Changes at DTD

jt04

no walls are still up i dont know why.

It looks like that phase is finished. I guess they solved the Harley signs issue.

If I were to guess, it appears they had to remove the catwalk and steel supports to allow the next phase to commence. Now that path is wide and high enough to bring in heavy duty equipment and remove old tired warehouse-ish buildings by the tonnage. I wouldn't be suprised to see the Beach Club walled off soon.

But that is just a guess. :shrug:

VT GAL

Jeany031, that would be awesome!!!

Two of my prized possesions are a disney comic my daughter's name was snuck into and a portrait of her as Daisy Duck and then another of Daisy Duck in the same outfit by William Van Horn!

Pete C

I would love to see it revived, but so far all I see is bankruptcy. In fact, they just auctioned off all the stuff from cheyanne(sp?) Saloon. Doesn't look too bright to me, unless someone with 38 million plans on buying it and actually has the vision to make it successful.

I have the vision, the ideas, the whole place planned out. I just need the money :wave:

I read recently that the entire place will be revitalized, yet again, after the new arena opens. Expect to see a lot more retail and restaurants in that area. I don't see Ceviche going anywhere. They said that a 'national sports bar' is looking at the Saloon's space. I can only imagine this would be ESPN Zone. 55 West is rumored to have the next fine dining concept from the old Manuel's on the 28th owner. There is tons of space for all sorts of retail around that area. There just needs to be a draw...that draw is the arena. The Magic, concerts, and other events will bring more people to that side of downtown.

The last thing I want to see is Church Street Station turn back into a tourist destination. That complex should be restaurants and retail catering to locals. Being a local, I like having the tourist corridor separate from downtown.

TURKEY

I read recently that the entire place will be revitalized, yet again, after the new arena opens. Expect to see a lot more retail and restaurants in that area. I don't see Ceviche going anywhere. They said that a 'national sports bar' is looking at the Saloon's space. I can only imagine this would be ESPN Zone. 55 West is rumored to have the next fine dining concept from the old Manuel's on the 28th owner. There is tons of space for all sorts of retail around that area. There just needs to be a draw...that draw is the arena. The Magic, concerts, and other events will bring more people to that side of downtown.

The last thing I want to see is Church Street Station turn back into a tourist destination. That complex should be restaurants and retail catering to locals. Being a local, I like having the tourist corridor separate from downtown.

I don't think Disney would allow ESPN Zone be built anywhere that isn't Disney property.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes

interesting information, but I want my PI! Give me steam(mannequins) and bell bottoms and tops(8-trax) and some reincarnation of CW!

NMBC1993

I think Disney is more concerned with trying to keep the existing locations afloat then trying to open new restaurants.

Actually Disney is trying to not open any new restaurants if they can avoid it. They are only interested in getting 3rd party companies to come to Disney wanting to open a restaurant so Disney can collect a rent check.

Pete C

I think Disney is more concerned with trying to keep the existing locations afloat then trying to open new restaurants.

I don't think TDO is in charge of where new ESPN Zones are placed. Of course, on their own property they would, but outside of that it is just a business that happens to operate under the larger Disney umbrella.

I mentioned ESPN Zone more out of speculation of what national sports bar is looking at the Cheyenne Saloon rather than ESPN Zone's relationship with Disney. Honestly I completely forgot ESPN was owned by Disney. It may be a factor...it may not.

NMBC1993

I guess, but the recession has really put the brakes on most small businesses opening in downtown Orlando. Orlando has been hit harder than most cities due to the reliance on tourism.

Living in FL myself I know exaclty what you mean, I was just making a joke because more restaurants and retail has been the plan for more than a year now.

lazyboy97o

Actually Disney is trying to not open any new restaurants if they can avoid it. They are only interested in getting 3rd party companies to come to Disney wanting to open a restaurant so Disney can collect a rent check.
I was speaking about the ESPN Zone chain of restaurants.

TURKEY

I don't think TDO is in charge of where new ESPN Zones are placed. Of course, on their own property they would, but outside of that it is just a business that happens to operate under the larger Disney umbrella.

I mentioned ESPN Zone more out of speculation of what national sports bar is looking at the Cheyenne Saloon rather than ESPN Zone's relationship with Disney. Honestly I completely forgot ESPN was owned by Disney. It may be a factor...it may not.

I don't think it would come from TDO, but from Burbank. There are a few successful ESPN Zones (DL DTD, NYC, Baltimore) - all in the heart of tourist district.

I just don't see how Disney Co. would let the pretty captive audience of national and international guests on WDW property escape to a downtown area that is going to get largely locals.

It doesn't make any sense even with a new arts center and new arena. Folks largely aren't going to come from out of state for them - just the central FL area.

Building in downtown would seem to be a quick death like Denver, Atlanta, and others.

scottb411

I was speaking about the ESPN Zone chain of restaurants.

It would make the most sense for a Fox Sports Grill to open up there:

http://www.foxsportsgrill.com/

Fox Sports Grill has more of a nightclub vibe very similar to the bars and clubs in that area and all of the Magic games are shown on the Fox owned Sunshine Network and FSN Florida. They could do their pregame or postgame reports from the restaurant if they choose.

As for ESPN Zone, it makes the most sense to go into Dowtown Disney but that will make for three ESPN restaurants on property (ESPN Club @ Boardwalk, ESPN Wide World of Sports Grill at Wide World of Sports, and ESPN Zone at Downtown Disney). I still think Disney will do it since they aren't calling the Wide World of Sports restaurant the ESPNZone brand and so they should. Downtown Disney currently doesn't have a sports bar and it would be hugely popular with tourist and locals. Citywalk already has NBA City and Nascar Cafe and the closest sports bar to Downtown Disney is an Ale House that is always packed.

TURKEY

It would make the most sense for a Fox Sports Grill to open up there:

http://www.foxsportsgrill.com/

Fox Sports Grill has more of a nightclub vibe very similar to the bars and clubs in that area and all of the Magic games are shown on the Fox owned Sunshine Network and FSN Florida. They could do their pregame or postgame reports from the restaurant if they choose.

As for ESPN Zone, it makes the most sense to go into Dowtown Disney but that will make for three ESPN restaurants on property (ESPN Club @ Boardwalk, ESPN Wide World of Sports Grill at Wide World of Sports, and ESPN Zone at Downtown Disney). I still think Disney will do it since they aren't calling the Wide World of Sports restaurant the ESPNZone brand and so they should. Downtown Disney currently doesn't have a sports bar and it would be hugely popular with tourist and locals. Citywalk already has NBA City and Nascar Cafe and the closest sports bar to Downtown Disney is an Ale House that is always packed.

The club at Boardwalk would close I'm sure. People aren't going to WWoS for the food unless they are there for an actual sporting event.

1 large Zone in the Virgin building would be marvelous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom