Changes to Peter Pan's Flight at Magic Kingdom

Consumer

Figures look pretty in line with the rest of the ride so as to not stand out. If we got an A1000 Tiger Lilly it would be pretty jarring.
I'm talking about their design, not the animation. They don't look like Disney characters, they look like a Chinese mobile game.
The new guy in the middle behind the drum is ... kinda hot?

Anyway I think this is an improvement from the extremely offensive caricatures that were there before. I don't think it entirely eliminates the inherent issue of the source material treating Native Americans as fantastical as mermaids and pirates and faeries, but the only solution to that problem would be to eliminate Native Americans from the ride altogether and I'm not sure that's the perfect solution either.
To a British child living in 1910, yes, Indians living in teepees is definitely as fantastical as mermaids, pirates, and faeries.

McMickeyWorld

The new guy in the middle behind the drum is ... kinda hot?

Anyway I think this is an improvement from the extremely offensive caricatures that were there before. I don't think it entirely eliminates the inherent issue of the source material treating Native Americans as fantastical as mermaids and pirates and faeries, but the only solution to that problem would be to eliminate Native Americans from the ride altogether and I'm not sure that's the perfect solution either.
I think it kinda is, but not as much as Hans AA 😳 .

DCBaker

Premium Member
Why are they ice skating?

Here's the official scene description from Disney:

In Peter Pan's Flight at Magic Kingdom Park, a serene lagoon transitions into a mountaintop community where brightly colored teepees frame the Never Land Tribe’s harvest celebration. Here, Tiger Lily and her grandmother gracefully performs the traditional Fancy Shawl Butterfly Dance by the fire, capturing the vibrant spirit of the occasion.

ToTBellHop

Here's the official scene description from Disney:

In Peter Pan's Flight at Magic Kingdom Park, a serene lagoon transitions into a mountaintop community where brightly colored teepees frame the Never Land Tribe’s harvest celebration. Here, Tiger Lily and her grandmother gracefully performs the traditional Fancy Shawl Butterfly Dance by the fire, capturing the vibrant spirit of the occasion.
The grammar police are issuing a citation for use of “performs” instead of “perform”.

Dear Prudence

Okay, I realize that there's a knowledge gap here for most folks, and as a Native person, I understand this isn't everyone's wheelhouse, but one of the issues here is people don't understand where stereotypes begin and end. What looks benign to most folks or an upgrade to most folks isn't. Because so much of what people "know" or think of Native people is rooted in myth and stereotypes. What looks respectfully done to non-Native people is a joke to a Native person. I'm very hard to be patient with this, but this isn't that much better than before. This is just a "nicer" stereotype. If this were done to any other ethnicity, people would be screaming. (And I am not putting up ethnicities against each other, I don't play that, I am just pointing out the hypocrisy.)

And, trust me, I understand, this isn't everyone's wheelhouse. We have a whole holiday in the US dedicated to the weird Happy Meal picnic myth. Most people do not know any Native people. I am trying to be gentle and meet people where they are.

Also, Tiger Lily is supposed to be doing Fancy Shawl, not ice skating. Which would be more obvious if they had done it right.

the_rich

Okay, I realize that there's a knowledge gap here for most folks, and as a Native person, I understand this isn't everyone's wheelhouse, but one of the issues here is people don't understand where stereotypes begin and end. What looks benign to most folks or an upgrade to most folks isn't. Because so much of what people "know" or think of Native people is rooted in myth and stereotypes. What looks respectfully done to non-Native people is a joke to a Native person. I'm very hard to be patient with this, but this isn't that much better than before. This is just a "nicer" stereotype. If this were done to any other ethnicity, people would be screaming. (And I am not putting up ethnicities against each other, I don't play that, I am just pointing out the hypocrisy.)

And, trust me, I understand, this isn't everyone's wheelhouse. We have a whole holiday in the US dedicated to the weird Happy Meal picnic myth. Most people do not know any Native people. I am trying to be gentle and meet people where they are.

Also, Tiger Lily is supposed to be doing Fancy Shawl, not ice skating. Which would be more obvious if they had done it right.
So would your solution be just removing it? Or is there a way they could do it right?

Dear Prudence

So would your solution be just removing it? Or is there a way they could do it right?
They should have just removed them. They are so desperate about it because Peter Pan is part of their core brand. They can't lose Peter Pan as a money maker. The Natives even being there in the first place, down to the book, are just bad. There's no sugar coating the fact that the tribes are in Neverland because they're seen as about as real as faeries and mermaids. Their tribal name in the book is an anti-Black racial slur.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom