Chances of TRON attraction now that movie is out?

juan

While some people love the movie, those that don't won't necessarily make it a bad attraction.

Look at Disney's past experience where the movie wasn't "superb" but the public love the ride:
Splash Mountain -- Song of the South
Dinosaur -- Dinosaur
Epcot Fountain -- Music from the Rocketeer, Rescuers Down Under, Iron Will

T-1MILLION

While some people love the movie, those that don't won't necessarily make it a bad attraction.

Look at Disney's past experience where the movie wasn't "superb" but the public love the ride:
Dinosaur -- Dinosaur

Your examples are not the best. Song of the South was praised as a classic, it was just more recently years after its release over time that Disney blacklisted any production of it on home video.

Dinsaur came out after Countdwn to Exintinction and they made the name change to be synergy with what they hoped to be a remembered big hit movie.
EPCOT's fountain uses powerful scores..music is just one component of a film.

I see what you are going for but better examples of box office disasters that Walt himself believed in and pushed into the brains of people would be
Alice in Wonderland, Pinochio and Fantasia.

Today's Disney revolves more around synergy more often than not. Sadly, if based on a film story a good ride in itself is not going to happen unless something it is based on is good first. Disney wants to know it can make profit off it in the giftshops.

lebeau

Dinosaur -- Dinosaur

True. I don't think anyone doubts that a great attraction could be made from Tron.

But we're discussing the likelihood of Disney building a Tron attraction at WDW. I think it is unlikely they will do so unless they are pretty committed to Tron as a franchise. Before Legacy came out, it seemed like they were very committed to a Tron franchise. Now, not so much.

Given the film performed under their expecatations, will Disney still pursue sequels? Maybe, based on the fact the general populace seems to have liked the film well enough. But I think a lot of that will hinge on video sales.

(I honestly think the cartoon will be the franchise's best hope to carry on.)

If there are no sequels, will Disney commit to building an attraction? Obviously, I don't know. But it seems somewhat unlikely to me that if they did build one it would come to Orlando. About the only reason I can think of for them to do so is that our Tomorrowland is in a rather sorry state and they don't seem to know what to do with it.

lebeau

Your examples are not the best. Song of the South was praised as a classic, it was just more recently years after its release over time that Disney blacklisted any production of it on home video.

Dinsaur came out after Countdwn to Exintinction and they made the name change to be synergy with what they hoped to be a remembered big hit movie.
EPCOT's fountain uses powerful scores..music is just one component of a film.

I see what you are going for but better examples of box office disasters that Walt himself believed in and pushed into the brains of people would be
Alice in Wonderland, Pinochio and Fantasia.

Today's Disney revolves more around synergy more often than not. Sadly, if based on a film story a good ride in itself is not going to happen unless something it is based on is good first. Disney wants to know it can make profit off it in the giftshops.

Excellent points.

For better or for worse, this seems to be how Disney is doing things. So I don't think any movie is going to be used as the basis for an attraction unless Disney sees dollar signs. Tron = $ signs. But not as many as Disney was hoping for.

Maybe Tron will still get into Tomorrowland on the basis of being viewed as the best option in a weak field. I don't know. But I'd wager the enthusiasm for the idea has cooled over the last month or so.

Crazy Harry

Tangled was released Thanksgiving Week. That was the biggest break it had and held out through the weeks until Christmas on its own accord. Tron Legacy had two of the BIGGEST grossing FULL WEEKS in annual box office time period and still has not managed to get its production budget back domesticly. Solidly is not the word executives would use.

With the kids back in school as I said before it will now slow down quite a bit with only weekends to help it gross anything over 2 to 3 million at most a day.

if it does surpass Tangled, it will not be by much. I don't know why you are tossing Tangled in, that was not exactly a Disney smash either...but still better performing overall better than Tron has shown.

Two points based on bolded quotes. First of all, movies in general have slowed down significantly after the holidays, so although this is true, it is also a little misleading. And even with those small numbers, it could surpass 170 mil being at 150 now. And just for the record it is at nearly 300 mil world wide.

Secondly, Tron made 150 mil in the same amount of time that tangled made 130, so who is out performing who? :shrug:

JimboJones123

Two points based on bolded quotes. First of all, movies in general have slowed down significantly after the holidays, so although this is true, it is also a little misleading. And even with those small numbers, it could surpass 170 mil being at 150 now. And just for the record it is at nearly 300 mil world wide.

Secondly, Tron made 150 mil in the same amount of time that tangled made 130, so who is out performing who? :shrug:

Today marks the end of the big money days for the movie with Hornet taking a huge chunk of 3D. So, domestic break even with international covering the other $100 mil...

A thirdquel is buzzing already--

They would be almost idiotic not going forward with something that could be a cutting edge jawdropper.

T-1MILLION

What was misleading about it? I was using general facts of past holiday seasons ending to support the point. Actually it is making even less than what I figured it dropped down to. As Jimbojones point out, Imax and 3D screens just got The Green Hornet.

I still doubt it is going to top Tangled. Now that we get a better view of the final picture we cans see it seems Tangled outperformed Tron (both domestic and international as of right now) although Tangled's budget was reportedly huge so that is still lackluster in a business sense. Both films were mediocre success.

Crazy Harry

What was misleading about it? I was using general facts of past holiday seasons ending to support the point. Actually it is making even less than what I figured it dropped down to. As Jimbojones point out, Imax and 3D screens just got The Green Hornet.

I still doubt it is going to top Tangled. Now that we get a better view of the final picture we cans see it seems Tangled outperformed Tron (both domestic and international as of right now) although Tangled's budget was reportedly huge so that is still lackluster in a business sense. Both films were mediocre success.

I found it misleading because Tron is not the only movie doing poorly day to day right now, they are all doing poorly.

Again, Tangled has been out longer and Tron made more money in it's 27 days than Tangled did. Tron has also not made less than Tangled on any given day since its release, so again I ask, how is Tangled out performing Tron? If we are simply going by total gross regardless of release I could say that Tron is outperforming True Grit and the Little Fockers :drevil: which I don't really beleive but you seem to :animwink:

flavious27

I found it misleading because Tron is not the only movie doing poorly day to day right now, they are all doing poorly.

Again, Tangled has been out longer and Tron made more money in it's 27 days than Tangled did. Tron has also not made less than Tangled on any given day since its release, so again I ask, how is Tangled out performing Tron? If we are simply going by total gross regardless of release I could say that Tron is outperforming True Grit and the Little Fockers :drevil: which I don't really beleive but you seem to :animwink:

You do know that tangled was released 23 days before Tron, correct? That is why tron has not been beaten by tangled during any day of its run so far.

Looking at total grosses, Tangled has pulled in 356 million, Tron has pulled in 294 million; tangled has made 62 million more. For tron to gross the same amount in the same run, it would need to pull in an average of 2.6 million each day. Hate to disappoint you but it won't do that with 2.6 and 2.7 friday and sundays.

Both movies did not make enough to justify their production budgets and without knowing how much the post production and marketing costs were, we do not know how much of a profit if any these movies had.

T-1MILLION

You do know that tangled was released 23 days before Tron, correct? That is why tron has not been beaten by tangled during any day of its run so far.

Looking at total grosses, Tangled has pulled in 356 million, Tron has pulled in 294 million; tangled has made 62 million more. For tron to gross the same amount in the same run, it would need to pull in an average of 2.6 million each day. Hate to disappoint you but it won't do that with 2.6 and 2.7 friday and sundays.

Both movies did not make enough to justify their production budgets and without knowing how much the post production and marketing costs were, we do not know how much of a profit if any these movies had.

Thank you.

And sorry Crazy Larry I found nothing misleading about my posts. I honestly have tried. Business is down for cinema in the US as a year, but there were still movies that did great. Harry Potter and the deathly hallows part 1, Inception, Dispicable Me etc.. and more recently True Grit and Little Fockers (both of which are going to pass Tron Legacy in attendance figures since 3D and IMAX cost more money, thus why they fall harder on home video than non 3D formatted movies as well as the fact at home it is just not exciting)

However, out of all of these since Tron was given the best two weeks a new movie can get of the year..it was lackluster.

Maerj

Well, it doesn't matter if it was lackluster or not. $300 million is $300 million and if the next movie has a bit more action and less backstory, which I am sure it will it still has the potential to make much more money than this one. Also there is the merchandise sales, which can be a lot more than theater ticket sales. The Tron toys seem to be selling pretty well.

They are working on an animated Tron tv series, Tron Uprising, with an all star voice cast. This has been announced already. They are also saying that Disney is about to give the official greenlight to another Tron film, so the possibility of a Tron attraction in the future would be a possibility.

Tron Uprising: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tron:_Uprising

Tron sequel news: http://www.moviehole.net/201135663-tron-3-prepares-to-get-its-game-on

Really good article discussing the philosophy of Tron Legacy: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47947

Seriously, check out the last one there, its a good read.

Cmdr_Crimson

Here's something amuzing..If anyone has ever seen Disneyland's 30th Birthday Celebration from 1985. During the Pointer Sisters Neutron Dance you will see TRON Dancers..It looks like they were trying to promote the movie any way they could..
[youtube]G6FYi-wvbiY[/youtube]

flavious27

Well, it doesn't matter if it was lackluster or not. $300 million is $300 million and if the next movie has a bit more action and less backstory, which I am sure it will it still has the potential to make much more money than this one. Also there is the merchandise sales, which can be a lot more than theater ticket sales. The Tron toys seem to be selling pretty well.

They are working on an animated Tron tv series, Tron Uprising, with an all star voice cast. This has been announced already. They are also saying that Disney is about to give the official greenlight to another Tron film, so the possibility of a Tron attraction in the future would be a possibility.

Tron Uprising: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tron:_Uprising

Tron sequel news: http://www.moviehole.net/201135663-tron-3-prepares-to-get-its-game-on

Really good article discussing the philosophy of Tron Legacy: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47947

Seriously, check out the last one there, its a good read.

$300 million is not $300 million because production, post production and marketing costs are different for each movie. The production cost for tron was $170, the marketing cost was anywhere between $50 - $100 million. Also, the theaters get a cut of the film, so the close to 294 million it has made to date is not all going back to the mousehouse.

This is why disney dropped the narnia franchise, the budgets and revenue sharing cut out any kind of profit.

Crazy Harry

I was responding to the fact that T-1million is saying that Tangled IS out performing Tron which at no point thus far is that true, so my argument was merly debunking his claim. Tron having been out 23-24 days has made about 20 million more than Tangled in it's first 23-24 days. And at no time has Tangled made more on a single day than Tron which disproves the claim that Tangled has outperformed Tron at any point thus far. I understand that a newer movie is more likely to make more than an older movie on a day to day basis, this statement was merly made within the context of the claim being debunked. Although, Guiliver's Travels has shown the newer movie doesn't always make more money even if in wide release.

And of course you did not mention t-1million's claim that Tangled is outperforming Tron based on current total gross although Tangled has been out 23 more days than Tron. If that is a valid statement that Tangled is doing better than Tron because of total gross thus far, then it would also have to be true that Tron is outperforming True Grit and Little Fockers because it has grossed more so far.

And to t-1million, I should have said that I found the statement misleading (because it's more me and my overly analytical nature) , but I made it very clear what i found misleading about it. All movies (untill today anyways ;)) are hurting from slow buisness, yet you isolated Tron. So it is true that Tron slowed, probally from kids going back to school, sure, but so did every other movie. So in the context of at least making its budget back, the statment was not misleading, but mixed in with the discussion about how Tron is performing relative to other movies it is misleading. Especially when we are discussing performance at the box office, there is a huge difference between Tron making 800k and the best movie making 1.3 million vs Tron making 800k and the best movie making 5 mill or more lets say. In one scenario ALL movies are slow and in the other Tron itself is slow for aforementioned reasons, that's all I'm saying :lookaroun

Could Tangled outperform Tron in the long run, I will admit that is surely possible, but only time will tell that. I'm sorry that I can't buy into the notion simply on T-1million's claims concidering he has already jumped the gun t-1million times :ROFLOL: .

flavious27

I was responding to the fact that T-1million is saying that Tangled IS out performing Tron which at no point thus far is that true, so my argument was merly debunking his claim. Tron having been out 23-24 days has made about 20 million more than Tangled in it's first 23-24 days. And at no time has Tangled made more on a single day than Tron which disproves the claim that Tangled has outperformed Tron at any point thus far. I understand that a newer movie is more likely to make more than an older movie on a day to day basis, this statement was merly made within the context of the claim being debunked. Although, Guiliver's Travels has shown the newer movie doesn't always make more money even if in wide release.

And of course you did not mention t-1million's claim that Tangled is outperforming Tron based on current total gross although Tangled has been out 23 more days than Tron. If that is a valid statement that Tangled is doing better than Tron because of total gross thus far, then it would also have to be true that Tron is outperforming True Grit and Little Fockers because it has grossed more so far.

And to t-1million, I should have said that I found the statement misleading (because it's more me and my overly analytical nature) , but I made it very clear what i found misleading about it. All movies (untill today anyways ;)) are hurting from slow buisness, yet you isolated Tron. So is it true that Tron slowed, probally from kids going back to school, sure, but so did every other movie. So in the context of at least making its budget back, the statment was not misleading, but mixed in with the discussion about how Tron is performing relative to other movies it is misleading. Especially when we are discussing performance at the box office, there is a huge difference between Tron making 800k and the best movie making 1.3 million vs Tron making 800k and the best movie making 5 mill or more lets say. In one scenario ALL movies are slow and in the other Tron itself is slow for aforementioned reasons, that's all I'm saying :lookaroun

Could Tangled outperform Tron in the long run, I will admit that is surely possible, but only time will tell that. I'm sorry that I can't buy into the notion simply on T-1million's claims concidering he has already jumped the gun t-1million times :ROFLOL: .

coul_redb_inte_2008_2_470313.jpg

LoehnWolf

I (along with many critics) believe the film will make a ton of money, despite it's shortcomings.

And the unfortunate part is, with a stronger movie script and better actors, Disney could have EASILY had that winner. They truly tripped on the finish line with this movie.

Better actors?? Say WHAT?? Who better than Jeff bridges?? Who better than Michael Sheen?? Bruce Boxleitner will never win an Oscar, but he almost HAD to be in this one..Characters yes, I will totally agree, but better ACTORS?? That was one of the strong points..

flavious27

Better actors?? Say WHAT?? Who better than Jeff bridges?? Who better than Michael Sheen?? Bruce Boxleitner will never win an Oscar, but he almost HAD to be in this one..Characters yes, I will totally agree, but better ACTORS?? That was one of the strong points..

Even bad actors can bring in the crowds, case in point:

haydenc.jpg

CThaddeus

Even bad actors can bring in the crowds, case in point:

haydenc.jpg

He's not a bad actor. I've seen him in plenty of other films and he's quite good. For some reason, I think George must have told him to play it wooden. Look at the kid in Episode I. I thought I was watching cardboard there, too. Now if you really want an "actor" who can inexplicably bring in crowds I give you Adam Sandler, Jim Carey, Sylvester Stallone, or Arnold.

flavious27

He's not a bad actor. I've seen him in plenty of other films and he's quite good. For some reason, I think George must have told him to play it wooden. Look at the kid in Episode I. I thought I was watching cardboard there, too. Now if you really want an "actor" who can inexplicably bring in crowds I give you Adam Sandler, Jim Carey, Sylvester Stallone, or Arnold.

Jim Carrey has to stop with so many FF comedies movies, he has done pretty well when he is actually acting. The Truman Show, The Majestic and Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events are some really good movies. He pulled off being Andy Kaufman in Moon on the Moon; he did well with what he was given for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

As for the other actors, yes they just show up and the mess on the floor is the product of their "skill".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom