Changes to Peter Pan's Flight at Magic Kingdom

Dear Prudence

Instead the hacks of modern Disney chose to put their stamp on it disregarding the work of people, like Ward Kimball, which they should be studying and not scribbling over.
Ward Kimball went on record saying he deeply regretted the work he did on Peter Pan. Unlike Marc Davis, he said that they knew it was harmful at the time, and they didn't care.

voodoo321

Ward Kimball went on record saying he deeply regretted the work he did on Peter Pan. Unlike Marc Davis, he said that they knew it was harmful at the time, and they didn't care.
He regretted the art style of the film? That's what I'm talking about that is incongruent about this scene.

Even that article uses very carefully shot photos as other examples of what modern Indian look like. The photos you look down on weren't fabricated. They weren't given new clothes, or told to do anything different than they normally would. Was it 100% accurate? I doubt it, but then again, nothing ever is. They're certainly better than the alternative, which is to have no photos of them at all... People will learn to appreciate something they can see far more than if they cannot. Doesn't hurt the argument made behind them (wanting to preserve groups of people with dwindling numbers and traditional ways of doing things, for future generations who likely wouldn't be so lucky), if the photographer was white, Indian, or any other race or demographic. Most people don't complain historians are mostly old white dudes...

The rock at Plymouth sucks though. At least according to people who went there. I grew up in MA and somehow never went on a trip there.
By no means was I meaning to look down on those photos shared. I just wanted to provide some interesting context on how Natives are often portrayed through imagery.

Small plug to enjoy the great indigenous artists out there!

mf1972

IMG_5184.gif

so where’d the original indians figures go?

CraftyFox

Even that article uses very carefully shot photos as other examples of what modern Indian look like. The photos you look down on weren't fabricated. They weren't given new clothes, or told to do anything different than they normally would. Was it 100% accurate? I doubt it, but then again, nothing ever is. They're certainly better than the alternative, which is to have no photos of them at all... People will learn to appreciate something they can see far more than if they cannot. Doesn't hurt the argument made behind them (wanting to preserve groups of people with dwindling numbers and traditional ways of doing things, for future generations who likely wouldn't be so lucky), if the photographer was white, Indian, or any other race or demographic. Most people don't complain historians are mostly old white dudes...

The rock at Plymouth sucks though. At least according to people who went there. I grew up in MA and somehow never went on a trip there.
I think it is critical to note that they actually *were* given new clothes to further romanticize and exoticize the photos! I would need to do a little digging online to find images, but there was an entire exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum some time ago deconstructing all the costume pieces photographers gave to native subjects. They absolutely do not represent the lived realities of indigenous people.

Dear Prudence

I think it is critical to note that they actually *were* given new clothes to further romanticize and exoticize the photos! I would need to do a little digging online to find images, but there was an entire exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum some time ago deconstructing all the costume pieces photographers gave to native subjects. They absolutely do not represent the lived realities of indigenous people.
Exactly. Most of those photos from Edward Curtis were completely fabricated or staged. He had multiple different people wear the same shirt in photls.

Disstevefan1

This change looks fine to me. 6 weeks is lightning fast for Disney these days.

I did some Googling and it too Disney only 8 weeks to completely convert Dreamflight to Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin in 1998 in the MK.

They do not work as fast as they used to.

But then again, back then, having more attractions open and working was good for business.

Today having more attractions open and working is apparently not good for business.

JMcMahonEsq

"This section of the ride has faced criticism for its outdated and stereotypical depictions of Native American characters."

Well we literally have photographs of native americans looking exactly like the the ones that were there before. So if by "outdated" you mean accurate for the time of the story but not how current natives look then I guess so.... Apparently accurate historical depictions are no long ok at Disney and only completely modern ones are. There was nothing at all negative in how it showed them in the scene before.

If they spent some money on actually making rides like Tiana actually run instead of stuff like this then the parks may not be empty right now.
Yes the number one attended theme park in the world needs help from a message board warrior on attendance. Place is just absolutely empty

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom