News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Castle Cake Apologist

I'd agree with you entirely except that I believe Epic Universe will force something big from Disney. We can thank WWoHP for Pandora (Avatar), and I'm hoping that we can thank Epic Universe for something better. If not then I will investigate whether future technology would allow for a triple facepalm

I wonder if the time will finally be right for a fifth gate. I don't necessarily want one, but they clearly don't have much interest in expanding the capacity of the existing parks.

britain

I'd agree with you entirely except that I believe Epic Universe will force something big from Disney. We can thank WWoHP for Pandora (Avatar), and I'm hoping that we can thank Epic Universe for something better. If not then I will investigate whether future technology would allow for a triple facepalm

But will the 'big' thing it forces Disney to do is build another couple of Cosmic Rewinds?

Kamikaze

My answer to both of you is I always thought Staggs resigned because Iger made it clear he wasn’t resigning anytime soon. Chapek didn’t become CEO until 4 years after Staggs resigned and even then here we are a year and a half later and Chapek is still in Iger’s shadow. I admit I’m not as tuned in on the Iger era as the Eisner one, but that was always my understanding.
Cliff's Notes explanation: Staggs wanted to be promised the job whenever Iger left. Iger wasn't willing to put it in writing in a succession plan, so Staggs left.

ImperfectPixie

But will the 'big' thing it forces Disney to do is build another couple of Cosmic Rewinds?
I really think they've lost sight of what makes the parks so special to begin with. It's not a single, fantastic E-ticket, or even the just the attractions themselves. It's all the pieces of the parks working together - the attractions, the themed spaces, the entertainment (especially the unexpected entertainment), the background music, the smells, the CMs...

Disstevefan1

I am not so sure Disney will respond with something big. Perhaps they will announce something is coming in the future with big beautiful blue sky renderings but what is actually built will take three times longer than it should to build and is just a shell of the original plans..

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I really think they've lost sight of what makes the parks so special to begin with. It's not a single, fantastic E-ticket, or even the just the attractions themselves. It's all the pieces of the parks working together - the attractions, the themed spaces, the entertainment (especially the unexpected entertainment), the background music, the smells, the CMs...
I’m not sure that ride won’t underwhelm anyway…so I’m hesitant to ask for clones 👍🏻

John park hopper

You hit the nail on the head. In years past all the pieces of the puzzle fit together giving a unique WDW experience. when on or more links are weak or absent the chain won't hold together. I think Disney knows this and are just doing bandaid attempts to fix it on the cheap and keep profits high. It's just not working

pdude81

I'm thinking it would have to be a new land at minimum rather than just another ride replacement. It's hard to counter the advertising for 8-10 new rides and a hotel with "Check out our new Vekoaster!". Where this leads I couldn't say

ImperfectPixie

You hit the nail on the head. In years past all the pieces of the puzzle fit together giving a unique WDW experience. when on or more links are weak or absent the chain won't hold together. I think Disney knows this and are just doing bandaid attempts to fix it on the cheap and keep profits high. It's just not working
I also think current management from the CEO all the way down to parks-level are literally getting in the way of the parks functioning like they should.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm thinking it would have to be a new land at minimum rather than just another ride replacement. It's hard to counter the advertising for 8-10 new rides and a hotel with "Check out our new Vekoaster!". Where this leads I couldn't say
Well they would need to go “backwards” and start building lands with more appeal. That’s the first step.

they are currently trying to sell $5000 nights into a hotel for access into a thin on entertainment land that ambiguously uses the wrong characters.

“miscalculation” is the term.

britain

Yes, this is correct. But that is something that competition from Epic Universe won't shine a spotlight on.

Honestly, Uni's successes have sort of been part of the problem. They've just driven Disney to be more like them with "IP land, anchored by 1 big E, lots of shops with pricy IP merchandise and specialty themed food."

I'm glad Harry Potter gave them a kick in the pants, but it wasn't a defibrillator to the heart. It just made them seek after IP "coolness" and dollar extraction even more.

So even if Epic Universe is a big success and a bigger theme park arms race begins anew, is that something we really want? I don't know what it will take to get Disney to do things like open the railroad, or build another beautiful country pavilion at Epcot without a hint of IP plush, but an Epic success isn't it.

Lilofan

Disney reminds me of the US auto industry -- at one time the US auto industry had the market locked up and they became complacent quality, cost, service declined. There were a lot loyal US car buyers but that has changed when along came the Japanese and their goal was quality, service, cost and the US auto industry took a big hit. At this point I don't think Universal will over take Disney there are still to many loyal Disney fans but if Disney continues down their current road Universal will gain a lot of disgruntled Disney fans. Bob you better wake up it's not all about stockholder dividends. just my 2 cents
Favor it or not , one of the primary responsibilities of a CEO ( and his lifeline to be employed ) is to create and maximize shareholder value. The lucrative compensation package and work contract of Iger for example set up by the Disney Board is also tied into the success ( or not ) of this aspect. Iger wheeled and dealed to acquire several companies over the years and was compensated for his accomplishments. Shareholders can revolt against a CEO pay package but as long as they are making money, all impacted are happy. Nothing pretty about it, but it is reality.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Favor it or not , one of the primary responsibilities of a CEO is to create and maximize shareholder value. The lucrative compensation package and work contract of Iger for example set up by the Disney Board is also tied into the success ( or not ) of this aspect. Iger wheeled and dealed to acquire several companies over the years and was compensated for his accomplishments. Shareholders can revolt against a CEO pay package but as long as they are making money, all impacted are happy. Nothing pretty about it, but it is reality.
…I can’t wait until I have Econ 001 next semester so I can learn all this stuff. 🤓

EPCOTCenterLover

On the contrary, I think the Parks are the most susceptible to pandemic-related economic factors. He could be totally on board with building a 5th park chock full of E-tickets, but the economy might not let him.

Eisner "got it" - until the financial drain of Euro Disney made him lose his appetite over anything ambitious.
Good point here. Money has always affected design. It's a necessary part of the process. Still, Chapek could show he knows great show equals long term financial success project by project.

Sir_Cliff

On this, I think you are overestimating Eisner's influence here. Disney wasn't doing great in the late 90s, but it was far from doing poorly. Most of the fervor driving those takeover attempts was being generated from the dot-com boom of the late 90s, the explosion of cable TV and the desire to start consolidating content distribution to content creation. When Eisner rejected the calls from Steve Case, AOL just went along and bought Time-Warner. After Comcast gave up on Disney, they went and bought Universal.

It wasn't really Eisner's fault that content creation was seen as the lesser of the two sides at the time (and maybe to some degree still is).
Thankfully Eisner had an answer to the Internet age: Go.com.

I think this also speaks to a problem that late Eisner had which was an inability to adjust to changing times. Again, there are plenty of issues with Iger for fans of the parks, but compare how quickly and successfully Disney entered the streaming age compared to how Eisner fumbled the advent of the Internet and even DVDs. Iger was at least in touch with what was going on in the wider world or willing to listen to others who were.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
On the contrary, I think the Parks are the most susceptible to pandemic-related economic factors. He could be totally on board with building a 5th park chock full of E-tickets, but the economy might not let him.

Eisner "got it" - until the financial drain of Euro Disney made him lose his appetite over anything ambitious.
Those conditions have changed greatly since euro was built. It’s a different data/media/entertainment world now.

the opening of dak caused them to find the “limit” of consumption for wdw…and it’s an average of just under 7 days…there’s nothing to do to force American companies, schools, social patterns to “accept” time off in greater than 7 days chunks.

the reality is there is no justifiable financial reason to build a 5th park in Orlando.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Those conditions have changed greatly since euro was built. It’s a different data/media/entertainment world now.

the opening of dak caused them to find the “limit” of consumption for wdw…and it’s an average of just under 7 days…there’s nothing to do to force American companies, schools, social patterns to “accept” time off in greater than 7 days chunks.

the reality is there is no justifiable financial reason to build a 5th park in Orlando.
That pattern is starting to change, at least in my experience. As companies (at least in the tech industry) are starting to more and more provide flexible time off as a benefit, I've noticed people regularly taking longer vacations - 2 weeks is not uncommon anymore. I've known several people in the last year who spent two weeks in the greater Orlando area: a week at Disney, a few days at Universal, and the rest of the week doing other things like Sea World, KSC, Busch Gardens, Legoland, or just beaches.

So while the general trend still maxes at 7 days, there are signs that this particular Americanism may be starting to change, at least for certain segments of the population.

comics101

Yeah once Epic Universe opens, maybe it will force Disney to fix the mess they're turning EPCOT into...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom