Changes to Peter Pan's Flight at Magic Kingdom

Bocabear

Quick question - for those who have ridden all the versions - which one is the best!?

I’ve only been in Florida and Cali
I think my new favorite is the Shanghai Disneyland version... It has the most linear storytelling, and has a charming score that follows the vehicle... It was my favorite ride at that park next to the Shanghai Pirates Of The Caribbean ride. Sadly, like all the versions I have been on, it is just too short....they all seem to be.I think WDW has the worst version at this point as all other have been upgraded with projection mapping and effects. I would love to see WDW do an ultimate version over where the Circus Tents are... same basic ride as Shanghai with a little more expanded length...the environments are so beautiful...you want to linger there just a little longer....and maybe a "Neverland" area for the Magic Kingdom complete with Pirate ship, Skull Rock etc....it could be amazing.

Club Cooloholic

That’s upsetting news for me! Shanghai is like the least likely park for me to visit. Haha.

But that’s good to know.
Shanghai was different, but not my favorite place to visit. The line at the turnstiles for entry was so long with lots of line jumping and people selling counterfeit merchandise right there in the line! I had no way to use my phone to book rides so it was standby everywhere. That said,.their best attraction was the Pirates of Caribbean stage show. Just amazing and I couldn't even understand much of the dialogue, that is a production I would love to see at MK.

Bocabear

I’ve ridden every Peter Pan attraction (except the Fantasy Springs one) and can confidently say that Shanghai is the best version. It’s the longest and most up-to-date.
and as much as I loved it, it still seemed about a minute too short... I love that is iit timed with the score and seems to complete the whole journey...as opposed to the Magic Kingdom versions that has the same song on repeat and basically just sails over Hook and Smee and directly to the exit.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Disney has added a notice of the refurbishment to the website:

Beginning July 8, 2024, Peter Pan’s Flight will temporarily close for refurbishment. The attraction is scheduled to reopen later this summer.
I don't understand how the Native American scene is an issue when Disney made recent Peter Pan rides in new parks and lands that portray the same thing?

It's just a Florida thing I guess.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't understand how the Native American scene is an issue when Disney made recent Peter Pan rides in new parks and lands that portray the same thing?

It's just a Florida thing I guess.
Shanghai's PPF only shows teepees in the distance. No Indians.

Fantasy Spring's PP ride only shows Tiger Lily with normal skin coloring, and two shadows of Indians dancing.

Neither show a deep red 'Red Man.'

DisDude33

With PPF and the Castle Stage not being in use for a few weeks crowd placement is going to be a nightmare in MK. I really hope they aren’t crazy enough to close Big Thunder before these projects are finished.

Bocabear

Shanghai's PPF only shows teepees in the distance. No Indians.

Fantasy Spring's PP ride only shows Tiger Lily with normal skin coloring, and two shadows of Indians dancing.

Neither show a deep red 'Red Man.'
so could they not just repaint the skin tones on the "Indian" characters and leave the rest alone?

Tha Realest

Yet they do nothing about the native Americans on the rivers of America as seen by the riverboat.
There’s a nuanced approach here.

Tiger Lily isn’t patently a stereotype. She continues to be depicted in newer versions of the story in a way that doesn’t conjure up those tropes. The way other NAs in Peter Pan are depicted is. ROA figures are not inherently stereotypical.

Sneaky

Well, with probable changes coming to Peter Pan coming during the refurb…

Attachments

• IMG_2760.gif
    IMG_2760.gif
    1,003.8 KB · Views: 60

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
so could they not just repaint the skin tones on the "Indian" characters and leave the rest alone?
If it were just the color of the skin, yes. But PP's Indians also contain bodily stereotypes like big noses. Caricatures of big noses has been used for over a century to mock certain peoples or individuals. The big noses are a shorthand caricature for the person or people being different, or weird, or stupid, or up to no good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom