Changes to table service dining cancellation policy - credit card requirement expands

lebeau

The more I think about this, the more cynical I am about the true motivations. Realistically, people who abused the system before will still abuse it. It's just a little more work to cancel ressies at a few restaurants that require cc holds. Not much of a disincentive at all, really.

The people who are going to be impacted by this are the ones who booked a meal in good faith and legitimately have to cancel for some reason.

The more I think about it, the more this feels like a magical cash grab.

lebeau

I think all this talk of Disney creating this situation is a bit off. To start, Disney will make policies to try and keep the restaurants fully booked all day long, or come as close to that as they can. This new policy is not to make reservations easier to get (tho it will do that), it's to make the reservation mean something again; a commitment that yes, I will be eating at your establishment at this time. Sadly, I guess too many people abused it and now a credit card replaces your word.

You make it sound like Disney is protecting itself against empty tables. But realistically, how often do these establishments have empty tables? Not only is it difficult to get a ressie, at most of these places you have little to no hope of getting a walk-up. That tells me the tables are usually full in spite of no-shows.

Yoda said Disney must be doing this because the problem is worse than we thought. But another motivation would be that Disney realized they were leaving money on the table. (No pun intended.) Now they can full all the tables and still make money without serving a meal.

They can exceed their capacity by filling the joint and charging for no-shows.

WDW1974

Exactly what I was about to say. Disney created the situation with the dining plans (and the lure of "free" dining for many months of the year), the 180 day booking window, and the overall culture of a WDW vacation where everything must be planned, scheduled and paid for months before the vacation even starts. It is a "necessary" evil only because Disney designed it that way in the first place. It doesn't have to be that way.

And there is absolutely nothing necessary (or customer friendly) about penalizing families whose plans may legitimately change at the last minute and charging them a fee even if they do make an effort to cancel.

Agree 100%.

This is the direction Disney has been headed since Destination Disney began ... NEXTGEN is just the next step.

And while I don't agree with people making multiple reservations, Disney absolutely caused the current situation.

Human nature is just that. The more Disney raises prices, nickels and dimes guests, etc ... the more people feel like its OK to do likewise to the company. Not arguing morality at all ... just saying the more people feel like they're being taken aadvantage of, the more they're likely to engage in bad behavior of their own.

lebeau

I guess i'm in the minority here, because I don't think $10 is steep at all. Failure to show up for a dining reservation should be result in a fee, and $10 per person is not bad at all, especially since an entree is $30+ per person.

All I can tell you is I'm still smarting over that $40 18 months later. $40 must not mean as much to you as it does to me. :shrug:

I can't think of any restaurant I have ever been to where cancelling a reservation hours in advance results in a fee. Again... :shrug:

WDW1974

The more I think about this, the more cynical I am about the true motivations. Realistically, people who abused the system before will still abuse it. It's just a little more work to cancel ressies at a few restaurants that require cc holds. Not much of a disincentive at all, really.

The people who are going to be impacted by this are the ones who booked a meal in good faith and legitimately have to cancel for some reason.

The more I think about it, the more this feels like a magical cash grab.

It feels like it because it is.

Maybe more people will wake up and realize that they don't have to give Disney all of their food and beverage $$$, even if they don't have an auto or don't want to leave property.

There are dozens of options that Mickey and TDO do not control. They get my business regularly. And I never feel taken.

~GFC~

WDW1974

All I can tell you is I'm still smarting over that $40 18 months later. $40 must not mean as much to you as it does to me. :shrug:

I can't think of any restaurant I have ever been to where cancelling a reservation hours in advance results in a fee. Again... :shrug:

I have dined at fine locales all over North America, Europe, Asia, the Caribbean etc ... and I have NEVER had that happen.

I guess Disney is just special.

~GFC~

Disaddict

I might be way off here but maybe they aren't trying to rip people off (good God here comes the Disney bashing again) but maybe they are trying to discourage ADRs? If you are looking at the possibility of losing money are you still going to be as ready to book an ADR?

COProgressFan

It's not just you, I'd still be p*ssed about it too.

wdw71fan

It feels like it because it is.

Maybe more people will wake up and realize that they don't have to give Disney all of their food and beverage $$$, even if they don't have an auto or don't want to leave property.

There are dozens of options that Mickey and TDO do not control. They get my business regularly. And I never feel taken.

~GFC~

no it isn't.. it's a deterant.. plain and simple..

sorry, but if you don't like it (not meaning you 74, just a general 'you'), but it's going to fix a problem that has long existed, WAYYYYYYYYYY before DDP

JWG

I might be way off here but maybe they aren't trying to rip people off (good God here comes the Disney bashing again) but maybe they are trying to discourage ADRs? If you are looking at the possibility of losing money are you still going to be as ready to book an ADR?

Yes, because I'm smart enought to know I need to cancel 24 hours out. I'll put it on my calendar so my phone reminds me 30 hours out and cancel if necessary.

This doesn't deter me from making reservations at all. The better move was not allowing double, triple, quad-druple bookings a few months back. I'm curious what impact that has had on reservations. I don't think we'll know until those of us who could make multiple reservations before that date are cycled through the system.

WDW1974

no it isn't.. it's a deterant.. plain and simple..

sorry, but if you don't like it (not meaning you 74, just a general 'you'), but it's going to fix a problem that has long existed, WAYYYYYYYYYY before DDP

No, it isn't ... because as someone pointed out above, the folks who are making mutiple ressies to cover themselves still will do so because they'll be savvy enough to cancel 24 hours prior. So, the same locations will still have the same issues. This might go 2% toward making things better ... while hurting some folks who just have to cancel at last minute.

And you're wrong, I've been visiting since 1974 (shocking anyone was alive back then, I know) and the issues with dining reservations has largely been post 2005-DDP. Yes, there were some tough places to get into prior ... but nothing like it has been since Disney has cruise lined dining with the DDP.

The whole concept of walk-ups has gone away. So locals are totally screwed. That IS a DDP result.

~GFC~

NewfieFan

I understand emergencies happen and plans change but this is going to be your gamble if you want to book a meal 6 months in advance. I'm sure 99% of all the reasons you would need to cancel an ADR could be decided 24 hours in advance.

I'm sure Disney will also give some slack for sincere emergencies(although I'm not sure if this is even a good idea). Just like all their other policies, if there is a way to distort there will be people who take advantage.

I'd have to argue this a little... except for the times that other people have joined our vacation at the last minute and/or there's been changes to the Disney calendar I've kept my ADRs as is. When I make my ADRs I have full intentions of keeping them even at 180 day mark. The few times I've canceled or made changes to my ADRs have been after the 24hr mark. Kids getting sick, hubby getting sick, rain that just wouldn't stop and everybody is miserable, etc. Most of the reasons that I would cancel an ADR for happen usually after the 24hr mark has passed.

Yeah, $10/head is stiff!

With little kids, there is a good chance you're going to have to make some schedule adjustments on the fly at least once during your vacation. After my personal experience, I don't want to have to rely on Disney's willingness to make an exception if I have a legit reason for canceling.

I feel like I need an insurance policy to book a lot of these meals during one trip.

Even though, I was fine with this when I first read it... I do share some of your concerns. We usually travel to WDW anywhere from 8 days up to 2 weeks. So much can happen during a vacation... we get sick on every vacation (whether it's a bug we pick up, changes to our body's schedule, heat exhaustion, etc. - something always happens to at least one member of the family). Plans change and they usually change at the last minute. It's bad enough that a member of the family might be feeling sick but to have to pay $40 on top of that.... yeah, that would rot my socks!

I guess i'm in the minority here, because I don't think $10 is steep at all. Failure to show up for a dining reservation should be result in a fee, and $10 per person is not bad at all, especially since an entree is $30+ per person.

$10 is a little steep when you have to multiple it! And you still have to eat that meal somewhere (even if it's just grabbing some counter service instead).

I have no idea how Disney can make this fair!?!:shrug: I'm happy that they're trying to stop the abuse but at the same time I'm worried what would happen to myself if I had to cancel last minute. I have a feeling Disney may have some unhappy guests on their hands if they really enforce this no matter what!

janoimagine

The whole concept of walk-ups has gone away. So locals are totally screwed. That IS a DDP result.

~GFC~

The only thing I can think of that was difficult to get into prior to the DDP was the dinner shows ... Hoop De Doo, Luau and Broadway at the Top ... the DDP has ruined all spontaneity ... I don't like making reservations 180 days out ... I hate it, but you have no choice under the DDP. I would love not to have to plan my day at the parks around where we are eating that day.

And Le Cellar signature??? Really, we ate there for the first time on our last trip, dirty floors, ________ poor service and a 42 dollar filet ... its not even wagyu beef for that price??? Thats signature??? Get a clue Disney. At least I still have Artist Point.

wvdisneyfamily

My only concern is legitimate cancellations within 24 hours. DH and I were terribly sick in July. We had to cancel inside 24 hours because we were within 24 hours when we got sick.

I'm not surprised by this. I wondered when it would happen.

WDW1974

The only thing I can think of that was difficult to get into prior to the DDP was the dinner shows ... Hoop De Doo, Luau and Broadway at the Top ... the DDP has ruined all spontaneity ... I don't like making reservations 180 days out ... I hate it, but you have no choice under the DDP. I would love not to have to plan my day at the parks around where we are eating that day.

Going back to the 70s and 80s, the ONLY things you had to plan in advance for were dinner shows. You made ressies for King Stefan's, LTT and Diamond Horeshoe the day you were there. When EC opened it changed just a bit, but for the most part, you used WorldKey and made ressies on day of (APers were allowed to call 24 hours ahead and soon 48 hours out ... that was it. REALLY!)

Only in the 90s did it become a big deal to make ressies, but there were also far more options across WDW anyway. I think the first time I had an issue with a ressie was in the late 90s for the renamed Cindy's Castle for dinner and California Grill.

And Le Cellar signature??? Really, we ate there for the first time on our last trip, dirty floors, ________ poor service and a 42 dollar filet ... its not even wagyu beef for that price??? Thats signature??? Get a clue Disney. At least I still have Artist Point.

That's place I used to eat 3-4 times a year. I haven't been back since 2008 and have no plans to do so.

I'd rather go to Shula's if I want a high end steak ... or even Outback at the Buena Vista Palace (no, NOT the chain place for those of you fans who pretend the Hotel Plaza locations don't exist because they don't coat you in Pixie Dust when you enter!)

$42 for a filet at a theme park restaurant is absurd ... $16 will buy you one at Mythos at IOA ... but they also fail to include Pixie Dust!

~GFC~

HouCuseChickie

Legit reasons to cancel would also be my prime concern. Several people have mentioned getting sick. I know it could be a convenient excuse for someone who is just trying to beat the system, but I think for us honest folks- we've probably all had at least one vacay gone crazy b/c of illness. i.e. the kind where I could have a MK view room at the CR or Poly and there's still no way I'm dragging my bottom to the window to see Wishes.

My other concern is Disney transportation failing me. Case in point- we had an 'Ohana adr last December. We left MK in plenty of time to get to the Poly by monorail, but due to massive monorail breakdown issues, we never made it. We had no idea just how bad it was until we were stuck on the upper portion of the ramp with our tandem stroller - hundreds in front of us and thousands behind us. We waited and waited and waited- and then waited a whole lot more, but at some point we just gave up. I even tried calling (which wouldn't make a difference if there's a 24 hr cxl window), but I wasn't getting reception up on the monorail platform. It took over 15 min just to get down the ramp. I guess boat launch could have been an option, but they kept telling us we'd all make it on the next monorail and with the time it took to get back to that area- it was a lost cause. I guess I'd just really hate to be charged $40 for missing my adr when I tried to get there, but missed it b/c of their transportation snafus. I know- not their problem. I guess we could have tried to take a taxi, but I don't feel like I should have to pay for transportation when I've allowed 70+ minutes to make it from MK to the Poly.

I also think that many of these people will still hog all of the adrs and just have Disney Dining on speed dial to cxl 24 hrs in advance...i.e. there will still be booking problems. So, in theory this is great, but I don't think the plan is designed to really help the problem.

Condorman

~GFC~

So? What do I or the other 40+ million visitors from out-of-town care whether the locals get screwed? I'm going out of my way to visit WDW, maybe take the ME to property and not leave for the duration of my stay. If you're a local, you have the option of Orlando-proper to choose from when it comes to your F&B choices. You're in the minority if you think it matters to the rest of us, and clearly it doesn't matter to TDO.

And for the last time, will people please acknowledge the fact that WDW is the #1 tourist destination in the world? That times change? That we no longer live in 1974? There are only 70+ TS spots at WDW which sees an average daily attendance of 100k+. Why in God's name would you think you could just "walk up" to your favorite (and others' most popular) TS spot and get a table for your party size at the very time it suits you. Get over yourself. Get with the times or settle for #2 in USO and IoA. They'd be happy to serve you cold waffle fries.

Condorman

Legit reasons to cancel would also be my prime concern.

There are no legitimate reasons to cancel with the exception of A) a 9/11 national catastrophe, or B) a hurricane of Katrina-like proportions.

It doesn't matter if you're flying in from Boston Logan and there's a blizzard. It may not be your fault but it sure as heck isn't Disney's.

It doesn't matter if you're on a Disney Transportation bus or monorail and it breaks down. You had plenty of time prior to get to the restaurant; you can also call the restaurant and tell them the situation and they'll verify it on-property.

People love to come up with a thousand doomsday scenarios (which says more negative things about them than any new policy). All you have to do is remember this: ADRs are suggested but they are not mandatory. You do not have to make them. You can always try to walk-up or use CS instead. However, if you choose to make an ADR, stick to it or follow the guidelines of the policy. I hope the selfish, stupid, doomsday naysayers out there get burned. However, I will agree with a PP who said those who 2x & 3x book are doing so with TS spots not on that list. Disney needs to enforce this policy on ALL restaurants.

RSoxNo1

I'm still confused to see 'Ohana listed as a signature restaurant. I can't find any documentation that says it is. I've concluded that the only people keeping the dining plan in business are the travel agents (both those independent from Disney, and those that work at Disney).

They presumably get money on the package if they add in the dining plan whereas without it they're not getting any of the proceeds.

Consider my ideal usage of the basic dining plan ($45.99 a day)

Aloha Isle Snack Dole whip Float $4.19
Pecos Bill Quick Service Chicken Wrap: $8.79
Pecos Bill Dessert Chocolate cake or Carrot Cake (neither really interests me): $3.59
Dinner at 'Ohana: $32.99

This is a total of $49.56, and in all honesty I wouldn't get the Dessert and I'd probably get the regular Dole Whip. The good thing I have seen is that Food and Wine Items up to $7.25 have been labeled as snack items.

Eliminating the Dining plan is the solution to this problem, not tacking on a fee for cancelled reservations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom