News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Ayla

I'm thinking it would have to be a new land at minimum rather than just another ride replacement. It's hard to counter the advertising for 8-10 new rides and a hotel with "Check out our new Vekoaster!". Where this leads I couldn't say
Would they gamble on a Star Wars 5th gate?

Sir_Cliff

…so you’re hung up on overlays that are gone?
You mean making the overlays permanent? Yes, I think that was a real blight on the parks that destroyed much of the theming and scale as originally intended. The wand stayed over Spaceship Earth for 7 years, the hat at the Studios for 14. Both were intended to remain, hence the changing of "2000" into "Epcot" once that celebration ended.

I'm glad they eventually spent the money to dismantle it all once Eisner was long gone.

And as far as ride replacements go…Pooh is better than alien swirling saucers…and the “cheap” rockinroller coaster is still a more ingeniously created, better experience than some much more ballyhooed, very expensive rides down another streak in that park.

I don’t like the “spinner period” of the early 2000’s…but they are additions that didn’t involve a marketing campaign and a 5 year construction wall.
You cannot expect to run on pirates and small world for the next 50 years…you already got 50.
I'll take Rise of the Resistance over Rock'n'Roller Coaster, but I do understand a lot of people have stronger feelings about Star Wars than I do. As for Pooh vs Alien Swirling Saucers, at least A*S*S didn't replace a classic attraction. That said, I'm not a fan of Toy Story Land in general. Again, my point here is that Eisner really didn't show much signs of that he "got it" during his final years. When DCA bombed, his response was A Bug's Land, for example. Everything was kind of cheap and crappy by the end.

JD80

Star Wars fans are like Disney fans: highly critical and still desperate to make themselves an easy sell.
I happen to know both.

as far as mandalorian goes…that is 100% Dave filoni and favreau going right after the legacy fans. It’s practically the “shadow Lucas” administration. They put 1983 mark hamill and boba fett into that show. I mean…how much more gipper era can you go?

you know what Iger did right there? He puts the LFL “brain trust” on ice and made the new stuff off limits.

and if you’re silly enough to not believe that very thing happened based on the events of the last 3 years…I got a bridge to sell you.

Oh trust me, I know the audience, I was always a big Star Wars fan for the most part and no a lot of the big fans. Agreed on the Favreau and Filoni stuff. Those two were able to actually create a good story that everyone can enjoy as well as respecting the fans. They did an excellent job restoring soooooome faith in the creative inner workings of Lucasfilm.

I mean I think it's obvious the people running the ship were told to take a backseat on all of their "plans", or whatever you want to call them.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You mean making the overlays permanent? Yes, I think that was a real blight on the parks that destroyed much of the theming and scale as originally intended. The wand stayed over Spaceship Earth for 7 years, the hat at the Studios for 14. Both were intended to remain, hence the changing of "2000" into "Epcot" once that celebration ended.

I'm glad they eventually spent the money to dismantle it all once Eisner was long gone.

I'll take Rise of the Resistance over Rock'n'Roller Coaster, but I do understand a lot of people have stronger feelings about Star Wars than I do. As for Pooh vs Alien Swirling Saucers, at least A*S*S didn't replace a classic attraction. That said, I'm not a fan of Toy Story Land in general. Again, my point here is that Eisner really didn't show much signs of that he "got it" during his final years. When DCA bombed, his response was A Bug's Land, for example. Everything was kind of cheap and crappy by the end.
I’ve ridden RNRC dozens of times for 22 years (part of that charm is I went on it when they soft opened it early and just went ahead and let the peasants who had paid $42 to get in ride…no fanfare) and will continue to until my blood pressure or management ends it for me. It delivers without fanfare and that’s the best thing in a park.

ive ridden the other 3 times and there is no reason to do it again. It’s not a physical rush…there’s no variation…the characters are infamously bad now…

they would need fo reprogram it now. Whether it’s the bad history of Star Wars or their mistake in going too heavy on the trackless now…the die is cast.

they’ll not get $2500 a night from me for that…but I’m not their target. Six figure, Gen x that is a 40+ year Star Wars fan with maturing kids that has referred 10+ people into DVC purchases over the years…
…they’re just not that into me 😉

pdude81

That would be gutsy. I'd expect no as that's putting too many eggs into one basket. Now if they wanted to do a "Villains" park they could have a Sith land in it. But I don't know what they'd do for a castle. If they tried to make the dark version of Sleeping Beauty's castle, it'd be 3x the size of the one in Anaheim.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh trust me, I know the audience, I was always a big Star Wars fan for the most part and no a lot of the big fans. Agreed on the Favreau and Filoni stuff. Those two were able to actually create a good story that everyone can enjoy as well as respecting the fans. They did an excellent job restoring soooooome faith in the creative inner workings of Lucasfilm.

I mean I think it's obvious the people running the ship were told to take a backseat on all of their "plans", or whatever you want to call them.
Oh I know…that’s not actually meant for you.

what will likely happen is a couple of posters will take a run at me because I won’t suspend a belief in common sense while looking at what has happened and I dare question Disney and Lucas execs in their mishandling of things.

britain

They did. It's the Galactic Starcruiser. Seriously.

I'm sorry for getting us way off topic regarding the 5th park. I only brought it up to say Chapek could be willing to sign off on huge beautiful park projects but the economics would force his hand. What happens with Films will be a better indicator of whether or not he 'gets' what makes (made) Disney great.

comics101

Honestly, I'd take all of that over putting Mickey's hand, the little stars and scrolling Epcot lettering over Spaceship Earth, the giant metal hat looming at the end of Hollywood Blvd covering the Chinese Theatre, the carpark with warehouses that was Walt Disney Studios Paris at opening, and the lightly-themed outlet mall that was the entrance to DCA, the ugly carnival rides and plain stucco facades of Paradise Pier, etc, etc.

Not defending any of the images above or saying Iger was great for the parks, but I really think people have forgotten how Disney all but abandoned theming by the end of Eisner's term. For someone who "got it", Eisner also seemed quite happy turning 20,000 Leagues into a Winnie the Pooh playground and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride into a Pooh ride, transitioning Centorium into MouseGear alongside the giant Mickey-themed Spaceship Earth exterior, approving an Aladdin spinner for the middle of Adventureland, and allowing Disneyland to literally fall apart as they slashed the maintenance budget.

I don't know, the Guardians of the Galaxy warehouse at EPCOT is beyond unforgivable to me, really. Pretty much the worst thing Disney has ever done to any of the parks. Shoot, I'd even take the Figment-less, joyless Journey Into Your Imagination before that monstrosity looming over the park.

DonaldDoleWhip

Honestly, I'd take all of that over putting Mickey's hand, the little stars and scrolling Epcot lettering over Spaceship Earth, the giant metal hat looming at the end of Hollywood Blvd covering the Chinese Theatre, the carpark with warehouses that was Walt Disney Studios Paris at opening, and the lightly-themed outlet mall that was the entrance to DCA, the ugly carnival rides and plain stucco facades of Paradise Pier, etc, etc.

Not defending any of the images above or saying Iger was great for the parks, but I really think people have forgotten how Disney all but abandoned theming by the end of Eisner's term. For someone who "got it", Eisner also seemed quite happy turning 20,000 Leagues into a Winnie the Pooh playground and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride into a Pooh ride, transitioning Centorium into MouseGear alongside the giant Mickey-themed Spaceship Earth exterior, approving an Aladdin spinner for the middle of Adventureland, and allowing Disneyland to literally fall apart as they slashed the maintenance budget.
Clearly debating who's the 'least bad' could take a while, but this is what makes things pretty unforgivable for solo Eisner.

Hard to get past multiple maintenance-related deaths, even if Animal Kingdom (or its foundation) and the Millenium Celebration were great.

If things ever stoop that low again (here's hoping they don't), Chapek can take his rightful place as worst of the worst.

Nubs70

Star Wars fans are like Disney fans: highly critical and still desperate to make themselves an easy sell.
I happen to know both.

as far as mandalorian goes…that is 100% Dave filoni and favreau going right after the legacy fans. It’s practically the “shadow Lucas” administration. They put 1983 mark hamill and boba fett into that show. I mean…how much more gipper era can you go?

you know what Iger did right there? He puts the LFL “brain trust” on ice and made the new stuff off limits.

and if you’re silly enough to not believe that very thing happened based on the events of the last 3 years…I got a bridge to sell you.
Mando was good because it was an original story. The last 3 star wars were basically an overlay on the original 3

Lilofan

Actually I miss the plain jane MGM Studios Backlot tram tour to include the backstage cast areas , Residential Street, Pearl Harbor Scene and AFI Warehouse, Catastrophe Canyon but now being replaced by some Star Wars stuff. The cast working backstage would smile and wave .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom