News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Sir_Cliff

Bob kept that crap up for a few years too, Cliff…so how do you give him a pass on that?
I am not giving him a pass for anything, but I think his response to DCA's lack of success was far preferable to Eisner's. Whatever the shortcomings of DCA 2.0, it was at the very least an acknowledgement that it's worth investing in theming. Iger was also far more clear-eyed about Disney having completely lost its way in animation.

Contrast that with...

CL Derby.jpeg

tfMSAXvznLEIW7iKhjsQ0eW2oZFi-0DeWNc-_QyHa3led0eltBu41dzWbKlyPaOTckJ77NGGWiab_olCkiGL-Ah6YmUCsmU

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am not giving him a pass for anything, but I think his response to DCA's lack of success was far preferable to Eisner's. Whatever the shortcomings of DCA 2.0, it was at the very least an acknowledgement that it's worth investing in theming. Iger was also far more clear-eyed about Disney having completely lost its way in animation.

Contrast that with...

View attachment 591833

tfMSAXvznLEIW7iKhjsQ0eW2oZFi-0DeWNc-_QyHa3led0eltBu41dzWbKlyPaOTckJ77NGGWiab_olCkiGL-Ah6YmUCsmU
I like what they did with carsland…what I didn’t really like is that they never did much beyond that. Overlays of the pier and a marvel land that is on track to underdeliver Again.

Last edited:

Sir_Cliff

I like what they did with carsland…what I didn’t really like is that they never did much beyond that. Overlays if the pier and a marvel land that is on track to underdeliver Again.
They did also rebuild the entire entrance from what looked like a fairly tacky outlet mall to Buena Vista Street and, IMO, spent the money to make some worthwhile enhancements to Hollywood, Condor Flats, and Paradise Pier.

Of course, the recent developments have not been so positive, starting with Pixar Pier.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They did also rebuild the entire entrance from what looked like a fairly tacky outlet mall to Buena Vista Street and, IMO, spent the money to make some worthwhile enhancements to Hollywood, Condor Flats, and Paradise Pier.

Of course, the recent developments have not been so positive, starting with Pixar Pier.
Fair…

I like DCA…to be clear. It’s not a well invested in park like Epcot or magic kingdom or Disneyland…but it’s a better ancillary park than studios and close to dak

Vegas Disney Fan

I like what they did with carsland…what I didn’t really like is that they never did much beyond that. Overlays if the pier and a marvel land that is on track to underdeliver Again.

CEO of a massive company like Disney may just be a position that requires new blood every few years to stay creatively fresh, it may also be a job that’s too big for one person.

Eisner started strong but lost his nerve to spend money as time went on, Iger never lost his nerve to spend massive amounts of money but because his whole focus was one multi billion dollar project after another there wasn’t much money being spread around elsewhere during those projects. I think that lead to cheap projects to do something “new” between the massive projects.

DCA cost billions and touched the whole park, the entrance, Buena vista st, Carthay, little mermaid, swings, WOC, carsland, etc, not much was left untouched and they spared no expense… unfortunately after that boom the focus and the money shifted to MK and DCA has seen a decade of very little change or investment. Then MK had a massive investment in New Fantasyland, with not much investment since because the focus went to AK, which saw a massive investment in Pandora, which hasn’t been followed by much because the focus shifted to HS and galaxy’s edge, then the focus went to Shanghai, now it’s Paris and Epcot.

Massive investments have been never ending under Iger but because so much is being spent in one area at once it means little investment elsewhere.

mikejs78

Premium Member
So what's the sugar coated version?
Basically - he was a new CEO and some of the larger investors urged him to explore selling the theme parks. He investigated it, talked to a few people, and then it never went anywhere.

Eisner also explored selling it early in his tenure. He also explored shuttering Disney animation. CEOs, especially new CEOs, explore a lot of options,.especially when a company is in trouble like it was when both Eisner and Iger took over.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
CEO of a massive company like Disney may just be a position that requires new blood every few years to stay creatively fresh, it may also be a job that’s too big for one person.

Eisner started strong but lost his nerve to spend money as time went on, Iger never lost his nerve to spend massive amounts of money but because his whole focus was one multi billion dollar project after another there wasn’t much money being spread around elsewhere during those projects. I think that lead to cheap projects to do something “new” between the massive projects.

DCA cost billions and touched the whole park, the entrance, Buena vista st, Carthay, little mermaid, swings, WOC, carsland, etc, not much was left untouched and they spared no expense… unfortunately after that boom the focus and the money shifted to MK and DCA has seen a decade of very little change or investment. Then MK had a massive investment in New Fantasyland, with not much investment since because the focus went to AK, which saw a massive investment in Pandora, which hasn’t been followed by much because the focus shifted to HS and galaxy’s edge, then the focus went to Shanghai, now it’s Paris and Epcot.

Massive investments have been never ending under Iger but because so much is being spent in one area at once it means little investment elsewhere.
I think conglomerate heads might be too “big time” for theme park operations.

indeed…Disney did a better job of running parks when they were less big money/small time.

for the last 20 years…they seem almost “annoyed” that they are being asked “what’s next?” In the parks by both investors and fans…

…but that’s the deal. You don’t get periods of no expectation when you run places specifically to generate amusement or carefree glutinous behavior.

the well has to be constantly refreshed…as the Disney’s were better at because they had to invest a large chunk of their available cash in them.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Basically - he was a new CEO and some of the larger investors urged him to explore selling the theme parks. He investigated it, talked to a few people, and then it never went anywhere.

Eisner also explored selling it early in his tenure. He also explored shuttering Disney animation. CEOs, especially new CEOs, explore a lot of options,.especially when a company is in trouble like it was when both Eisner and Iger took over.
Disney was in no way in trouble when Iger took over..

investors were complaining about share price. That was never the same thing. They were a Dow 30 company that was completely solvent…even with recent public mistakes.

Lilofan

So who exactly is this Peter Rice guy? Chapek's soon to be #2?
Not surprising. When Chapek announced a massive re-org of the Disney company last year and putting Disney+ front and center, Rice who is Chairman of Disney Entertainment was also involved in the re-org that impacted his division.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
One of the reasons why they didn’t sell under Iger was that the quality and capex terms were considered too onerous, given the price they were asking just to buy the business.
Truth be told…if you’re not thrilled/challenged to build new things that innovate or surprise people when they first see them…you hate running parks.

I think a certain company has hated running parks for years and should do more cameron type partnerships as a way of tolerating them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom