Changes to Peter Pan's Flight at Magic Kingdom

JMcMahonEsq

Anytime a ride gets redone, especially with the passage of time, you have a chance to improve on the original. You get the benefit of years of data on riders to figure out what works, and what doesn't. You get the benefit of new technologies to make rides smother/more visually appealing.

But what does that mean for the original. Is it a fair comparison to judge an older ride, against the more modern version of itself? Do we need/want Disney to give its rides virtual shelf lifes and totally redo them once modern technology has moved on? It's one way to go certainly. Imagine rebuilding HM or PotC, or Small world using modern technology, and after having 30+ years of data on the rides? Personally I like some of the connection to the past, riding the same ride with my kids, that i road with my parents when i was was there age.

As to ride time, that such a slippery slope. If a ride is good, of course you could argue that you want it to be longer. I think Navi river is probably the poster child for such a feeling. But really how much longer are you making Peter Pan's flight, a ride built for younger kids with attention/sit still spans not being those of adults. Are we talking about make the ride 30sec longer? A minute, 2 minutes? Is there any business perspective, other than a total rebuild using the afformentioned modern techs, where its justifiable to take the ride out of service, spend tens, if not more, millions of dollars to expand the ride, and not infringe on surrounding parts of the park, to what....add 30-90 seconds to a ride that is already one of the most popular in the entire park?

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

I don't know about that... With the last refurbishment of the Disneyland version when they added some projection mapping effects, I think they nudged ahead of our version... The biggest problem with the ride is it's shortness and popularity... It just NEEDS to be a longer, better experience... Flying over Neverland and London is such a cool experience....and it just needs a better narrative... That is where the Shanghai version excells...
Most of the “projection mapping” looks bad. The city is way too bright now. It’s also flat compared to the 3D model of the Florida version. The Neverland flyover is also too short compared to Florida’s. The only “upgrades” are the flying Darling kids at the beginning, and the screen on the clock. But both of those are so small that they don’t make much of a difference.

Out of the DL Fantasyland Dark ride “upgrades”, Peter Pan got the short end of the stick.

DonniePeverley

I don't know about that... With the last refurbishment of the Disneyland version when they added some projection mapping effects, I think they nudged ahead of our version... The biggest problem with the ride is it's shortness and popularity... It just NEEDS to be a longer, better experience... Flying over Neverland and London is such a cool experience....and it just needs a better narrative... That is where the Shanghai version excells...

The Shanghai show building is also beautiful.

The cardbaord exterior at Orlando is painful and cheap.

Mireille

Premium Member
Peter Pan is a weird one for me because I can clearly remember my ability to experience it as a true wonderland, this amazing fantasy scape. Bit by bit the ride seemed shorter, less exciting, the sense of magic faded as I got older. It’s hard for me to “blame” the ride with any shortcomings, when I remember how amazing it used to seem.
That's kind of poignant... I still get a little magic just from when the ship pulls away from the floor and you start to "fly." It makes me wonder, do you or did you ever like doing the character meet and greets? Have you lost anything there realizing it's just someone in a costume? Because I know full well it's a person in the costume but when I do a meet and greet, I am able disconnect or hold back that logical part of my brain enough to feel like I'm meeting that character and I talk to them as though they ARE the character.

Disstevefan1

PPFchanges.jpg

splah

The shanghai version appears to me to be too frenetic. It's an awesome ride and does some amazing things. But I wouldn't trade the calm, peaceful nature our our current version. WDW feels more like a show to me than being "in" the story. I appreciate that.

Bocabear

You mean to tell me you'd rather soar through a CGI-rendered London than a whimsical, hand-painted one? Have you no soul?"
Are you referring to the Tokyo Fantasy Springs version? The Shanghai Versioon is a combination of practical sets including London, and some projection mapping for ambience.... I thought in person it was beautiful...and the score that moves along with you, adds a lot to the experience...

Cmdr_Crimson

I sure hope they can update the audio with Corey Burton's voice for Captain Hook. Whoever did the original voices sound terrible especially when you hear the "Help Me Mr. Smee Help me!" Lines they sound so lazy to me..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom