Changes at DTD

_Scar

I think if they alternated with travelling Disney broadway shows like The Little Mermaid, Mary Poppins, and Lion King then it could be awesome.

SMRT-1

I'll resurrect this thread!
Save PI blog is reporting the latest rumors that RRBC & Motion to come down this October. Mannequins & 8TRAX to reopen next year.

http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.com/2010/08/pi-update-rumors-explained.html

well that would be great! reopen something! i overheard a couple talking in downtown disney a few days ago and the women said "lets check out pleasure island after....the man was like...i think there is music clubs there". little do they know is there is only a surf shop and a overpriced restaurant. hope they had fun with that.

Master Gracey

I just got back from a meeting with my concept artists and here is another view of my aforementioned "Plan B" (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=4162524&postcount=1215) as to what should occupy the space between The Marketplace and West Side.

PleasureIslandConceptArt-1.jpg

Some days you eat the mouse.
Some days the mouse eats you.
But never give into the mouse without a fight!

KUNGALOOSH!

trr1

TomDisney

I think that a Broadway Show would be the one thing that would bring the most life back to DTD. With the success of the Disney shows on Broadway and the road shows, I can not see why this has not happened. I for one would go to dinner (in DTD) and a show ever trip I made to WDW. I would see them many doing Disney Shows, but they could also do other Broadway productions.

Unfortunately, don't exepect that to happen. Disney has made a huge investment in the new performing arts center that is going to be built in Orlando to replace the Bob Carr Center. It probably would not make good business sense right now to compete against that. Plus I am sure that Disney will have some influence on some programming in that theater so expect to see some Disney shows popping up there.

http://www.drphillipscenter.org/progress/unveiling

Mrs.Toad

What happened to DTD, especially PI, still kills me because it is a nice property and has so much potential and it had strengths that were obliterated (like poor AC.) and the dance/comedy/clubs. Now some people liked certain ones over others so that is for another time or perhaps even another thread.

They could get very creative and go wild with theming and they have made a few good steps in the right direction after several huge steps back but they can do better and I really hope they do.

I'll leave the kids alone for a minute. When I was small I didn't mind when the parents took a few hours with us to go to DTD but I still couldn't wait to get back to one of the parks. The kids have T-Rex, Rainforest, Planet Hollywood, lego store, character stores, Cirque,Disneyquest, etc. which is more than I had as a child going to DTD in the 80's to pique their interest, but more can still be done.

Possibilities are endless. It's not like designing for a "land" where you have to somewhat stay in the lines so any restaurant or attraction you create has to mesh with the theme of the land. And it's not like Disney is doing it all. Restaurant groups have come in, Bongos ( the Estefans) Puck (Puck and his investors/business assoc., etc.) so they collaborate and have outside entities come in to DTD.

So you can toy with as many themes as you want because it is all housed in that one restaurant, bar, etc. until you walk out the door and move on to the next. PI used to be a collection of very different places all next to each other and I hope that is the direction the area goes in. And DTD still is somewhat in its layout, but is not what it once was.

But I think we have enough of the chains in DTD and as it expands or additions are made I hope they move away from that (wishful thinking?)

I remember when Mars 2112 opened in NYC years ago and it looked so much like Tomorrowland and I sat with my parents and they told the server that it reminded them of something that could be in WDW, and the server said, "They wish..." I would need the experts to chime in, perhaps Disney had approached them years ago in interest or the server was just throwing out an airy comment.

But even still...enough of the chains, I would love to see unique restaurant and bar concepts from Disney away from that.

How difficult could it be? Look at the heavily themed WS restaurants in Epcot that people love. The restaurants are an event much like the attractions and look at the popularity of heavily themed restaurants like the Derby, 50's, and Sci-Fi. So how come DTD hasn't looked to these areas for inspiration? For dining, lounges, bars, and some dance clubs?

Ok, maybe money, lack of vision or identity for the area, not sure what they want to do, other parks/projects holding their attention at the moment, incidents over the years at the bar/club destinations that we've all heard about. But that happens anywhere.

My fiance and I stayed at the Floridian on our last trip. Our next trip is our honeymoon and we will be going for about two weeks. And like our last trip, but even more imperative on a honeymoon, some nights you just want to take a break from the parks later in the evening and relax and hang out somewhere.

So sad that what I dd years ago will not be happening on my honeymoon. I went with a group to PI, and we started off at AC went to Mannequins, 8-Traxx, and had a blast. Not like my fiance or other non-dancers are missing the clubs as much as others, he's not busting into any Justin Timberlake moves any time soon, but I think he would still have enjoyed the theming and atmosphere of the old PI, especially having drinks and the immersive experience of AC, which was awesome. Sadly, my fiancee never went to the old PI.

We are going to do a bit of shopping, eat somewhere at DTD, have some drinks at Raglan, and leave. We are even planning on staying in the Epcot area because PI is not what it was and the substitute is Boardwalk on a much smaller scale. Jellyrolls and Atlantic will just have to suffice. We had a good time at Jellyrolls last time we went and I'm not knocking it, but Boardwalk is not the same as the old PI.

My armchair imagineering dream for DTD, especially for PI, would be for a host of heavily themed places to arrive. They would have kept AC as a flagship/cornerstone which always reminded me of Adventureland and AK, and just keep going and build from there.

AC is the blueprint, all additions in future should be aimed in that direction. That is what I hope they strive for in my wild hopes and dreams for DTD/PI. When it closed they found out, if they didn't know already from the outcry and protests, just how beloved and special and unique it was. It should be the springboard for all new ventures, and heck, just open the place back up already. Not like anything better has opened, so what's the problem?

Disney didn't have an Irish restaurant/pub so Raglan fits the bill. Dinner, pub food, unique drinks, steppers, bands, it was a good decision. They even have a walk up window to top it off. And besides T-Rex, more geared toward the families, it kind of died right there. I already gave a review of Paradiso on another thread but to me it's not up the calibur of what I would expect a fantastic DTD addition should be, especially when you close a spot like AC in theming, you want better, not just a regular restaurant or bar spot. In NY, the Jekyll and Hydes and Slaughtered Lamb pub/restaurants are still going strong as far as I know.

There are the Pucks to satisfy many tiers of dining tastes, dinner, light-hearted fare, etc. Latin (Bongos,Paradiso) is represented, seafood is represented ( Fulton's) even dining on a boat, Southern (HOB) but they are all just ok to me and yes, offer some variety, but they are chains and most of them are also located in my state, so its not that exciting to me, and they are nowhere near what AC and some of the others places that closed were, and what could really be added. I have never been to Portobello or Cap'n Jack's but in passing they do not seem as themed as the others and the reviews for all on this website and others can be inconsistent at times. I guess they round out dining, drinks, by offering steak, seafood, Italian, in general.

If they had restaurants, bars, clubs as heavily themed as the parks I would be there. Right now DTD is a one day trip for me when I venture to Orlando. Sadly, I wish it wasn't the case. And for those that live in or around Orlando or go to WDW a few times a year, it must be even more disappointing.

It was done with the hotels. Poly (Adventureland), Contemporary (Tomorrowland) GF ( Main Street)...why not the dining/entertainment areas of DTD? Endless possibilities....

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Reopen as what?
the rumors are 8-trax as itself and MDP as top 40s. If they did top 40s remixes/house vocals, I'd be fine with that. If they are gonna reopen motion in MDP, they can just keep it closed as far as I'm concerned. Mannequins never was and never should be anywhere close to a hip hop joint. You can get that kind of music anywhere, including ADH.

But I think my argument is moot anyway. I really do think it is wishful thinking. But hey, surprise me! They can demo whatever they want, but reopen MDP and 8-trax(and hopefully CW) and I'd be perfectly happy with the bold and new.

dizben19

Urban Adventure Information

This is my first posting and I am sure many of you will have disbelief but here ya go. I just took Urban Adventures in last few days, for those who don't know that is DTD's Traditions class. The gentleman who was facilitating the class informed us that a few major announcements should be coming out over the next few months. The format DTD is looking towards involve something called RDE which stands for Retail, Dining & Entertainment. He told us he couldn't go into great details but that the DTD area would be adding roughly 1400 dining seats. They are looking at places like Raglan Road where you can shop, have family style dinners early and then also have a late night adult area. I specifically asked if there were even talks about Adventures Club coming back and he said no. This did not come from some bus driver or custodial person, and you can believe it or not, but all we can do is wait and see. I would sincerely doubt that they would blow smoke up all these new castmembers if something wasn't going to happen

Krack

This is my first posting and I am sure many of you will have disbelief but here ya go. I just took Urban Adventures in last few days, for those who don't know that is DTD's Traditions class. The gentleman who was facilitating the class informed us that a few major announcements should be coming out over the next few months. The format DTD is looking towards involve something called RDE which stands for Retail, Dining & Entertainment. He told us he couldn't go into great details but that the DTD area would be adding roughly 1400 dining seats. They are looking at places like Raglan Road where you can shop, have family style dinners early and then also have a late night adult area. I specifically asked if there were even talks about Adventures Club coming back and he said no. This did not come from some bus driver or custodial person, and you can believe it or not, but all we can do is wait and see. I would sincerely doubt that they would blow smoke up all these new castmembers if something wasn't going to happen

I'll believe it when I see it; this is the same "plan" they've been touting since before they closed down Pleasure Island. The largest problem is that Disney wouldn't build their own dining establishments and no outside vendors are willing to pay the price to lease. Sadly, I think they are doing exactly that - "blowing smoke up all these new castmembers".

trr1

I'll believe it when I see it; this is the same "plan" they've been touting since before they closed down Pleasure Island. The largest problem is that Disney wouldn't build their own dining establishments and no outside vendors are willing to pay the price to lease. Sadly, I think they are doing exactly that - "blowing smoke up all these new castmembers".
what kind columbian,hawaiian,or killer ?

raven

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
PI isn't coming back. A whole new concept is on the table for the property that's more family oriented with an entirely different name. Pretty cool looking as well! :animwink:

Ack....wrong answer...that's NOT what I want to hear!

Mouse Detective

A whole new concept is on the table for the property that's more family oriented with an entirely different name.

Raven, when they first closed everything 2 years ago, they announced it was going to be replaced with something more family oriented. But that never happened. Is that what you're referring to or is there something newer being developed?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Raven, when they first closed everything 2 years ago, they announced it was going to be replaced with something more family oriented. But that never happened. Is that what you're referring to or is there something newer being developed?

The "bold new vision" got cataracts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom