Changes at DTD

Captain Chaos

Right, a store that offers one-of-a-kind collectables and a browser's paradise of rare books, movies and CDs won't pull guests, but the 784th store on property selling plush and HSM T-shirts will.

So, you rather a store that wasn't selling items remain open??? The place closed down for a reason.. Lack of sales... You do realize that stores want you to buy things and not just browse right???

cdunbar

This is a double win

1. One less mediocre club which wasn't close to the experience "AC Crybabies" fantasize it was.

2. One less "Whiner" strolling the grounds of Downtown Disney.

This is great news for plenty of us. "Bold New Vision" works for me. :sohappy:
WOW You threw an insult at Lee, thats brave... stupid... but brave nonetheless...

Biff215

You pushing ESPNZone is getting as old as '74's Walmarting.....and even he hasn't posted anything about that in a while. I'll say it again, WDI could do much better than any ESPNZone, which in reality (not sure if you have ever been to one) really aren't that great. I can't see why third parties would line up just because there is an ESPNZone there. Third parties didn't line up for Virgin, DisneyQuest, Cirque, HoB, AC, et. al. Not too mention you would have to do something with the ESPN club at Boardwalk, I don't think they would want two ESPN branded "attractions."

Perhaps WDI could come up with something better than ESPN Zone, but why should they? It's a proven concept used throughout the country and could be a real draw for not only the West Side but DD as a whole. The ESPN Club doesn't even come close to what the Zone offers, yet stays busy throughout the year. ESPN draws not only sports fans but families who enjoy playing the games as well.

I've been to Zones in Baltimore and Anaheim and enjoyed my experience at both. While it might not be wildly inventive I do believe it's a no-brainer when you consider the huge void Virgin just left. For years there have been rumors that ESPN would replace DisneyQuest, but in this case we could have both. ESPN might win out in the end but they could also compliment each other nicely, especially if a line forms at the Zone and forces people over to DQ.

JMHO. :)

worldfanatic

Perhaps WDI could come up with something better than ESPN Zone, but why should they? It's a proven concept used throughout the country and could be a real draw for not only the West Side but DD as a whole. The ESPN Club doesn't even come close to what the Zone offers, yet stays busy throughout the year. ESPN draws not only sports fans but families who enjoy playing the games as well.

I've been to Zones in Baltimore and Anaheim and enjoyed my experience at both. While it might not be wildly inventive I do believe it's a no-brainer when you consider the huge void Virgin just left. For years there have been rumors that ESPN would replace DisneyQuest, but in this case we could have both. ESPN might win out in the end but they could also compliment each other nicely, especially if a line forms at the Zone and forces people over to DQ.

JMHO. :)

Exactly.
ESPN's draw in people. It's always ed me off that you couldn't find a place to watch a ballgame at Downtown Disney. I remember having to sit at the bar in the BET Soundstage to watch a huge Monday Night Football game on the bartender's tiny behind counter TV. It was literally the only spot in the entire DD area it was on.

The Boardwalk ESPN Club stays busy despite being out-of-the-way for many. ESPN Zone in Anaheim is always busy. I just got back from Chicago and that downtown location was packed on a weekday.

As stated, It's really is a no brainer. Disney owns the rights. People from out of town want to follow their teams. Nowadays sports fans are both men and women, spend money, and often bring their families.

It's more than a restaurant, it an entertainment venue. God knows Downtown Disney needs that right now. Live sports action is always fresh, unlike animatronic dinos or goofballs dressed like Indiana Jones telling the same jokes over and over and over and over.
(Although I still support an AC restaurant)

Keep the ESPN at the Boardwalk and open a larger version in DD. There's definitely enough demand to keep em both hopping.
It'll help DD come alive again. At least that's a start!

Biff215

Exactly.
ESPN's draw in people. It's always ed me off that you couldn't find a place to watch a ballgame at Downtown Disney. I remember having to sit at the bar in the BET Soundstage to watch a huge Monday Night Football game on the bartender's tiny behind counter TV. It was literally the only spot in the entire DD area it was on.

Good point about finding a place to watch a game. I've been in WDW countless times when the Eagles, Phillies, or Flyers were playing, and especially during the playoffs. I don't usually go near the ESPN Club on big game days, as you have to stake our your spot early in the day and commit to staying, which is a lot to give up when you're on vacation. I usually end up in my room watching the game which is especially depressing! :cry:

bugsbunny

Many BIG changes at DTD. Look, layout and feel of areas will change completely. Sorry, ad club and BET gone for good. Look for cool F&B options. Staff changes too.

Change #1 should be to build a REAL bus stop! Until then, the only way I will go to DTD is if I'm staying at Port Orleans and take the boat over. :animwink:

SeaCastle

Good point about finding a place to watch a game. I've been in WDW countless times when the Eagles, Phillies, or Flyers were playing, and especially during the playoffs. I don't usually go near the ESPN Club on big game days, as you have to stake our your spot early in the day and commit to staying, which is a lot to give up when you're on vacation. I usually end up in my room watching the game which is especially depressing! :cry:

What about watching real teams, like the Devils or Giants? :lol:

Thrill Seeker

What I've heard is that Disney is talking about re-locating Mickey's Groove to where Starbilias use to be and a new store would go in it's old location. I worked at Groove for 3 weeks and have to say that would be a huge improvement because then West Side would have a general store with some room rather than the tiny store that is there now. Plus, maybe it will receive a theme this time...

jt04

Exactly.

The Boardwalk ESPN Club stays busy despite being out-of-the-way for many. ESPN Zone in Anaheim is always busy. I just got back from Chicago and that downtown location was packed on a weekday.

As stated, It's really is a no brainer. Disney owns the rights. People from out of town want to follow their teams. Nowadays sports fans are both men and women, spend money, and often bring their families.

It's more than a restaurant, it an entertainment venue. God knows Downtown Disney needs that right now. Live sports action is always fresh, unlike animatronic dinos or goofballs dressed like Indiana Jones telling the same jokes over and over and over and over.
(Although I still support an AC restaurant)

Keep the ESPN at the Boardwalk and open a larger version in DD. There's definitely enough demand to keep em both hopping.
It'll help DD come alive again. At least that's a start!

Agreed. Correct. Exactly. Agreed. Agreed. Yes. Right on. True. Correct. I agree with that. Well said. Correct. Exactly.

There, that should cover it.

Missing20K

Is WDW losing its GRASP :veryconfu Duckberg :brick:

Seems like it to me.

As for the ESPN Zone idea. I'm not totally against it, as my previous post may have implied. My biggest gripe with the idea, however, is that WDI could do something far, far better. Keep the club over at Boardwalk and let WDI create another, more unique sports bar concept. They could create different sports "bars" within the greater concept. Say each area is devoted to a particular game, and all of the fans of each team, are seated in that area. You could even have some changing signage to support each team. Make it feel as though you are watching "your" game, at your "local" bar. Say 6 or 7 "bars", enough for most games, in addition to maybe 2 "neutral" areas for smaller games, families, or those not watching any particular game.

Personally, and I'm a huge sports fan, I haven't found the "Zones" all that appealing. I have been to the Denver location a few times, and while I did have a good time, they aren't the end all, be all, of sports bar entertainment. They are a fun, entertaining option, but to hear people talk of them here, they are the next coming of, oh, I don't know, the AC. :lol: I feel they are a bit too focused on the entertainment (games), than the sports, bar, and food. I go to sports bars to watch sports, drink beer, and eat food, not to play video games. I'd rather have the "locals"-type sports bar concept. The only reason to brand it ESPN, is because of marketing, the awareness already created in the minds of sports fans, and that Disney owns it. (Maybe I'm still just mad I had to watch the Steelers lose two years ago in the playoffs to Jacksonville at the Club.:lol:) Were they to use the ESPN Zone brand, it better be the best darn Zone in America, bigger, badder, and better food. But considering they had a chance with the Club, I'm not holding my breath.

I will say, however, they could use some more capacity for the sports crowd.

More than anything else, I just don't like the idea of seeing something in Disney, that I can see in numerous other locations around the country. It's the same reason I don't enjoy seeing two Rainforest Cafes. Should they put in a Best Buy, Target, Barnes and Noble, or any other chain retail store into the Virgin outlet? I am of the opinion that they should not. But I suppose if it makes Disney money, it's tough to criticize.

Welcome to Downtown Disney, where you can shop in all the stores, and eat in all the restaurants, that you can at home!! :animwink:

EDIT: sorry for the rant, just kind of kept going.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
What I've heard is that Disney is talking about re-locating Mickey's Groove to where Starbilias use to be and a new store would go in it's old location. I worked at Groove for 3 weeks and have to say that would be a huge improvement because then West Side would have a general store with some room rather than the tiny store that is there now. Plus, maybe it will receive a theme this time...

actually I believe if you look at the current map, which showed no starabillas over 2 weeks before it closed, you can see the moving of shops they are planning.

Now where's my button? Ah here it is

"I'm celebrating:
Another empty building at DTD!"

epcot85

Can Disney please just give us a Chick-fil-A? Please? :slurp:

Not exactly on property but you can head to the crossroads shopping center from DTD, take a right at the crossroads shopping center, drive under I-4 and you will see a Chik Fil A about three blocks on your right..

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Here is an idea...Mouse feel free to use it.

All of has one of those one of a kind, mom and pop, hole in the wall restaurants in there town that is simply incredible at what they do. Here in J-ville we have Johnsosn's BBQ on the north side. You order from Ms. Johnson, Mr. Johnson gets your order ready and it is the best BBQ on the planet. We also have a place called Beach Road Chicken. It been around since the 30's, it is an old house, and the chicken and sides are smack your Grand ma down good. The thing is we all have places like this around where we live. Disney would be wise to send out a couple of people (I volunteer my services for this research trip :D) around the country to find several places like this and cut the owners a check for the recipes, name, etc and recreate the restaurant in DTD down to the finish on the floors and the furniture in the dining room. They could even give out the information for the original restaurant (big win win) Done right they will have a huge winner.

Johnson's

Beach Road Chicken

5915685.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom