPs in the park...the park is still very low on rides, so why not just build new ones and leave the tried and true crowd pleasers alone...

Star Tours
Muppet Vision 3D
Midway Mania
Great Movie Ride
Rockin Rollercoaster
Tower of Terror

That's 6 attractions.

Sunset Blvd USED to make perfect sense as the park was designed to feel like a working studio with backlot tour, green screen show, sound effects show, stunt show, and animation tour. The park is changing to a park with movie themed lands.

As for Tower. It was a walk on last time I visited while the other attractions had 15-60 minute waits. It's a great ride, but I'd love to see the 5th Dimension Room be redesigned and a better final scene. The Twilight Zone theme is on its way out, and with the amount of money it will take to replace the video, projections, music, and narration; I could definitely see them just turning the Tower into an action packed adventure attraction which sells Rocket Raccoon plushes in the gift shop.

AEfx

And you know that how?

I fully disagree that a GotG:MB would "create more ticket sales" than Tower of Terror.

I think that's a no brainer. Of course it would. Twilight Zone is a relatively dormant property versus GoG. There isn't a large contingent of Twilight Zone fans who come and see it, versus Marvel fans that would come see a new marvel ride. Same with merchandise.

I'm not saying I personally would choose it, but it undeniably would attract more people.

Professortango1

And you know that how?

I fully disagree that a GotG:MB would "create more ticket sales" than Tower of Terror.

Tower is beloved by the theme park community. Guardians is loved by general audiences and everyone shows up for new attraction. Nobody is booking a trip to see Tower of Terror. People might book a trip to see the new Guardians of the Galaxy ride, especially if it means a new land.

DinoInstitute

The park currently has 7 attractions. If TOT and RR are rethemed alongside GMR, then the park would have 6 new attractions to boast of.

I'm curious as to which 7 attractions you are referring to. Because there are more than that, with the exact number arguable as to what qualifies an attraction. However, you originally said rides, which there is a definitive amount of- 5.

And replacing is technically "new", but it does not add to the attraction count.

Don't forget Tower has a high loading capacity. Each elevator seats at least 24 if I'm counting correctly, and there are four elevators running. Assuming one elevator is in the drop shaft and the other is going up, this means 96 people can ride at a time. I don't think any of the other DHS rides boast that capacity except for possibly Star Tours.

Of course, it's also all about the time of the day, the type of people visiting the park, etc. I only had one walk-on with Tower, and it's because I ran to it immediately after Fantasmic. The others involved at least a 10 minute wait, usually more like 30+ (I'm only counting non-FP waits here).

I plan on riding it many times in June just in case it it gets re-themed after the new lands open (I'm planning on 13 times) and expect a mixed bag of wait times. I know at least one of those will be a rope-drop and another will be after Fantasmic, since I do like it at night.

Bonus points if I get another thunderstorm. Yes, I rode it during a thunderstorm. Yes, I saw real lightning flash as the doors opened to the exterior. No, I am not currently hanging out with Dewey Todd.

Professortango1

I'm curious as to which 7 attractions you are referring to. Because there are more than that, with the exact number arguable as to what qualifies an attraction. However, you originally said rides, which there is a definitive amount of- 5.

And replacing is technically "new", but it does not add to the attraction count.

There's 6 attractions.

Muppets
Midway
Star Tours
Great Movie Ride
Rockin Rollercoaster
Tower of Terror

As far as "new", that's how Disney will market it. For the majority of guests, it will be a new ride. Heck, I consider Frozen a new ride as the sets, animatronics, story, audio is all new.

There's 6 attractions.

Muppets
Midway
Star Tours
Great Movie Ride
Rockin Rollercoaster
Tower of Terror

As far as "new", that's how Disney will market it. For the majority of guests, it will be a new ride. Heck, I consider Frozen a new ride as the sets, animatronics, story, audio is all new.

By that logic, you also have Voyage of the Little Mermaid, One Man's Dream, Beauty and the Beast, and Indiana Jones.

Muppets is more of a show than a ride, and I wouldn't even consider GMR a "thrill ride". Even with GMR, that's only 5 rides, and with GMR not considered a "thriller", you have only 4.

Goofyernmost

There's 6 attractions.

Muppets
Midway
Star Tours
Great Movie Ride
Rockin Rollercoaster
Tower of Terror

Did you forget Indy, Mermaid, BatB and OMD?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom