Changes at DTD

jt04

There is not question that the original AC show would not work in a dinner show format and it would have to be re-written to fit it. If I had my way the club would be put back together in its original format but at this point I would be willing to take a re-write just to get the AC back in some manner shape or form.

Odds are it will be back, just not at DTD.

Biff215

I still think a really good way to draw more people to DTD is a broadway show. Build a theater and come up with a new show or when a show leaves Broadway like Beauth & the Beast move it there.

While I agree, you would have to think that Cirque would have something to say about that, and Disney wouldn't want to pull the audience away from there either. Since Disney tries to actively sell La Nouba when you make dining reservations, they clearly have a stake in its success. If they were filling that show every night then you could bet on a second offering. But that it clearly not happening, especially given the increased discounts being offered there.

Maybe it's time to switch Cirque shows or get something new entirely in there. It's just a shame that it's at the very (dead) end of DD. Those attending Cirque have very little reason to actually walk through PI other than to get to the MP.

jt04

While I agree, you would have to think that Cirque would have something to say about that, and Disney wouldn't want to pull the audience away from there either. Since Disney tries to actively sell La Nouba when you make dining reservations, they clearly have a stake in its success. If they were filling that show every night then you could bet on a second offering. But that it clearly not happening, especially given the increased discounts being offered there.

Maybe it's time to switch Cirque shows or get something new entirely in there. It's just a shame that it's at the very (dead) end of DD. Those attending Cirque have very little reason to actually walk through PI other than to get to the MP.

I agree. I have been thinking that Cirque may have veto power over other entertainment options at DTD. Could it be that Cirque wanted other entertainment options scaled back or even closed? It would explain a lot of what has transpired.

Duckberg

BEATLES Cirque Show

Would Disney EVER have a chance to get the Beatles Cirque Show currently exclusive to Vegas here @ DTD & also morph that theme into parts of what was PI :veryconfu Duckberg :D

cslafferty

Studio 54 (54 and pop culture in general)
Any of the bars from Swingers
A western saloon from any number of films
A speakeasy from any number of gangster films
Coyote Ugly (Coyote Ugly)
The Maidenhead (Serenity)
The Bamboo Lounge (Goodfellas)
The Ink and Paint Club (Who Framed Roger Rabbit) again they own the rights
The Ti**y Twister (From Dusk Till Dawn) well maybe not

Now I can't stop.

Now THIS would be a fun place to hang out!!!

imagineer boy

I honestly hope they never get rid of La Nouba. I absolutly adore it. I love the visuals, I love the acts, I love the costumes, I love the characters, I love the music, and I love Sisaundra's singing.

Maybe they could add rotating acts ( different acts that perform on certain nights). That would definately add repeatability.

BTW, I love the idea for a Jack Rabbit Slim's replica for PI. That would be awesome.

OFTeric

I honestly hope they never get rid of La Nouba. I absolutly adore it. I love the visuals, I love the acts, I love the costumes, I love the characters, I love the music, and I love Sisaundra's singing.

Maybe they could add rotating acts ( different acts that perform on certain nights). That would definately add repeatability.

BTW, I love the idea for a Jack Rabbit Slim's replica for PI. That would be awesome.

One my OWN PERSONAL issues with the current cirque show at DTD La Nouba, is that unfortunately Blue Man Groups show down the road has the same theme, which is about communication.

While La Nouba looks at the abstract digital communication... which was very happening and hip when it opened in 1998 some of the graphics, costumes, digital lingo used in the show is beginning to feel dated in not a fantastic way.

While they have done some fantastic work in updating the who with some different acts... So much has been done since it opened with permanent Cirque shows, (one should remember that La Nouba was the first permanent Cirque du Soleil show in a stand alone building). It really shows it's age when you see the other Cirque shows in Vegas, and a few of the newer touring shows.

Long story short, I would favor a new instillation in the theatre. It has been 12 years, and I believe a profitable 12 years.

I just wish for Cirque's sake that DTD was more of a destination like it was, when they used to offer Valet parking over on the Westside... I know I would valet my car.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I still think a really good way to draw more people to DTD is a broadway show. Build a theater and come up with a new show or when a show leaves Broadway like Beauth & the Beast move it there.

I think that a Broadway Show would be the one thing that would bring the most life back to DTD. With the success of the Disney shows on Broadway and the road shows, I can not see why this has not happened. I for one would go to dinner (in DTD) and a show ever trip I made to WDW. I would see them many doing Disney Shows, but they could also do other Broadway productions.

OFTeric

I think that a Broadway Show would be the one thing that would bring the most life back to DTD. With the success of the Disney shows on Broadway and the road shows, I can not see why this has not happened. I for one would go to dinner (in DTD) and a show ever trip I made to WDW. I would see them many doing Disney Shows, but they could also do other Broadway productions.

I 100% agree with you. However, I think the one big thing preventing something like that from happening are some of phenomenal shows inside the parks i.e. Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo the Musical.

That being said, the number 1 reason is $ of course. A new theatre plus a 10 - 20 million dollar investment in a show that would need to run 10 years is a big gamble in orlando where people expect dinner to come with a show.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

I agree with this, although I think a venue designed for the touring versions of Broadway Shows would work as well.

They could run mostly Disney-related productions, with Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Mary Poppings and the Little Mermaid already available. A lengthened and plussed version of the Aladdin show now at DCA, and one or more of the DCL shows would be candidates as well. Sprinkle in a family-appropriate non-Disney show now and then (things like Shrek the musical, Wicked, Spamalot). It would be a good addition to DtD, and should draw some locals as well.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I'd love the idea of any number of themed bars or shows to be introduced. Unfortunately, considering the fact they're now running out mimes and street musicians, I'm thinking the money for much else just isn't there for PI right now....

classic planning w/o confirmation that a recession has begun. Would they have closed PI had they know they wouldn't be able to proceed w/ the plans conceived 2 years ago ????

vonpluto

classic planning w/o confirmation that a recession has begun. Would they have closed PI had they know they wouldn't be able to proceed w/ the plans conceived 2 years ago ????

Yeah probably would have. For they saw all the signs and knew that they were good.

From late 2007 thru summer 2008, Da' DOW went weeee, down 2000!

Spring 2008, Bear Stearns....THUD!

Early September 2008....

Fannie Mae.....THUD!
Freddie Mac.....THUD!
Lehman.........THUD!
AIG...............THUD!
Housing Market......BOOM!
Credit Markets Freeze, Investors jump ship,

And the powers that be, saw this, were amazed, put on their Golden Mickey Ears and gave great thanks....
then they closed Pleasure Island at the end of September 2008.

:brick:

Yeah probably would have. For they saw all the signs and knew that they were good.

From late 2007 thru summer 2008, Da' DOW went weeee, down 2000!

Spring 2008, Bear Stearns....THUD!

Early September 2008....

Fannie Mae.....THUD!
Freddie Mac.....THUD!
Lehman.........THUD!
AIG...............THUD!
Housing Market......BOOM!
Credit Markets Freeze, Investors jump ship,

And the powers that be, saw this, were amazed, put on their Golden Mickey Ears and gave great thanks....
then they closed Pleasure Island at the end of September 2008.

:brick:
fraid I'm painfully aware of alll that. Certain aspects of PI were profitable, certainly more so than vacant property. Perhaps Captain EO will turn out to be an incredible profit center.

Master Gracey

For all those who are interested in having Pleasure Island return, here is the latest campaign initiated by the Save Pleasure Island Blog! It has a familiar ring to it, but can be effective nonetheless!

http://savepleasureisland.blogspot.com/

Some days you eat the mouse.
Some days the mouse eats you.
But never give into the mouse without a fight!

KUNGALOOSH!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom