Changes at DTD

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
A Jedi you are NOT!

(obviously)

I know I'm right. That is all that matters. You are the one who claime the data base would have the information. You are the one who should provide the proof. As I said, they are not comprehensive. Not even close.

I am however.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
A Jedi you are NOT!

(obviously)

I know I'm right. That is all that matters. You are the one who claime the data base would have the information. You are the one who should provide the proof. As I said, they are not comprehensive. Not even close.

And because after all, a lack of proof is often proof in of itself....:brick:

(Oh dear, there I went again. Better report this post, Jt.)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
A Jedi you are NOT!

(obviously)

Were you holding your breath and stamping your feet when you said that?

You maintain that it is missing stories, not me, if it is prove it.

Lee

Adventurer
Nothing has ever happened bad at the mouse house pre internet, at least as far as that data base goes.
Oh, c'mon jt....
These were just the easy ones to look up.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1989-12-06/news/8912062775_1_goofy-hat-wallet-sweatshirt
Man robbed at gunpoint while standing at a urinal at Tomorrowland Terrace.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1993-08-14/news/9308140968_1_magic-kingdom-tram-stop-woman-left
Woman Stabs 2 Visitors In Disney World Parking Lot

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1990-06-21/news/9006210617_1_stroud-osceola-county-sheriff-abduction
Woman abducted near PI.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1995-05-17/news/9505170076_1_disney-world-epcot-ride-module
Girl dies on Body Wars.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1992-09-13/news/9209130192_1_epcot-man-fatally-shoots-solomons
Man shoots himself in front of JII.

wizards8507

Test it for your own bad self. As I said, nothing bad happens at the mouse house pre internet. There is nothing to see here, move along.

In February 1974, a monorail train crashed into the train ahead. One driver and two passengers were injured

On August 11, 1977, a 4-year-old boy drowned in the moat surrounding Cinderella Castle. The family sued Disney for US$4 million and won; however, the jury found the plaintiffs 50% liable for allowing the boy to climb over a fence while playing and reduced the award to US$1.5 million.

A 1981 case tried a cast member who was playing Winnie the Pooh in 1978. It was alleged that he slapped a child and caused bruising, recurring headaches and possible brain damage. The cast member testified that the girl was tugging at his costume from behind. When he turned around, he accidentally struck the girl in her ear. At one point, the cast member entered the courtroom in the Pooh costume and responded to questions while on the witness stand as Pooh would.

To quote Willy Wonka, "YOU LOSE!"

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Sorry everyone, Jt's too busy to reply right now- he's reporting all of us to the moderators..:ROFLOL:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Sorry everyone, Jt's too busy to reply right now- he's reporting all of us to the moderators..:ROFLOL:
That should take awhile after all I found a database that he claimed did not exist in about 45 seconds. It could take weeks for him to figure out how to report a post.

Timmay

Time to move along folks, and stop waisting your time with JT.

He made an assertion about certain happenings surrounding PI, but can't prove it. The burden is on him, yet he will continue to drag you into the pit by saying it is up to you to prove it didn't happen, which of course is impossible.

So, feel free to keep banging your head against the wall...but really, the sooner he is ignored, or put on ignore, the sooner he will go away.

Master Gracey

. . .And nobody has written a book on the history of PI yet. :rolleyes:

Actually, occasional poster Master Gracie has. :cool: Long story...

I sure did! Its got purdy pictures and everything! :lol:

"Newspapers do have databases back that far on the internet but all negative material about Disney has been removed from them"

Master Yoda, we all know that only a Jedi can remove information from the database. How could you be so cruel as to temporarily remove all the nagative Disney stories so JT couldn't find them, but allowing Lee and Wizards8507 to find the material and prove him wrong. . . again! :animwink:

jakeman

A 1981 case tried a cast member who was playing Winnie the Pooh in 1978. It was alleged that he slapped a child and caused bruising, recurring headaches and possible brain damage. The cast member testified that the girl was tugging at his costume from behind. When he turned around, he accidentally struck the girl in her ear. At one point, the cast member entered the courtroom in the Pooh costume and responded to questions while on the witness stand as Pooh would.
Um...is there video of this...:lookaroun

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Master Yoda, we all know that only a Jedi can remove information from the database. How could you be so cruel as to temporarily remove all the nagative Disney stories so JT couldn't find them, but allowing Lee and Wizards8507 to find the material and prove him wrong. . . again! :animwink:
There are times when I like to channel the dark side.:drevil:

lazyboy97o

That is what you should find most interesting. Namely the fact there is utter silence from those on these boards that remember the first couple years PI was opened and are aware of the issues. Remember, this was before the internet. That is why the cotroversial aspects of PI have easily been omitted from the conversation .The majority of folks on these boards were probably not even born yet. Most Disney employees from those days have moved on. Secondly, things have changed radically since those days from a legal standpoint. Now the law is clear, establishments that serve people past a certain point can be held accountable for the actions of those patrons. That, I believe, is the single biggest factor that brought down the original PI way of doing things. There is NO WAY Disney could serve that much alcohol to that many people in such an uncontrolled way without serious legal implications. in this day and age.

Even Citywalk does not push the alcohol like PI did in the early days. It is not complicated as to why. It would be illegal these days and rightfully so.
There you go changing your story. The early years of Pleasure Island and any problems that may have happened then had no bearing on the complex's closure nearly two decades after its opening. Drunk driving problems in the late 1980s and early 1990s would not affect a decision in the late 2000s.

a

I've already searched that data base. It's convienently incomplete.

Nothing has ever happened bad at the mouse house pre internet, at least as far as that data base goes.

Test it for your own bad self. As I said, nothing bad happens at the mouse house pre internet. There is nothing to see here, move along.
The fire on Monorail Silver is very easy to find using the archives search.
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/orlandosentinel/results.html?st=basic&QryTxt=monorail+fire

Here is an archives search for "Pleasure Island" with the oldest articles appearing first.
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/orlando...t=basic&QryTxt="pleasure+island"&sortby=CHRON

jt04

There you go changing your story. The early years of Pleasure Island and any problems that may have happened then had no bearing on the complex's closure nearly two decades after its opening. Drunk driving problems in the late 1980s and early 1990s would not affect a decision in the late 2000s.

I never said that is why it closed. Just one of the many reasons. It was always a flawed concept with multiple problems.

The fire on Monorail Silver is very easy to find using the archives search.
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/orlandosentinel/results.html?st=basic&QryTxt=monorail+fire

Here is an archives search for "Pleasure Island" with the oldest articles appearing first.
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/orlando...t=basic&QryTxt="pleasure+island"&sortby=CHRON

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
1. The only club with any electronics in it at all is Motion. All others are stripped. BET was stripped last year around september or Oct I believe.
2. CW promotes alcohol just as much as any other establishment. They now have a jello shot bar or something of that nature.
3. yes, heads should roll at this decision. Hopefully Tom Staggs steps in and fixes this mess.

The reality is that when PI was around, most(but not all) people could take Disney transportation to their hotel, therefore NOT driving drunk. There was also very heavy police presence around especially when it was 2am. Now people have to drive 10+ miles to get anywhere decent and drive back.

JT I agree with many that you're not providing much proof, but we have also agreed in the past that if there were a combination of clubs and family friendly things and the clubs were less in number, it could work, the same as it could work to simply bypass the island with a walk way. They could have done that, but poor planning of the WS created turned PI into a problem. When it stood on its own it was fine.

Will they admit the mistake? no, but I believe Red Coconut Club at CW is considered an "ultra lounge" when in fact it's simply a dance club. They could reopen comedy warehouse and AC, then rebrand 8-trax and Mannequins as ultra lounges and make it successful. 2 clubs, 2 comedy places, and then tear down RRBC and Motion and built whatever lame eateries they want. Culvers anyone:ROFLOL:

A question for all of you out there though...do any of you know of a woman who was in charge of the DTD area or PI area other than Meg Crofton being in her position? I was told by a source that it was actually a woman who made the decision, but it wasn't Meg and I know the VP and other exec of DTD were both men.

jt04

1. The only club with any electronics in it at all is Motion. All others are stripped. BET was stripped last year around september or Oct I believe.
2. CW promotes alcohol just as much as any other establishment. They now have a jello shot bar or something of that nature.
3. yes, heads should roll at this decision. Hopefully Tom Staggs steps in and fixes this mess.

The reality is that when PI was around, most(but not all) people could take Disney transportation to their hotel, therefore NOT driving drunk. There was also very heavy police presence around especially when it was 2am. Now people have to drive 10+ miles to get anywhere decent and drive back.

JT I agree with many that you're not providing much proof, but we have also agreed in the past that if there were a combination of clubs and family friendly things and the clubs were less in number, it could work, the same as it could work to simply bypass the island with a walk way. They could have done that, but poor planning of the WS created turned PI into a problem. When it stood on its own it was fine.

Will they admit the mistake? no, but I believe Red Coconut Club at CW is considered an "ultra lounge" when in fact it's simply a dance club. They could reopen comedy warehouse and AC, then rebrand 8-trax and Mannequins as ultra lounges and make it successful. 2 clubs, 2 comedy places, and then tear down RRBC and Motion and built whatever lame eateries they want. Culvers anyone:ROFLOL:

A question for all of you out there though...do any of you know of a woman who was in charge of the DTD area or PI area other than Meg Crofton being in her position? I was told by a source that it was actually a woman who made the decision, but it wasn't Meg and I know the VP and other exec of DTD were both men.

I like your ideas.

Since you seem to have some historical knowledge of PI I will ask you. I specifically remember news reports of a rash of accidents in the PI area within two years of it's opening and the ensuing mini media frenzy. I remember the city of Orlando, public safety and the police being part of the story. Yet I can't find the stories in the OrSen archives and I certainly don't have the money to acess them in depth to determine if they truly have been scrubbed. Does this bring back any details in your memory or anyone else out there old enough to remember? One accident killed 4 and another took place near where the PI gas station is now but that is the only details I remember. I believe there was another fatal just off property about the same time. Again I can't find the stories but maybe I'm not using the search engine properly. :veryconfu

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom