Closing of Tower of Terror (WDW)

No Name

Tower is beloved by the theme park community. Guardians is loved by general audiences and everyone shows up for new attraction. Nobody is booking a trip to see Tower of Terror. People might book a trip to see the new Guardians of the Galaxy ride, especially if it means a new land.
I think that's a no brainer. Of course it would. Twilight Zone is a relatively dormant property versus GoG. There isn't a large contingent of Twilight Zone fans who come and see it, versus Marvel fans that would come see a new marvel ride. Same with merchandise.

I'm not saying I personally would choose it, but it undeniably would attract more people.

I think you're both very wrong. Tower of Terror is one of the few rides that people outside of the theme park community or past visitors know of. Same with It's a Small World. They are what people know of WDW. That's why the place draws millions of visitors each year, because its built a legacy and a reputation, and ToT is a key part of that.

The Twilight Zone is hardly the IP. Tower of Terror itself is the IP, and so The Twilight Zone's popularity holds little relevance here. Much like Song of the South's popularity holds no relevance to Splash Mountain's. In fact, I'd even go so far as to say that more regular people could identify what "The Tower of Terror" is over what "Guardians of the Galaxy" is.

So I totally and full-heartedly believe that ToT is far more of a pull than a GotG makeover would become. However much you may not like to hear this, most normal people don't book a trip to go on a new ride based off of an IP (unless it's Star Wars Land or something huge). Theme park fanatics do that. Locals do that. Normal people go because they've heard of the great time others have had, and they want to have the same great experience.

Professortango1

By that logic, you also have Voyage of the Little Mermaid, One Man's Dream, Beauty and the Beast, and Indiana Jones.

Muppets is more of a show than a ride, and I wouldn't even consider GMR a "thrill ride". Even with GMR, that's only 5 rides, and with GMR not considered a "thriller", you have only 4.

Muppets is an attraction as it is a continuous experience without show times or performers. It is like Honey I Shrunk the Audience or Tough to be a Bug, a 3D attraction with audio animatronics.

Professortango1

Sorry, but how does that not qualify as an attraction? Muppets does as well. Having a scheduled show time does not eliminate it as an attraction in anybodies book. Mermaid... same thing.

Well, I believe it is different departments as well. The cast members who load and start show for Muppets are the same who do other such attractions. I'm pretty sure Mermaid and Indy performers are from entertainment and not ride operations.

I think we're all going off different definitions here...Disney's official vs. "Layman's Terms".

For the commoner, we're referring to rides that make some people scream--roller coasters, free falls, etc.

I get what you're saying with shows and attractions, since there are no actual actors involved with Muppets or other attractions using animatronics/projectors in lieu of humans. (In fact, it makes total sense to me). It's just that the average person from the park-going public sees Muppets as a show--a place with a theater where load times are "fixed" by time.

That's why Tower is so critical to DHS right now. I know there are a lot of people who joke about Ellen's Energy Adventure as the place to get a nap at Epcot. The same could be said of anything that doesn't jolt you around. A lot of people come for these type of rides and little else. Once they have the four new rides going, it may not be nearly as important, but it's been neck and neck with RnRC as the top billed ride in the park for a long time now.

Another perk to Tower is that you can shut down half the ride and still have it going. I'm pretty sure they do this in the winter when they do routine maintenance on it. This isn't possible with RnRC (or any roller coaster). When RnRC goes down, Tower is THE draw to the park, much like it was for its first few years. In other words, it's an almost foolproof ride to have around when the "ride rides" are few in number.

No Name

Take it up with Disney. Tough to be a Bug is listed as an Attraction. Finding Nemo is listed as a show. One has show times, one is open from open to close. One is a 3D movie, the other is a live performance.

On that note, here's a link. Looks like you will have to take it up with them as well, as there are more than 6 attractions.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/hollywood-studios/

If you disagree with the official ruling, then that's fine, but you can't assert that you're right and goofyernmost (or others) are wrong. Because neither of you are right. I disagree with Disney too. In the end, it's simply opinion, and everyone's opinion is different.

Goofyernmost

Well, I believe it is different departments as well. The cast members who load and start show for Muppets are the same who do other such attractions. I'm pretty sure Mermaid and Indy performers are from entertainment and not ride operations.
You listed as "attractions" not rides. Rides are attractions and shows are also. What they are would be things to do in a theme park. Apparently you do not consider anything but rides as important so I guess that is what you head for. Me, I like all of it and as such it occupies a lot of my time going to everything. But, you did list Muppets as one of your "attractions". How is that different then Indy or Mermaid or BatB? Last I remember, the seats in Muppets were stationary, but, with 3D the screen came to you.

Professortango1

You listed as "attractions" not rides. Rides are attractions and shows are also. What they are would be things to do in a theme park. Apparently you do not consider anything but rides as important so I guess that is what you head for. Me, I like all of it and as such it occupies a lot of my time going to everything. But, you did list Muppets as one of your "attractions". How is that different then Indy or Mermaid or BatB? Last I remember, the seats in Muppets were stationary, but, with 3D the screen came to you.

Well, if you read earlier I mentioned the fact they are staffed from different departments. 3D attractions are a permanent attraction whereas a show requires entertainment staff.

NearTheEars

Star Tours
Muppet Vision 3D
Midway Mania
Great Movie Ride
Rockin Rollercoaster
Tower of Terror

That's 6 attractions.

Sunset Blvd USED to make perfect sense as the park was designed to feel like a working studio with backlot tour, green screen show, sound effects show, stunt show, and animation tour. The park is changing to a park with movie themed lands.

As for Tower. It was a walk on last time I visited while the other attractions had 15-60 minute waits. It's a great ride, but I'd love to see the 5th Dimension Room be redesigned and a better final scene. The Twilight Zone theme is on its way out, and with the amount of money it will take to replace the video, projections, music, and narration; I could definitely see them just turning the Tower into an action packed adventure attraction which sells Rocket Raccoon plushes in the gift shop.

Man, I wish ToT was a walk on when we go. It's not typically crazy long, but usually 30-40 minutes.
Last week, we did get on in about 20 minutes when wait was listed at 40. I was thankful for that.

Goofyernmost

Well, if you read earlier I mentioned the fact they are staffed from different departments. 3D attractions are a permanent attraction whereas a show requires entertainment staff.
How the devil does that matter when determining if something is an attraction or not. They are all attractions. Some of the attractions are rides. You cannot ride Muppets all you can do is watch it. This is just gibberish so I'm moving on.

Matt_Black

How the devil does that matter when determining if something is an attraction or not. They are all attractions. Some of the attractions are rides. You cannot ride Muppets all you can do is watch it. This is just gibberish so I'm moving on.

Yeah. Swiss Family Treehouse counts as an attraction, and that's basically a glorified set of stairs!

Goofyernmost

what I said was there were 5 rides and a couple shows...
and there are 5 RIDES and a the rest are shows...
When California Adventure opened the Tortilla Making shop was considered an "Attraction"...lol
Yes, and they both come under the category of Attractions. Honestly this is the silliest conversation we have ever had for a while. It's a bit of a language problem. The simplest example I can think of is this: Under that heading of Transportation you will find:
Cars
Boats
Trains
Monorail
Rickshaws
Space Shuttles
Buses
Airplanes
Horses
Bicycles
Canoes
Feet
And probably many others. All falling under different departments or organizations, still all transportation. Rides and Shows in a theme park equal Attractions. Even stationary displays are Attractions. I don't think it can get any easier then that.

AEfx

However much you may not like to hear this, most normal people don't book a trip to go on a new ride based off of an IP (unless it's Star Wars Land or something huge). Theme park fanatics do that. Locals do that. Normal people go because they've heard of the great time others have had, and they want to have the same great experience.

However much you may not like to hear this, outside of theme park fanatics no one gets attached to things in the way in which you put forth. They just want new and exciting experiences. They don't hold such nostalgia or reverence as you think. They think "been there done that" - not "must replicate past experience".

Again, though, I'm not advocating it happen - but I certainly see how it clearly would be a bigger individual draw.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom