Changes at DTD

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Regardless of why they shuttered PI, the problem is now that it has been two years, where are we headed? There has been no news about it, there does not seem to be any plan at all. It is a very frustrating limbo right now.

imagineer boy

Regardless of why they shuttered PI, the problem is now that it has been two years, where are we headed? There has been no news about it, there does not seem to be any plan at all. It is a very frustrating limbo right now.

Agreed. This seriously has to be one of the most short sighted decisions in Disney management history.:brick:

SeaCastle

TDO Hall of Fame:

lights_of_winter_holland.jpg

3641594309_5d0ae1e8af_b.jpg

yeti.jpg

jessica_pisign_holland.jpg

Krack

And I also think that some of our resident historians silence indicates there is some deeper reason there seems to be an information blackout. Perhaps there is ongoing litigation. I don't know :veryconfu

Perhaps their silence indicates their unwillingness to explain for the 247th time that Pleasure Island was shut down because management believed they could make more money (in the short term) by leasing the land to 3rd party vendors at the expense of the unique guest experience.

jt04

Perhaps their silence indicates their unwillingness to explain for the 247th time that Pleasure Island was shut down because management believed they could make more money (in the short term) by leasing the land to 3rd party vendors at the expense of the unique guest experience.

My point is that past experience may be having an impact on the future direction of the island formerly known as PI. I think it would probably be irresponsible for them not to consider all the lessons learned along the way. And there have been an overwhelming number of problems since about opening day.

jt04

Yet there's no evidence of this anywhere. I ask again, where are these drunk driving stories?

I was refering to the bifurcation and retheme of the original marketplace. But the anti-social behavior issues are another factor without doubt.

overdrive

My point is that past experience may be having an impact on the future direction of the island formerly known as PI. I think it would probably be irresponsible for them not to consider all the lessons learned along the way. And there have been an overwhelming number of problems since about opening day.

Formerly known as PI, when did they change the name? Last time I was there it was still Pleasure Island even though it was the way JT likes it, without any pleasure going on.

Mouse Detective

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. There are no "drunk driving" stories. I freely admit they mostly made the drunk driving stuff up out of thin air, although from time to time it has showed up on message boards and fan sites as an excuse - for example:
http://www.mouseplanet.com/7158/Downtown_Disney_Dilemma
However, the "roaming gangs of teenagers" and "general drunken and rowdy (unDisneylike) behavior" claims have been around forever (since the island was made free to the public) as excuses to close up Pleasure Island.

Krack, thanks for sharing that article. It's an excellent summary (and I think very accurate one) of how the situation got to where they then made the decision to close everything. Of course the better decision would have been to re-gate the island!

Disney seriously screwed up with its closure of the clubs. The "bold new vision" was the hope that third party operators would be willing to sign leases for the newly vacated spaces. A prudent businessman would have at least waited until some deals were in place They grossly over estimated the desirability and perceived value of Downtown Disney. All signs of mismanagement if you ask me.

I recall reading on the PI blog about a year ago that a lease for Rock'nRoll beach club was offered and it sold almost immediately. This was before the recession but it got DTD officials thinking that they had a hot commodity on their hands. So they moved forward with the closing announcement, thinking everything would get snapped up. The recession then went into high gear, the RRBC purchaser (leasor?) backed out as did other interested parties for the other places.....and the empty island is now part of history.

But why-o-why won't they just admit that it was a mistake and reopen at least some of the places!!

Timmay

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is pretty much all there is to it. If any person actually believes Disney shut something down and they were raking in a ton of cash from it has suffered a serious bump on their coconut as a child or just wants to argue for the sake of having something to do.

Bottom line...Disney is a company, and money is everything!!

Ohhhh, look!!! My 1000 post. Let's break out a bottle and get lit...oh, wait...

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I was refering to the bifurcation and retheme of the original marketplace. But the anti-social behavior issues are another factor without doubt.

There was no bifurcation of the original Marketplace. The West Side didn't exist before Pleasure Island.

Pleasure Island beget West Side...not the other way around.

jakeman

Keep believing this; it doesn't make it true. Let me know when you find all the articles about drunk driving at Pleasure Island. The ghost town is far preferable and more successful than Pleasure Island circa 1994. :rolleyes:
You are taking one poster's assumptions and accusations and applying them to a systematic conspiracy involving several levels of Disney management and independent webmasters.

I don't really care about the articles or proof one way or another. All I'm saying is your misinformation conspiracy is about as sane as jt04's drunk driving, Disney hates grown up explanation. They both have a little bit of truth, but are about as blown out of proportion as something can get.

Again, don't assume malice or conspiracy with what can be explained with shortsightedness and stupidity.

However, your fanboy high horse is awesome to look at.

jakeman

pot calling the kettle black! :lol:
Please elaborate.

I'm not on any high horse here. I've only pointed out that both sides of the discussion regarding the reason for the closure of PI and response by Disney have spiraled into the realm of incredulity.

The reasons for PI closure is well documented and doesn't fall into the realm of the extremes that jt04 is ascribing. Additionally, simple logic regarding the timeline of events at PI would lead most reasonable people to the same conclusion.

In the same vein, Krack insistance that a multi-tier misinformation campaign is being purported throughout most levels of Disney management based on jt04's singular assumptions graces the opposing side of the spectrum.

The truth, as I interpret it, is that Disney no longer wanted to be in the night club business for various reasons and made a series of decisions which judgement of timing was questionable.

As it stands now, the above explanation would not suffice guest that may ask so said guest are being told that a new experience is being developed.

Drunken floozies aren't driving hot rods into daycares after PI closes nor is Bob Iger sitting in a highback office chair petting a snow white cat while making up lies about PI.

As I understand it, the truth is rather boring.

Krack

Again, don't assume malice or conspiracy with what can be explained with shortsightedness and stupidity.

However, your fanboy high horse is awesome to look at.

Oh really? Let's hear your explanation of why, to this day, people believe Horizons was necessarily closed because of structural building concerns caused by a gigantic sinkhole.

In the same vein, Krack insistance that a multi-tier misinformation campaign is being purported throughout most levels of Disney management based on jt04's singular assumptions graces the opposing side of the spectrum.

Who said it was "multi-tier"? Somewhere in the chain of command, management lied to its immediate underlings, who subsequently passed what they believed to be truthful information to their underlings and then eventually the guests; very easy to accomplish with a small set of people.

jakeman

Oh really? Let's hear your explanation of why, to this day, people believe Horizons was necessarily closed because of structural building concerns caused by a gigantic sinkhole.
I don't believe this thread has anything to do with Horizons.

But, keep fighting the good fight! Disney will listen and bow to your ways! You encompass all that is right with EPCOT Center! It's spirit will live on!

Oh wait...you are posting on a message board about an attraction that closed for the last time over a decade ago and desperately trying to shoehorn your simmering angst into a completely irrelevant discussion.

Who said it was "multi-tier"? Somewhere in the chain of command, management lied to its immediate underlings, who subsequently passed what they believed to be truthful information to their underlings and then eventually the guests; very easy to accomplish with a small set of people.
If one set of people, let's call them a...I don't know..."tier" need to involve a second set of people, let's also refer to them as a "tier" to dissiminate misinformation, I believe that would involve more than one tier. A multi-tier if you will.

What I'm saying that Disney isn't spreading misinformation. They have a simple response to dismiss customers concerns about their poor business decisions. Jt04 is the one making these grandiose claims. Good lord man, is it that hard to grasp?

Ease off the TDO hate sauce for a little bit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom