Changes at DTD

lazyboy97o

Ditto.
And I should point out, in every plan, up to the final one, had the AC remaining. It wasn't until they got antsy at the end that they decided to throw out the baby with the bathwater.
Lee, if you see this in the mess that this thread has become, do you know if there has been any thoughts of bringing back the Club due to "overwhelming fan response" like with Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular and Captain EO. And were the props placed into D Street as a means of trying to placate people, save money, or make the Club's return more difficult?

OFTeric

Lee, if you see this in the mess that this thread has become, do you know if there has been any thoughts of bringing back the Club due to "overwhelming fan response" like with Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular and Captain EO. And were the props placed into D Street as a means of trying to placate people, save money, or make the Club's return more difficult?

The props are all over property. People from different depts went in there, and put their tags on what they wanted. So at special events you might see a few things from the AC, etc.

I am not sure what anyone else has heard, but it seems that the AC is falling from the short term memory of the powers that be.

The only thing that could really bring it back (IN MY OPINON) would be a dedicated fan site/facebook page (numbering in the hundreds of thousands), and holding a few in memorial special events where you rented out a venue on disney property and had people renact the show.

That would be the only thing IN MY OPINON that would truly get upper management to notice.

I personally thought that a few of those special events that were held near the end before it was gutted would help show some viability of the venue, but again the mentality near the end was "dump these venues asap"

Mr. Morrow

Truth is so subjective in the world of neo-science. We never let facts hinder us from saving you from yourself. It's a mostly thankless job but sooner or later we will buy your gratitude. Or else. :xmas:

lol this is funny because you have no facts.

71jason

The only thing that could really bring it back (IN MY OPINON) would be a dedicated fan site/facebook page (numbering in the hundreds of thousands), and holding a few in memorial special events where you rented out a venue on disney property and had people renact the show.

That would be the only thing IN MY OPINON that would truly get upper management to notice.

Sorry, but I have to completely disagree. Things like that would just feed the meme apparently popular among higher-management types that the AdvClub fanbase was a just a couple dozen socially retarded fanbois and fangirls who treated the Club like Rocky Horror but didn't drink.

And again, the AdvClub does not work as a stand-alone venue. The capacity just isn't there. The only way I see it returning in any form--and we're talking miniscule odds--is if TDO realizes they once again need a nightlife district, and decide to include a new, stripped down version of the Club as a way of priming early ticket sales.

71jason

BTW, talk of theoretical 20-year-old DUI epidemics aside, has anyone else actually seen the replacements for Celebrate Tonight?

Not just the living statues--cool, I guess, in a creepy kind of way, though certainly nothing that drives revenue. They've also gone back to the idea of live music acts performing in front of the empty clubs. So far I've seen:

• a middle-age guy with a guitar doing adult contemporary songs--kind of thing you see in any subway in America;
  • two middle-age guys in matching Hawaiian shirts butchering Jimmy Buffet's greatest hits;
  • an overdressed woman and a guy who plays a KEYBOARD GUITAR (!) basically doing a set from a wedding in 1985.
Honestly, they make Celebrate Tonight look like Pirates of the Caribbean in comparison. My pet theory is that the new head of Downtown Disney entertainment was secretly a PI fan and is trying to push DTD toward rock bottom faster so TDO is forced to reopen a couple clubs. Because the only alternative I can come up with is that the woman is completely lacking in both business sense and musical taste.

stlbobby

BTW, talk of theoretical 20-year-old DUI epidemics aside, has anyone else actually seen the replacements for Celebrate Tonight?

Not just the living statues--cool, I guess, in a creepy kind of way, though certainly nothing that drives revenue. They've also gone back to the idea of live music acts performing in front of the empty clubs. So far I've seen:

• a middle-age guy with a guitar doing adult contemporary songs--kind of thing you see in any subway in America;
  • two middle-age guys in matching Hawaiian shirts butchering Jimmy Buffet's greatest hits;
  • an overdressed woman and a guy who plays a KEYBOARD GUITAR (!) basically doing a set from a wedding in 1985.
Honestly, they make Celebrate Tonight look like Pirates of the Caribbean in comparison. My pet theory is that the new head of Downtown Disney entertainment was secretly a PI fan and is trying to push DTD toward rock bottom faster so TDO is forced to reopen a couple clubs. Because the only alternative I can come up with is that the woman is completely lacking in both business sense and musical taste.

I think it might be that these were cheap and easy to secure acts.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Sorry, but I have to completely disagree. Things like that would just feed the meme apparently popular among higher-management types that the AdvClub fanbase was a just a couple dozen socially retarded fanbois and fangirls who treated the Club like Rocky Horror but didn't drink.

And again, the AdvClub does not work as a stand-alone venue. The capacity just isn't there. The only way I see it returning in any form--and we're talking miniscule odds--is if TDO realizes they once again need a nightlife district, and decide to include a new, stripped down version of the Club as a way of priming early ticket sales.
The only way I see it coming back and being profitable would be in a dinner show format similar to Hoop or Spirit of Aloha.

gmajew

I use to go to downtown disney when I was in town for conventions etc and it was a good place for a night with the co-workers. Since then the restaurant quality stinks and the entertainment options stink! Hey the shopping is shopping and some of the shows are good but this is an area that really has lost focus. In my eyes more then any other property.

OFTeric

well fair enough....hence I said my opinion. lol But also agree with the Dinner Show format... I know I have often sat a table in the AC wishing I could order some cheese fries. lol

wizards8507

What if the Imagineers got in on the act of the reimaging of Downtown Disney? I'm talking the mother-of-all-themed-bar-areas.

Possibilities include:

Mos Eisley Cantina (Star Wars)
Tortuga (Pirate of the Caribbean)

Okay when I started typing I expected my list to be much longer. Fail. Still though...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
What if the Imagineers got in on the act of the reimaging of Downtown Disney? I'm talking the mother-of-all-themed-bar-areas.

Possibilities include:

Okay when I started typing I expected my list to be much longer. Fail. Still though...
One concept I had, which WDI is welcome to use, was to recreate a series of those one of a kind, hole in the wall, mom and pop restaurants from around the country. Think diners, drive ins and dives at WDW.

jt04

Oddly enough, he's also claimed to live overseas and to be a WDW local. :rolleyes:

I did? Huh :shrug:

Maybe he lives in the German Pavilion.

Maybe.

I thought he lived in Arizona

New Mexico. But not anymore.

lol this is funny because you have no facts.

And you can prove that I suppose? :lol:

It most certainly could if done right. They would have to do rotating shows but it could work.

The idea that Disney will be going back into the "clubs" business, at least at DTD is at best misguided. The marketplace is more popular than ever even during a hideous economy. They are not going to alienate all that hard earned goodwill by reopening the clubs.

Possibilities include:

Excellent idea. Add a dinner show, reopen the AC and the CW and there you go. I think an ever popular "dueling pianos" show would work in the former mannequins. Improv in the CW.

Simple.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom