Changes at DTD

Evil Genius

You know, in all the vacation evenings the wife and I spent wandering through PI...up to the bitter end...I never ONCE encountered anything that could remotely be considered 'gang activity'.

Drunks? Yes.

Obnoxious people in general? You bet.

But nothing gang oriented.

However it was obvious the clubs were losing money as towards the end most evenings they appeared dead. I don't think completely abandoning the idea of PI was the right answer...but it's clear something needed to be done.

Of course I also think removing the entrance fee to PI mucked things up as well.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
However it was obvious the clubs were losing money as towards the end most evenings they appeared dead. I don't think completely abandoning the idea of PI was the right answer...but it's clear something needed to be done.

Many Boardwalk venues should start to worry if thats the criteria for judging profitability.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
You made a claim that i was lying and is wrong yet you fail to back it up....how typical....i wish i could live in your fantasy world where everything is EVIL MANAGEMENT fault and where a random website is a valid source of information....this just in 9/11 is an inside job, Walt is a Nazi, and Walt's Head is frozen in the Utilidoor...all claims supported by websites which according to wm49ers is the only valid source of information.......

Actually, if you had ever taken the time to read what was written I never called you a liar. I simply asked that you prove where gangs and drunken behavior contributed to PI closing down (which you have yet to provide). I have little doubt that profits (or lack thereof) was the primary reason those clubs shut down. Everything else is just hyperbole and conjecture. Not facts....

As for the rest, well someone needs a nappy.....

Evil Genius

Many Boardwalk venues should start to worry if thats the criteria for judging profitability.

Well yes they do!

If people aren't spending money buying drinks and actually hanging out in the clubs then they aren't going to turn a profit. Now obviously during the off seasons attendance will be lower, but towards the end I could be down there during peak times and the dance clubs would be ghost towns.

CM nights were still good but as I've been informed they weren't really spending all that much money and just went to dance...no money to be made there either.

Evil Genius

Its funny because even now with just House of Blues on Sunday nights i see a hint of what i saw every weekend at PI.....gang violence? Nope, but gang activity...yes. Just like what City Walk is facing again....

Add the losing of an entrance fee with the fact that castmembers got in for free to the clubs it was easy to see that a good amount of people in the clubs were all castmembers and thus another reason why they were losing money....

I think that all depends on what your definition of "gang activity" is.

We'd often see groups of younger folks that maybe a little than normal hanging out around PI being obnoxious and being overtly irritating, but I hardly think that constitutes gang activity.

I'd love to hear some actual clear cut examples of said activity and not just conjecture.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
It is up to Disney's interpretation but lets just say that towards the end there were more arrests being made then ever before....the real downfall was when they started letting anyone stroll thru it....

"More arrests" than what? Still waiting for proof on all of this nefarious gang activity.....

Thank God I'm not holding my breath....

Mr.EPCOT

LOL, god i love threads like this because people who were not there...like you are trying to tell people who were there and know the reasons why it closed down that they are wrong. You are wrong and you are spreading lies....I do know what i am talking about...you do not.

All of the Clubs besides the Adventurers club and the Comedy club were in the red and losing money...

Drunk people in the middle of DTD with kids walking around is not what the Disney Company Represents.....

After City Walk cracked down on gangs they started moving over to DTD where it was free to walk around...

Again i am correct...you are wrong....do not post unless you want to speak the truth...

I am right....

How do you know I wasn't there? That's quite the assumption on your part that would seem to indicate that you are not considering this rationally and logically. I'm not wrong, and you can't really prove otherwise unless you've got documentation. I don't have any, but I can at least provide anecdotal evidence. I was there at least once every week, sometimes more, and usually on different days of the week. NEVER saw any kind of gang element. Doesn't mean they didn't show up every once in a long while, but it wasn't enough to deem the place unsafe. And of course there's the typical drunk idiots, but not noticeably excessive over anywhere else. Also, why would they close the supposedly only two profitable ventures that also happen to be venues that do not typically encourage people to get overly drunk and attract a gang element? That's because the true motivation for all of the clubs closures was probably that there was a desire for third-party businesses that would make lots of money for Disney with minimal effort by Disney itself. This is further made likely by the unfortunate trend for Disney to outsource more and more of their operations, from everything to valet to restaurants. This has also been supported by the two or three people who have regularly posted on this site for a long time who are proven privy to such information.

If you have proof, or even a reasonable counter-argument I'd be more than happy to reconsider my position, but you have to do better than just saying I'm wrong and accusing me of spreading lies.

Evil Genius

Arrests do not equal gang activity. Again unless there are stats to back this specific allegation up...it's all conjecture.

Besides, even if arrests were up, that's an issue that can be for the most part dealt with by an increase in security. The thing is TDO simply washed their hands of Pleasure Island and left it to die.

imagineer boy

Yes you are wrong..

Hmm why close down all but two clubs? That is illogical..especially since it is part of one giant area and not single entities...if the whole area is failing you close it down, not just the parts that are failing...

True motivations was to use third party people? LOL, hahahahahahahahahaha

I love it...this is supported by no one....yet again you are wrong.

Lets see i was there....saw the gang activity....saw the empty clubs....saw the fact that only one thing has opened since it closed so that means the third party idea is flat out wrong...saw the drunk people making fools of themselves in front of kids...yeah facts are a fickle thing...you might want to learn them....

Yeesh, even Kanye West would find you to be egocentrical...

Evil Genius

Please provide evidence that TDO simply washed their hands of Pleasure Island and left it to die? I am waiting...wait you have none.

The simple fact is that people stopped going to PI...that is a fact. Maybe you should blame yourselves before you blame THE EVIL MANAGEMENT
How about the fact that as attendance to the clubs began to deminish you began to see a lack up upkeep and maintenance in said clubs. As less people spent time in them, it was clear the less TDO was concerned with keeping them well maintained because they really did begin to look ratty inside. Some worse than others...but there was a clear overall decay in their upkeep.

That falls in the lap of management.

Now perhaps if they had kept the clubs in better condition then the crowds might have eventually returned. However as PI clubs deteriorated, venues in other parts of Orlando were growing and flourishing. Specifically the newer clubs in downtown Orlando.

It really falls back to that old addage "If you build it, they will come." Only in this instance it's more like 'If you ignore them, they will leave."

Mr.EPCOT

Let's see if I can counter each point in a polite and rational manner...

Yes you are wrong..

Okay, we live in a universe of infinite possibilities, but you do have to provide proof.

Hmm why close down all but two clubs? That is illogical..especially since it is part of one giant area and not single entities...if the whole area is failing you close it down, not just the parts that are failing...

So if a shopping mall is having trouble, you should shut every single store down?

True motivations was to use third party people? LOL, hahahahahahahahahaha

I love it...this is supported by no one....yet again you are wrong.

I believe that Lee, tirian, and Imayoyo, (and perhaps others I'm forgetting) the aforementioned proven insiders, all have indicated that this is indeed the situation.

Lets see i was there....saw the gang activity....saw the empty clubs....

Okay, we both have opposing viewpoints of anecdotal evidence, so perhaps we are at an impasse there. However, considering the emotional state you are exhibiting, I doubt that a significant amount of posters will trust that you are calm enough not to embellish or invent your experiences.

saw the fact that only one thing has opened since it closed so that means the third party idea is flat out wrong...

Could be wrong... or could very well be that it was just an idea that failed miserably.

saw the drunk people making fools of themselves in front of kids...yeah facts are a fickle thing...you might want to learn them....

Regardless of the actual extent of the problem, it was certainly one that needed to be addressed. Unfortunately, it's one that Disney created for itself by poor placement of the West Side.

So much for civil discourse. If there's any chance you'd like start conversing in a polite manner, I'd be happy to continue the debate. If you truly have extensive experience with the Island, most people will listen and give it proper weight, but not with the attitude that you have now.

The Mom

Premium Member
I again have tidied up this thread. I suggest you ignore the interruption and go back to the discussion. As mentioned, the burden of proof is on the person presenting his "facts." Opinions carry equal weight, and cannot be false or true - just different. Others are free to believe them or not, but it doesn't make someone wrong in fact, just in your opinion. ;)

IMO, this thread can be saved. :lol: But I could be mistaken.

PixarfortheWin

Let's see if I can counter each point in a polite and rational manner...

Okay, we live in a universe of infinite possibilities, but you do have to provide proof.

So if a shopping mall is having trouble, you should shut every single store down?

I believe that Lee, tirian, and Imayoyo, (and perhaps others I'm forgetting) the aforementioned proven insiders, all have indicated that this is indeed the situation.

Okay, we both have opposing viewpoints of anecdotal evidence, so perhaps we are at an impasse there. However, considering the emotional state you are exhibiting, I doubt that a significant amount of posters will trust that you are calm enough not to embellish or invent your experiences.

Could be wrong... or could very well be that it was just an idea that failed miserably.

Regardless of the actual extent of the problem, it was certainly one that needed to be addressed. Unfortunately, it's one that Disney created for itself by poor placement of the West Side.

So much for civil discourse. If there's any chance you'd like start conversing in a polite manner, I'd be happy to continue the debate. If you truly have extensive experience with the Island, most people will listen and give it proper weight, but not with the attitude that you have now.

Okay lets break down what you said...

Look at restaurants...many times the bar area makes money but the food area does not...so instead of closing down just the dining area they close the whole restaurant down...that is a better analogy than a mall since in a mall they are all separately run and independent shops where as in PI they are all owned and operated by the same people.

So you named three people who have no real claim to their OPINIONS. I want real sources....

Civil? I made a claim supported by facts and yet you attacked using no facts. I am right, i really dont care if you dont believe me because you guys remind me of typical Internet folk who believe anything that a website tells you....

PixarfortheWin

I again have tidied up this thread. I suggest you ignore the interruption and go back to the discussion. As mentioned, the burden of proof is on the person presenting his "facts." Opinions carry equal weight, and cannot be false or true - just different. Others are free to believe them or not, but it doesn't make someone wrong in fact, just in your opinion. ;)

IMO, this thread can be saved. :lol: But I could be mistaken.

The burden of proof is on the person making the claim that Disney lies and that PI closed because of poor management.....

The Mom

Premium Member
The burden of proof is on the person making the claim that Disney lies and that PI closed because of poor management.....

No, the burden of proof is on you. You have said that others are wrong because the facts back you. If that is true, produce them. Otherwise, you are expressing an opinion based upon personal perceptions, discussions with others, etc that may or may not be fact. Just like everyone else posting.

I did not see anyone making a claim that "Disney lies."

So, either provide proof, or stop arguing and telling people that they are wrong or lying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom