Chances of TRON attraction now that movie is out?

devoy1701

Like factually abandoning actual medical care and using the robot homing dog to track me down after breaking my arm on the ski slope.

What would sell good in Future World is attractions that are not closed seasonally or changed into homes for buffets.

I did put in my original post:

If Epcot Executives and the Imagineers want to hold true to the the point of Future World (not that they have shown to really cared much in recent history)

So we agree here. But just because they have abandoned this ideal "Future World" on past occasions doesn't mean that we should just throw that out the window. We can "right" the "wrong" and not continue down that path. And I think Tron would be continue to "dumb down" Future World and the point of it.

JimboJones123

I did put in my original post:

If Epcot Executives and the Imagineers want to hold true to the the point of Future World (not that they have shown to really cared much in recent history)

So we agree here. But just because they have abandoned this ideal "Future World" on past occasions doesn't mean that we should just throw that out the window. We can "right" the "wrong" and not continue down that path. And I think Tron would be continue to "dumb down" Future World and the point of it.

The only real forward thinking pavilion, that wasn't trying to sell cool cars, was Horizons. And that was scrapped.

T-1MILLION

Hm for those that don't think it's doing good.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=tron2.htm

$245 mill worldwide is pretty damn good. 18 days

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=rapunzel.htm

Tangled is at $315 mill but clearly took longer. 41 days

It's actually doing pretty solid numbers.

Tangled was released Thanksgiving Week. That was the biggest break it had and held out through the weeks until Christmas on its own accord. Tron Legacy had two of the BIGGEST grossing FULL WEEKS in annual box office time period and still has not managed to get its production budget back domesticly. Solidly is not the word executives would use.

With the kids back in school as I said before it will now slow down quite a bit with only weekends to help it gross anything over 2 to 3 million at most a day.

if it does surpass Tangled, it will not be by much. I don't know why you are tossing Tangled in, that was not exactly a Disney smash either...but still better performing overall better than Tron has shown.

redshoesrock

Tron would absolutely water down Future World. The entire Epcot-as-theme park idea is as "a permanent world's fair". What ever-so-slight educational benefit would be gained by a Tron ride? We don't really need to tout the value of computers by 2011, do we? It would add to the larger problem of putting things in Epcot that really don't belong or fit, like Soarin'.

T-1MILLION

Tron would be perfect for Disneyquest. It has a certain fanbase and it would fit right in technologically and add a spark of life back into the fading dated Disneyquest.

I would not bet on Tron coming anywhere either way though due to topics already dicussed in this thread.

Captain Chaos

Tron would be perfect for Disneyquest. It has a certain fanbase and it would fit right in technologically and add a spark of life back into the fading dated Disneyquest.

I would not bet on Tron coming anywhere either way though due to topics already dicussed in this thread.

If anything, this would probably be the only way Tron would make it into WDW anyway... Change the name to Flynn's Arcade... Play Daft Punk with some Journey mixed in... design the front to resemble the Flynn's Arcade facade... Create the gaming grid as each floor level... Bam, Tron is represented...

As much as I'd love to see a Tron ride, I'm with the rest of you, I highly doubt it..

But then again, my expectations are low with TDO anyway...

RSoxNo1

On our show this week (coming out on Sunday), one of the things we talked about was where Tron would fit thematically. In short, we rationalized that Epcot was probably the worst of the 3 parks (obviously it wouldn't fit in the Animal Kingdom) thematically for a Tron attraction.

WDWFREAK53

Tron would absolutely water down Future World. The entire Epcot-as-theme park idea is as "a permanent world's fair". What ever-so-slight educational benefit would be gained by a Tron ride? We don't really need to tout the value of computers by 2011, do we? It would add to the larger problem of putting things in Epcot that really don't belong or fit, like Soarin'.

I agree...but it seems like any story could fit in any park if done right (granted, there may be a lot of shoe-horning).

Tron Legacy was Flynn trying to make the perfect world for peace. Use this as your story and it actually ties into World Showcase because you could show how each culture views perfection differently. Put it into Future World where Flynn is trying to build a perfect "future world" and show how it can't happen...and you battle to kill the virus (which is just trying for peace...but in turn...is at war trying to get it!)

See...it's shoehorned...but it could work.

(For the record, I don't want this in Epcot ANYWHERE...or think it belongs...just showing that almost any story can be squeezed into any park.) (And before you ask...I'm sure it could be done, but Animal Kingdom would be the hardest.)

redshoesrock

I agree...but it seems like any story could fit in any park if done right (granted, there may be a lot of shoe-horning).

Tron Legacy was Flynn trying to make the perfect world for peace. Use this as your story and it actually ties into World Showcase because you could show how each culture views perfection differently. Put it into Future World where Flynn is trying to build a perfect "future world" and show how it can't happen...and you battle to kill the virus (which is just trying for peace...but in turn...is at war trying to get it!)

A bit too shoehorned, but that's my opinion. World Showcase already is the scrubbed-up "Disney perfect" version of each home country, and Future World is about how the future will be better (dare I say...perfect?) as we all hold hands and work together - so it would clash with Tron Legacy's message that perfection is unattainable. Actually it clashes a bit with Walt's vision for the future as well.

The best place for a Tron attraction is Tomorrowland - a science fiction attraction in a science fiction themed area. If Tron isn't an E-ticket motorbike coaster or strong D-ticket "book report" ride, then the best fit would be a show. Make it like a future neon version of Medieval Times - you enter the computer world and get seated in your color section of the game grid arena. The guests cheer for their colored program combatant in their glow-in-the-dark frisbee and lightcycle battles. Hang all that on some loose story structure about...I don't know...Clu's guards trying to round everyone up and Tron shows up - "I fight for the users!" WAHHHHHH - fight - good guys win.

MKeeler

I really could see aspects of Tron in two places.

Tomorrowland is the perfect place for the world of Tron and a Tron ride. Looking at elecTronica, it seems that's the atmosphere that Tomorrowland should have at night.

Right now, I'd really just settle for Flynn's arcade to replace the useless Narnia attraction at DHS. Again, the 25 cent arcade seems to be doing really well at DCA and the location in DHS seems perfect. Architecturally, it would provide a transition from the studio look of One Man's dream to the brick Pixar Place. Additionally, thematically it provides a transition from Disney Studios to Pixar Studios via the first Disney film to really embrace computer generated imagery (with Tron also being a spark Lasseter and Pixar as well).

Fantasmic

It's not trying to achieve peace... it's trying to acheive PERFECTION.

Anyway... the movie... wasn't good. Not good enough to merit a ride tie-in

devoy1701

I thought the movie was fantastic! Very visually stimulating along with a decent storyline. The idea of trying to achieve perfection and realizing too late that perfection itself is actually not an ideal world and that imperfection is what makes life great is a wonderful overlying theme. I thought it was executed very well.

Though I would have liked to see more use of Flynn's personal lightcycle. :D

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Luckily most people disagree and thought it was a well done movie (including myself). It wasn't perfect and I would have done a few things differently, but overall it was quite enjoyable. I watched it twice in the theater.

lebeau

Luckily most people disagree and thought it was a well done movie (including myself). It wasn't perfect and I would have done a few things differently, but overall it was quite enjoyable. I watched it twice in the theater.

I don't know anyone personally who thought it was a well done movie. The best I have heard from anyone who has seen it is that it was stupid eye candy along the lines of a Transformers movie. Most people I know who have seen it do not think it was well done at all beyond the visuals.

devoy1701

I don't know anyone personally who thought it was a well done movie. The best I have heard from anyone who has seen it is that it was stupid eye candy along the lines of a Transformers movie. Most people I know who have seen it do not think it was well done at all beyond the visuals.

Check it out for yourself Lebeau. Besides some of the techno being alittle loud and overpowering the dialogue in a few frames (just before the light cycle match). I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

lebeau

Check it out for yourself Lebeau. Besides some of the techno being alittle loud and overpowering the dialogue in a few frames (just before the light cycle match). I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

I definitely will. I'm waiting for video though. We rarely make it out to the shows these days.

My point was just that while plenty of people liked it, plenty of others didn't. So there's really no basis to say "most people thought it was well made" unless there was some scientifically conducted poll I am unaware of.

I think it's safe to say that the general movie going public liked it better than critics. But given the terrible reviews, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

I expect if I watch it with low enough expectations, I will enjoy myself. Usually I am kinder to a movie I watch on Netflix than one I paid a lot to see in the theater.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

I'm looking at the User Ratings from BoxOfficeMojo, RottenTomatoes and Yahoo Movies for my basis

cynic710

personally, i loved the movie...i think it tied into the past storyline well, and the graphics and score were astounding.

with that said, even if the crowds didnt agree with my love for the film, i think an attraction has great upside to it. it just depends on the route they take. imo it needs to be fast, loud and dangerous. im thinking a dark coaster with light ribbons and techno.

look at aerosmith, even though they are my favorite band, millions dont agree, but the ride itself is a success. if there was a light cycle coaster, with an orange and blue dual coaster option, and light ribbons, i would be all about it.

lebeau

I'm looking at the User Ratings from BoxOfficeMojo, RottenTomatoes and Yahoo Movies for my basis

That's not really measuring what the majority of movie goers think. It's far from a random sample.

But it does paint a picture that suggests that the movie was well liked by the general public.

Again, I think it's safe to say general audiences liked it more than critics. I don't think you can really extrapolate beyond that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom