Chances of TRON attraction now that movie is out?

JimboJones123

Another solid weekend.

$130 so far!

Daily takes will drop from $6 mil to about $2 mil by Tuesday. Next weekend will be the big test. If it can grab another $30 mil in the next 7 days, it should be able to break $200.

flavious27

Another solid weekend.

$130 so far!

Daily takes will drop from $6 mil to about $2 mil by Tuesday. Next weekend will be the big test. If it can grab another $30 mil in the next 7 days, it should be able to break $200.

It should hit production of 170, i doubt it will get to 200 without something goofy happening or just plugging $5 - 6 million each day.

JimboJones123

It should hit production of 170, i doubt it will get to 200 without something goofy happening or just plugging $5 - 6 million each day.

With season of the Witch opening by itself this week, and Green Hornet still a week and a half away, it will be a close call. Especially with theaters dumping Gulliver before Tron from 3D.

RSoxNo1

Tron is actually holding steady in the box office. $200 million Domestic could actually happen, but I expect Green Hornet to take a lot of the Box Office on the MLK, Jr weekend.

I do think that it looks a bit more promising for a sequel and a theme park attraction now, then it did on the opening weekend.

lebeau

I do think that it looks a bit more promising for a sequel and a theme park attraction now, then it did on the opening weekend.

True.

Opening weekend, I read the negative reviews and thought Tron would sink like a stone.

Instead, it's had mostly positive word of mouth (critics be damned) and had some legs.

It may have come in under original expectations. But in a way it exceeded expectations after they were adjusted to account for terrible reviews and a weak overall box office.

flavious27

Tron is actually holding steady in the box office. $200 million Domestic could actually happen, but I expect Green Hornet to take a lot of the Box Office on the MLK, Jr weekend.

Hopefully they plan and build a ride before a movie, the ride will be built anyway if tron 3 doesn't perform.

You know a tron individual simulator ride would fit in at Innoventions.

JimboJones123

Hopefully they plan and build a ride before a movie, the ride will be built anyway if tron 3 doesn't perform.

You know a tron individual simulator ride would fit in at Innoventions.

It would be pretty cool if WDW had the guts to put a ride out before a movie is released. Better than 20+ years later. Think of the amazing synergy. Don't think that getting HP land open before 7.1 and 7.2 are out isn't helping the overall franchise a TON!

Disney'd

Now, if we were discussing a Tron ride that was just Blue Sky fun to discuss right now. TT system with surround 3D screens at part (like a tunnel of screen) and then live action/sets to. That's how I picture it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Now, if we were discussing a Tron ride that was just Blue Sky fun to discuss right now. TT system with surround 3D screens at part (like a tunnel of screen) and then live action/sets to. That's how I picture it.

There was another thread in the general discussion area about the idea for a TRON attraction.

I think there are several possible things that could be done, from something small in Innoventions (like the original TRON arcade was supposed to go in Communicore) to obviously in Tomorrowland, or even DisneyQuest (arcade already, turning part of into Flynn's arcade is obvious)

juan

I would like to see a Tron attraction

How about you enter through Flynn's arcade on Streets of America at DHS. It then opens into a huge show building with Tron "mini-land" including a lightcycle ride and of course a End of the Line bar.:D

flavious27

1. This better not come anywhere near Epcot.

2. I don't want any more simulators, "interactive", or 3d attractions. If they do it, put us in the environment. Create a real experience.

3. Ride or not we better get a sequel. That movie was just too much fun not to continue. One of the best blockbusters in years.

4. If they make an attraction, make it amazing on its own. Don't rely on the movie tie-in.

I'm not going to get my hopes too high but I'm waiting for the next one of a kind, Disney, innovative ride system/experience. They've dont it over the years since the company started and over the last several years we've gotten Test Track, Indiana Jones, ToT, Turtle Talk and many others in between. It's time we see it again. I hope this franchise is the one to bring it about. It certainly has the potential.

They to do some thing with innoventions, a tron simulator ride will bring it back to its roots in being a huge sega/video game attraction.

flavious27

It would be pretty cool if WDW had the guts to put a ride out before a movie is released. Better than 20+ years later. Think of the amazing synergy. Don't think that getting HP land open before 7.1 and 7.2 are out isn't helping the overall franchise a TON!

It is because the movies promote the ride, they should have had it built before. And yes I know that jk was in talks with disney and they could have been part of the delay; three brick tap to get into a land :hammer:

scottnj1966

I dont see a tron themed ride coming to the parks even though it would have made a great one.
They didnt do it for the first one when Epcot was brand new where it would have fit right in with how Epcot was at that time.
Unfortunately the movie did not do that well, like the first one before it.

T-1MILLION

1. This better not come anywhere near Epcot.

2. I don't want any more simulators, "interactive", or 3d attractions. If they do it, put us in the environment. Create a real experience.

3. Ride or not we better get a sequel. That movie was just too much fun not to continue. One of the best blockbusters in years.
4. If they make an attraction, make it amazing on its own. Don't rely on the movie tie-in.

I'm not going to get my hopes too high but I'm waiting for the next one of a kind, Disney, innovative ride system/experience. They've dont it over the years since the company started and over the last several years we've gotten Test Track, Indiana Jones, ToT, Turtle Talk and many others in between. It's time we see it again. I hope this franchise is the one to bring it about. It certainly has the potential.

It is not a Blockbuster, and unfortunately...not likely to get a sequel.

redshoesrock

I, or anyone here for that matter, can say for certain whether or not Tron will get a ride in the parks. I will say that I would mildly surprised if Tron did not have -some- presence in the parks for two relevant reasons.

First, Tron fits like a glove in Tomorrowland; less in DHS, but it's a movie so it counts. It would be incredibly easy (and cheap) to toss a meet-and-greet w/lightbike in either of those places. On a larger scale, Tron's story and action sequences fits themselves well with a possible ride better than most of their recent properties. Compare to a relatable movie that could also fit in Tomorrowland or DHS - WALL*E - which, while a fantastic movie, doesn't fit itself to a ride -as well- as Tron does.

Second, and more importantly, Tron provides something Disney really needs right now, another boy-centered franchise. That's not to say that girls can't like Tron (or boys can't like Cinderella for that matter), but Disney has invested quite heavily into girl-centric franchises like the Disney Princesses and Disney Fairies. They've been riding Pirates of the Caribbean for quite awhile, and while the fourth movie is coming out and the PofC franchise will still be bringing in money to the coffers, Disney knows they can't put all their eggs in one basket. Disney has already said that the Tron TV show is coming out, and there's enough toy ideas to last awhile. It makes sense to back Tron as a franchise.

devoy1701

It looks like Tron is now in the black in terms of revenues against production budget according to Box Office Mojo. WW, $196.8M against a budget of $170M.

Skip

It looks like Tron is now in the black in terms of revenues against production budget according to Box Office Mojo. WW, $196.8M against a budget of $170M.

Nah. Marketing - cost many, many more millions. It'd need to hit 200 mil domestic, + world wide #s, to maybe get in the black...

T-1MILLION

Nah. Marketing - cost many, many more millions. It'd need to hit 200 mil domestic, + world wide #s, to maybe get in the black...

Yep. You are correct.

And once agian. The theaters do not show the movies for free.

It will eventually get there with Worldwide accounted for, but its not going to be anything near what Disney wanted out of the deal.

Also foreign theaters and distributers take more than what domestic do.

Disney is still waiting to see the dollars on this investment as far as the film goes.

By the end of the run True Grit and Little Fockers will have had likely more attendance than Tron Legacy. Please note, not more MONEY but more attendance. This is due to the upcharge for 3D versions and IMAX versions of the film.

And of course money matters but in the long run, you want a film to be memorable and popular.

devoy1701

please note that I said it is in the black in terms of production costs versus box office numbers. Not that it is now turning a profit. Many people here didn't think it would get to $200M at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom