News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That pattern is starting to change, at least in my experience. As companies (at least in the tech industry) are starting to more and more provide flexible time off as a benefit, I've noticed people regularly taking longer vacations - 2 weeks is not uncommon anymore. I've known several people in the last year who spent two weeks in the greater Orlando area: a week at Disney, a few days at Universal, and the rest of the week doing other things like Sea World, KSC, Busch Gardens, Legoland, or just beaches.

So while the general trend still maxes at 7 days, there are signs that this particular Americanism may be starting to change, at least for certain segments of the population.
As of now…that “evidence” is very anecdotal…as I think you know.

I hope that’s the way it’s going…but Disney parks are fed by the US clientele and travel is still overwhelming sold in one week increments.

and wdw will not become an “exclusive” enclave of the economic elite…so let’s go ahead and strangle that baby on this thread.

comics101

The most interesting aspect of this article for me is that Iger chose to provide comments. That suggests to me that he is supportive of the narrative Chapek is screwing things up.

We shall see if it's true or not, but there does seem little indication Chapek is creatively inclined. Must say that I also don't like the way he talks about Disney park fans or how the company responded to the Scarlett Johannessen lawsuit by accusing her of being insensitive to those who suffered due to COVID. His claim that the pandemic allowed them to throw off old taboos in the running of the parks and then the price rises and slashing of benefits also feeds into the narrative of him being a person driven by metrics and a little insensitive to the experience of guests.

You want Eisner back? Ok, back to the future of Disney theme parks then...

View attachment 591586

goldengate_christmas2003ah.jpg

icontower_entrance2002cb.jpg

Because this:

This:
1633630600223.png

1633630618007.png

And this:

1633630694718.png

1633630756615.png

Is just so, so much better, right?? :rolleyes:

mikejs78

Premium Member
As of now…that “evidence” is very anecdotal…as I think you know.

I hope that’s the way it’s going…but Disney parks are fed by the US clientele and travel is still overwhelming sold in one week increments.

and wdw will not become an “exclusive” enclave of the economic elite…so let’s go ahead and strangle that baby on this thread.
Oh, completely agree it's all early and anecdotal. But I'm seeing it more and more and I think it's the beginning of a trend.

And that is about the only thing I could see as a catalyst for a 5th gate - if U.S. vacations started to get longer and Disney wanted a greater share of that pie.

CaptainAmerica

And that is about the only thing I could see as a catalyst for a 5th gate - if U.S. vacations started to get longer and Disney wanted a greater share of that pie.
It wouldn't matter. As @Sirwalterraleigh said, a family who is going to book a 6 night vacation is going to book a 6 night vacation, whether there's 4 parks of stuff to do at WDW or 5 parks of stuff to do at WDW. A new gate isn't going to extend their vacation to 9 nights.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It wouldn't matter. As @Sirwalterraleigh, a family who is going to book a 6 night vacation is going to book a 6 night vacation, whether there's 4 parks of stuff to do at WDW or 5 parks of stuff to do at WDW. A new gate isn't going to extend their vacation to 9 nights.
That is exactly what the data - and yes, I saw it at the time (insider alert!) - showed.

so what good do gates do? You hire more people and cannibalize what you already had…So then you raise the prices to compensate for the higher overhead and less attendance at each…then you have to raise the prices again as you price some people out with the previous increase and lose that revenue…and all your customers watch in disgust.

its a wheel you can’t break…and one I’m fairly sure this guy has no ability to spin.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh, completely agree it's all early and anecdotal. But I'm seeing it more and more and I think it's the beginning of a trend.

I would hope…

…but you know the United States chamber of commerce and the New York stock exchange won’t allow it…

it’s our labor history as a country

CaptainAmerica

That is exactly what the data - and yes, I saw it at the time (insider alert!) - showed.

so what good do gates do? You hire more people and cannibalize what you already had…So then you raise the prices to compensate for the higher overhead and less attendance at each…then you have to raise the prices again as you price some people out with the previous increase and lose that revenue…and all your customers watch in disgust.

its a wheel you can’t break…and one I’m fairly sure this guy has no ability to spin.
The best case scenario (not in terms of getting new stuff but in terms of price stabilization) might be if they stop caring about the parks all together. Get the Street comfortable with modest growth in the Parks business and just use it as a cash engine to fund D+ content.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The best case scenario (not in terms of getting new stuff but in terms of price stabilization) might be if they stop caring about the parks all together. Get the Street comfortable with modest growth in the Parks business and just use it as a cash engine to fund D+ content.
The best case scenario for the Walt Disney company is it be taken private…

that is the only way to prioritize quality and still make gobs of smackers

..:i’m working on it…but I’m still $385,000,000,000 short of what I need for controlling interest

Sir_Cliff

Because this:

This:
View attachment 591801

View attachment 591802

And this:

View attachment 591804

View attachment 591805

Is just so, so much better, right?? :rolleyes:

Honestly, I'd take all of that over putting Mickey's hand, the little stars and scrolling Epcot lettering over Spaceship Earth, the giant metal hat looming at the end of Hollywood Blvd covering the Chinese Theatre, the carpark with warehouses that was Walt Disney Studios Paris at opening, and the lightly-themed outlet mall that was the entrance to DCA, the ugly carnival rides and plain stucco facades of Paradise Pier, etc, etc.

Not defending any of the images above or saying Iger was great for the parks, but I really think people have forgotten how Disney all but abandoned theming by the end of Eisner's term. For someone who "got it", Eisner also seemed quite happy turning 20,000 Leagues into a Winnie the Pooh playground and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride into a Pooh ride, transitioning Centorium into MouseGear alongside the giant Mickey-themed Spaceship Earth exterior, approving an Aladdin spinner for the middle of Adventureland, and allowing Disneyland to literally fall apart as they slashed the maintenance budget.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Honestly, I'd take all of that over putting Mickey's hand, the little stars and scrolling Epcot lettering over Spaceship Earth, the giant metal hat looming at the end of Hollywood Blvd covering the Chinese Theatre, the carpark with warehouses that was Walt Disney Studios Paris at opening, and the lightly-themed outlet mall that was the entrance to DCA, the ugly carnival rides and plain stucco facades of Paradise Pier, etc, etc.

Not defending any of the images above or saying Iger was great for the parks, but I really think people have forgotten how Disney all but abandoned theming by the end of Eisner's term. For someone who "got it", Eisner also seemed quite happy turning 20,000 Leagues into a Winnie the Pooh playground and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride into a Pooh ride, transitioning Centorium into MouseGear alongside the giant Mickey-themed Spaceship Earth exterior, approving an Aladdin spinner for the middle of Adventureland, and allowing Disneyland to literally fall apart as they slashed the maintenance budget.
…so you’re hung up on overlays that are gone?

And as far as ride replacements go…Pooh is better than alien swirling saucers…and the “cheap” rockinroller coaster is still a more ingeniously created, better experience than some much more ballyhooed, very expensive rides down another street in that park.

I don’t like the “spinner period” of the early 2000’s…but they are additions that didn’t involve a marketing campaign and a 5 year construction wall.
You cannot expect to run on pirates and small world for the next 50 years…you already got 50.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm still amazed by how much the screwed up Star Wars, but equally surprised by their success of clawing back some goodwill from the fanbase with Mandalorian.

The Star Wars brand is so completely tangled right now. I'm really curious where it goes over the next 5 years.
Star Wars fans are like Disney fans: highly critical and still desperate to make themselves an easy sell.
I happen to know both.

as far as mandalorian goes…that is 100% Dave filoni and favreau going right after the legacy fans. It’s practically the “shadow Lucas” administration. They put 1983 mark hamill and boba fett into that show. I mean…how much more gipper era can you go?

you know what Iger did right there? He puts the LFL “brain trust” on ice and made the new stuff off limits.

and if you’re silly enough to not believe that very thing happened based on the events of the last 3 years…I got a bridge to sell you.

Ayla

I am not so sure Disney will respond with something big. Perhaps they will announce something is coming in the future with big beautiful blue sky renderings but what is actually built will take three times longer than it should to build and is just a shell of the original plans..
Slightly off topic, but your "beautiful blue sky" phrase reminded me of something. I was pointing out to my DS the Guardians building from World Showcase and his response was "oh, I see they've painted it blend-in-blue". :rolleyes: 😂

Maybe you had to be there, but it was pretty darn funny.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom