Closing of Tower of Terror (WDW)

Goofyernmost

Can we all agree that DHS has 5 RIDES and everything else is a show or attraction. This is important because for many non-Disney fans, it is only the rides that matter. Shows and attractions are secondary things to do.
Nope can't do it. Rides are attractions and Shows are attractions and on top of it all why the hell does it matter. Some people like the shows more then the rides and visa versa. It doesn't matter can we just get past this, call it what you want, but, someone is going to be wrong when it comes to word definition. Live in your own world, why would I care, however, Disney calls everything that isn't a dining experience or shopping an attraction so argue with them about whether or not they know what they are talking about.

Professortango1

Maybe its an East Coast vs West Coast thing. I know growing up at Disneyland, shows were considered differently than attractions. Mission to Mars, Country Bear Jamboree, America Sings, Captain EO and such show-like experiences were considered attractions or rides even if they were simply sitting and watching animatronics or a screen. The live bands in Tomorrowland, the shows at Fantasyland Theatre, Golden Horseshoe, and Aladdins Oasis were considered shows performed in a Disney venue.

I think it's partly advertising as Disney advertises new attractions like Stitch and Philharmagic differently than they advertise the new Frozen Sing Along Show or new acts in Epcot.

Oh well, DHS can definitely use more attractions and/or rides and I understand the allure of wanting to generate new excitement with a retheme of the Tower and bringing in another IP based land. Either way, I do hope the Tower gets some updates when they remove the Twilight Zone theme to help it better hold its own against the new technology coming in with Star Wars Land and the proposed retheme of Great Movie Ride.

RSoxNo1

WDW's ToT is, quite possibly, one of the finest attractions ever. From the queue, to the pre-show, to the ride itself, to the exit, every single detail is there to establish mood and story. While I enjoy Marvel and GotG and want to see them in the parks somehow, I would be remarkably saddened if it came at the expense of what very well may be the pinnacle of Disney Imagineering.
Tower at DHS is better than any single ride in Tokyo.

BrianLo

As good as. Better is going to come down to personal preferences. The early 90's were some of WDI's finest work that they never managed to live up to again for largely the past two decades, outside of Tokyo.

JTTCOTE, Indy and Splash are all semi-recent premium attractions in Tokyo that deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as DHS' ToT. Sindbad I love more than I objectively should.

They finally started building new attractions again that can meet that level of excellence in the last few years... just none of them have yet opened at WDW.

Professortango1

I'd very much disagree. Indiana Jones, 20,000 Leagues, and Journey to the Center of the Earth are incredible attractions. The Tokyo Tower is very impressive too with the effects. I wish the DHS could get an upgrade to such affects and maybe something Disney quality in the 5th Dimension Room. I will say that the DHS Tower is probably one of the best attractions currently at WDW.

andre85

I'd very much disagree. Indiana Jones, 20,000 Leagues, and Journey to the Center of the Earth are incredible attractions.

Indiana Jones is very good, but in the same league as ToT it is not, in terms of it being a fully realized and themed environment. What with its multiple unthemed hallways poorly disguised by darkness (you can literally see where the set design ends) and some pretty cheesy effects (Ghost-mummy, rat projections). JotE is certainly closer if not directly comparable in terms of being as fully themed, but the ride itself was disappointing.

With that said, I don't disagree that they're not worthy of being uttered in the same breath. That just doesn't mean that one can't still be the overall winner.

Last edited:

Professortango1

Indiana Jones is very good, but in the same league as ToT it is not, in terms of it being a fully realized and themed environment. What with its multiple unthemed hallways poorly disguised by darkness (you can literally see where the set design ends) and some pretty cheesy effects (Ghost-mummy, rat projections). JotE is certainly closer if not directly comparable in terms of being as fully themed, but the ride itself was disappointing.

With that said, I don't disagree that they're not worthy of being uttered in the same breath. That just doesn't mean that one can't still be the overall winner.

Tokyo doesn't have rat projections. Considering how empty and uneventful the 5th Dimension Room is, I can't compare plastic signs hanging from fishing line to full scenes with animatronics, set, and effects all around you. The DHS Tower is the epitome of cheesy effects in my opinion. Its fun, but we hear plenty of laughs at the expense of poor audio design and the awkwardness that is the 5th Dimension Room. Tower is good for WDW, but it doesn't compare to more recent attractions at Tokyo or even Anaheim. Gorgeous themeing with 1989 tech.

andre85

Considering how empty and uneventful the 5th Dimension Room is, I can't compare plastic signs hanging from fishing line to full scenes with animatronics, set, and effects all around you. The DHS Tower is the epitome of cheesy effects in my opinion. Its fun, but we hear plenty of laughs at the expense of poor audio design and the awkwardness that is the 5th Dimension Room. Tower is good for WDW, but it doesn't compare to more recent attractions at Tokyo or even Anaheim. Gorgeous themeing with 1989 tech.

The 5th dimension room is the exact reason why it's heralded by many as not just the best tower, but one of the best rides in the world. I would submit the "cheese" is an inherent part of the Twilight Zone experience, and "empty" (a descriptor I would also disagree with) is quite different from obviously unthemed.

At any rate, it's clear we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Professortango1

The 5th dimension room is the exact reason why it's heralded by many as not just the best tower, but one of the best rides in the world. I would submit the "cheese" is an inherent part of the Twilight Zone experience, and "empty" (a descriptor I would also disagree with) is quite different from obviously unthemed.

At any rate, it's clear we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I think the 5th Dimension is a technical marvel and a fun surprise when it initially happens, but many feel Disney dropped the ball on the actual room. Non Theme Park fans won't realize the ride is trackless in that section, so that technical footnote is lost of most guests. Disney also doesn't use the trackless tech for anything showy. I mean obviously an elevator car moving from one shaft to another is showy, but it doesn't highlight the trackless nature in a way that trackless darkrides do with the cars bouncing around a large room in a seemingly random way without any indication where you're going next.

As for the room design, I wouldn't mind stark if used effectively. Me personally, I'd love to see the room replaced with a 3 dimension star field you travel through. An inky black limbo floating along. Right now it seems like we're getting a sneak preview of a Disney Store Mall window display with plastic mannequins and signs on fishing line behind large glass windows. It seems the Collector from Guardians has already set up shop here with the industrial glass containment look of the set. There's only 3 issues I have with the DHS Tower (5th Dimension Room themeing, the end of the hallway scene just kind of quietly dying out without any button on the end, and the silent projection finale at the bottom of the drop shaft.) I think it has the bones to be a Disney great, I just think it needs a little love and updating.

Can it get that Disney "plussing" without management writing off the budget as a retheme to a Disney property? That's debatable. But I do think Tower's effects might negatively stand out against the new Star Wars Land effects and the new Great Mickey Ride. Its like Ellen's Energy Adventure next to Mission Space and Test Track. Ellen is another technical marvel with the flow of the attraction, but its definitely outdated next to these modern attractions.

FigmentForver96

I think the 5th Dimension is a technical marvel and a fun surprise when it initially happens, but many feel Disney dropped the ball on the actual room. Non Theme Park fans won't realize the ride is trackless in that section, so that technical footnote is lost of most guests. Disney also doesn't use the trackless tech for anything showy. I mean obviously an elevator car moving from one shaft to another is showy, but it doesn't highlight the trackless nature in a way that trackless darkrides do with the cars bouncing around a large room in a seemingly random way without any indication where you're going next.

As for the room design, I wouldn't mind stark if used effectively. Me personally, I'd love to see the room replaced with a 3 dimension star field you travel through. An inky black limbo floating along. Right now it seems like we're getting a sneak preview of a Disney Store Mall window display with plastic mannequins and signs on fishing line behind large glass windows. It seems the Collector from Guardians has already set up shop here with the industrial glass containment look of the set. There's only 3 issues I have with the DHS Tower (5th Dimension Room themeing, the end of the hallway scene just kind of quietly dying out without any button on the end, and the silent projection finale at the bottom of the drop shaft.) I think it has the bones to be a Disney great, I just think it needs a little love and updating.

Can it get that Disney "plussing" without management writing off the budget as a retheme to a Disney property? That's debatable. But I do think Tower's effects might negatively stand out against the new Star Wars Land effects and the new Great Mickey Ride. Its like Ellen's Energy Adventure next to Mission Space and Test Track. Ellen is another technical marvel with the flow of the attraction, but its definitely outdated next to these modern attractions.
We get it, you think Orlando's tower is old and has ourdated effects. It's also clear many do not agree. The ride continues to be used as the top standard of Disney quality and there has yet to be an attraction as in depth and detailed as Tower of Terror built stateside. The Disneyland tower is a sad knock off and while still fun and themed the outside left something to be desired and nothing about the ride experinces topped or enhanced the original.

righttrack

• They've got a Disney-produced park, Magic Kingdom
  • They've got a Futureworld (How Things Work) Park/World's Fair Park in Epcot
  • They've got a Movies/Hollywood Park in Disney Studios
  • They've got a Natural Themed Park in Animal Kingdom

They bought the largest comic book entity in the world, they need a comic book park. Maybe it's time to think that way. I know they wouldn't be so bold, but if this happened in the 80s or 90s they probably would have opened that fifth gate by now.

RSoxNo1

As good as. Better is going to come down to personal preferences. The early 90's were some of WDI's finest work that they never managed to live up to again for largely the past two decades, outside of Tokyo.

JTTCOTE, Indy and Splash are all semi-recent premium attractions in Tokyo that deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as DHS' ToT. Sindbad I love more than I objectively should.

They finally started building new attractions again that can meet that level of excellence in the last few years... just none of them have yet opened at WDW.

I'd very much disagree. Indiana Jones, 20,000 Leagues, and Journey to the Center of the Earth are incredible attractions. The Tokyo Tower is very impressive too with the effects. I wish the DHS could get an upgrade to such affects and maybe something Disney quality in the 5th Dimension Room. I will say that the DHS Tower is probably one of the best attractions currently at WDW.

This is a matter of personal opinion. Disney Seas is an absolutely incredible park, but for me as a single attraction Tower of Terror is better than any of the unique to Tokyo attractions. Regarding Splash and Indy, I like their stateside counterparts more, even though they're both excellent attractions as well.

This wasn't mean to be a slight against Tokyo but more praise for DHS's Tower.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom