Changes at DTD

SeaCastle

I don't think the mods would want those details discussed here. But yes, UNECESSARY bad stuff happened with tragic results. It's mostly kept quiet lest the "happiest place on earth" would have it's reputation tarnished. Enough said.:zipit:

The original PI concept won't be repeated at Disney anyway.

I would absolutely love to know where you're pulling all of this information from. As evidenced in your posts, you have no insider information but yet you consistently state things that are pure conjecture with no clear basis in fact.

But then again, after my years lurking on WDWMagic, should I expect any less? :shrug:

SeaCastle

Like I said a few less posts from JT would make a lot of people happy.

I have no problem with optimism. However, it's when people start to state their opinions as fact that bothers me. If they proceed to pull "facts" out of thin air, I'll say something about it.

Mouse Detective

Nope. Nothing that complex.
Someone did a presentation to "the suits" that showed how much money they could make if they were to close the under-performing clubs on PI and replace them with third-party restaurants/shops.
Certain suits saw an opportunity to impress their bosses by making a bold decision and rolling the dice by closing ALL the clubs in hopes of using the third-party operations to increase revenues. Turns out, no third-parties were very eager to have a go at it. So here we are. Two years later. The clubs still stand there empty.
Wonder how much revenue they left on the table by not keeping the profitable ones open all this time....

That is EXACTLY what happened. Lansberry and several others were wined and dined up in Minneapolis by Schussler Creative, loved some of the restaurant concepts and a month later announced the closure of all the clubs. That meeting is documented on the PI blog, with video.

As I understand it, PI thrived on the weekends but struggled Sunday-Wednesday. WDW did some calculations, and the net present value of all future cash flows from PI was a negative value. Common business sense.

The place was pretty dead during the week, less so during tourist periods or when a big convention was at or near Disney. But all night spots are generally dead during the week and thus don't open. They didn't HAVE to open every club every night.

SMRT-1

It's unbelievable to me that with the great exterior of the Adventurers Club they will be placing an outdoor "Ultra Lounge" in front of it. All while the AC sits dormant. Along with all the other clubs. I have an idea! How about they use a club or two as the "Ultra Lounge". They have all that space! Whats the thinking here? ...All they are doing is clogging up that area which affects traffic flow. I always wonder what people (that have no idea what was in the buildings before) think about these empty buildings. Do they wonder what they are doing there?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
The "Bold New Vision" for PI:

bulldozing.jpg

19_two-mimes.jpg

jt04

If things were anything near to being like your hyperbole, then there should have been an investigation into Disney's liquor practices. We discussed the monorail accident in quite a bit of detail. If the moderators have a problem with you providing a shred of evidence then let them say so, but I suspect the lack of available stories coincides with the lack of a serious problem. At the very least the reporting of the closure would have included a mention of the years of controversy and concern surrounding Pleasure Island.

That is what you should find most interesting. Namely the fact there is utter silence from those on these boards that remember the first couple years PI was opened and are aware of the issues. Remember, this was before the internet. That is why the cotroversial aspects of PI have easily been omitted from the conversation .The majority of folks on these boards were probably not even born yet. Most Disney employees from those days have moved on. Secondly, things have changed radically since those days from a legal standpoint. Now the law is clear, establishments that serve people past a certain point can be held accountable for the actions of those patrons. That, I believe, is the single biggest factor that brought down the original PI way of doing things. There is NO WAY Disney could serve that much alcohol to that many people in such an uncontrolled way without serious legal implications. in this day and age.

Even Citywalk does not push the alcohol like PI did in the early days. It is not complicated as to why. It would be illegal these days and rightfully so.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Yes, I myself often find it difficult to obtain information written before the dawn of the interwebs. If only there was some way that these newfangled online sites could store their old writings. Some sort of online vault or archive perhaps......:rolleyes:

wizards8507

I don't see what's so revolutionary about bars encouraging people to consume alcohol. I feel like every big city and every small town has bars and all of those bars serve alcohol without shutting down for fear of liability.

jt04

Yes, I myself often find it difficult to obtain information written before the dawn of the interwebs. If only there was some way that these newfangled online sites could store their old writings. Some sort of online vault or archive perhaps......:rolleyes:

Newspapers do not have searchable archives that far back available on the internet. And nobody has written a book on the history of PI yet. :rolleyes:

Email Jason Garcia. He will know the history if he is worth his salt. In other words, don't doubt me.

jt04

I don't see what's so revolutionary about bars encouraging people to consume alcohol. I feel like every big city and every small town has bars and all of those bars serve alcohol without shutting down for fear of liability.

You need to read up on the law. :wave:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Newspapers do not have searchable archives that far back available on the internet. And nobody has written a book on the history of PI yet. :rolleyes:

Email Jason Garcia. He will know the history if he is worth his salt. In other words, don't doubt me.

Sure Jt. Newspapers don't have archives that go back that far. :rolleyes: How supposedly convenient for you.

I certainly hope he's not the editor of the SavePI blog. I mean after all, that gentleman sold out....

And I pretty much refuse to take what you say with anything less that a full salt lick. Forget the grains......

wizards8507

You need to read up on the law. :wave:

I'm familiar with the law. It just doesn't apply. If you're sitting at a bar and you take 12 shots in two hours, then thats reckless and irresponsible behavior on the part of a bar tender. But, living in a college town, I know that the most irresponsible patrons split their drinking over several different locations, and neither WDW nor any of their employees would be held liable in a situation like that.

jt04

Sure Jt. Newspapers don't have archives that go back that far. :rolleyes: How supposedly convenient for you.

I certainly hope he's not the editor of the SavePI blog. I mean after all, that gentleman sold out....

And I pretty much refuse to take what you say with anything less that a full salt lick. Forget the grains......

OK, let's see if I understand. You are saying I am misinformed and you don't even know who Jason Garcia is. Brilliant.:rolleyes::ROFLOL:

Yes, Florida newspapers do not archive that far back at least on-line. And you are suprised? :hammer::lol:

71jason

That is what you should find most interesting. Namely the fact there is utter silence from those on these boards that remember the first couple years PI was opened and are aware of the issues.

Been going since 2000. Have friends who bartended on the Island before that. No idea what you are talking about. If you have no proof, kindly quit slandering them.

And if it was such an issue, why did it take Disney years to shut things down? After the tragic monorail crash last year, passengers were out of the cabs the next day--not a decade later.

Even Citywalk does not push the alcohol like PI did in the early days. It is not complicated as to why. It would be illegal these days and rightfully so.

Only because CityWalk doesn't get the crowds PI did back in the day. If you go to Mardi Gras or HHN, it's about the same. Ditto Downtown Orlando. Or Howl at the Moon.

And nobody has written a book on the history of PI yet. :rolleyes:

Actually, occasional poster Master Gracie has. :cool: Long story...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Yes they do. Here is the Orlando Sentinel's database that goes all the way back to 1985. Time to put up or shut up.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1989/may/01

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom