Changes at DTD

Empress Room

Yeah, scremascape is paramount in accurate news.:lookaroun

Believe it when I see it....from a reputable source.

I guess we all have opinions about Screamscape, but it was the very first blog that broke the now-confirmed rumor that the new Disney Dream cruiseship would have a clear, water coaster. This was posted back on February 26 and not really picked up or discussed by any other fan site, so perhaps there's something to the PI demolition after all. What is obvious is that something does need to happen to PI to make it viable once again:

“the ships may feature a crazy new waterslide design that will use a clear acrylic tube that will extend quite a ways over the edge of the ship before turning back in towards the ship again for the splashdown. So the only thing between your rear end and the ocean far far below will be a thin clear tube. Creepy… and very cool.” (Screamscape, 2/26/09)

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Per Screamscape and "savePI" the demo of PI is gaining steam. That makes it official. So if you have fond memories of the Beach Club :rolleyes: etc, you may want to get over there and get your pictures and paint chips to remember it by.

A bold new vision commences.

Whatever anybody thinks of screamscape's accuracy, it is certainly not "official".

jt04

You were questioning EE's credibility.

You are the LEAST credible person here. You take opinion,wave a wand andmake it fact.

I don't question his credibility. Just his judgement about what he sees and doesn't see as "proof". The pics were posted before he said he needed proof.

As to your second point, a specific example might help. Also, I do not own, have no desire to own nor have I ever owned or waved a wand. That is a fact. :king:

WDW Vacationer

I don't question his credibility. Just his judgement about what he sees and doesn't see as "proof". The pics were posted before he said he needed proof.

As to your second point, a specific example might help. Also, I do not own, have no desire to own nor have I ever owned or waved a wand. That is a fact. :king:
Example...

Everything that happens at DtD is "The rebirth".

EPCOT Explorer

I guess we all have opinions about Screamscape, but it was the very first blog that broke the now-confirmed rumor that the new Disney Dream cruiseship would have a clear, water coaster. This was posted back on February 26 and not really picked up or discussed by any other fan site, so perhaps there's something to the PI demolition after all. What is obvious is that something does need to happen to PI to make it viable once again:

“the ships may feature a crazy new waterslide design that will use a clear acrylic tube that will extend quite a ways over the edge of the ship before turning back in towards the ship again for the splashdown. So the only thing between your rear end and the ocean far far below will be a thin clear tube. Creepy… and very cool.” (Screamscape, 2/26/09)
Drop in the bucket...:ROFLOL:

Don't confuse EE with facts. :lol:

I meant "official" with a small o. Kinda like this ---> official

:lookaroun

So I guess pictures aren't enough proof that this work is starting? :shrug:
Where are there pics? Sorry, been busy....Real Life and school calls!:wave:

jt04

Example...

Everything that happens at DtD is "The rebirth".

If you are referring to the balloon ride I think that is accurate. LMM not so much. "Bold and new" is probably just a marketing term which is why I like to use it so much. It's a bit tongue in cheek when I do. Most people here "get" my sense of humor. Don't be so serious.

Face it, Disney could install a multitude of Holodecks where people could create any experiences including the AC and people would still complain.

That said, I sincerely believe that whatever they end up doing with PI will be more enjoyable than what was there. PI was just lacking except to a relatively small band of passionate vocal fans whose wallets could not do enough to keep the concept alive.

I wish I was on the team conceptualizing the future of DTD. There is so much potential there it's frightening. I'd start by restoring the EL into one of Orlando's premiere dining destinations. And I'd move the current tenant to a new location with plenty of waterfront seating. That would be a good start.

71jason

I wish I was on the team conceptualizing the future of DTD. There is so much potential there it's frightening. I'd start by restoring the EL into one of Orlando's premiere dining destinations. And I'd move the current tenant to a new location with plenty of waterfront seating. That would be a good start.

Hard to restore a restaurant when it's third party. Walt got that. That's why he wanted to control EVERYTHING at Disney.

As for anything at DTD becoming a premiere dining destination, I don't see it happening. Sand Lake Road has too much of a head start, and its restaurants don't have to walk the line between being a true gourmet experience and catering to kids and tourists from Podunk on the dining plan who will eat nothing besides a burger or maybe a well-done steak. V&A and a couple others in the hotels have managed to do it (and, I would note, V&A bans kids), but the idea of six or eight 4 and 5-star restaurants surviving between a giant Disney store and the AMC was doomed to fail even before the economy tanked.

Admittedly, similar factors seriously wounded PI as a nightlife destination--tearing down the gates was the beginning of the end, no one wants to have to fight a parade of strollers to get their drink on. The best we can probably hope for is a seamless extension of the Marketplace; I don't know that anything else works in that space as it is currently configured.

Thunder Kz

Admittedly, similar factors seriously wounded PI as a nightlife destination--tearing down the gates was the beginning of the end, no one wants to have to fight a parade of strollers to get their drink on. The best we can probably hope for is a seamless extension of the Marketplace; I don't know that anything else works in that space as it is currently configured.

I agree 100%. IMO, the gates are what made PI work. Gates provided the exclusive "nightclub" feel, and you're right on target, double-wide strollers destroyed the party-time atmosphere. I understand the decision to remove the gates for traffic flow b/n Marketplace and WS, I just didn't agree with it for the sake of PI. If the plan was to sacrifice PI for WS, I cannot understand why WS wasn't more "bold and new." Magnetron, Starbillias, and a cigar shop are insults to DTD's potential, and I suppose that is why I am the most disappointed about PI's demise.

Recognizing that the foot traffic problem to get to WS from MP was a problem, the boats were a good effort. But, they just aren't efficient and IMO WS isn't worth the effort of getting there.

As for "bold and new," there are some really great ideas for WS and PI on the boards. Maybe it's not the disaster I perceive it to be, but I certainly hope something is in the works.

jt04

Hard to restore a restaurant when it's third party. Walt got that. That's why he wanted to control EVERYTHING at Disney.

As for anything at DTD becoming a premiere dining destination, I don't see it happening. Sand Lake Road has too much of a head start, and its restaurants don't have to walk the line between being a true gourmet experience and catering to kids and tourists from Podunk on the dining plan who will eat nothing besides a burger or maybe a well-done steak. V&A and a couple others in the hotels have managed to do it (and, I would note, V&A bans kids), but the idea of six or eight 4 and 5-star restaurants surviving between a giant Disney store and the AMC was doomed to fail even before the economy tanked.

Great perspective. You are probably right about a high end restaurant. Doesn't Disney still own the EL however? I just thougnt the original configuration was a winner and wouldn't mind them restoring it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom