Changes at DTD

jt04

I use to go to downtown disney when I was in town for conventions etc and it was a good place for a night with the co-workers. Since then the restaurant quality stinks and the entertainment options stink! Hey the shopping is shopping and some of the shows are good but this is an area that really has lost focus. In my eyes more then any other property.

This explains the ever increasing difficulty in finding parking.

:lol:

scpergj

One concept I had, which WDI is welcome to use, was to recreate a series of those one of a kind, hole in the wall, mom and pop restaurants from around the country. Think diners, drive ins and dives at WDW.

That's a cool idea...have you seen any of the episodes from when Guy was here in Jax??

Mouse Detective

The idea that Disney will be going back into the "clubs" business, at least at DTD is at best misguided. The marketplace is more popular than ever even during a hideous economy. They are not going to alienate all that hard earned goodwill by reopening the clubs.

You're wrong. They might not be called clubs but they'll businesses serving alcoholic beverages and offering music and dancing. The Marketplace is more popular than ever? Where did you pull that out of? And hard-earned good will? Where is there any goodwill?

BTW, talk of theoretical 20-year-old DUI epidemics aside, has anyone else actually seen the replacements for Celebrate Tonight? Because the only alternative I can come up with is that the woman is completely lacking in both business sense and musical taste.

Save Pleasure Island has photos posted of a band last night that drew a crowd and earned some business at Laffers. What woman?

jt04

You're wrong. They might not be called clubs but they'll businesses serving alcoholic beverages and offering music and dancing. The Marketplace is more popular than ever? Where did you pull that out of? And hard-earned good will? Where is there any goodwill?

Apparently at the cash registers. A safe shopper is a happy shopper.

PirateFrank

What if the Imagineers got in on the act of the reimaging of Downtown Disney? I'm talking the mother-of-all-themed-bar-areas.

Possibilities include:

Mos Eisley Cantina (Star Wars)
Tortuga (Pirate of the Caribbean)

Okay when I started typing I expected my list to be much longer. Fail. Still though...

Actually, the bar on Tortuga is called "The Faithful Bride"....but I like your thinking. I would actually divert into DTD (and I rarely go there on my trips to the world) just to have a drink in these two places....

scpergj

No. I do not watch the show that much. Where did he go?
Let's see...

13 Gypsies
Metro Diner
Sun Dog Diner
Culhanes Irish Pub

and out at Mayport, Singletons (best food-out-of-a-shack you've ever had...)

Pretty cool seeing him around J-ville. Now we just need to get him to Treemendous BBQ in Middleburg - I think he'd like it!!

stlbobby

What if the Imagineers got in on the act of the reimaging of Downtown Disney? I'm talking the mother-of-all-themed-bar-areas.

Possibilities include:

Okay when I started typing I expected my list to be much longer. Fail. Still though...

How about Jack Rabbit Slims (Pulp Fiction) they even own the rights to this one
The Regal Beagle (Three's Company)
Cheers (Cheers)

I bet there are even more. I just can't think of them right now.

stlbobby

Possibilities include:

Rick's Cafe American (Casablanca)

I'm loving this idea even more.

stlbobby

Possibilities include:

Studio 54 (54 and pop culture in general)
Any of the bars from Swingers
A western saloon from any number of films
A speakeasy from any number of gangster films
Coyote Ugly (Coyote Ugly)
The Maidenhead (Serenity)
The Bamboo Lounge (Goodfellas)
The Ink and Paint Club (Who Framed Roger Rabbit) again they own the rights
The Ti**y Twister (From Dusk Till Dawn) well maybe not

Now I can't stop.

71jason

The only way I see it coming back and being profitable would be in a dinner show format similar to Hoop or Spirit of Aloha.

Two things. First, the Club WAS profitable as part of a nightclub complex--it would be again, I imagine, especially with all the publicity of the last two years. Promotion and merchandise would have helped as well.

Second, and I'm sorry to drift into fanboi territory here, but I think anybody who thinks the AdvClub would work as a dinner show never really "got" the Club. Even the best of the shows were corny. What made it work was the informality (or the appearance of informality) and the interaction. A Balderdash Cup when the audience hasn't had the chance to socialize with Hathaway and Otis first out in the Salon just wouldn't work. Nor do things like Babylona or the Yakoose or even Arnie and Claude work when people go in expecting them.

This explains the ever increasing difficulty in finding parking.
:lol:

Because they keep removing spaces from Marketplace--first for T-Rex, then to improve flow. Other than a holiday weekend, plenty of parking by PI any given night, and acres of it by West Side.

stlbobby

No admittance without the password ("Walt sent me!"), right?

Some days you eat the mouse.
Some days the mouse eats you.
But never give into the mouse without a fight!

KUNGALOOSH!

I forgot that. That would be awesome. How have they not done this already? Unless they just can't get enough short waiters to work every night in penguin costumes. I can see how that would be a problem.

Mr. Morrow

I still think a really good way to draw more people to DTD is a broadway show. Build a theater and come up with a new show or when a show leaves Broadway like Beauth & the Beast move it there.

stlbobby

I still think a really good way to draw more people to DTD is a broadway show. Build a theater and come up with a new show or when a show leaves Broadway like Beauth & the Beast move it there.

That's not a bad idea. They could really do something great with that.

Evil Genius

This is a concept I have a hard time believing they haven't implemented yet! With La Nuba already on the West Side I certainly think it's a concept that could be exploited more with other theatre venues.

Also to the guy who mentioned Coyote Ugly, it already exists as a franchise so that one would be a simple implementation as well.

OFTeric

This is a concept I have a hard time believing they haven't implemented yet! With La Nuba already on the West Side I certainly think it's a concept that could be exploited more with other theatre venues.

Also to the guy who mentioned Coyote Ugly, it already exists as a franchise so that one would be a simple implementation as well.

Well La Nouba needs to be replaced (In my personal opinion). I LOVE La Nouba but it is getting harder and harder to fill that venue.

I think if they were to add another theater at WDW they should add it in the PI area. I would be a fan of a broadway style show taking up permanent residence at WDW... Maybe Poppins, or some of the lower brow Disney shows that didn't make it in NYC... Tarzan, or Mermaid.

Mr. Morrow

That's not a bad idea. They could really do something great with that.

Yea I also can't believe they havn't tried this it seems simple. For example they could have had B&B and Little Mermaid just closed they could switched the shows out. Or try something new I always wanted to see Disneys Hercules come to Broadway.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Two things. First, the Club WAS profitable as part of a nightclub complex--it would be again, I imagine, especially with all the publicity of the last two years. Promotion and merchandise would have helped as well.

Second, and I'm sorry to drift into fanboi territory here, but I think anybody who thinks the AdvClub would work as a dinner show never really "got" the Club. Even the best of the shows were corny. What made it work was the informality (or the appearance of informality) and the interaction. A Balderdash Cup when the audience hasn't had the chance to socialize with Hathaway and Otis first out in the Salon just wouldn't work. Nor do things like Babylona or the Yakoose or even Arnie and Claude work when people go in expecting them.
There is not question that the original AC show would not work in a dinner show format and it would have to be re-written to fit it. If I had my way the club would be put back together in its original format but at this point I would be willing to take a re-write just to get the AC back in some manner shape or form.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom