Closing of Tower of Terror (WDW)

Daveeeeed

and it should be in HS not in Epcot!
I'm definitely in the "Anywhere but Epcot" camp, though Animal Kingdom would be awkward. HS would be the best fit
If we get it in The Universe of Energy consider that a massive win. In Future World the exterior will fit thematically, but in hws as tot it would destroy so much of the park's feel. It needs to go in Animation Courtyard or something, but TOT would be worse than anything Disney has ever done in its history for thematic purposes.

Bocabear

If we get it in The Universe of Energy consider that a massive win. In Future World the exterior will fit thematically, but in hws as tot it would destroy so much of the park's feel. It needs to go in Animation Courtyard or something, but TOT would be worse than anything Disney has ever done in its history for thematic purposes.
in the Universe of Energy it is no win either... It will be a major shift of the park dynamic.... I too want to save the ower Of Terror in it's current theme... Why can't they just build a Guardians Of The Gallery attraction in it's own new area...they have the space... they don't have to remove one thing to add another....

montyz81

I disagree. HS has such a mixed up theme right now, it wouldn't impact it in the least. This would be a far greater negative impact to Epcot then it ever would to HS. At the very least, Hollywood Studios is still in name a Studio. Having film related IP's hit the park in any form in any part of the park makes much more sense then fitting GoTG into a park that had nothing to do with IPs in the beginning. Additionally, GoTG does nothing to educate on Energy let alone the future. GoTG is fantasy, Epcot was always about a realistic view of the future and it's possibilities. I don't anticipate that we will live in anything like GoTG in the future therefore GoTG in Epcot;Energy would be a monumental fail the likes Disney has never seen! That is from a themeing perspective.

Phicinfan

in the Universe of Energy it is no win either... It will be a major shift of the park dynamic.... I too want to save the ower Of Terror in it's current theme... Why can't they just build a Guardians Of The Gallery attraction in it's own new area...they have the space... they don't have to remove one thing to add another....
If I am not mistaken, it is due to the fact that UoE is in dire need of help, and so is Epcot. While I agree the IP does not fit the current direction of the park, I think most will have to come to grips that Epcot is going to face some changes, hopefully not drastic, but some. I also think that if properly done, and by tying in the story line of GotG and the energy infinity stone, and future world, it can be incorporated well.

Phicinfan

I disagree. HS has such a mixed up theme right now, it wouldn't impact it in the least. This would be a far greater negative impact to Epcot then it ever would to HS. At the very least, Hollywood Studios is still in name a Studio. Having film related IP's hit the park in any form in any part of the park makes much more sense then fitting GoTG into a park that had nothing to do with IPs in the beginning. Additionally, GoTG does nothing to educate on Energy let alone the future. GoTG is fantasy, Epcot was always about a realistic view of the future and it's possibilities. I don't anticipate that we will live in anything like GoTG in the future therefore GoTG in Epcot;Energy would be a monumental fail the likes Disney has never seen! That is from a themeing perspective.
You make a great point, but so do the others.
If you think about DHS now, vs. what it will be in 2020 when SWL and such are completed, the net rides end up about the same.

with GotG added, as a new seperate ride, it would give some much needed capacity help. Then again, same could be said for the Mickey ride targeted for GMR.

I can only hope at some point in the near future we see what the "big picture is" for DHS, and what the overall theme of the new park will be, and hope there will be more additions later on.

ToyStoryMiss

Pardon me if I get this wrong, I didn't go through the whole thread, but aren't they not allowed to put GotG in Hollywood Studios due to the contract with Universal about Marvel?

Pardon my ignorance here if I'm wrong

Phicinfan

Pardon me if I get this wrong, I didn't go through the whole thread, but aren't they not allowed to put GotG in Hollywood Studios due to the contract with Universal about Marvel?

Pardon my ignorance here if I'm wrong
That is a question of some. Per the contract they are not supposed to be able to put Marvel in any of the theme parks, but that is related to only certain characters, and their ties to those characters. By many here, GotG are not in that catagory. But again, that hasn't been locked in stone either.

Professortango1

Could not disagree more. Everything at Epcot is Utopian and optimistic. Having a dystopian attraction based on blasting your way out of confinement doesn't match anything at the park. DHS is undergoing a major shift into being a park centered around bringing non Fairy Tale Disney Properties to life. We will have a Star Wars Land, a small Muppet Land, and a Toy Story Land. A new themed land around the Guardians Tower would fit perfectly and would also help balance the park. Then the park would be a Hollywood themed entrance corridor, Guardians and Super Hero type properties to the right, Star Wars to the Left, and Toy Story in front of you. Sounds like a great park to me.

Per @marni1971 I believe UoE is still the leading candidate

GOOD!! Universe of Energy is horrifically outdated and is something I have honestly skipped every trip for the past decade and a half. It's something that was initially aimed at the parents of the kids who go there now...and that's when those parents were kids.

Plus, having it there spares the Tower.

FWIW, I saw Tower was still being emphasized in the 45th Anniversary "45 reasons to visit WDW" slideshow, and it was featured pretty prominently, too. Hopefully that's a good sign?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That is a question of some. Per the contract they are not supposed to be able to put Marvel in any of the theme parks, but that is related to only certain characters, and their ties to those characters. By many here, GotG are not in that catagory. But again, that hasn't been locked in stone either.

Yeah, it really comes down to the question; are GotG part of the Avengers family of characters?

Professortango1

Yeah, it really comes down to the question; are GotG part of the Avengers family of characters?

They're not really. Neither is Doctor Strange. I could see Disney embracing the offshoot Marvel properties for Florida. Big Hero 6 ride, Doctor Strange, Guardians. They can't call it "Marvel," but they can definitely make it work. Heck, add an Incredibles Attraction to fit in with the Superhero themed area.

Bocabear

This whole scenario just feels like a lose-lose situation no matter what happens. The TOT conversion would be the worst thing to ever happen in a Disney park, but at the same time, the EPCOT die-hard fan in me is crushed to hear about the Universe of Energy proposal. As others have said, the ideal scenario would be for GOTG to get a brand new ride in DHS, but unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case.
Maybe they will kill all of Sunset Blvd...retheme Rock N Rollercoaster into a GOTG ride, redo Tower Of Terror into GOTG and make the whole street follow that theme. It could make sense, though I am in love with the original attraction and would hate to see it go away...
It just seems crazy to me...they fnally acknowledge that Hollywood Studios is in dire shape with only 5 rides, and aside from adding a reduced version of the Star Wars Land that California is getting and the super-lame Toy Story Land, they want to close existing rides to re-theme them? It should be more about adding adding adding... not removing anything existing that has not already been shut down...
Crazy...

tl77

The Twilight Zone "theme" really only amounts to the Twilight Zone name on the fiber optic entrance sign, a few seconds of video of Rod Serling, and the show's theme song... the rest of the attraction has no connection to the show. I really wouldn't be surprised if Disney stopped paying for the rights to that and just stuck with their own "HTH" Hollywood Tower Hotel theme which appears all over merch in the exit gift shop

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom