Changes at DTD

scpergj

Yes, Jt, everyone and everything are conspiring against you and your insipid theories.....

Or, it could just be that at practically every turn you've ended up being wrong. Another conspiracy, I suppose....

Still waiting on the mods, by the way...

I have a theory, too...

jt got a DUI after a few too many at the AC and spend the next 90 days in the county jail getting to know Billy Bob really, really well. He's been on a crusade ever since...

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I have a theory, too...

jt got a DUI after a few too many at the AC and spend the next 90 days in the county jail getting to know Billy Bob really, really well. He's been on a crusade ever since...

Yeah...he does sound a little like a mad mother.

Mouse Detective

This is a great video, just a little material for plan B at PI. I think I saw a few of the people who must have took a tinky in JT's cheerios at the end of the video. lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiSigCeTXUM

Other than the final weekend, PI was not crazy-crowded during the final years. But it's no wonder. No advertising, no money put back into the facilities, opening the place up to people passing through, eliminating the stages and bands, closing shops and food; the list goes on and on about how they purposely ruined the place, all to justify closing it.

mrbghd

i think they should reopen ac and comedy place somewhere. adults love that stuff. disney is lacking in that department. i remember when i went my jr. year of hs i loved those two place.s i couldnt wait til i was 18 and 21...but then it closed. i was sad. but seriously i remember hearing how much parents loved it. now they go to universal city walk lol. i hope they bring cool dining places. also new experience...maybe a place for teens and young adults to mingle..and then one for older folks. also i think there needs to be some activities for kids.

And this was the problem with PI, when they dropped the over 21 requirement. No adult wants to hang out at a club with high school juniors. (well maybe some do but that's a different forum maybe) When they started letting kids in the place was doomed.

jt04

Yeah...he does sound a little like a mad mother.

Well there is a new one. :lol:

Speaking of, I bet the local MADD chapter may have some info on this subject.

And judging by the hyper-emotional defensiveness and over reaction to my little inquiry, I'd say there is more to this story than I would have ever imagined.

lazyboy97o

And judging by the hyper-emotional defensiveness and over reaction to my little inquiry, I'd say there is more to this story than I would have ever imagined.
How exactly is asking for proof, and yes, the accepted practice is that the burden of proof is on the one making the accusation, "hyper-emotional defensiveness"? Because we do not just believe whatever you say?

Duckberg

DTD July Announcement

SO, is there supposed to be some official announcement this JULY 2010 from WDW on the direction of DTD :veryconfu Duckberg PS HAPPY 4th of JULY :sohappy::D :wave:

jakeman

LOL - looks like some people are slowly figuring out Mouse Management plants stories ("Drunk drivers ruined Pleasure Island") in order to justify decisions made for other reasons. If you believe Disney wrecked the original Pleasure Island because it was afraid of drunk drivers, then I have a sinkhole under Horizons to sell you.
Wow...really?

If you believe that Disney is engaged in conspiracy with the media to closed down PI then I have some more tinfoil for your hat to sell you.

Never attribute malicious intent to what can be explained by stupidity.

Master Gracey

If you believe that Disney is engaged in conspiracy with the media to closed down PI then I have some more tinfoil for your hat to sell you.

Well, I don't know about Disney conspiring with the media, but we do know that they fudged their survey results. Their had been more than one eyewitness to the Disney Surveyists only talking to families with children to ask them if they would like to see night clubs or more shopping and dinning on Pleasure Island.

Some days you eat the mouse.
Some days the mouse eats you.
But never give into the mouse without a fight!

KUNGALOOSH!

SeaCastle

Well, I don't know about Disney conspiring with the media, but we do know that they fudged their survey results. Their had been more than one eyewitness to the Disney Surveyists only talking to families with children to ask them if they would like to see night clubs or more shopping and dinning on Pleasure Island.

Some days you eat the mouse.
Some days the mouse eats you.
But never give into the mouse without a fight!

KUNGALOOSH!

When did they start letting kids into PI? Pleasure Island wasn't meant for them. Maybe if children weren't admitted to the island then you wouldn't have parents complaining it wasn't family friendly. :rolleyes:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
When did they start letting kids into PI? Pleasure Island wasn't meant for them. Maybe if children weren't admitted to the island then you wouldn't have parents complaining it wasn't family friendly. :rolleyes:

IIRC, it was when the West Side of DTD was built and it was more difficult to get families to walk all the way around PI, so they let them through, to get to the east side.

PI was partially a victim of bad planning of the West Side, IMO

I've been around PI late at night and seen adults acting in ways I wouldn't expect at WDW so I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if some of these people who were clearly overwhelmed by their alcohol attempted to drive home. I'm only 19 so I can't really benefit from PI but it's sad to see empty space in Downtown Disney. Whatever they have planned I hope they can at least start to move stuff in it's place soon.

lazyboy97o

IIRC, it was when the West Side of DTD was built and it was more difficult to get families to walk all the way around PI, so they let them through, to get to the east side.

PI was partially a victim of bad planning of the West Side, IMO
I agree. If you look at the offerings of the West Side, they are much more adult oriented than the Marketplace. The big family attractions, DisneyQuest and La Nouba, used to be accesable by the West Side bus depot, but that meant families were not walking past the other shops in the West Side, or they had that long walk back to the Marketplace.

71jason

Other than the final weekend, PI was not crazy-crowded during the final years. But it's no wonder. No advertising, no money put back into the facilities, opening the place up to people passing through, eliminating the stages and bands, closing shops and food; the list goes on and on about how they purposely ruined the place, all to justify closing it.

I agree, but I think it's telling that the last time (again, before final weekend) PI was crazy busy was when they did the "Carpe PM" promotion (Spring or 2007 or 2008). By advertising locally, and giving locals a deal on tickets--$25 bought a "half year" AP, not sure how many locals even knew you could buy an AP--they really built up some nice crowds.

Mouse Detective

I agree, but I think it's telling that the last time (again, before final weekend) PI was crazy busy was when they did the "Carpe PM" promotion (Spring or 2007 or 2008). By advertising locally, and giving locals a deal on tickets--$25 bought a "half year" AP, not sure how many locals even knew you could buy an AP--they really built up some nice crowds.

I think "Carpe PM" was way back in 2004 or so, not as recent as 07-08. That was their last "real" advertising campaign. I do remember that promotion in 06 or 07 when you could buy one night and get about 3 months additional free. That didn't get a lot of advertising to support it though, at least not that I can remember.

Carpe PM dates to at least 2002 perhaps as far back as 2000.

I've been around PI late at night and seen adults acting in ways I wouldn't expect at WDW so I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if some of these people who were clearly overwhelmed by their alcohol attempted to drive home.

I have seen adults like this at Epcot, Studios and DAK also. Perhaps we should close them too!

Krack

Wow...really?

Never attribute malicious intent to what can be explained by stupidity.

It's not a conspiracy with the media. It's upper management feeding false information to its underlings.

Disney wants to get rid of Horizons. They do it. Horizons fans immediately get upset. Many ask frontline cast members why Disney would do something like that. After being asked enough, these cast members ask their managers ... who ask their supervisors (and so on and so on). Knowing "Because sponsors wanted something new" won't cut it as an answer, "Because there's a gigantic sinkhole underneath the building and it was going to force the building to be demolished for safety concerns" gets whispered back down the chain instead.

Then, everytime "Why would Disney be stupid enough to remove Horizons?" gets brought up in conversation (and message boards, etc), we get to have someone come into the thread and incorrectly state "Everyone knows there was a sinkhole underneath the ride and Disney had no choice".

The original Pleasure Island was doing fine. Disney's management got greedy, never really understood why it was popular in the first place and botched the whole thing. Now we have a ghost town.

Ding. Ding. Ding.

jakeman

It's not a conspiracy with the media. It's upper management feeding false information to its underlings.

Disney wants to get rid of Horizons. They do it. Horizons fans immediately get upset. Many ask frontline cast members why Disney would do something like that. After being asked enough, these cast members ask their managers ... who ask their supervisors (and so on and so on). Knowing "Because sponsors wanted something new" won't cut it as an answer, "Because there's a gigantic sinkhole underneath the building and it was going to force the building to be demolished for safety concerns" gets whispered back down the chain instead.

Then, everytime "Why would Disney be stupid enough to remove Horizons?" gets brought up in conversation (and message boards, etc), we get to have someone come into the thread and incorrectly state "Everyone knows there was a sinkhole underneath the ride and Disney had no choice".
Was this thread about PI or about an attraction that has been closed the better part of a decade?

The original Pleasure Island was doing fine. Disney's management got greedy, never really understood why it was popular in the first place and botched the whole thing. Now we have a ghost town.
Pleasure Island hadn't been doing well for the better part of a decade before they put it out of it's misery.

That was management's doing for sure, but to say they didn't understand what they had is bollocks.

They didn't know how to adapt it to the changing times (as has already been stated). That is two completely different animals.

The whole wise message board fan > silly stupid management is tired. Trotting out the management as whipping boy routine show a lack of critical thinking and bandwagoning.

PI is a mess, but it is a mess because of a string of social changes (unavoidable) and systematic choices by management (avoidable) killed it.

This situation can't be compare to Horizons in any way. They haven't fed anyone any false information.

jt04

How exactly is asking for proof, and yes, the accepted practice is that the burden of proof is on the one making the accusation, "hyper-emotional defensiveness"? Because we do not just believe whatever you say?

I didn't make any specific accusations. I was just curious about the lack of information. There could be a very simple explanation. :shrug:

Was this thread about PI or about an attraction that has been closed the better part of a decade?

Pleasure Island hadn't been doing well for the better part of a decade before they put it out of it's misery.

That was management's doing for sure, but to say they didn't understand what they had is bollocks.

They didn't know how to adapt it to the changing times (as has already been stated). That is two completely different animals.

The whole wise message board fan > silly stupid management is tired. Trotting out the management as whipping boy routine show a lack of critical thinking and bandwagoning.

PI is a mess, but it is a mess because of a string of social changes (unavoidable) and systematic choices by management (avoidable) killed it.

This situation can't be compare to Horizons in any way. They haven't fed anyone any false information.

Though we probably don't agree often we are kindred spirits when it comes to being suspicious of bandwagons, uncritical thinking, and associated group think.

99% of what I post here is to challange all of these. After the PI announcements, that I expect soon, I'll be moving on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom