Changes at DTD

jt04

If the people who had made the initial plan had remained in place and not gone on to different positions inside and outside the company, I really believe PI would have been a much better place. Some of the proposals that were floated around by potential investors were pretty swanky (in 2004), but now would be lame since almost all those ideas ended up in Vegas, or Miami.

Oh yeah, it is definitely working. :drevil:

71jason

Had Disney made this move a few years earlier we more than likely not be having this conversation.

I disagree. The move would have been dumb even in boom times. You simply were not going to find 6 or 8 "Sand Lake Road"-like restaurants to move into PI. The demographics just don't support it. If they did, HoB, Bongos and Pucks would have done gang-busters all along and there would have been no need to tear down the turnstiles at PI to increase traffic to the West Side. Keep in mind, those "grown-up" restaurants were having trouble even when PI was pulling sizable adult crowds to the area.

Even the back-up plan of of a "Schussel Restaurant Row" seems dubious. T-Rex cannibalized crowds from RFC. Put in "Winter Wonderland," "Motorcycle Cafe" and "Thinly Disguised Harry Potter Rip-Off", they would just cannibalize crowds from T-Rex.

Management (I've heard Kevin Lansberry specifically) misjudged the diffrences between Anaheim and Orlando. What works there will not necessarily work here. At the same time, they had no idea of the loyal following the clubs, in particular one Club, had among hard-core Disney fans.

Krack

If the people who had made the initial plan had remained in place and not gone on to different positions inside and outside the company, I really believe PI would have been a much better place. Some of the proposals that were floated around by potential investors were pretty swanky (in 2004), but now would be lame since almost all those ideas ended up in Vegas, or Miami.

I still think Disney blows it almost every time they concede control to an outside vendor; at least in their "long term thinking" phase (1955-94ish). Sadly, recently, outside companies have been able to exceed current Disney quality on occasion.

Master Gracey

Here JT, a nickels worth of free advice. . .

JTDigging.jpg

Though I think this message has come too late. I believe you have found a way to dig through the Earth and continue up into the Stratosphere!

Ingrate? What have you provided on this thread that I (or anyone else for that matter) have to be grateful for: Unfounded conspiracy theories, refusal to back up these theories with any proof and/or evidence and long winded "I'm smarter than everyone else" rants? These items, I'm certain we can all live without!

Some days you eat the mouse.
Some days the mouse eats you.
But never give into the mouse without a fight!

KUNGALOOSH!

OFTeric

I disagree. The move would have been dumb even in boom times. You simply were not going to find 6 or 8 "Sand Lake Road"-like restaurants to move into PI. The demographics just don't support it. If they did, HoB, Bongos and Pucks would have done gang-busters all along and there would have been no need to tear down the turnstiles at PI to increase traffic to the West Side. Keep in mind, those "grown-up" restaurants were having trouble even when PI was pulling sizable adult crowds to the area.

Management (I've heard Kevin Lansberry specifically) misjudged the diffrences between Anaheim and Orlando. What works there will not necessarily work here. At the same time, they had no idea of the loyal following the clubs, in particular one Club, had among hard-core Disney fans.

You are right, but if you remember to when the plan was first proposed which was a bit before Kevin held the reigns to DTD, it was all about chic clubs, not restaurants. The whole idea was that there had to be a product differentiator between Westside, PI and Market Place.

Krack

Astute observation. Anaheim locals treat the Disneyland Resort like going to the shopping mall. It's not unusual to just hop in the car and head over there for dinner and drinks and to watch the fireworks on a Friday night. On the otherhand, Pleasure Island's usefulness was from it being the only venue on property for adults to blow off steam with no children around. Further, since most WDW guests are vacationing on an extended visit, they are not going to be interested in restaurants and eateries they can find at their local shopping mall (RFC) - they are paying a premium for unique experiences (AC, CW).

wizards8507

Astute observation. Anaheim locals treat the Disneyland Resort like going to the shopping mall. It's not unusual to just hop in the car and head over there for dinner and drinks and to watch the fireworks on a Friday night. On the otherhand, Pleasure Island's usefulness was from it being the only venue on property for adults to blow off steam with no children around. Further, since most WDW guests are vacationing on an extended visit, they are not going to be interested in restaurants and eateries they can find at their local shopping mall (RFC) - they are paying a premium for unique experiences (AC, CW).

Agree with everything except for that last bit. Rainforest Cafe has hour long waits routinely.

jt04

Ingrate? What have you provided on this thread that I (or anyone else for that matter) have to be grateful for: Unfounded conspiracy theories, refusal to back up these theories with any proof and/or evidence and long winded "I'm smarter than everyone else" rants? These items, I'm certain we can all live without!

KUNGALOOSH!

You obviously fail to grasp all that is being done for you by those who know better. :wave:

OFTeric

How much life does Planet Hollywood have left ???

It has been keeping the brand alive. Thanks to the licensing deal in Vegas the brand won't die in the event that the Orlando location closes.

I highly doubt that it will/would close anytime in the near future. It still manages to seat guests and turn tables.

It has been keeping the brand alive. Thanks to the licensing deal in Vegas the brand won't die in the event that the Orlando location closes.

I highly doubt that it will/would close anytime in the near future. It still manages to seat guests and turn tables.
Actually, a $15 hambuger probably looks better not than a $10 hamburger did 15 years ago since we are now in such lean times.

71jason

How much life does Planet Hollywood have left ???

They seem to make a LOT of money off of tour groups--Brazilian, high school marching band, what-have-you. I assume some sort of package deal is offered. It probably also benefits from being the only truly family-friendly restaurant west of Marketplace in terms of ambiance and price.

Master Gracey

You obviously fail to grasp all that is being done for you by those who know better. :wave:

It just so happens that I have always looked upon authority with contempt. Thankfully, you are not a threat!

KUNGALOOSH!

jt04

It just so happens that I have always looked upon authority with contempt. Thankfully, you are not a threat!

KUNGALOOSH!

Well that is certainly true.

OK, gotta log out for the night. There is a "Dog" marathon on A&E tonight. :sohappy:

jakeman

From everything that I have heard your description of what happened is spot on. The #1 reason that PI is in the state that it is in is crappy timing. Had Disney made this move a few years earlier we more than likely not be having this conversation.

Ditto.
And I should point out, ivory plan, up to the final one, had the AC remaining. It wasn't until they got antsy at the end that they decided to throw out the baby with the bathwater.
Amazing how simple the explanation is, isn't it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom