Changes at DTD

wdwfan100

..... Where is that "nail on the head emoticon"?? Exactly!

That's what their doing and it doesn't work.... That's the opposite of Show before efficiency.... That's the Universal way.... That's the six flags way... Anyone can do that... That's not a unique experience, that's cheap and fast.... That's not Disney!

It would appear that is Disney. Sad really. Disney is slowly becoming an industry follower. They should be an innovator. Why not though? If the best you can come up with is 3rd party's to rent out to. Then why not follow the lead of other theme park companies too?

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
imayoyo, you have mentioned AC and soundstage as specifically not returning. Is it safe to say there will be no dance clubs in Downtown Disney?

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
it was safe to say that when they closed them all last year and said they wouldn't be returning.
until the buildings are converted or torn down, it is not safe to say that because if Disney wanted to, they could reopen soundstage, Motion, and AC within a week or two(considering staffing) and mannequins and 8-trax could be rebuilt. Do I think it will happen? No, but until they are gone there is always a chance no matter how small.

Frankly, I want to revitalize church st station, but doing so simply is not safe until those clubs are gone.

jt04

I gather that there has been no press release today either?

If it's true that Disney planned to announce the FL expansion at D23 and that has been lost to a small degree, then perhaps the DTD plans are going to be held back until then to help make up for it. Or perhaps the new VP of DTD wants to reveiw everything first. Just guessing though.

Thrill Seeker

One of my friends, who is a custodian at DTD, told me that apparently Disney is trying to lure Virgin back to DTD to take over their old spot, but Virgin isn't biting. I'd love to see something like a Barns and Nobel take that spot. Throw in a coffee shop and you have a hit on your hands...

RiversideBunny

If they start just putting in a lot of stores and restaurants that are seen everywhere else, too, won't DTD become just another strip mall?

Seems like they need to keep things Disney related and unique, at least to some degree.

:)

jt04

If they start just putting in a lot of stores and restaurants that are seen everywhere else, too, won't DTD become just another strip mall?

Seems like they need to keep things Disney related and unique, at least to some degree.

:)

Yes. We don't need Starbucks, B&N, WalMart or Target. ESPNZone might be nice.

Missing20K

I just had a thought. What about a children's friendly, family-themed, AC type club/dinner show? Make it an adventure based dinner show/club. Something like Medieval Times, but far more interactive, intuitive, and well, fun. A combination of DisneyQuest, and the AC. Basically, an interactive dinner show, aimed at families. With such a large structure, you could even have multiple dining rooms, thus staggering the dinner show start times, and thereby increasing capacity. It could start in a common area, the guests move around a well themed "waiting room" as they interactively chose their dining options, all under the mask of some adventure based game. Everyone then files into the dining room, and based on your choices in the adventure based game earlier, the show changes slightly. Majority rules, with some jokes of acknowledgement for those in the minority choice. You could even have it become more "adult" after say 10 pm. Then, after the last show finishes at say 1130 or 12, it just turns into a lounge area for those adults that have babysitters or the child-less guests looking for nighttime entertainment.

Combine the best aspects of DisneyQuest and the AC, essentially.

jt04

I just had a thought. What about a children's friendly, family-themed, AC type club/dinner show? Make it an adventure based dinner show/club. Something like Medieval Times, but far more interactive, intuitive, and well, fun. A combination of DisneyQuest, and the AC. Basically, an interactive dinner show, aimed at families. With such a large structure, you could even have multiple dining rooms, thus staggering the dinner show start times, and thereby increasing capacity. It could start in a common area, the guests move around a well themed "waiting room" as they interactively chose their dining options, all under the mask of some adventure based game. Everyone then files into the dining room, and based on your choices in the adventure based game earlier, the show changes slightly. Majority rules, with some jokes of acknowledgement for those in the minority choice. You could even have it become more "adult" after say 10 pm. Then, after the last show finishes at say 1130 or 12, it just turns into a lounge area for those adults that have babysitters or the child-less guests looking for nighttime entertainment.

Combine the best aspects of DisneyQuest and the AC, essentially.

WDI could work wonders with such a concept. It was suggested that an "UP" overlay to the AC/BET facilities could function how you suggest. Nice thinking.

Missing20K

WDI could work wonders with such a concept. It was suggested that an "UP" overlay to the AC/BET facilities could function how you suggest. Nice thinking.

Thanks! I agree, WDI could really push the envelope of interactive entertainment, given the budget and motivation. I have yet to see Up, but from what I've heard, it would lend itself well to a children's adventure "club." Maybe like the KimPossible deal at Epcot, but confined to a single venue. I guess we will just have to wait and see what they plan on doing there. :shrug:

I wonder what the chances are of them demolishing any of the existing buildings, or if they will stick just to renovating the spaces.

ImaYoyo

Original Poster
The first press release (note that I mentioned staff changes) already came out. I don't know the timing of the next one. To answer the prior poster, demolition of buildings on the waterfront.

jt04

The first press release (note that I mentioned staff changes) already came out. I don't know the timing of the next one. To answer the prior poster, demolition of buildings on the waterfront.

Is there a "first press release" link?

I can't say I'm suprised about the waterfront buildings. The existing buildings don't take advantage of the water views. I'm certain that will not be a repeated mistake in the new configurations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom