Closing of Tower of Terror (WDW)

Daveeeeed

I disagree. HS has such a mixed up theme right now, it wouldn't impact it in the least. This would be a far greater negative impact to Epcot then it ever would to HS. At the very least, Hollywood Studios is still in name a Studio. Having film related IP's hit the park in any form in any part of the park makes much more sense then fitting GoTG into a park that had nothing to do with IPs in the beginning. Additionally, GoTG does nothing to educate on Energy let alone the future. GoTG is fantasy, Epcot was always about a realistic view of the future and it's possibilities. I don't anticipate that we will live in anything like GoTG in the future therefore GoTG in Epcot;Energy would be a monumental fail the likes Disney has never seen! That is from a themeing perspective.
You're joking. Sunset Boulevard is one of the best themed lands in Orlando, making it guardians of the galaxy themed would be disastrous for the park. UoE should not be rethemed to guardians and instead something original, but to retheme one of Disney's best rides ever and ruin an entire land because of it is just pure madness. Guardians taking over ellen can be ignored, it's one of 6 pavilions in FW (7 including WoL) Changing tower would ruin the entire land. It's a win as it is the better of the two. Plus UoE it would be a unique ride and not a retheme. Not the optimal choice, as an original replacement for UoE would be the best, but it is the far lesser of two evils.

Last edited:

rd805

GOOD!! Universe of Energy is horrifically outdated and is something I have honestly skipped every trip for the past decade and a half. It's something that was initially aimed at the parents of the kids who go there now...and that's when those parents were kids.

Plus, having it there spares the Tower.

FWIW, I saw Tower was still being emphasized in the 45th Anniversary "45 reasons to visit WDW" slideshow, and it was featured pretty prominently, too. Hopefully that's a good sign?

The current UoE is so terrible it isn't even funny. And I love Bill Nye and Ellen! If the best thing you can say about an attraction is that you can take a nap/rest on it, there is something OBVIOUSLY wrong.

IMHO, I love GoTG replacing UoE. I'm in the minority, but EPCOT needs more attractions, and top of the line ones. They need to start competing with the amazing technology and themed rides at Universal. Heck, even Seaworld is really stepping up their game!

If GoTG does not end up replacing UoE, I'm totally cool --- but something BIGGER and BETTER needs to take UoE's place. And soon... because even it is announced within the next 6-8 months, we won't see it for 5 years ;).

Vent over haha!

Professortango1

Maybe they will kill all of Sunset Blvd...retheme Rock N Rollercoaster into a GOTG ride, redo Tower Of Terror into GOTG and make the whole street follow that theme. It could make sense, though I am in love with the original attraction and would hate to see it go away...
It just seems crazy to me...they fnally acknowledge that Hollywood Studios is in dire shape with only 5 rides, and aside from adding a reduced version of the Star Wars Land that California is getting and the super-lame Toy Story Land, they want to close existing rides to re-theme them? It should be more about adding adding adding... not removing anything existing that has not already been shut down...
Crazy...
I haven't heard it will be reduced, I think both will feature the same 2 attractions and DHS might retain Star Tours as well, bringing it to 3. That means the park will have:

Star Tours
Millennium Falcon Attraction
Battle Escape Attraction
Buzz Lightyear Spinner
Slinkydog Coaster
Midway Mania
Muppet Vision 3D
Great Mickey Ride
Rockin Rollercoaster
TOT/Mission Breakout

That would be doubling the amount of rides, and if they do a quick retheme of TOT they can advertise that as another new attraction. It also means that Rockin Rollercoaster might get a Superhero retheme and finally get an appealing facade and queue.

Professortango1

You're joking. Sunset Boulevard is one of the best themed lands in Orlando, making it guardians of the galaxy themed would be disastrous for the park. UoE should not be retheme to guardians and instead something original, but to retheme one of Disney's best rides ever and ruin an entire land because of it is just pure madness. Guardians taking over ellen can be ignored, it's one of 6 pavilions in FW (7 including WoL) Changing tower would ruin the entire land. It's a win as it is the better of the two. Plus UoE it would be a unique ride and not a retheme. Not the optimal choice, as an original replacement for UoE would be the best, but it is the far lesser of two evils.

I wouldn't call it one of the best themed lands. Harambe in Animal Kingdom is more immersive, New Fantasyland is more majestic, and it doesn't hold a candle to the Harry Potter lands. It's pleasant, but it feels empty. There's the mini version of the Carthay Circle Theatre, but it's just a shop inside. There's the Red Car barn, but it's just a coffee shop and there's no streetcars actually moving about. It's a great entrance plaza, but I wouldn't call it a well themed land. Plus we already know Disney is willing to retheme a popular attraction and throw off a well themed land as they are doing it in California and offsetting all of the work they put into Buena Vista Street/Hollywoodland. I do think the Guardians overlay would work better in the DHS version as the 5th Dimension room and other spacial differences open it up to animatronics and show scenes.

Tavernacle12

There's a 'Carasoul of Progress Love' Twitter account that seems to be from someone that works at the attraction (CoP, not ToT). They recently said that Guardians at UoE was dead and there was a 'second location' planned for HS instead besides ToT (which according to insiders here would make more sense as our ToT got spared in part due to the loss of capacity). Considering it seemed like they weren't going to use the building for UoE and demolish it anyways, hopefully there's a spot somewhere in HS that wouldn't require them to demolish a ride to build it.

Last edited:

No Name

Whatever exec(s) is/was pondering this decision does not see the quality and popularity of the ToT.

It is a quality ride. It is a great ride. And I'm not alone in saying that, proof being that it does very very well in guest satisfaction. In my opinion, it's so great because it's not only thrilling, but also pulls you into a strong, cohesive, full story. So many other rides sacrifice story for thrill, and not only does ToT avoid doing that, it makes the thrill an essential part of the story. They are inseperable. That makes a great ride.

It's also hugely popular, drawing long waits! It gets good reviews and ratings from guests. And it's unusually popular outside of these circles. When other people discuss drop rides or drops in general, ToT often comes up. At least where I live, and I live many many miles from Florida, by the way. It's built a name, it's built a legacy. It's become a draw to WDW.

Finally, I shall say this. I have absolutely no doubt that imagineering could turn the ToT into an excellent GotG ride. But the big question is... WHY?! Why would they do it?Replacing Maelstrom, Snow White's Scary Adventures, The Great Movie Ride... that's one thing. But replacing a ride that's not in the least bit outdated, that's popular even to those outside of us park fans, that still draws long waits, that gets great guest reviews... I am at a loss. I cannot understand why they would sacrifice something so universally good for anything, anything at all, no matter what the replacement is.

My only conclusion is that the exec(s) is not very knowledgable. Perhaps they've never been on ToT. Perhaps they had absolutely no backround in theme parks before being put in charge of them.

Ah, I liked that color scheme better. They changed the light green to orange and the darkish gray to red, which doesn't look terrible, but I think it looks worse. Though I do like the change of the name and subsequent change of the sign to include "Peoplemover," which occured after that picture was taken.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

WDW's ToT is, quite possibly, one of the finest attractions ever. From the queue, to the pre-show, to the ride itself, to the exit, every single detail is there to establish mood and story. While I enjoy Marvel and GotG and want to see them in the parks somehow, I would be remarkably saddened if it came at the expense of what very well may be the pinnacle of Disney Imagineering.

Haymarket2008

I checked out that Twitter post. Apparently they have a new location for GoTG at DHS and it's not Tower. (big sigh of relief if it's right)

I'm going to go on a wild guess here and say RnRC if they re-theme anything since the GoTG ride was rumored to be a coaster.

Martin, any confirmation on this?

I'd assume, and I'd hope, it is RnRC. That seems to be the odd man thematically out amongst the DHS attraction lineup. Also the Guardians in Epcot rumor has been pretty quiet recently....hopefully for the better.

Here's another observation to hopefully support the evidence that the OP's rumor was false...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-Worl...193913?hash=item48937e9d79:g:j-4AAOSw9NdXvvCh

This is a new item which just started selling this fall. The official online Disney store seems to be out of them (you can find them on Google search but not on the site itself). Note the words at the bottom. Anything made since 2004 for Tower doesn't specify a location since it was sold at both parks. I have also seen a glass with this same design on it.

(That plate is also pretty cool; I will have to get one when I'm at WDW in June to go along with the various glasses I've been accumulating from Tower of Terror since 1995, including one that's so old I can't find a picture of one like it online).

Speaking of new merchandise, there's also a doll out now. (This definitely looks like something my niece would love, may have to get it for her).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Disney-...34155a8&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&sd=252573089469

I did a little research and this was just released two weeks ago. A good sign, in my opinion.

JustInTime

I checked out that Twitter post. Apparently they have a new location for GoTG at DHS and it's not Tower. (big sigh of relief if it's right)

I'm going to go on a wild guess here and say RnRC if they re-theme anything since the GoTG ride was rumored to be a coaster.

Martin, any confirmation on this?
The only problem with that is that RNRC being themed could be one step closer to a new mini land and could result in TOT rethemed either way. What about star tours?

Star Tours is another one I thought of, since it may not survive past the new Star Wars Land in two years. Although it was recently updated, the simulator still feels pretty old. Easy solution--gut the building and start over.

There's also the Animation Courtyard and Great Movie Ride (if it doesn't become Mickey).

RnRC would be easy to overlay, much easier than DCA's Tower. Rip out the guitar, change the onboard sights, and keep the coaster intact, maybe do a little theming. It would probably even be possible to keep it open for most of the refurbishment. The above poster's fear is mine as well if it happens, although it's far enough away from Sunset Boulevard that it could be a land back there--there is extra land back that way, right?

JustInTime

Star Tours is another one I thought of, since it may not survive past the new Star Wars Land in two years. Although it was recently updated, the simulator still feels pretty old. Easy solution--gut the building and start over.

There's also the Animation Courtyard and Great Movie Ride (if it doesn't become Mickey).

RnRC would be easy to overlay, much easier than DCA's Tower. Rip out the guitar, change the onboard sights, and keep the coaster intact, maybe do a little theming. It would probably even be possible to keep it open for most of the refurbishment. The above poster's fear is mine as well if it happens, although it's far enough away from Sunset Boulevard that it could be a land back there--there is extra land back that way, right?
Every rumor points to ST being rethemed. I've heard one possibly would be Big Hero 6. Though, I'd rather it be a zootopia taxi ride driven by flash.

Every rumor points to ST being rethemed. I've heard one possibly would be Big Hero 6. Though, I'd rather it be a zootopia taxi ride driven by flash.

I like the Zootopia idea!! Actually...if you don't put Zootopia there, why not put it in Body Wars? There are enough lessons you could take from Zootopia to make it somewhat educational.

JustInTime

I like the Zootopia idea!! Actually...if you don't put Zootopia there, why not put it in Body Wars? There are enough lessons you could take from Zootopia to make it somewhat educational.
Zootopia was so good. They could put it just about anywhere and I wouldn't care. Not many IPs I can say that about!

Because Body Wars has gone.

Is anything left of the ride simulator? I know it would be a bit outdated now but I suppose with a little TLC they could bring something up to date like they did Star Tours (even though I do find Star Tours to feel very 80s/90s, even with the updates).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom